Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2017, 20:20   #1366
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Normal Fiat dealer in Mysore sells Jeep Compass. I live near to the showroom and used to have a look everyday. There were Punto, Linea, Urban Cross and Compass on display and few Fiat TD cars outside. Today there were only Compass (4 of them on display and 1 TD car) and Fiat cars not to be seen at all .

It looks like they are giving long TD to customers. I have spotted the TD car multiple times today. I am planning to visit tomorrow

Attaching the price list which I got in a whatsapp group (On road price : Mysore, Karnataka)
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170731_202135.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 31st July 2017 at 20:23.
Dr.Naren is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:27   #1367
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
What's with ladies and this design?
It's not just the design, but the overall solid feel, presence, and the car have loads of character! Though quite minimalist in nature, the cabin has a quality feel and doors felt so heavy. Even more, the sales manager asked her to try lift up the bonnet - mighty impressed

I may do a TD in the next couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
Black or Red would look lovely.
Will keep an eye on KL 08 registered bhpian car from Hyson next time i'm in town
Not sure if I will book one this time; just seeing the options
They said if booked now, the delivery will be somewhere around Sep/Oct.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:34   #1368
BHPian

Outstanding pricing by Jeep!!!

Was expecting it to start at 16 to 22 lakhs ex showroom.

For those doubters, just drive the vehicle once. It is one marvellously engineering car.

Fantastic balance between ride and handling coupled with a great Engine/Gearbox combo.

This car has character and soul.

No point even comparing it to the Hyundais. Duster is the closest I could compare to given the Compact SUV and brilliant dynamics similarities.

I feel this is an even better Duster with more quality and a better engine.

Cannot wait to buy one.

Great Job FCA!!!

P.S: For those worrying about GC, the 178 mm is Fully Laden figure. Unladen is more than 200 mm.

Last edited by Flash777 : 31st July 2017 at 20:35. Reason: Adding GC figures.
Flash777 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:39   #1369
BHPian

The Jeep dealership in Kochi doesn't seem to be stocking or selling the Compass. A call today and Dad was directed to the Thrissur Dealership!

Wonder why Jeep would do that! Kochi seems to be a more logical choice especially when they have a showroom there!
Old 31st July 2017, 20:50   #1370
BHPian

Brilliant efforts from FCA!! Well rounded full of character and timeless styling. FCA is comparing this with the entry level SUVs of the holy trinity and not the Hyundai's of the world. Jeep brand is a big pull for me personally.

Booked one today, top-of-the-line automatic petrol.
wordsworth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:50   #1371
BHPian

Witnessed this view outside KHT Prime motors, Bangalore. Their fb page also consists of same photo and captioned as "Jeep Compass ready for test drives."
Point to note - all of them are diesel only, Petrol is not yet available for Test drive. (Got this info from comments section).
Compass in Red looks like to be a Base Variant with Normal Reflector Halogen Headlamps.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-compass.jpg  

Last edited by Highh5 : 31st July 2017 at 20:53.
Highh5 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 20:52   #1372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
The Jeep dealership in Kochi doesn't seem to be stocking or selling the Compass. A call today and Dad was directed to the Thrissur Dealership!

Wonder why Jeep would do that! Kochi seems to be a more logical choice especially when they have a showroom there!

This is to allow margins to the dealers, out of the two FIAT dealers we have in Hyderabad only one was given the option to sell Jeep. From what I know Jeep would be inviting fresh applications again in October and some of the existing dealers can try their luck again then.

Cheers,
Pradeep.
Old 31st July 2017, 20:58   #1373
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdma View Post
This is to allow margins to the dealers, out of the two FIAT dealers we have in Hyderabad only one was given the option to sell Jeep. From what I know Jeep would be inviting fresh applications again in October and some of the existing dealers can try their luck again then.

Cheers,
Pradeep.
It's not about margins. I believe not all dealerships wanted to invest a lot more into FCA. This situation should change now, seeing the prices and pre-bookings.
Old 31st July 2017, 21:11   #1374
BHPian

So finally the prices are out! Is within the expected range that most people hoped for though the base variants seem a little too expensive.

I haven't driven the compass but going by some reviews, the negatives include lesser features and smallish interiors(Strict 4 seater!) and questionable Service support,while the positives include solid build quality, powerful engines and excellent looks.

Now this reminds me of the ecosport when it was launched, had the build quality, powerful enough engines and the looks. Was let down by the interior space and features. Ford service was also not that great.It sold well but not as well as we hoped for.
I hope FCA doesnt do a ford and start increasing their prices.

Now my dad was looking out for a Diesel auto SUV and the compass wasnt even in contention since i knew jeep wouldn't be pricing it against the mid variants of the XUV500 and plus we wanted an AT.Now even if jeep offered a diesel auto, at these prices, its a bit over budget and the base variants are basic for the price quoted.

Hence i feel this compass will sell,but not as much as expected and hopefully the sales and resale value of the 7 seaters wont be affected much(i pray!). There would be some cross shopping for those who want a dimensionally smaller SUV and hence the likes of the XUV,hexa and creta would see a temporary dip in sales,albeit a small dip.

After all this i think now is the best time to start extracting discounts from mahindra!

Last edited by rambo1o1 : 31st July 2017 at 21:12.
Old 31st July 2017, 21:12   #1375
Senior - BHPian

The Compass is a very good SUV- 4x4 for the weekend off-roaders, petrol AT for the city commuters, and the diesel AT (hopefully sooner than later) will offer something for everyone. Normally, I prefer small cars that have good power - hot hatches. They are the most practical cars to own in India. But with the state of our roads and the constant construction work going on, I'm now gradually accepting the fact that small SUVs are the next best thing.

The Compass has a good ride quality (second only to the Duster), good steering feedback (despite being an EPS), safety kit, powerful 2.0-litre diesel and is small compared to the full blown SUVs. The compass is just 431mm longer than the 4m hatches (4,420mm vs 3989 mm of Punto). I'm impressed with the vehicle. This compact SUV turns heads on the road. Will be a perfect travel companion for the Indian road traveller. One can take the Compass easily from Leh to Kanyakumari without any worries.

Cracker of a pricing, while we all are appreciating the company to price the Jeep such aggressively, we must also pray that people buy it.

Quoting from the Abarth Punto review -
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
For all of its poor sales numbers, you have to credit Fiat (FCA) with one thing - they give the enthusiast the tools he desires. The Palio 1.6, Linea T-Jet and now the Abarth Punto.
Or in other words, FCA makes the best in class vehicles (okay, not the best all-round, but at least in the engine, suspension and handling dept.), but no one buys them. I hope this is not true in the case of the Compass. FCA has put in a lot of effort on this Jeep and hope they have the best of success with her(him/it ?). Will be eagerly awaiting official Team-BHP review and the ownership threads of the buyers. On a side note, how many Linea and Punto owners here are looking for an upgrade and have been holding on for a while ?

Last edited by blackwasp : 31st July 2017 at 21:16.
blackwasp is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:17   #1376
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raneeth View Post
Did you check with Hyson or Pinnacle? I had gone to the Pinnacle Jeep showroom in Kalamassery last month. They had the Compass on display (along with the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee).
Old 31st July 2017, 21:23   #1377
Senior - BHPian

Suddenly, Fiat is back...

As of today, everything points towards the north for the Compass. Buttt, if FCA cannot deliver the vehicles in time, cannot meet the expectations in time, cannot accept and acknowledge the possible gremlins that can come along with a new vehicle (I know it's not Mahindra or Tata, still..) in time and cannot energize the sales and support frontline in time...

We the TBHPians will see it as a great car, but India will see it as another Palio GTX, another Punto, another avventura. The real battleground for the Compass is not in the magazine shootouts and the expected TBHP review (that will surely create a new benchmark in page views).

The Compass will meet it's fate inside the service floors, the dealer spareparts inventory and the showroom floors.

Just my 2c, from an experienced, loyal Fiat owner and well-wisher.
sandeepmdas is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:23   #1378
Senior - BHPian

I want to buy this tomorrow. This is the most surprising pricing in recent times. I was unable to understand why was the Compass being compared to Hexa in the video reviews. Now we know!
Old 31st July 2017, 21:49   #1379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
I want to buy this tomorrow. This is the most surprising pricing in recent times. I was unable to understand why was the Compass being compared to Hexa in the video reviews. Now we know!
Hehe! i am also compelled to do an impulsive buy

but, just re-visiting the Hexa pricing i feel that Feature on Feature, Compass is still on a handicap , e.g.

Compass Sport (15.45) Hexa XM (12.80)
Hexa gets +4 Speakers, Projector Headlamps, Reverse parking sensors, LED Tail lamps, 400NM Engine, Super drive modes, Rear AC, 2 more seats/luggage space, scuff plates, in-built sun blinds etc.

Hexa XMA, XTA have no competition being Diesel Automatics

Compass Limited (18.05) Hexa XT (15.03)
Hexa gets 19"Alloys, +3 Speakers & subwoofer, Cruise control, +4 Airbags, Traction control, Hill decent control, Middle row captain seats, Automatic headlamp and wipers

Compass Limited 4x4 (19.95) Hexa XT 4x4 (16.23)
More ground clearance, bigger wheels, torque'er engine, cruise control

Compass is a great alternative to overpriced vehicles like Creta, Tiguan, Tucson, MU-X and CRV, not to Hexa IMHO
Moto$apien is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 31st July 2017, 21:51   #1380
BHPian

Indeed it is great pricing. I am a bit worried by the "safe bet" buying practices of the majority of Indian car buyers though.The TATA HEXA being a good example of losing out on the runaway success it could have been due to this reason. Another aspect that could hold buyers back is the smallness (not a 7/8 seater as compared to the competition). Hope they put out a 7/8 seater vehicle at a killer pricing soon. I am itching to see some real competition for Toyota.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks