Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2017, 15:29   #1
BHPian

Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakhs

Mercedes Benz E220d launched at ₹57.14 Lakhs ex-showroom Pune. It is exactly a lakh costlier than the entry level E200 petrol and 12.3 lakhs cheaper than the E350d V6 diesel. It has a new 2.0L engine replacing the older 2.1L and producing 194hp and 400Nm of torque.

The new all aluminium engine OM654 weighs 168kg. The E220d does 0-100kmph in 7.8s.

Source

Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakhs-img_20170602_151937.jpg
Shanksta is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2017, 13:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Driven: 2017 Mercedes E-Class

Here's the AUTOCAR review of the E220d.

* Loses out on the Burmester Audio system and memory function seats. But has Android auto and Apple Carplay.

* No air suspension, gets standard steel springs. But the ride still remains E-class good. Good thing you don't have to worry about costly air suspension replacement outside the warranty period.

Last edited by Shanksta : 3rd June 2017 at 13:50.
Shanksta is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 10:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakhs

Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakh - Posts moved to a new thread.
Old 5th June 2017, 19:03   #4
Team-BHP Support

So basically seems to be the same spec as the E200. The pricing too is spot on. So these are about 65-70% of what the S class gives you. But the E350cdi is maybe 85% of what the S gives you with the addition of the airmatic, and Burmester system. What the S has which these don't is the more comfortable fully adjustable back seats, and of course the ultimate noise insulation and overall comfort.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2017, 19:21   #5
BANNED

Great pricing and spec. Good to see the backseat is unchanged and is what makes the new E hit with the backseat drivers. But an optional Airmatic suspension would be great to see . Now let's hope to see this new Engine in all Mercs except the S and GLS as quickly as possible. The 2.1 is quite clattery.

And with this I'm just worried about the G30 5 series, while the keen drivers will still go for this, but they are too small in number. The backseat of that car is obviously not going to be any match for the E and the pricing won't be any cheaper than 3-4 lacs. They absolutely will have to match the Merc with a LWB variant. I would love to be proven wrong, but the excellent 5 series already seems to have poor prognosis.
Old 6th June 2017, 19:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
So basically seems to be the same spec as the E200. The pricing too is spot on. So these are about 65-70% of what the S class gives you. But the E350cdi is maybe 85% of what the S gives you with the addition of the airmatic, and Burmester system. What the S has which these don't is the more comfortable fully adjustable back seats, and of course the ultimate noise insulation and overall comfort.
And the sheer size, presence and snob value of owning an S-Class

This is a great car and even with the slight loss in features over the E350d its a great price and VFM offering from Mercedes. I almost feel a little violated for having spent so much money on the S350cdi when this could he had for less than half that price.
Porcupine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 01:26   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a question for those on T-BHP with long experience. This car is priced exactly the same as the Lexus ES300H. When the Lexus was introduced in March the thread was loaded with views that the pricing was off by Rs. 5 to 10 lakhs. But the E220 it seems is considered fairly priced at the same Rs. 57 lakhs despite no hybrid, a smaller engine and (maybe) a boot space eating stepney. I am just curious. Or maybe it is about perceptions of the two brands amongst T-BHPians and Autocar.
V.Narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 02:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
This is a question for those on T-BHP with long experience. This car is priced exactly the same as the Lexus ES300H. When the Lexus was introduced in March the thread was loaded with views that the pricing was off by Rs. 5 to 10 lakhs. But the E220 it seems is considered fairly priced at the same Rs. 57 lakhs despite no hybrid, a smaller engine and (maybe) a boot space eating stepney. I am just curious. Or maybe it is about perceptions of the two brands amongst T-BHPians and Autocar.
It's slightly a perception thing, but also the way Lexus markets the ES internationally. According to me (and no offence to anybody, as these are my personal opinions), I would say the main reasons would be:
  • The Lexus even though its the same size as the E, it's viewed more or less as a souped up Toyota Camry/Avalon, and the similarities are hard to escape; it's not viewed as a true luxury sedan. Whereas the E-Class is a full blown mid-size luxury sedan, almost the definition of the phrase.
  • Internationally, the ES range is priced more similarly to the C-Class range. The GS range, which are larger sedans than the ES are marketed against the E-Class - from a price perspective.
  • The current version of the ES is actually a facelift (which happened in 2015) of the model which was launched in 2012 - so it's already ageing. Whereas the new E-Class is brand new
  • Also, it's about the actual offering and the product. The ES is a front wheel drive, hybrid who's main focus is on fuel economy; whereas the E-Class is all about luxury and the driving.
  • Lastly, like you mentioned, its a brand perception thing. Mercedes vs. Lexus. Badge, snob value, that sort of thing.
Porcupine is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 8th June 2017, 10:29   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
It's slightly a perception thing, but also the way Lexus markets the ES internationally.
  • Internationally, the ES range is priced more similarly to the C-Class range. The GS range, which are larger sedans than the ES are marketed against the E-Class - from a price perspective.
  • Also, it's about the actual offering and the product. The ES is a front wheel drive, hybrid who's main focus is on fuel economy; whereas the E-Class is all about luxury and the driving.
  • Lastly, like you mentioned, its a brand perception thing. Mercedes vs. Lexus. Badge, snob value, that sort of thing.
Thank you Porcupine. Lucid explanation.
V.Narayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 10:05   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
I was going to reply to this when I got some time but I just saw the reply by Porcupine which is bang on the money.

The real competition to the E class is the GS and not the ES and Mercedes have upped the game even more by getting the LWB to India. Had it been the regular wheel base Benz, then it would have been a closer contest.

The Lexus actually has a lot going for it and if not for the Merc E class which is now in a different league would have been a fantastic option considering the pricing of the CBU ES is not too bad.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2017, 17:15   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I was going to reply to this when I got some time but I just saw the reply by Porcupine which is bang on the money.

The real competition to the E class is the GS and not the ES and Mercedes have upped the game even more by getting the LWB to India. Had it been the regular wheel base Benz, then it would have been a closer contest.

The Lexus actually has a lot going for it and if not for the Merc E class which is now in a different league would have been a fantastic option considering the pricing of the CBU ES is not too bad.
Thank you for your reply and explanation.
Old 19th June 2017, 12:43   #12
BHPian

The new E class was on display yesterday at Mumbai Phoenix Mall with Luxury trim grill. I always thought that with Long Wheel Base version, luxury trim grill looks so much better and gives statesman like feel. But upon talking to the sales guy, i found out that luxury grill option is not available in India and if I have to change from sporty to Luxury grill, it will cost me almost 2 lakh extra. Doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't Mercedes actually release this trim or latest make Grill choice optional as per order.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakhs-e-class.png  

JoyPangli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2017, 13:22   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPangli View Post
The new E class was on display yesterday at Mumbai Phoenix Mall with Luxury trim grill. I always thought that with Long Wheel Base version, luxury trim grill looks so much better and gives statesman like feel. But upon talking to the sales guy, i found out that luxury grill option is not available in India and if I have to change from sporty to Luxury grill, it will cost me almost 2 lakh extra. Doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't Mercedes actually release this trim or latest make Grill choice optional as per order.
The photo that you have posted, the car looks double the price it costs IMO, the current grille makes it so similar to a C class, and the classic Merc grille makes the resemblence to S class so obvious. If i were buying the car, I would get the grille by hook or by crook. You could look at some international websites or any other custom modding guys such as autopsyche who could get you the grille.
Old 19th June 2017, 16:01   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoyPangli View Post
, i found out that luxury grill option is not available in India and if I have to change from sporty to Luxury grill, it will cost me almost 2 lakh extra. Doesn't make any sense. Shouldn't Mercedes actually release this trim or latest make Grill choice optional as per order.
The best looking grill on the new E is the one that comes on the AMG models. Similar to the one on the A-class.

Here is a pic of it. However, I saw it in flesh last week in London and it look even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Mercedes-Benz E 220d launched at Rs. 57.14 lakhs-2017esedane43amg034mcfo.jpg  

Sahil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th June 2017, 12:33   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
... and the classic Merc grille makes the resemblence to S class so obvious... custom modding guys such as autopsyche who could get you the grille.
I also feel Mercedes India think that the classic Mercedes grille would somehow lessen the differentiation between E Class and the S Class, more so with the current LWB E Class.

Funny though, I remember replacing my W210's stock grille with a "sports grille" some years ago. I was advised by the workshop to keep the original grille and fit it back at the time of resale, as a replacement grille would arouse suspicions of crash damage and 'outside workshop repairs' the latter being some sort of an 'anathema' for MBIL cars back then. But I did not need it eventually, as it was my friend who bought the car from me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks