Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2017, 15:26   #136
BHPian

re: Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs

Autocar India also says that diesel 4x4 AT will be available in early 2018 which makes me think that if they keep Trailhawk 4x4 AT diesel with all the bells and whistles well below 24-25L ex-showroom, they have a sureshot customer in me. Autocar review also rates the car highly and i am used to fiat's product quality and aftersells very well and very satisfied with my past vehicles, palio1.6 and later with punto mjd, so no worries for me on that front.

Given the fact that fiat is going to Manufacture rather than Assemble (i hope i am right here) Compass in india, it should not be difficult to price it sensibaly as well just like Tata did with Hexa. Anything ambitious in prices and they are gona loose me to some other brand.

Last edited by 46TheDoctor : 27th May 2017 at 15:27.
Old 27th May 2017, 16:09   #137
BHPian

If one goes by ACI review, Jeep has covered all the important bases with the Compass.

1. Comfortable seats with adequate room
2. Well built interiors with a simple yet smart layout
3. Brilliant ride and handling (most important)
4. Oodles of ground clearance
5. Diesel more than adequately powerful (though the review mentions it to be a bit unrefined)

Personally, if the reviewer (Shapur Kotwal btw) has got it right, then it is a brilliant product in the offing (a market success or not, which is yet to be seen).

With prices supposedly less than Tucson, true 4x4 abilities and the Jeep pedigree, it definitely will be hard to ignore.
octane_100 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 16:22   #138
BHPian

Pricing is the key for the Compass, if they get it right Jeep could have a real winner here. But knowing Jeep, the pricing could be literally anywhere.
Old 27th May 2017, 17:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Pricing is the key for the Compass, if they get it right Jeep could have a real winner here. But knowing Jeep, the pricing could be literally anywhere.

Apart from the pricing I guess the service is another issue. Assuming they get the pricing right and are able to sell more than 1-1.5 k a month, I don't think they will be able handle the service and spares with their existing network. I am a Fiat owner and have seen their service stations and distances between service stations. They are just not geared for that kind of sales. Hope they are increasing their service network as we discuss.

If they get too close to the Tucson on pricing then the customers will just jump ship and we may see an increase in Tucson numbers. Not too many customers are interested in the 4*4 anyway and considering a monocoque will be easier to live with , supported by Hyundai's mighty service network. The Tucson might be cheaper by around 7% in July (GST) and might shave a good 3-4 lakhs offs its current OTR.
Old 27th May 2017, 18:00   #140
BHPian

After compiling all the features(I've enclosed the list of confirmed features on the Compass,compiled from all the spyshots, model launch presentations, the official Jeep America Website, and the latest AutoCar India first drive review) :

1. The jeep compass is closer to the Renault Duster AWD 110 Rxz, but manages to be 30% more sophisticated in every respect.
a. 2.0L 170bhp engine with 350 nm torque and roughly 100bhp/ton vs 1.5L 108bhp engine with 320nm torque and roughly 83bhp/ton.
b. All independent Suspension with frequency responsive dampening vs an All Independant suspension
c. Selec-Terrain system vs a more rudimentary AWD system.
d. Six airbags vs Two
e. Premium interiors vs spartan and dated interiors
f. A reasonably advanced infotainment system and MID as against a dated limited one.

2. The Compass on the other hand is further away from the 25+ lakh category of Suvs, since certain essential creature comforts, standard for that category are not present, ex. Auto headlamps, Rain sensing Wipers, Power driver seat adjust, Electrochromatic IRVM, Electric Tailgate release. However it boasts of a capable AWD system that the Tuscon has not. It also has the Jeep legacy backing it.

3.So, the way FCA has fitted out the compass, it makes sense for us to expect the Compass to retail at a rightly speculated price point of 18 lakhs to 23 lakhs (source: AutoCar India). The same Limited trim on sale in the US comes with Auto headlamps, 9 way adjustable driver seats that are heated and ventilated, Heated steering Wheel, 8.4" U connect media system and electrochromatic IRVM. The reason these features have been omitted in the India spec version may be to allow for the Compass to duck below it's immediate rival, the Tuscon in terms of price,and at the same time retain it's USP, namely the AWD system and the Jeep name tag.
Attached Files
File Type: xlsx Jeep Compass 4x4 limited Diesel 2.0.xlsx (11.2 KB, 485 views)

Last edited by igp_79 : 27th May 2017 at 18:04.
igp_79 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 19:03   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
After compiling all the features(I've enclosed the list of confirmed features on the Compass,compiled from all the spyshots, model launch presentations, the official Jeep America Website, and the latest AutoCar India first drive review) :

1. dated interiors
f. A adjust, Electrochromatic IRVM, speculated price point of 18 lakhs to 23 lakhs (source: AutoCar India). The same Limited trim on sale in the US comes with Auto headlamps, 9 way adjustable driver seats that are heated and ventilated, Heated steering Wheel, 8.4" U connect media system and electrochromatic IRVM. The reason these features have been omitted in the India spec version may be to allow for the Compass to duck below it's immediate rival, the Tuscon in terms of price,and at the same time retain it's USP, namely the AWD system and the Jeep name tag.

A neat recap.
Yes, if the top spec comes in at 23-24L ex showroom, then it will hit the 30 mark on road.
I think its main USP will be that selec terrain 4WD and Jeep name.
Personally I would always prefer a Jeep to a Hyundai or similar.
It would certainly have been in my consideration set but I think my old Yeti tops the Compass in every single way except for Selec Terrain 4WD.
But then, for my occasional Selec Terrain kind of needs I have my trusty old beast, the Gypsy!

I think that I shall wait and see what further Mr Jeep has in store for us Indians.
Like hopefully one day the Renegade will come in and perhaps the Patriot. These are the Jeep models that interest me more.

Saying that, it is a matter of time before some rich fellow gets tired of his Jeep Wrangler Unlimited and puts it in the second hand market....if priced fairly, that is a good possibility too...

Bottomline, all the vehicles today are priced eye wateringly high and somehow I cant bring myself to spend that kind of money and take the depreciation hit which really hits below the belt and leaves one convulsed in pain.

Lets see!
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 19:32   #142
BHPian

Going by the promise that the GST would make SUVs 5 - 9% cheaper, it is just possible that Jeep may price the Compass from 16 lakhs to 21 lakhs, as one of our Bhpians Ach1lles, tipped us in his post. Even if Jeep passes on 80% of the tax savings to the customer, this is workable, with no pricing rework from their end. Probably the tip was quite accurate, since the industry insiders would have known before hand about what is in store, even before the government goes public. Are we looking at a 25 lakh on road price for the diesel 4x4 limited edition?

Last edited by igp_79 : 27th May 2017 at 19:37.
Old 27th May 2017, 22:51   #143
BHPian

This time FIAT-Chrysler is trying their best to create right impressions and not making the mistakes (it notorious for).

Pune is losing the traditional stronghold of this iconic brand, in fact lost all the well-known dealers (Ashwamegh, JayVijay and Pandit) in the last decade. However as a pleasant surprise, I came across this premium looking showroom that is coming up at ICC tower, SB Road.

The showroom will host Compass and I sincerely hope it takes the sales direction to the North, which is much needed for survival of this brand.
Old 28th May 2017, 00:14   #144
BHPian

Which car is this?

Hello BHPIns!!!!!

Sorry for delay in posting pics. This car i saw last Saturday around 8.30Pm, near ghorpadi bridge which is after koregaon park signal going towards Empress garden. I was trying to catch up with car.

Pics taken by wify as fast as she could try. we were in traffic so didn't got clear pics.

A 5 seater SUV, from logo which looked like circular & by wintone horn, car seems to Skoda, but coudn't locate any signifactnt sign to confirm it. TEMP plate is MH-12. tail light seems to be audi type. Rear antenna looks like Hyundai.

I checked on forum pics of skoda Karoq - but from that this car seems different.

Car was RED in Color. Under Headlights with keeping some distance on bumper there were pilot lamps in the shape of a long strip. Due to traffic noise can't hear engine noise, but overall seemed to silent car.

Infotainment system seemed regular small LED type display, not any touch screen type.

Next day while going to Ahmednagar, spotted same car which was in white color. may due to memories from last evening i could identify it immediately.

So gurus can you please throw some light on it, which car is this?

@ Mods please merge in thread if already exists.
Attached Thumbnails
Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170520_203505.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170520_203507.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170520_203948.jpg  

Meeting the Jeep Compass. EDIT: Priced between 14.95 to 20.65 lakhs-20170520_204024.jpg  

tushar_b is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 00:50   #145
BHPian

Re: Which car is this?

Thats the Jeep Compass:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...compass-9.html
swale84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 09:16   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Interestingly, the AutoCar review only covers the diesel 4X4 manual. There is a mention of the diesel auto 4X4 with the 9 speed transmission coming early next year. Absolutely no mention of the petrol variants or the diesel 4X2 variants. I am starting to doubt if the famed 1.4 multi air 2 with the dual clutch transmission is going to make it or not. That would be a sweet buy if it comes below the 20L mark.
Old 29th May 2017, 04:28   #147
BHPian

Isn't this supposed to be a C segment vehicle? When ACI's Shapur Kotwal interviewed Kevin Flynn and mentioned the Compass' C segment positioning, Flynn did not correct him.
Old 29th May 2017, 09:20   #148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by igp_79 View Post
The reason these features have been omitted in the India spec version may be to allow for the Compass to duck below it's immediate rival, the Tuscon in terms of price,and at the same time retain it's USP, namely the AWD system and the Jeep name tag.
I agree to this thought. Forget Tuscon we now even have the Tiguan being announced at 27-34 range for ex showroom. So for sure, Compass will hit the lower deck. May be over lap on the 4X4 a bit. But they sure they need to price it in the 18-25 range.

The only thought which comes to me is for folks wanting to upgrade from a Creta to a compass, the pricing will be key. A well spec'ed lower 2WD trim starting in the range of Creta would make an awesome upgrade!

May not be possible, but I can dream! Can't I !
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2017, 11:03   #149
Senior - BHPian

Very well written article in AutoCar. I just grabbed a copy at the airport today.
Old 29th May 2017, 12:49   #150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I agree to this thought. Forget Tuscon we now even have the Tiguan being announced at 27-34 range for ex showroom. So for sure, Compass will hit the lower deck. May be over lap on the 4X4 a bit. But they sure they need to price it in the 18-25 range.

The only thought which comes to me is for folks wanting to upgrade from a Creta to a compass, the pricing will be key. A well spec'ed lower 2WD trim starting in the range of Creta would make an awesome upgrade!

May not be possible, but I can dream! Can't I !
Not to forget people like me who own XUV and want to upgrade to something premium

I am just waiting for a 2WD Petrol version in the range of 18ish. Fingers crossed.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks