Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:46   #1576
Senior - BHPian

Re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by keroo1099 View Post
Just look at that showroom and compare it to what your competitors Hyundai and TATA have !!!

I for one would find it very difficult to plonk 20L on a car from a showroom like that.
What do you think about this showroom, located in Trivandrum, the state capital?

Business sense is, you buy/lease the two incomplete floors above the Jeep showroom and rent out / sublease. The address, "Above Jeep Showroom" will definitely fetch some premium.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-benz1.jpg  

sandeepmdas is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 09:59   #1577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
What do you think about this showroom, located in Trivandrum, the state capital?

Business sense is, you buy/lease the two incomplete floors above the Jeep showroom and rent out / sublease. The address, "Above Jeep Showroom" will definitely fetch some premium.
Is that someone protesting in front of the MB showroom?

Reads " Dead GLE in 750km"
octane_100 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:07   #1578
Team-BHP Support

Did a test drive yesterday; the variant was 4x2 longitude. The interiors did not have the richness of the big boys but the drive was quite premium with that brilliant 2L engine and the wonderful steering. Even though you sit up, it was quite car-like to drive. Much more engaging than the Creta I was driving around last week.

Quote:
And coming back to earth, this is the scene in Belgaum, a Tier-2 city!!! (photo credit: Mickey)
The showroom look alright
I visited the showroom in Thrissur, another Tier-2 (or 3?) city. The showroom was small but nicely done with all the variants on display and the place was buzzing with good crowd, checking out the cars and getting through the test drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Superb pricing of the Compass by Jeep! Wish it becomes a blockbuster hit.
The initial signs are positive. Saw a few waiting to complete the booking formalities (when I was at their showroom yesterday)
vb-saan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:08   #1579
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by octane_100 View Post
Is that someone protesting in front of the MB showroom?

Reads " Dead GLE in 750km"
x2

Hotelier’s brand new Benz collapses in just 745 KMs’ drive; Company promises new car in the wake of rising protest
http://www.evartha.in/english/2016/1...g-protest.html
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:13   #1580
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
And coming back to earth, this is the scene in Belgaum, a Tier-2 city!!! (photo credit: Mickey)

OK, you may not have the funds for a large fancy showroom, but the minimum you could have done is not to make it look like its some outlet in a village somewhere!!! Just look at that showroom and compare it to what your competitors Hyundai and TATA have !!!

I for one would find it very difficult to plonk 20L on a car from a showroom like that.
Like the others mentioned, i don't find anything wrong with that showroom. Put into perspective the fact that all the extra glitz and glamour in decking up the showroom will get itself added on to customer invoices in the guise of 'handling charges' and 'Logistic' charges.
benbsb29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:46   #1581
Team-BHP Support

One doubt I've always had in my mind - is whether people will really find a connect with the brand "Jeep", because the word had become synonymous in India with the Thar and Mahindra itself. However, after a lot of discussions post launch with non-enthusiasts from office, friends circle etc - I feel it will work in their favour.

The brand is neither unheard of, nor new. It's older than most of us in this generation, but thanks to Mahindra and the SUV craze, it's still young, alive and appealing. Even premium, perhaps due to the top down approach they followed, or due to the baby Cherokee looks of the Compass.

But looks like the brand is being well received by the market, non - enthusiasts alike.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd August 2017 at 11:11.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 10:53   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Ummm, what's wrong with that showroom ? And why does that influence your choice of car considering it will be a one off transaction with the showroom guys and the car will be with you for years ?
I see it this way.

You can afford to sell a product from any location, even a sidewalk IF you have established a reputation. Jeep doesn't have that reputation in India as yet, FCA carries a lot of baggage, and the product won't sell itself. Or, you launch a product and heavily discount it from day one to attract a crowd (everybody loves a discount), which FCA can't afford to do.

So if I was a first time uninformed buyer, I would certainly be wary of the product and the service when I don't see any prospective buyers around a new product. The Compass is certainly not a mass market car so you need something to entice people to come, and I feel if a little more thought had gone into the external appearance of the showroom it would help sales.

Cheers
keroo1099 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:01   #1583
BHPian

Quote:

OK, you may not have the funds for a large fancy showroom, but the minimum you could have done is not to make it look like its some outlet in a village somewhere!!! Just look at that showroom and compare it to what your competitors Hyundai and TATA have !!!

Like, many others, I too fail to understand what's wrong with that showroom? Other than unfurnished upper floors, it looks fine.

In fact it makes perfect business sense to rent/buy a shop in under construction complex and enjoy the price appreciation that follows.

Also, from the picture it seems there is good amount of space for visitors to park their vehicles. Which is rare nowadays even in tier-2 cities.
the_skyliner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:07   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
I see it this way.

You can afford to sell a product from any location, even a sidewalk IF you have established a reputation. Jeep doesn't have that reputation in India as yet, FCA carries a lot of baggage, and the product won't sell itself. Or, you launch a product and heavily discount it from day one to attract a crowd (everybody loves a discount), which FCA can't afford to do.

So if I was a first time uninformed buyer, I would certainly be wary of the product and the service when I don't see any prospective buyers around a new product. The Compass is certainly not a mass market car so you need something to entice people to come, and I feel if a little more thought had gone into the external appearance of the showroom it would help sales.

Cheers
I will agree. While the appearance of a showroom should not be a deciding factor on the quality of the product, as a prospective buyer if I were to consider a product which does not have much brand recall at least in India, and which does not have a strong and reliable service network as well, I would be wary about the showroom shutting shop if the product were not to do so well, simply because the owner would have no incentive to carry on. So you are stuck with a product in a Tier-II or III city with no other sales or services for miles around you. But realistically, this seems to be the product which has the potential to change FCA's fortunes in India if they play it right throughout. The first step has been great.
Old 3rd August 2017, 11:11   #1585
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
One doubt I've always had in my mind - is whether people will really find a connect with the brand "Jeep", because the word had become synonymous in India with the Thar and Mahindra itself. However, after a lot of discussions post launch with non-enthusiasts from office, friends circle etc - I feel it will work in their favour.
Most definitely in their favour. Jeep is in India what Hummer is (was?) in the USA. Tough, brute, sexy, utilitarian....everyone likes Jeeps. I have yet to come across a single person who doesn't. Lee Iacocca buying Jeep / AMC in the 80s was one of the best moves of his Chrysler career.

OT but related. When I test-drove the Compass, I wore my cargo pants which are reserved exclusively for my Classic 4x4. Just picked them up intuitively from my cupboard before heading out for the highway drive:
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-jeep.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by parambyte View Post
I only wish it would have built in Sat-Nav.
I drive about 50 cars a year and always prefer to use my phone's Google Maps over any onboard navigation system. With cars now getting Android Auto as standard, it's a no-brainer. My primary car too has an onboard navigation system which is....never used.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd August 2017 at 11:14.
GTO is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:10   #1586
BHPian

Went to the Worli showroom yesterday to see the Compass.

They had 3 on display - one in each category.

My observations:
  1. Nice looking vehicle - the grille and lines give a mean look.
  2. Way smaller than what I expected. Headroom is at a premium and rear seats - only 2 adults please. Definitely not in the same size segment as Hexa or XUV - more a Creta size than Tucson. Even a CRV feels much larger.
  3. Loved the upholstery of the top end version - very very classy, premium feel. Not so much on the lower versions though
  4. 2-3 months waiting time for delivery is what I was told, with the Diesel AT expected by Jan
car.lover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:14   #1587
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I test-drove the Compass
And???

I know the car is really cool, the looks, interiors, engine specs all looks just perfect. The product itself is very good, and I am sure it will bring FCA some lovable numbers in terms of sales, but they need to make equally commanding effort on the After Sales and Support too! That is one grey area with FCA India which I can see as of today. Hope they don't let down the buyers!
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:15   #1588
BHPian

Quote:
When I test-drove the Compass
This is the most important line from your post!
Since detailed review is a bit far away, maybe you can bless the poor souls here with a detailed quick glance and first impressions of your TD.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 12:24   #1589
BHPian

Guys, GTO already posted his first impressions on post #1352.

Quote:
I drive about 50 cars a year and always prefer to use my phone's Google Maps over any onboard navigation system. With cars now getting Android Auto as standard, it's a no-brainer. My primary car too has an onboard navigation system which is....never used.
If you drive that many cars, naturally want to keep everything on your mobile, to get all your history and stuff. So, that can't apply to normal folks like us. That said, I agree, almost everyone uses a smart phone with maps/navigation. I don't think many will care for the same to be inbuilt in the car.
prakash_ajp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:01   #1590
BHPian

One of the reason Compass gaining popularity is the way it looks, premium yet butch.
I have three colleagues looking for an upgrade of their existing rides, all were super impressed by just looking at Compass pictures. One of them commented ‘Wow Audi type rear’.
Average Indian customers are not bothered or I should say not aware of FCA, Fiat’s India story etc., yet know what a Jeep means. XUV was their top of the list but all three have put that on hold. Two of them will be waiting for diesel auto and third one is re-evaluating his budget.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks