Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2020, 09:07   #601
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
With that kind of a front bumper
I feel they are iterative in nature, if you look at Post-596, you would notice that the bumpers are slightly smaller and more contoured with the body. Also with the camouflage, it can be difficult to tell.

My personal opinion with all the ratings and tests for India made vehicles, I believe M&M should have put some thought processes as it would enhance their brand in India.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto$apien View Post
The hard top version is really impressive on road. Saw an early prototype with steel wheels today.

Just look at the spare wheel size!

Is the weight of the wheel pulling the tailgate to the floor. As of now based on the various reports, we can assume Thar will have 17 & 18 inch wheels. I hope Mahindra addresses this issue

Also I hope the final product doesn't come with a key to open the fuel lid. That would look odd and not fit in scheme of things with the proposed 15L vehicle
I think M&M plan is to keep the enthusiasts guessing as much as possible. From the pics I have seen on this forum, the ones from South show almost a production-ready model while the ones doing the aggressive testing rounds in the hills show the bare-bones version with headlights and tail lamps attached from the previous version.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 19th February 2020 at 10:17. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!
diwakarmuthu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:07   #602
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The first image is perfect. That's exactly what small car owners like me dread! The moment when a Thar inches too close in the ORVM.

Quote:
The hard top version is really impressive on road. Saw an early prototype with steel wheels today.
And now I am getting interested, though early days. If I dont get a Tata of my liking, this one will be on my list. My planned running requires a decently rugged vehicle. Storme is doing it's duty, but looking for an alternative more suited to the usage (carrying stuff).
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 10:39   #603
Senior - BHPian

Though the vehicles in the spy shots look good, just a word of caution to prospective early adopters of the new Thar. Please wait for at least 6 months, and if you aren't in a hurry, for a year after launch to book your vehicle, so that the initial gremlins are addressed satisfactorily.

Sorry to be a devil's advocate, but after owning a M&M vehicle for 10 years and interacting with numerous owners in M&M workshop "lounges", all I can say is better be safe than sorry.
comfortablynumb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 11:01   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
proper AT at launch. Interesting....
Mahindra, please dont skip the 4x4 on the AT!
Old 19th February 2020, 11:12   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Just look at the spare wheel size!
That rear hatch door and hinges better be super strong to carry around such a huge steel wheel over roads and other surfaces !

and to all those waiting for this vehicle to be launched, start hitting the gym and strengthen your lower backs - wheel change will be a back breaking exercise
narayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 15:13   #606
BHPian

Coming to the weight part of it, I wonder why THAR weighs so high? Google search shows the following kerb weight results:
Old Thar (<4m length): 1670 Kg.
Ecosport diesel (<4m length): 1300 Kg.
Octavia (4.7m length) : 1395 Kg.
Jeep compass (4.4m length): 1700 Kg.

Is it because of the use of more metal parts? Or is it because Ladder Frame weighs more as I can see that Hexa is also very heavy vehicle at almost 2.2 tonnes.

The Old Thar with soft top makes its weight-to-length look pretty high.

Also why the front wheel arch is square and the rear in round? Kind of weird.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th February 2020 at 13:20. Reason: Typo
Old 19th February 2020, 18:17   #607
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Though the vehicles in the spy shots look good, just a word of caution to prospective early adopters of the new Thar. Please wait for at least 6 months, and if you aren't in a hurry, for a year after launch to book your vehicle, so that the initial gremlins are addressed satisfactorily.

Sorry to be a devil's advocate, but after owning a M&M vehicle for 10 years and interacting with numerous owners in M&M workshop "lounges", all I can say is better be safe than sorry.
Can you please elaborate a bit on the gremlins part. Were these present in your vehicle and were they fixed eventually.

I believe what you are saying since Tata had the same issue and there were some things that never got fixed in the Safari.

Does Mahindra also has the same problem. Their recent launches like the XUV3OO have been well received and reviewed.

So I guess the question is whether new Mahindra vehicles are still going to have lots of niggles and issues or have they improved over the last decade.

Bear in mind that the Thar has been in development for last 3 years.

Thoughts from fellow BHPians will be really helpful.
Old 19th February 2020, 18:26   #608
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrol_power View Post
Coming to the weight part of it, I wonder why THAR weighs so high? Google search shows the following kerb weight results:
Old Thar (<4m length): 1670 Kg.
Ecosport diesel (<4m length): 1300 Kg.
Octavia (4.7m length) : 1395 Kg.
Jeep compass (4.4m length): 1700 Kg.

Is it because of the use of more metal parts? Or is it because Ladder Frame weighs more as I can see that Hexa is also very heavy vehicle at almost 2.2 tonnes.
Yes. You are comparing a ladder-frame based 4x4 Jeep with a monocoque car. Ladder frame chassis itself adds a lot of weight in the car. Also - the other cars you mentioned make use of more modern light weight materials like Aluminium and its alloys etc in their chassis where feasible. Their engines are generally smaller and so are the transmissions owing to their intended usage (except perhaps for the Octavia in your list). Typical Mahindra & Tata cars use mainly steel parts & have been heavy traditionally. Hexa & Safari Storme were actually the benchmark of overweight cars pretty much. Safari Storme was heavier than even the larger Toyota Fortuner for that matter.

The 4x4 transfer case, drive shaft for rear wheels all bring their fair contribution to the weight.
Quote:
Also why the front wheel arch is square and the rear in round? Kind of weird.
Its a Jeep Thing! Anyway upfront there is not much of a wheel arch per say. Really the front of the wheel is open structurally. Its just covered with plastic parts for better visual appeal. There is no metal like other cars' wheel arches.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 20th February 2020 at 13:21. Reason: Quoted post edited.
Reinhard is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th February 2020, 20:09   #609
BHPian

At the risk of infraction for a single line post, when is mahindra launching the Thar? The thread is now 41 pages long.
Old 19th February 2020, 20:45   #610
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsbhagwat View Post
At the risk of infraction for a single line post, when is mahindra launching the Thar? The thread is now 41 pages long.
Officially - no information.
Unofficially - March, by many sites and auto blogs.
But looking at the spy shots in which they are still using parts from old/other models, I fell it's minimum one quarter away for the product to start delivery.

It came in my news feed that THAR might be the most spied test mule ever in India. But still not even a single spy shot of automatic. So that can be another quarter or even 2 quarters beyond the launch. And for petrol engine, Autocar had mentioned April 2021 for their mstallion engine 2 ltr to debut in THAR.

In short, its a long wait Mahindra is in no hurry at all.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2020 at 10:28. Reason: Please avoid typing with excessive dots... like... this. Thank you!
Old 19th February 2020, 23:56   #611
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Is it because of use of more metal parts? Or is it because Ladder on Frame weighs more as I can see that Hexa is also very heavy vehicle at almost 2.2 tonnes.
Ladder frame.set up does add weight , although it can still be made lighter if needed however the design consideration is not lightness and efficiency in terms of Thar, it is a utility vehicle, built for a hard life and last long while it's at it.

The frame is heavy as it needs to be able to take on many things including load, traverse terrain , accessories, roll cage, strong axles , transfer case etc, everything adds weight. The body panels as well are pretty strong.

You can stand on the bonnet look through the binoculars and enjoy the view up there, among many other things.

You do feel the weight of the hexa on the ride and handling side but the engine + auto transmission is effortless in operation. Current Thar in stock setup is super quick despite all that weight.
Kosfactor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 00:03   #612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But looking at the spy shots in which they are still using parts from old/other models, I fell it's minimum one quarter away for the product to start delivery.

It came in my news feed that THAR might be the most spied test mule ever in India. But still not even a single spy shot of automatic. So that can be another quarter or even 2 quarters beyond the launch. And for petrol engine, Autocar had mentioned April 2021 for their mstallion engine 2 ltr to debut in THAR.
This post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4751429 shows a production ready version.

I think there are just too many mules doing the duty. Some new and some older ones. Looking at the video above it sure looks ready.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2020 at 10:29. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 20th February 2020, 07:47   #613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
This post https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4751429 shows a production ready version.

I think there are just too many mules doing the duty. Some new and some older ones. Looking at the video above it sure looks ready.
This test mule has halogen lights. Having alloys, it should be the top end and as per latest reports (unofficial) , it's claimed that THAR would come with HID. Also the panels around centre touch screen seem unfinished. I also wish I am wrong as I want to see the vehicle in flesh. But in a way, its good that they do extensive testing and tweaking, to deliver a perfect product.
Old 20th February 2020, 12:09   #614
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Could you elaborate a bit about the gremlins you encountered in your vehicle or heard about in the workshop lounges. More importantly, from the point of view of prospective customers, did M&M manage to eventually find solutions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
..........Their recent launches like the XUV3OO have been well received and reviewed.
So I guess the question is whether new Mahindra vehicles are still going to have lots of niggles and issues or have they improved over the last decade.

Bear in mind that the Thar has been in development for last 3 years........
If after three years of development and rigorous testing [including at least one accident] to establish the limits of the vehicle, it would be rather surprising if gremlins are still lurking around.
Quote:
But looking at the spy shots in which they are still using parts from old/other models, I fell it's minimum one quarter away for the product to start delivery..........
Initially, the grapevine had it that the Mew Thar would make its debut at the Auto Expo. Then the news was that it would be launched soon thereafter. But no date has been announced.

I wonder why M&M seem in no hurry to launch the New Thar. After all production of the current model stopped in the first half of 2019 and the Special Edition of 700 vehicles have to be sold prior to 31 March 2020.

Having said that I agree that delivery will start in the second quarter of FY21, assuming the launch does take place next month.

Last edited by vb-saan : 22nd February 2020 at 10:30. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 20th February 2020, 12:43   #615
BHPian

Quote:
This test mule has halogen lights. Having alloys, it should be the top end and as per latest reports (unofficial) , it's claimed that THAR would come with HID.
In all probability, they are standard 7" round headlights. So It should be easy for Mahindra to fit HIDs or LEDs without much testing.

Quote:
Also the panels around centre touch screen seem unfinished.
Center Touch Screen with finished panels was already spotted in December --> Post# 475

I think we might be nearing the launch with recent spotting showing finished tail lights etc.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks