Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2017, 13:19   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It is funny, but most cars out there seem to be in some way "under-tyred" at least when it comes to the stock size supplied as OEM.
I wonder why.
I know. Every car these days have skinny tyres, guess its for more fuel economy thanks to Indian customers demand

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Should be due to the massive squared out wheel arches more than the overall size of the car.

Jeep Compass - 225/60 R17
Now to think of it, even Overdrive people noticed it and they even showed a new flaw.

"Admittedly, the 225/60 R17 wheels look a little small for the car and the rear wheel isn't at the centre of the arch. The last bit especially bugs me, because once you've seen it, that's the first thing you'll notice every time you look at the car. Yep, it's too late! You can't un-see it now!".

Now even i cant help but noticing this flaw.

I guess the perfect size would be 235/65/17, if there is something like that in the market. Oh wait a minute, infact my XUV has this profile rightnow (how dumb )

Last edited by nitinralli : 13th June 2017 at 13:21.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 13:43   #377
Team-BHP Support

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-img_20170613_132639.jpg

Another nice shot. Source

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
But the response here from a crowd that has largely been negative to said European brand has suddenly become positive with just an American badge? What has changed vs the Linea/Punto?
You're right. On an organization level, not much. Exactly when I mention that some of the earlier posts that talks about 6000 unit sales and all will never work. Even if the product is as good as all the reviews say it is, and is priced good - I believe a 500 - 1000 units per month would be a good start for the brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Eddy View Post
Can you name some car manufacturers who have invested heavily into an Indian manufacturing plant to make a single model for 20L and said we'd be happy selling 200 units? Wouldn't they have been better off just going the CKD route? I saw an Australian article already questioning making the Jeep in India in light of poor reliability concerns. Is Make in India really such a big attraction for Jeep?
The whole world has concerns about manufacturing products in India /China. We have seen these with BMW - TVS, KTM - Bajaj etc. Same as the concerns we have with Chinese products.

However, the fact remains that it is cheaper to build here as compared to UK or Australia. India is going to be the export hub for all the RHD markets for Jeep Compass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
I guess the perfect size would be 235/65/17, if there is something like that in the market. Oh wait a minute, infact my XUV has this profile rightnow (how dumb )
That would be a very wrong upsize for Compass. Meters reading would be way different from actuals, even though it may fit in the wheel well.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 13:53   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Funny to read comments like Jeep shouldn't price the Compass low! Really, what is Jeep competing with , BMW? I thought Jeep is into business of selling SUV's and don't have any news they have ditched that plan and have entered into some sort of posing and is considering selling vehicles in India just to show their manufacturing ability. They better price it competent enough, the Indian consumer can be brutal, the early sales figures of S-cross is evidence for the mighty Maruti's debacle.
It seems to me, from the replies to my earlier post, that many members of this forum will actually be offended if somehow Jeep prices compass low ! Maybe the management of Jeep also has a similar over-grandiose attitude towards the compass.
ashlil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 14:08   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
That would be a very wrong upsize for Compass. Meters reading would be way different from actuals, even though it may fit in the wheel well.
Oh ok, if you say so, i am not sure about maths behind these tyres size upgrades. But it sure would look decent enough though with little negative offset alloys.

Or maybe we could have the ones available by Mopar in 18", they look okies.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-mopar.jpg
Old 13th June 2017, 15:00   #380
BHPian

Going by the reviews, it's good to see Fiat not loosing on its drool worthy aspects. Looks, Build quality, Ride, Handling and precise steering .

Poor A.S.S. (in terms of numbers), reliability issues, lack of new products, all aside, Fiat has always kept enthusiast needs in check while developing a car.

That said, I am waiting for our own trusted TBHP review.
Old 13th June 2017, 16:36   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rationalist View Post
Funny to read comments like Jeep shouldn't price the Compass low! Really, what is Jeep competing with , BMW? I thought Jeep is into business of selling SUV's and don't have any news they have ditched that plan and have entered into some sort of posing and is considering selling vehicles in India just to show their manufacturing ability. They better price it competent enough, the Indian consumer can be brutal, the early sales figures of S-cross is evidence for the mighty Maruti's debacle.
Jeep is definitely not competing with BMW and all those funny comments meant that Jeep is not competing with Creta either .
jaganpec2002 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 17:58   #382
Distinguished - BHPian

The media is having a field day with the Jeep Compass on Day 2 of the media drive, including off-roading over rivers and going inside jungles in heavy monsoon weather.

Quote:
The@JeepIndia Compass is VERY capable, both on & off-road. The Compass makes quick work of streams, dips, ravines & rocks. As a Jeep should!
You'll be amazed at the amount of poise & grip the @JeepIndia Compass has off-road, which means it really could be your go-anywhere machine!
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dclcnnuvoaabuah.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dclcnnwvwaa1vfu.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dcmfupxkaagdgj.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dcmg9ifvwaat611.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dcmfbxcw0aalbwu.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-dclcnnyuaaasgdi.jpg

CarIndia @ Twitter
AutoX @ Twitter
EVOIndia @ Twitter

Quote:
One thing that’s not so impressive is space. Up front you’re brushing elbows with your passenger and you can forget about squeezing in three passengers at the back. Also the rear knee room is only as much as a Creta, forget the Tucson, and with the narrow glass house it can feel quite cooped in. Plus the backrest angle for the rear seat is far too steep to be comfortable on long journeys. It’s not an SUV to be driven around in.
Outside of motorsport the Compass is the first car I’ve driven with Frequency Selective Dampers and I went in with a healthy dose of skepticism. But drive it ten metres, over the first speedbreaker, and you say holy cow! The Compass rides brilliantly. Nothing in this segment, no SUV south of an Audi Q3 rides as well as the Compass. It literally flies over everything and the damping quality and refinement is also excellent so the suspension doesn’t audibly crash and hammer into undulations. Everybody who drove it couldn’t believe how comfortable the Compass’ ride is.
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassside1320x880.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompassheadlamp.jpg

EVO India First Drive Review

Overdrive has added a Compass gallery:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompass3.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompass5.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeepcompass4.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-ani5527.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-ani5481.jpg

Meanwhile, official bookings for the Jeep Compass have commenced at all Jeep India dealerships for a token amount of Rs.50,000/-.

And, a couple of tweets on the pricing:

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-untitled.jpg

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-untitled2.jpg

Last edited by RavenAvi : 13th June 2017 at 18:13. Reason: added EVO.
RavenAvi is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 18:36   #383
Mtv
BHPian

I have been closely following the Compass reports and every one of them reads like a paid promotion.

Every publication out there is waxing lyrical about the Compass to the point of suspicion. One of them stood out in particular. It mentions whether Ferrari or Alfa Romeo had anything to do with the Jeep's steering setup, and it also compared it's gear knob to the 250 GTO's
Mtv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 18:42   #384
Team-BHP Support

I hope for this car's namesake they add a compass in the MID. Will be sacrilege that a car named compass doesn't get a compass.
Vid6639 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 19:35   #385
BHPian

The car may be brilliant, the price may be brilliant but if the sales and after sales service don't match the aforesaid brilliance then FCA might as well go jump off the nearest cliff right now. With the unfortunate reputation they have earned, they just can't afford to have even one bad word about any aspect of ownership.

I will be praying for them.

Last edited by keroo1099 : 13th June 2017 at 19:49.
keroo1099 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 19:40   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTraveller View Post
The base trim is completely unattractive and 'not so Premium'. Imagine conventional headlights, 5 inch touch screen, no fog lights, no rear parking sensor in a vehicle costing north of 16 lakhs ex showroom. Some of the Sub 10 lakhs cars have better features. Projector headlamps. 7 inch touch screen and parking sensor should have been standard features.
Jetta when launched in 2011 at 18L (Comfortline) on road Mumbai, did not have Projector headlights, touch screen system, ACC and still people bought it. Of course not in numbers but still.
Old 13th June 2017, 19:42   #387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
The car may be brilliant, the price may be brilliant but if the sales and after sales service doesn't match the aforesaid brilliance then FCA might as well go jump off the nearest cliff right now.
Among my first posts in July 2009 is one predicting the complete failure of Punto after seeing it in the showroom, and based on prior experience with Fiat - 8 years with Palio and 5 with Uno.

I was then severely assaulted by all the Fiat Fans here.

No predictions this time around
Sawyer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:11   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Jetta when launched in 2011 at 18L (Comfortline) on road Mumbai, did not have Projector headlights, touch screen system, ACC and still people bought it. Of course not in numbers but still.
That may be true. XUV5OO was launched in 2011 September. I think this vehicle launch set the expectations of an Indian customer to a different level.

XUV was launched with following features and was one of the main reason for its success because of the value for money factor.

Projector & Static Bending Headlamps
Auto Headlamps
Auto Wipers
Hill Descent Control
Hill Hold
Disc brakes on All wheels
Touchscreen Infotainment
TPMS
Cruise Control
Micro Hybrid Technology
Auto folding ORVM's
Automatic Climate Control
Old 13th June 2017, 20:48   #389
BHPian

Wow. Jeep is surely making the right noises and for a change we will be able to see some attractive colours rather than the dull colours most of the manufacturers come out with. The effort they have put into the Jeep should definitely give them the boost that has eluded them so far. Best wishes. They sure need it.
thesilentone is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2017, 20:48   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
It was acceptable in 2011 but not in 2017 given that cars 2 segment below Compass are offering these today. The absence of a loaded FWD in petrol is a deal breaker.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks