Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2020, 13:29   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venku2015 View Post
He is a professional 4x4 driver, ...........
What exactly does this mean? Is it his profession to drive offroad and he earns out of it?

I don't think that is the case. It is a case of a nincompoop trying to show his non existent offroad driving abilities by trying to perform a jump gone horribly wrong for a hyper excited photographer trying to make a career out of a DSLR and an instagram account.

Too many of such idiots around.

Non the less I would want to see the aftermath of that jump too. I'm sure that there was damage to the vehicle.
A mahindra test driver doing this torture test under controlled environment would have been ok. But this is just sheer idiotic!
navpreet318 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 16:01   #2057
Senior - BHPian

I think we need to take Thar jumping thing with a pinch of salt rather going to the extreme to call the guy as an id*** or dim***.

After all, it is M&M's car, not yours or mine. May be he did with M&M's consent, who knows the story. Let him test, show off or whatever. Far better than the likely staged drama of "3" people in Lamborghini.
balenoed_ is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 17:33   #2058
BHPian

So after having been glued to Thar videos and forum discussions everywhere on the internet and very careful negotiations with wife, I have planned to get into the Thar life, all shortcomings withstanding. The question now I have is, does it make sense to get an automatic (selling point is wife can also drive if ever she wants) and live with some atrocious FE or stick to manuals.

Also, Mahindra is always known to be a diesel maker and mHawk is a reliable one, but have been hearing good reviews of petrols also. Will it make sense to jump on an mStallion or wait for it to prove itself? The power figures are impressive but the FE of 7 to 8 expected is very low. Need some help from expert Jeepers please.

My usage will be 50 % city, 40 % highway and 10 % mild offroad.
justwheels is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 20:15   #2059
BHPian

I am on the same boat too. Petrol automatic or diesel automatic?
There are not many reviews on petrol automatic yet. Usually we worry about long term reliability of diesel engines. This is exactly opposite because mHawk has already passed the test of time.

Like justwheels says should we stay away from unproven mStallion?
sj_koova is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:02   #2060
Team-BHP Support

XUV 5OO had a petrol AT option - a 138 Bhp, 320Nm MHawk 2.2 petrol mated to an Aisin 6 speed AT. That option flopped royally in the market with Mr Goenka going on record stating that it sold only ~45 units in 6 months since launch.

Times have surely changed, NCR has the 10-year diesel rule, diesel prices are much higher and the direct injection turbo 2.0 would be a world apart from the old 2.2 petrol.

But is the market really ready for a large Mahindra petrol motor, that too with FE sapping TC gearbox and 4*4? I'd wait and watch.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:36   #2061
Senior - BHPian

My 1.5L NA AT hatch returns close to 10 kmpl in city and never more than 15 on the highway, Thar petrol AT should deliver around 7 to 8 at the max within city. Heavy car + Turbo petrol + TC gearbox would surely be a gas guzzler.
giri1.8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th September 2020, 21:47   #2062
VRJ
BHPian

What’s your take on this jump of the Thar? Regular high speed jumps in Rally sport are fun to watch, but this one felt like abuse to me. How many similar jumps do you think a car can take before the suspension gives up? One more reason to never buy a test-drive or media vehicle, you never know what they’ve been through.

I'm running out of Thar videos to watch on YouTube. I search for Mahindra Thar 2020 and sort it by 'upload date' to watch the latest videos. One more week and i think i might start understanding Malayalam . Eagerly waiting to test drive one.

Not sure if everyone has seen this picture that was posted on all Thar's social media handles, but I'm sharing this as i don't want anyone to miss this. What a lovely picture, i feel this one is the best pictures of the 2020 Thar on the internet, period. Our Indian manufacturer in the foreground with our Indian Gate as the background. Picture perfect.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img8810.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited by VRJ : 16th September 2020 at 22:08.
VRJ is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 00:29   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post
I'm running out of Thar videos to watch on YouTube. I search for Mahindra Thar 2020 and sort it by 'upload date' to watch the latest videos. One more week and i think i might start understanding Malayalam . Eagerly waiting to test drive one.

Cheers!
Ok, that proves I am not the only one going paranoid. I already started a few days ago watching "malayalam" reviews of Thar just to watch the vehicle as I have run out of videos now. Understand nothing but in any language, the reviewers have a big smile on their face talking about it.
When you make up your mind to get one for yourself, waiting for 2nd Oct looks ages.
The number of times I have checked the emi calculator to figure out various combinations is just uncountable now.

This will be the biggest decision by heart in my life. And I want to make it happen.
justwheels is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 04:12   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
...Thar petrol AT should deliver around 7 to 8 at the max within city. Heavy car + Turbo petrol + TC gearbox would surely be a gas guzzler.
An acquaintance who bought a Compass 1.4 turbo petrol AT was cribbing about the dismal 6 to 8 kmpl mileage figures.

7 to 8 kmpl within city for a high torque 150 bhp 2L large displacement Turbo Petrol AT in the city would be a very good mileage in fact and a very optimistic wish for the Thar.
My take is it could be dismally low in 4X4 offroading mode and around 5kmpl in city drives and with its high aerodynamic drag, FE would be in single digits on the highways too.
Diesel would be way more efficient, atleast in the low double digits.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 17th September 2020 at 04:15.
for_cars1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 07:29   #2065
BHPian

Its now close to 10 years since the first launch of the Thar and more since DB was seeking inputs on Team BHP much before the launch. The new launch of the Thar has brought the same feeling of anticipation. Personally have not been as interested in the launch of any other vehicle in the last 10 years as the new Thar. (Malayalam is my mother tongue and I am watching Thar related videos in every language I can find as well).

For those worrying about practicality and mileage - just please do not buy the Thar- buy something from Maruti with diesel and live happily with 20+ kmpl.

While this may seem idiotic I spent a a lot of time on driving behaviour analysis (due to my eariler work) and have detailed logs of my fuel efficiency with my Thar from 2012 till 2018 when I was driving around 60 km daily (on road only and was using the Thar as my daily drive).
When I go it first I was getting around 10-11 kmpl (without AC). But after analysing a lot of variables my city average went till 13 consistently. Highway trips with around 14-15 kmpl.
Sitting in a 7 hour traffic jam during the Chennai floods the FE dropped only to 10.

So finally what is the summary - buy the Thar not for "Fuel Efficiency" but for the "Fun Experience" you get driving it. 8+ years of ownership and I still get a smile on my face when I drive it !

(@Mods - can all Fuel Efficiency based posts for the Thar be banned here ? )
sjcherian is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 09:05   #2066
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post
Its now close to 10 years since the first launch of the Thar and more since DB was seeking inputs on Team BHP much before the launch. The new launch of the Thar has brought the same feeling of anticipation. Personally have not been as interested in the launch of any other vehicle in the last 10 years as the new Thar. (Malayalam is my mother tongue and I am watching Thar related videos in every language I can find as well).

For those worrying about practicality and mileage - just please do not buy the Thar- buy something from Maruti with diesel and live happily with 20+ kmpl.

While this may seem idiotic I spent a a lot of time on driving behaviour analysis (due to my eariler work) and have detailed logs of my fuel efficiency with my Thar from 2012 till 2018 when I was driving around 60 km daily (on road only and was using the Thar as my daily drive).
When I go it first I was getting around 10-11 kmpl (without AC). But after analysing a lot of variables my city average went till 13 consistently. Highway trips with around 14-15 kmpl.
Sitting in a 7 hour traffic jam during the Chennai floods the FE dropped only to 10.

So finally what is the summary - buy the Thar not for "Fuel Efficiency" but for the "Fun Experience" you get driving it. 8+ years of ownership and I still get a smile on my face when I drive it !

Couldn't agree with you more.

But this is consumer behavior - this is human economics - which says that human wants can never be fulfilled. We are never content and we want the best of all the worlds. And this is exactly what keeps the ball of evolution rolling - better design, better performance, better efficiency and on and on and on...

No one in their wildest dreams could have imagined a cruise control on the Thar - but now that we have it, are we content? Hell NO. Perhaps Mahindra can also throw in a 20+ FE on the Thar as well just to make it a more compelling proposition!! - now that's being greedy (read: human).
Old 17th September 2020, 10:12   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjcherian View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience and I agree this is the most anticipated car launch in many years.

On the FE front, while I agree it's not a car that is meant to be bought with that in mind, but the only reason it has become important is due to the fuel and transmission options. When you have 4 options available, with a petrol producing more power, you have to have a deciding factor and FE is one. And then the related costs of those variants.
I am sure many like me are the edge buyers who want to get and experience Thar for the first time and live with it, so knowing what it is to live with it is very useful.
Your details on FE figures were very useful, so thanks for that.
Old 17th September 2020, 10:46   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRJ View Post

Not sure if everyone has seen this picture that was posted on all Thar's social media handles, but I'm sharing this as i don't want anyone to miss this. What a lovely picture, i feel this one is the best pictures of the 2020 Thar on the internet, period. Our Indian manufacturer in the foreground with our Indian Gate as the background. Picture perfect.

Attachment 2056067

Cheers!
Thanks for the appreciation. This picture has been shot by my brother. And I agree, the Thar looks fabulous with India Gate in the background.
Dippy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 10:57   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
*SNIP*
I notice from the specs listed on the website that the LX trim gets the brake-linked(locked?)-differential in front (BLD) and that the AX version does not.

It has been mentioned here and elsewhere that the LX trim is aimed more at the "city" people and the AX is for the offroad enthusiast.

This being the case, I am surprised that the AX version does not get the BLD and that the LX version does.

The old Thar had auto-locking hubs in front; the new one (AX) does not; nor does it have BLD.

Does this mean that the AX version comes with an open-diff in front? Would that not be a no-no for a car that bills itself as an off-roader? It seems very odd. I honestly hope I am wrong about this.

Imagine a situation, say in the mud, where the rear wheels have no grip at all and the only grip available is to the Front Right wheel. In this case the car is well and truly stuck because the Front Left will spin uselessly and the Front Right won't have any torque sent to it.

Maybe GTO and Co. could specifically check this out with M&M and also during their official test.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th September 2020, 11:18   #2070
BHPian

Thar LX Automatic is the one i am looking for. Majority of my usage will be short trips. In a 10 KM of overall trip, i may stop 3 or 4 places. In such case, is Petrol is preferable over Diesel? My overall monthly trip also will be less than 1000 KM. I am currently having 1st Gen Figo 1.4 Diesel, the engine performance noticeably changes after around 15 KM of run.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks