Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2017, 00:03   #46
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
NDTV Auto's spies have managed to capture the Compass's interiors.
Thanks for the pics, it looks really smashing. Keeping aside the price / brand image / service back-up etc, got to say that they got the design, stance and proportions of the vehicle just right. Butch and squarish, like how an SUV should be and managing to look modern and smart at the same time. After Endeavour this is one SUV which I would be happy to see on our roads among the curvy, sleek and angular designs which seem to be the norm of the day
Old 26th April 2017, 08:58   #47
BHPian

A minor concern however seems to be the absence of AT in diesel, Any information about the addition to AT in diesal..?
It does have the potential of being the best seller variant..!
Old 26th April 2017, 11:41   #48
BHPian

Looks good. Concern would be after sales service and attention to customers. This will be most definitely used for off-road antics and Jeep better have trained technicians ready. Also, they would be wise to launch the full accessory list to cash in on the first time buyer.

Interesting note from Deccan below on what we may not get in the Indian version.

http://www.deccanchronicle.com/busin...obal-spec.html

I worry more about the clutch though. Whenever someone says dry clutch, a Skoda flashes through my brain. Hopefully Jeep has NOT shared technology or design with VAG.
Mad Max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 12:38   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It all boils down to the price.
I firmly believe the top spec will cross 32-34L on road Bangalore.
The expectations aired here of this being a 20 lac vehicle are to say the least, very optimistic.
Which means it will be on the wrong side of the pricing of Endeavor, it starts at 34L and ends at 40L (OTR). I don't know if it will work, suddenly the Endy will look like VFM option with 2 extra seats, even if someone needs a 5 seater. The Indian market has shown its preferences very clearly, people think the Tuscon is a glorified Creta, they will think the same about this as well. There are less than 10% customers who will want a 4X4, the remaining 90% will think they are getting no extra seats, may be 20% more space and premium feel than Creta, for double the price! And for just 10% more they are getting a mountain (Endy) with a huge engine and 2 extra seats, and the feel off course that they can circumnavigate the entire globe in it!

After you bought your Yeti, there is still no proper car in this segment?
zulfi hansi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 13:39   #50
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Which means it will be on the wrong side of the pricing of Endeavor, it starts at 34L and ends at 40L (OTR). 2 extra seats, and the feel off course that they can circumnavigate the entire globe in it!

After you bought your Yeti, there is still no proper car in this segment?
At this moment, there is nothing to touch the Yeti in terms of capability and features all packed into a compact size at that price point.

Indeed, with all the pricing flying around these days for Creta, BRV, Brezza, S Cross and all the rest of them, the price I actually paid for my Yeti 5.5 years ago seems extremely worthwhile, in hindsight!

Consider this Jeep Compass which is a Size bigger than the Yeti - it can be compared roughly to the Q5 segment. If it is sitting around at 34L on road, then from this point of view and in today's pricing climate, it can be considered as a good price, keeping in mind that the new Yeti itself is priced around 30L on road.

Then lets say these VW blokes bring in the Tiguan - I am absolutely sure that with VW's positioning over Skoda, they will offer the Tiguan at a similar price as the Jeep Compass - at least 34L on road, so as to differentiate it from the Yeti too. That brings in another Compact SUV which is at best, equivalent to, or max one-half-size bigger than the Yeti but priced at a higher level.

Keeping the above points in mind, suddenly when one views that massive Endy and the new Fortuner, these seem immensely well priced, considering what they offer. The only snag is that neither of these are "Compact".

Vehicles like the Jeep Compass, if priced as speculated above, may wean away potential buyers of the CRV, Trailblazer, Tucson, Audi Q3/ Q5 BMW X1 or Merc GLA.

But as has been oft-repeated it is all down to the pricing in the end. To my mind, given all the multifarious bells and whistles that this vehicle is purported to come with, in the India market, the Top Spec 4x4 simply can't possibly be priced around 20 lacs as expected by many. It is simply unrealistic!
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 14:00   #51
BHPian

Quote:
But as has been oft-repeated it is all down to the pricing in the end. To my mind, given all the multifarious bells and whistles that this vehicle is purported to come with, in the India market, the Top Spec 4x4 simply can't possibly be priced around 20 lacs as expected by many. It is simply unrealistic!
Anything more than 20 Lakhs, and the vehicle is dead on arrival, no matter how much of features they put in. I don't expect Jeep to be sensible with the pricing. They will overestimate themselves and the compass will be a flop.
ashlil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 14:29   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashlil View Post
Anything more than 20 Lakhs, and the vehicle is dead on arrival, no matter how much of features they put in. I don't expect Jeep to be sensible with the pricing. They will overestimate themselves and the compass will be a flop.

I wouldnt go so far as to say that it will flop.
It may not set the sales charts ablaze but do consider that one is paying anywhere from 15-19 lacs for the S Cross, Creta, BRV and so on already. And 30L for the new Yeti. The Jeep Compass for sure will command a premium over these.

Question is, how much?

Again I repeat, the 20L expectation is 'optimistic'.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 16:53   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Consider this Jeep Compass which is a Size bigger than the Yeti - it can be compared roughly to the Q5 segment. If it is sitting around at 34L on road, then from this point of view and in today's pricing climate, it can be considered as a good price, keeping in mind that the new Yeti itself is priced around 30L on road.

Then lets say these VW blokes bring in the Tiguan - I am absolutely sure that with VW's positioning over Skoda, they will offer the Tiguan at a similar price as the Jeep Compass - at least 34L on road, so as to differentiate it from the Yeti too. That brings in another Compact SUV which is at best, equivalent to, or max one-half-size bigger than the Yeti but priced at a higher level.

Keeping the above points in mind, suddenly when one views that massive Endy and the new Fortuner, these seem immensely well priced, considering what they offer. The only snag is that neither of these are "Compact".

Compass and Tiguan are identical is specs, size etc, but price wise difference is big. Compass is sold for about $20000 and Tiguan for $25000 in US. So ideally the same difference should be visible here as well. VW is launching the Tiguan in 5 seater version and the Skoda Kodiaq in 7 seater version and that is their marketing strategy. Eventually since Skoda has better brand recall in India the Kodiaq will be bigger and more expensive. BTW Toyota Corolla also costs about $20000 in US, so will the Compass cost the same price here as much as the Corolla?

Majority of the Indian Customers are very happy with non-compact cars in fact bigger the better when it comes to SUVs. It's only guys like us who want a compact SUV. If they want a compact car they buy a hatch not an SUV. Or, anything that resembles an SUV in the range of 15-20L will do well too. I agree 20 is unrealistic, but 34 is certainly not going to help them either. I am sure they are delaying it to see what will be the effect of GST.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 17:05   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
I am sure they are delaying it to see what will be the effect of GST.

Thats a very good point you've made.
Will GST kill us consumers more efficiently and sow salt on the remains?
Or will its advent give us a much needed breather and a shower of life giving rain?

Saying all this, if Tiguan comes at 34 on road in order to differentiate itself from the Yeti and feed those aspirational cues of VW brand, then, is it realistic to expect Mr Compass to land up at a lesser price than the Yeti?

There is little or no co-relation between the way these vehicles are priced at Internationally and how they are priced here.

For example the Toyota Innova and Fortuner are both far cheaper outside India than they are within India, despite being Made in India, by Indians being paid Indian salaries and in a pretty well depreciated manufacturing plant to boot!

That is a very clear manifestation of the madness of this country and of our people.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 18:02   #55
Senior - BHPian

Though it may not seem obvious, both the VW Tiguan as well as BMW X1 are actually larger vehicles than the Jeep Compass:

So, the Indian obsession with size based VFM (which I am personally not a party to), is applicable/or not applicable to any of these vehicles alike! I, for one, can't really understand why people will not be interested in either Tiguan and Compass, when they are interested in buying Hyundai Tucson at 30+ lakhs.

Last edited by Abhi_Automobile : 27th April 2017 at 18:04.
Old 27th April 2017, 18:34   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post

So, the Indian obsession with size based VFM (which I am personally not a party to), is applicable/or not applicable to any of these vehicles alike! I, for one, can't really understand why people will not be interested in either Tiguan and Compass, when they are interested in buying Hyundai Tucson at 30+ lakhs.

I can appreciate the X1 being larger. It is certainly longer, being more of a Station Wagon/ Estate than an SUV.

But I d believe the Compass is more like something in between the Tiguan/ Q3 and the Q5.

In fact having compared the Yeti and the Tiguan and even Q3 a lot over the last 4-5 years on various travels, the only place (to me) where the Tiguan and Q3 score is on my 'lateral golf bag placement test'.

And absolutely Im with you on your statement that if a chap can buy a Tucson at 30 then why ever not a Compass at roughly similar prices for a better specced up and more capable 4x4 version?

But, strange are the ways of our Indian car buyers!
Old 27th April 2017, 19:07   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA India bets big on Jeep Compass.

Full interview of President and managing director Kevin Flynn- Link

On pricing here is the hint,
Quote:
We showed this car to our dealers and in each case we asked them for the price expectations. By their feedback and understanding where I know where we want to be, I think we have got it right.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 19:37   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
FCA India bets big on Jeep Compass.

Full interview of President and managing director Kevin Flynn- Link

On pricing here is the hint,

A very nice article.

I do hope the assurances and predictions on 'fair and equitable' pricing, work out for all those out there who are aspiring to buy a Jeep Compass here in India!

Its actually quite nutty how all prices of all the cars out there in India have just gone up by leaps and bounds in the last few years!

I mean, 4 or 5 years ago one could buy a Honda City V AT for about 11 lacs! Today the blighted thing in its 2017 Top Spec AT is around 16.5 lacs! Thats really crazy indeed.

Similarly the Yeti was at 21.5 lacs in 2011. Today it is at 30 lacs!
Going back further the Innova was originally launched at 10 lacs to 12 lacs. Now it is, 11 years on, sitting close to the 30 lac mark!

Whats happened here?
Have we, like Rip Van Winkle, been asleep while the car pricing world passed us by?
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th April 2017, 19:42   #59
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
For the overseas market, the Compass has a 'Trailhawk' variant with (8.8") 223 mm of ground clearance specifically for off-road trails. FCA should offer this variant atleast as an option for the Indian market.
And the 'Trailhawk' especially seems very capable off road -

CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 11:36   #60
Senior - BHPian

Weird
Quote:
FCA is considering selling off the Jeep and Ram brands.

Jeep is one of FCA's most important brands right now.

Jeep has invested Rs. 1800 Crore at the Fiat factory in Ranjangaon plant
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/jeep-brand...obiles-1687735

Last edited by noopster : 12th May 2017 at 17:11. Reason: Adding extract of article in the post
Arjun Reddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks