Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:24   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2017 Force Gurkha

Thanks for the review!
Now the only major update pending seems like engine and safety kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Silly Front Diff/Guard Skid plate shaped so poorly that this will probably get you stuck. Best to remove and put a better designed on in place.
Attachment 1625295
Attachment 1625296
Attachment 1625297
Probably designed as such to reduce the GC on purpose? Like what Mahindra did for the Scorpio? There is way too much clearance between the non articulating diff and the plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrot_eater View Post
First impressions - I actually felt that the cabin is significantly quieter than the Thar. The gear changes were fairly smooth. We got some good empty stretches on the road to push the Gurkha. The engine did not strain at all.

Attachment 1625150

Attachment 1625151

They made a new chassis and suspension for the Gurkha but still can't find a place for the tach on the console

Last edited by Sankar : 3rd April 2017 at 20:35.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 16:03   #92
BHPian

Quote:
9) The Force guy told me that the FM2.2 and improved dashboard is under testing and will be launched in about 6 months after ARAI approval.
Do you reckon it to be more fuel efficient? I hope more power comes with more responsible mileage. All i can think of is mileage.

-- Torqy
Old 4th April 2017, 18:11   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqy View Post
Do you reckon it to be more fuel efficient? I hope more power comes with more responsible mileage.
Since it is a fairly modern Merc engine, I don't see any reason, why it should give any less mileage than a 2.2 Mhawk or a 2.2 Varicor. I guess anywere from 10 to 12.5 should be reasonable.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 11:41   #94
BHPian

Hi
Can anybody throw some light on the off road capabilities between 3 door and 5 door explorer as their wheel base measure different.
Old 5th April 2017, 14:48   #95
BHPian

Hello All

I did a minor photo edit on the Gurkha 5 door model image. I think it looks better this way.

Sorry for the bad quality & not so clean edit.

All suggestions are welcome.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Force Gurkha-gurkha-xplorer_roof-mod.jpg  

finiteinjustice is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 16:27   #96
BHPian

Quote:
To start with just ABS/EBD will be a plus. Air Bags are useless unless the body is designed with proper crumple zones, etc. ABS will at least prevent skids and reduce stopping distances in wet conditions.
I kinda second that thought, the car has to be designed for safety, you cannot plonk in an airbag and hope for it take care of you during a crash.

But then, it got me thinking, the good ol Mercedes G wagon did not undergo any radical change (or did it, structurally?) , but they still managed to insert driver & passenger airbags and even window bags, and yeah it costs a healluva lot more.
Old 5th April 2017, 18:36   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
But then, it got me thinking, the good ol Mercedes G wagon did not undergo any radical change (or did it, structurally?)
The current G-Wagen I am sure is upgraded to meet global/International safety norms that are much stringent than ours. In India, Keyless entry, and push button start are preferred over safety features.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 19:15   #98
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Despite me being a harsh critic of Force, I must appreciate them for the changes they have made.
===
3) Offer ABS and Air Bags or at-least ABS since it is already in the Force Traveller.
So this is spot on with what we felt with our drive experience in Bangalore. They have a superb opportunity to work with!

Just tweak these rough edges and re-enter the Version 3 at same price point and i am sure that would be the end of the Thar as leader or even for the matter.. they will make a kill on the Bolero!
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th April 2017, 20:07   #99
BHPian

So, finally i took the Gurkha Expedition for a 20 minutes test drive.

My current vehicle : 2007 Bolero SLE 63BHP. 1.1L Odo. That should set the perspective / reference right.
The Gurkha Expedition was pre-PDA. Drove on deserted tarred, by lanes. No highway.

For :
-----
1. The engine - Silent. Pulled nicely through gears. Should be fine with the 8 passengers it's meant for. I'm never in a hurry, BTW.

2. Suspension - Good. Miles ahead of Bolero. Soaked up the potholes nicely with a gentle thud. No rear leaf-spring is good.

3. The view - Good visibility with good glass area all around.

4. Front seats - Comfortable. You sit high. I'm 5.5. I had to stretch to reach the gear, though.

5. Middle Row - Comfortable. Wider than Bolero. Nice legroom.

6. Last Row - Meant for 4 people. Luxurious for 2 kids during long trips.

7. Grab Handles - Lots of them all around which is welcome.

Against :
---------
1. Body Finish - Flawed. The Copper Red only accentuated the flaws. Bolero body finish is miles ahead. I guess the Superior White should hide the flaws better.

2. Dashboard - Not really thought out arrangement. Tacho looks like an afterthought if you manage to see it.

3. Gear Shift - Notchy from First to Second and back. Ok otherwise. Dealer said it'll be fine after PDA. Hope it's true.

4. General Fit and Finish - Not great. Could've been better. Bolero is much better.

5. Wiper action - The driver side wiper does not clean till the right edge. Leaves a rectangular (6in wide x height of the glass) area uncleaned. This can create blind spots / areas especially during rain.

6. The black wheel flares look hideous now. But i guess they'll be fine with a nice set of negative offset alloys. The alloys contribute tremendously in their brochure pics.

Will i buy? Hmm. Maybe if i can convince myself this to be as problem-free as my Bolero and get the finances right.
Torqy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th April 2017, 18:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
So this is spot on with what we felt with our drive experience in Bangalore. They have a superb opportunity to work with!

Just tweak these rough edges and re-enter the Version 3 at same price point and i am sure that would be the end of the Thar as leader or even for the matter.. they will make a kill on the Bolero!
Yes, to make any dent on Bolero sales, they've to get the price right. Right now, a more powerful engine, more seats and a better suspension are the Expedition's advantages. Not sure whether that demands a 10L on-road price. Also, if they bring the 2.2 engine later at the same price, the current buyers will be cheated. Tricky situation. Why can't these people get it right at the first time itself with all these years of experience?
Torqy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 11:34   #101
BHPian

What Happened? No activity?

Is the new Gurkha stillborn. Is anybody buying this one yet?

Last edited by Zappo : 21st April 2017 at 13:48. Reason: Please type in proper English with appropriate punctuations etc. Extra "?" at the end of each sentence edited out.
finiteinjustice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 18:19   #102
BHPian

Few queries if anyone can help me out here I will be obliged. I asked those in their official web page but yet to receive any reply. I'm putting the screen shot of those.
Attached Thumbnails
The 2017 Force Gurkha-screenshot_20170417225138173.jpeg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-screenshot_20170417225130554.jpeg  

The 2017 Force Gurkha-screenshot_20170418223216681.jpeg  

T2luvroads is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2017, 20:09   #103
Senior - BHPian

Let me share a few things I feel about engines.

1. CRDI diesel engines: Highly overrated, the entire euroIV and V,VI embroglio means the engine will be full of dirty soot which the exhaust is recycled back into engine in name of environment. This affects longevity of engines or you will have to baby your engines all the time.

2. Engine power-performance ratio and drivability cannot be guesses by mere bhp figures alone. Sometimes drivability is far better with a few HPs less on paper. Only the manufacturer and long term users can reveal the true potential of any engine. Mere bhp figures are misleading to say the least.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2017, 10:27   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finiteinjustice View Post
What Happened? No activity?

Is the new Gurkha stillborn. Is anybody buying this one yet?
I'm also waiting to see them on the roads. Nothing more confidence inspiring than seeing people use it.
Torqy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2017, 15:55   #105
BHPian

I still don't see them on the roads. But another video has surfaced.
No idea why it's posted in "comedy" category.
Torqy is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks