Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2017, 14:49   #16
BHPian

Re: April 2017: Whopping price cut on Land Rover SUVs in India

To be fair to JLR it looks like a honest price cut, see how pound had moved in last one year, 20% down+ corresponding savings in duties. It should not hold the prices artificially high in such a scenario and not try to make a windfall gain on few units of sale which it currently has, it will benefit customers in the long run if market base increases and dealers have higher volumes to sell and service
Attached Thumbnails
April 2017: Whopping price cut on Land Rover SUVs in India-screenshot_20170418000126.png  

autohead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:15   #17
BHPian

Wondering why F-pace is not getting any discounts. isn't it a CBU anymore ?
LionX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 16:38   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionX View Post
Wondering why F-pace is not getting any discounts. isn't it a CBU anymore ?
Apparently it was already priced at the discounted value.
Old 18th April 2017, 21:01   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
So, according to you, there should never be any price reduction or correction. Brexit, Pound devaluation, lower import duties. No matter what the manufacturer should just continue to pocket it, right?
You read me totally wrong sir.

I was not complaining about the price reduction; I've absolutely no problem with the latest LR pricing. In fact, this is great news!

I was complaining about the overnight price reduction. I was thinking about those who bought a LR last week or pre-March 31. That you lost a first rank for just one mark or a century by 1 run, these are all acts of God we can say. Can we say the same about this business decision?

Brexit, Pound devaluation, lower import duties. No matter what, they should have either informed the prospective customer before or announced a sweetening deal along with just like MSIL did with the S-Cross correction.
Maybe they might have done so, someone who is better informed can enlighten us if it's so.

OT: I am no Vogue owner, but I know personally atleast half a dozen people who can buy one (unfortunately they all drive Mercs). Believe me, they count every pea, every peanut, every grain of salt.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th April 2017 at 21:19.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 22:23   #20
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
You read me totally wrong sir.

I was not complaining about the price reduction; I've absolutely no problem with the latest LR pricing. In fact, this is great news!

I was complaining about the overnight price reduction. I was thinking about those who bought a LR last week or pre-March 31. That you lost a first rank for just one mark or a century by 1 run, these are all acts of God we can say. Can we say the same about this business decision?

Brexit, Pound devaluation, lower import duties. No matter what, they should have either informed the prospective customer before or announced a sweetening deal along with just like MSIL did with the S-Cross correction.
Maybe they might have done so, someone who is better informed can enlighten us if it's so.

OT: I am no Vogue owner, but I know personally atleast half a dozen people who can buy one (unfortunately they all drive Mercs). Believe me, they count every pea, every peanut, every grain of salt.
No offence meant, Sandeep Sir. But we, as customers, should rejoice at no-strings-attached price reduction. I mean if some car maker pulls out some features and reduces price by that much then it's meaningless. But otherwise, it should be welcome. In a free-market economy prices of goods do move up and down , in line with demand-supply equation, input-cost/tax/currency fluctuations. So, when prices come down, why complain. Sure, it will cause heartburn to those who bought just a day prior to that. But that can't be helped. A line has to be drawn somewhere. People do keep buying round the year, and someone or the other does get effected.

If someone who bought a day before feel cheated then it's wrong. Next, someone would crib that a day after his purchase, the lights were upgraded from incandescent bulbs to HID, at no extra cost. There is no end to this. Now think of someone who buys a particular model and the very next day company announces that they are pulling plug on that particular model. A relative bought Ritz last year and it's history now. These are part of the game. That is why the brochure reads, prices may vary, specs may change and company reserves the right to discontinue any model anytime in future as they deem fit. If we need written assurances from companies that none of this would happen, then we are not getting any. Similarly, if we keep hoping the prices will come down sometime down the road, we may never be able to buy anything. So, let's just rejoice when prices come down.
pgsagar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2017, 23:44   #21
Senior - BHPian

Rejoice, guys! This is good news for prospect buyers..

Shouldn't Jaguar follow the suit? How I would love the XE at a sensible price..
Abhi_Automobile is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th April 2017, 16:54   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Rejoice, guys! This is good news for prospect buyers..

Shouldn't Jaguar follow the suit? How I would love the XE at a sensible price..
Exactly my thought too. Why only LR? Why not J? I want to buy that 2L 237BHP Ford sourced turbopetrol in the smallest RWD package. Is that called "XE"?
Old 19th April 2017, 17:28   #23
BHPian

Excellent move by Land Rover. Looking at the various factors, this was expected to happen and its good to see that the brand has decided to pass a huge chunk of the benefit (or maybe all of it) to the customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

While I do understand your point, I still think it is not fair for those owners to crib. What if Land Rover increased the prices suddenly and someone bought the car just a day before it? The recent customers would then suddenly be delighted.

It doesn't make sense to expect the brand to announce a price drop, especially of this magnitude, well in advance. If they did, everyone would have waited for the prices to drop. Also, cars sold until a certain point must have been imported when the prices were higher. I have heard of cases where good discounts were being offered on these old stock cars. So most likely the price difference for the majority of recent customers isn't too big. For the very few (Sport and Vogue customers), all I would say is bad luck
amansanc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th April 2017, 12:59   #24
BHPian

This is good news...I have been considering a big premium SUV, have always liked the Range Rover, but the price has been too high. My next choice is the GLS. How I wish the Range Rover to be available at a GLS price. I wonder what the cost difference between these two cars is in the U.S.
Old 20th April 2017, 13:07   #25
BHPian

April 2017: Whopping price cut on Land Rover SUVs in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post
This is good news...I have been considering a big premium SUV, have always liked the Range Rover, but the price has been too high. My next choice is the GLS. How I wish the Range Rover to be available at a GLS price. I wonder what the cost difference between these two cars is in the U.S.

Speaking of price difference, the base range rover is approx 1.5x of the base GLS 450.
The Autobiography variants go much higher.

Last edited by kkkkkaran : 20th April 2017 at 13:09.
kkkkkaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 01:41   #26
BHPian

More Price Cuts for UK Brands:

Thanks to Brexit! Rolls-Royce, Aston Martin have cut prices in India by Rs 20L to more than Rs 1cr

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/58306306.cms
Attached Images

Last edited by Foxbat : 22nd April 2017 at 01:44.
Foxbat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2017, 01:20   #27
BHPian

This is great news from JLR, given that the Land Rover cars were always priced one segment higher than they needed to be in India!

However, while the Brexit and weakening of the Pound Sterling is a believable reason - not saying it isn't true; this is also great from a marketing perspective for Land Rover. Both the Range Rover and the Range Rover Sport are due in for facelifts in the 2018 model updates (already been spied numerous times), which would leave JLR with enough room to slightly hike up the prices again with the justification of the 'new' models; without the prices sounding obscene. Even then the hikes won't be anywhere close to the old prices, so still a win-win situation for the consumer!
Old 24th April 2017, 10:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indusboy View Post

In the US GLS 450 Is about $70000 for the base car and the Rangie is $87000. The autobiography is about $145000.

GLS and Range Rovers aren't fair comparison. The LX is slightly closer say by 5000 after discounts. But even then equally equipped Rangies commands roughly a 20% premium.

GLS fully loaded V8 is 96000 (usually discounted well)
Lx570 v8 + option pack is 98000
Range Rover V8 105000 + options

But Lexus is pricing the LX450D fully loaded version (still misses some equipment like SatNav, Panasonic sunroof) at about 2.35 ex showroom. That's a lot for any car, let alone a souped up Toyota LC200 that costs about 1.1 Cr. Now, that's a joke..the new price for the Range Rover Vogue SE V8 diesel is 2 crores (after this price cut) and even that is premium!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks