Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2017, 11:15   #976
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
All in all, I wouldn't want to pay any more than 15-16 lakhs on this car.(ex showroom) Keep in mind this is because I don't have a use for the very capable 4x4 system or the tank like build(Which btw I will not believe until there is a crash test of an Indian spec car). The features look good but nothing spectacular. One thing which Jeep could add to atleast enhance the feeling of space would be the Panoramic roof.
Just curious where did you check out the compass near Mamc I thought the nearest dealer is at mathura road only. Wanted to know since am frequenting ito these days (thameem). Coming to the Jeep compass how did you find the space in the back and the front. Is it significantly more than the ecosport. Considering the estimated on road price would be twice the ecosport I expect it to have a spacious cabin. The engines and the specs look all good it's just the pricing that will make or break the product. Jeep should keep the base model price to below 15L to make this product an instant hit. Let's hope it establishes FCA back in india.
Old 8th July 2017, 11:27   #977
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

This is what I'm seeing on in this thread -

Let me try an analogy.

Four watch brands

- Fast Track
- Fossil
- Citizen
- Tissot

And Tissot is launching a brand new watch in the market.

1. A guy who owns the Fast Track goes and checks it out and concludes -

My watch has a bigger dial, has both Analog and Digital display and the Tissot has only one, and I bought it for 800 bucks but that Tissot costs 40,000 Rs. What non-sense!!!

2. A guy who owns the Fossil goes and checks it out and concludes -

Hey mine is a international brand too and displays time like how Tissot does, but mine costs 5000 bucks, but the Tissot... Where is the Value for money??!!

3. A guy who owns the Citizen.. -

Mine costs 18,000 bucks, has chronograph, weather display, etc. but the Tissot.. Japanese are the best! Period.

---------

Guys, comparisons are inevitable, but let's keep it meaningful!

As enthusiasts, let us take the time and learn what has gone on into building a product than by just visiting the showroom, comparing with what we own and commenting based on what we see..

Last edited by CliffHanger : 8th July 2017 at 11:28.
CliffHanger is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 11:54   #978
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It is a Harman Kardon OE system and has good sound
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Great to hear its a Harmon Kardon system.
Are you sure it's a Harman Kardon system? Any definite sources or just the sales rep?

The reason I'm asking is because Harman website mentions only Jeep Grand Cherokee as their partner products. It's a 19 speaker Harman system on the Cherokee.

http://www.harmankardon.com/content?...utomotive-jeep

Also, even in the US - the optional high end audio system on the Compass is a BeatsAudio Premium II Audio System with nine speakers, a 12-channel amp and subwoofer.

Not sure if India will get such high end audio hardware though.

https://www.jeep.com/compass/interior.html

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 8th July 2017 at 12:02.
Old 8th July 2017, 12:02   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Are you sure it's a Harman Kardon system? Any definite sources or just the sales rep?

The reason I'm asking is because Harman website mentions only Jeep Grand Cherokee as their partner products. It's a 19 speaker Harman system on the Cherokee.

http://www.harmankardon.com/content?...utomotive-jeep

Also, even in the US - the optional high end audio system on the Compass is a BeatsAudio Premium II Audio System with nine speakers, a 12-channel amp and subwoofer.

Not sure if India will get high end audio hardware though.

https://www.jeep.com/compass/interior.html
That is what the Jeep saleman told me and here is one video review which also mentions the same.

Last edited by Behemoth : 8th July 2017 at 12:03.
Behemoth is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 12:49   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
If FCA is aiming only at the enthusiasts which is a small % of the car buyers, then it is okay to price it much higher than Creta. But if it wants some decent numbers with its petrol 2 wheel drive variant, it needs to be priced close to Creta.
Yes indeed! Jeep surely will have to price it very competitively, that's for sure. Then again, if Jeep was targeting only a handful of enthusiasts, wouldn't they have just gone the CKD route and introduced a fully equipped Compass for 30 lakh (Do a Tiguan, as we say). I get it that India is being used as an efficient manufacturing hub for it's global operations, but so far Jeep seems to have made all the right noises. But I doubt they are gonna price it at Creta levels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
I stated that the Compass is a good upgrade for people like me who own a Rapid. I did not compare both cars like to like. Secondly, Octavia, Elantra and the Jeep Compass are bound to be in the same price territory and there is an overlap of customers in this D segment space since the numbers seem very small hence i had mentioned that the Compass may be looking a little less loaded in terms of features when compared to these cars.
+1 to that I own a Vento and is currently looking for an upgrade. VW surely has made a lasting impression and my default choice was the Jetta. Because it was discontinued, I was hoping to go for the next best thing..the Octavia. I thought Jeep would price the Compass at par/above the Tucson, so dropped it off my radar until rumors stated that starting prices will be close to 14-15L. Attended unveiling functions at 2 different dealers and I felt exactly what you told. It's a worthy contender for the D segment sedans. Agree space and practicality takes a back seat. But if the reviews are anything to go by, I wouldn't mind trading them off for fun driving, stable ride and handling.
Old 8th July 2017, 15:36   #981
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
No offence to your views, but have we come to the point of comparing the compass to every car around? And especially the cheaper ones?

But now comparing it with the ecosport? I get the point that you own one, so comparisons are inevitable,
Just because FCA ain't in the best situation in India and they haven't disclosed the prices ( their mistake for sure) it doesn't mean that we start comparing apples to oranges.
The first reason I compared them is because obviously it is a more objecctive way to judge a car. Just sitting in back and thinking how comfortable this is, doesn't give me much to measure. The most obvious thing would be to compare to a car I own.

2nd, The Ecosport is another crossover SUV, and if you take away the 4x4 system of the compass and consider than it weighs close to 1800Kgs, you wil notice that the Power to weight ratio of an EcoBoost ecosport is nearly identical to the Compass Petrol. That reflects in the 11-12 sec 0-100 time that Overdrive magazine recorded. And I know for a fact that Ecosport drives and handles great for an enthusiast. You can see where I'm going, even though they are different segments their USPs and customers that it appeals to the most are very similar.
If a car like compass which could very well cost double the ecosport and still have similar performance, features and only marginally more space. The only reason to go for it would be the better finish.

3rd: The comparison of doors was just about the doors. Just mentioned it because multiple reviews mention about how heavy they are. So checked it out, and tried to clear the air that they are not made of some Un-real Steel that no other car has. They feel only as good and heavy as some of the best built ones out there. Just trying to keep everyone's expectations to a real level unlike some exaggerated reviews.
Quote:
I don't think he is comparing to the Ecosport. Just that he is explaining his POV as an Ecosport owner looking at an upgrade. Which is fine IMO.

If I were to go to a showroom as well, I'll check each car and think what the new car will be providing in addition to the existing car and at what additional price. Not fully in terms of features - but engine, build, safety, quality etc.
Yes, Exactly what I was thinking. The only real benefits that I could check at this point are
-More active safety features (DTC, ESP etc.)
-A more plush and better built cabin
-Bigger boot(but not a lot)
I hope the drive is much better because they need to deliver something great in order to make this segment move. Remember the D1 segment sedans in India? Its shrunk to tiny levels now thanks to Cars from the C segment like the City, Ciaz which are so grown up that nobody really wants to pay 50% more for only a marginally better car. XUV has its looks/presence and 7 seats so it stays appealing to many indians. The compass has none of those so it needs the driving dynamics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Well guys it is natural to compare any car with the existing car that one has! The Jeep Compass's strength is not really supposed to be its interior space but the ride quality and the driving dynamics. Both of these have been highly appreciated by most reviewers. Inside space is not really a criteria on the basis of which expensive / premium cars can be judged as most of them would fail miserably.
Jeep is trying to fill this void and provide a car which offers driver excitement and also is of a higher quality than Hyundai. I know people will want everything at the same price as the Creta, but that will not be viable for Jeep and they will try to price it realistically. Given the recent GST reduction, I do hope that they are able to pitch the top diesel variant sub 20 and the base variant starting at 14.5 lacs. This should be the pricing sweet spot for them and they would be able to get the 2500 monthly sale that they are aiming for. Anything higher will be a challenge and lower may not generate enough profit for them.
However the challenge for Jeep in India is not the price, but the network and service which they really need to focus on to woo customers. The initial experience of Compass owners will really drive the success or failure of the Compass in India.
well put, but I think anybody going for the Compass needs to be aware that size wise it is definitely half a size less than the Tucson, even though in other aspects it would be much more appealing to us enthusiasts. But I can't comment on it right now, No TDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
Just curious where did you check out the compass near Mamc I thought the nearest dealer is at mathura road only. Wanted to know since am frequenting ito these days (thameem). Coming to the Jeep compass how did you find the space in the back and the front. Is it significantly more than the ecosport. Considering the estimated on road price would be twice the ecosport I expect it to have a spacious cabin. The engines and the specs look all good it's just the pricing that will make or break the product. Jeep should keep the base model price to below 15L to make this product an instant hit. Let's hope it establishes FCA back in india.
Checked it out at Landmark Fiat/Jeep in Moti Nagar. Had gone to get some work done on the Spark. So killed time in various dealers there. The legroom at the back is about 20-30 pc more than Ecosport. You could touch legs easily at the back of the seat if there is a tall guy upfront in a laidback position.
For another objective comparison between totally unrelated Segments BTW (Don't hate me for this).
Rear Legroom : BMW X1>>LR Disco Sport >Compass=Evoque> Ecosport

I was surprised with the X1 but weirdly enough it has more space in the rear. And another thing I would emphasise is the LR cars had a pano roof so the feeling of space was more than the Compass. They've tried to help by using a super light shade for interiors but I think a Pano Roof would be a masterstroke(Consider that no other SUV under the 30 Lac Tiguan or Audi Q3 comes with a Pano roof, and for the indian market it could be a great marketing tool as well
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 17:47   #982
Senior - BHPian

Meeting the Jeep Compass

Lots of comparisons between the Compass and other soft roaders , Suvs, C & D segment sedans and even hatchbacks. All should be forgiven.

My take is that FCA themselves are confused. They must have really surprised themselves on a fantastic product and nailed the manufacturing costs. With GST it must have gotten sweeter.

FCA's considerations.

* positioning of the Compass
* profits
* monthly manufacturing capacity for India
* service network in India if they hit full capacity manufacturing.

So if they price too close to Creata/ XUV they probably have a problem of plenty, sales will shoot through the roof and service cannot be handled with 50 centres across India and that will be a disaster. Jeep as a premium brand will also take some beating by moving more mainstream.

If they move closer to 18-25+ lakhs and the likes of D segment sedans and SUVs ( Tucson, Elantra ,Octavia ,Tiguan,Innova etc) , for FCAs reputation it might end up a dead on arrival product. No manufacturer has been able to nail this segment except for Toyota. If you remove the Innova and the Fortuner there are hardly any numbers to play with. So with low volumes FCA could just be battered with the investment committed to this model.

There is a thin line available for that sweet spot between pricing it right or overpriced and honestly Hyundai haven't done FCA a favour with the greedy Creta pricing. FCA has a real headache as they a still not a Hyundai in our market. My two cents.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 8th July 2017 at 17:54.
Old 8th July 2017, 18:15   #983
BHPian

I just had a look at the Compass. Size wise, especially interiors more or less seems to be in the league of Creta. But, looking at the engines on offer, AWD ability and the interior quality, variant to variant I can convince myself to pay a premium up to 25%. I don't know how the public perception would be at such prices.
octane_100 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 18:17   #984
Distinguished - BHPian

I think FCA should just focus on the product, price it right and have a Kwid moment. Their potential customers are not expecting a Toyota experience of ownership, they just want a good product at a good price. Mostly the type who end up buying Skodas and Fiats totally willing to deal with $&*@ just so they can drive the car they love. I want the Jeep Compass to do very well so that VW realises how stupid they are to ignore 20Lakh SUV market.
androdev is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2017, 23:27   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
+1 to that I own a Vento and is currently looking for an upgrade. VW surely has made a lasting impression and my default choice was the Jetta. Because it was discontinued, I was hoping to go for the next best thing..the Octavia. I thought Jeep would price the Compass at par/above the Tucson, so dropped it off my radar until rumors stated that starting prices will be close to 14-15L. Attended unveiling functions at 2 different dealers and I felt exactly what you told. It's a worthy contender for the D segment sedans. Agree space and practicality takes a back seat. But if the reviews are anything to go by, I wouldn't mind trading them off for fun driving, stable ride and handling.

Bang on! My Rapid is about 5 years old and If I can afford to upgrade any time soon , I can only think of 2 cars, The Octavia and now the Jeep Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
I think FCA should just focus on the product, price it right and have a Kwid moment. Their potential customers are not expecting a Toyota experience of ownership, they just want a good product at a good price. Mostly the type who end up buying Skodas and Fiats totally willing to deal with $&*@ just so they can drive the car they love. I want the Jeep Compass to do very well so that VW realises how stupid they are to ignore 20Lakh SUV market.

Very well said! " kwid moment" is very nicely put! I really wish Jeep understands how Renault turned the tables in India with the Kwid and to a certain extent even the Duster.
Jeep's surely got the VW/ Skoda and Fiat customers glued on so far and it will be only the pricing that tips the scales.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2017 at 01:44. Reason: trimming quoted post for improved readability. :)
Old 9th July 2017, 00:07   #986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
I was surprised with the X1 but weirdly enough it has more space in the rear. And another thing I would emphasise is the LR cars had a pano roof so the feeling of space was more than the Compass. They've tried to help by using a super light shade for interiors but I think a Pano Roof would be a masterstroke(Consider that no other SUV under the 30 Lac Tiguan or Audi Q3 comes with a Pano roof, and for the indian market it could be a great marketing tool as well
Thanks for the leg room comparison. I have test drive the LR Discovery sport and have sat in the back of the evoque and have done multiple test drives of the ecosport so I do get an idea what you are referring too. So it's not a 5 people with luggage type of vehicle and I don't think it can replace our touring vehicle. Dad wanted to replace the fortuner with an AT car since now we are seldom more than 4 on our long trips but we still need Tucson kind of space for that. We hired Tucson in UK last year for a week and loved it's space and size combo.

I see it as a pratical and premium car which can do both the urban and highway duty with aplomb which is really important in big cities and metros where you can't have multiple cars. The Jeep looks like a million bucks I am sure many people will buy it just for that. It has the ability to become the Evoque of the D segment if priced 18L + for the base variant with a few people buying it for its looks and performance with the car having a niche appeal and finding around a 1000 buyers without really disrupting any of its competition. To really affect the creta the base needs to start from 15-16L especially now that the top model creta is 14L post gst. Even then I see 7000 units for the creta and 2500 for the Jeep. Considering their reach and Hyundai's marketing muscle i don't see how creta will be affected much. As for the Xuv I don't think there would be any effect since even today to fit 5 grown adults and their luggage the XUV or the Hexa and innova are much better cars and will continue to flourish.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 9th July 2017 at 01:45. Reason: trimming quoted post for improved readability. :)
ToyotaFan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 06:02   #987
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics from a Jeep Compass 4x4 experience event that happened in Inorbit Mall, Mumbai.
Source: Jeep India facebook page.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-fb_img_1499532005658.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-fb_img_1499532034265.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-fb_img_1499532128989.jpg
arun_josie is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 10:22   #988
Distinguished - BHPian

Detailed close-up shots, courtesy Mahesh Sankar @ Facebook.

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665312_1529196153768739_6935285913039129257_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665265_1529195467102141_6076289785599189373_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19657459_1529195900435431_4590084516819352075_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19756654_1529196070435414_1257335055758290750_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19702045_1529195970435424_1312590254032164662_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665686_1529195753768779_3967162167443041005_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19642280_1529195830435438_1542760986746850234_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665664_1529196217102066_984725294108976582_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19702206_1529180380436983_2202528144050297941_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19731808_1529181367103551_8956276526925307239_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19702035_1529195133768841_8948424243473910952_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19732256_1529196020435419_2336323496615022363_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19748715_1529195217102166_3356444403515601588_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19601520_1529195283768826_4723052013295555123_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19657294_1529195380435483_4476921386359029995_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19884010_1529196243768730_5887709793043557204_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665265_1529196283768726_5717313767364044313_n.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-19665125_1529196407102047_2670202891622844882_n.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 11:15   #989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Detailed close-up shots, courtesy Mahesh Sankar @ Facebook.
@RavenAvi

Thank you for the pics

Have read that the Steering Console - MID - is a full color screen - Any pics or information on that?

Is that a full size spare?

Would there be a more complete pic of the driver armrest controls available?

Do share.
PM - B is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2017, 12:01   #990
BHPian

As per Landmark in Delhi the earliest deliveries will be last week of August and may get delayed to September depending on the final delivery schedule which is yet to come.

FCA does it again, make a classy product, take perfect aim and shoot themselves in the foot. *frustrati*

Technically 8 weeks to 10 weeks more before deliveries begin, enough time for Creta to gain at the back of GST and make the entry barriers for Compass.

Rome burns, Nero fiddles...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks