Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:36   #2146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86

I'd much prefer rims & tyres like these. I like my SUVs & Offroaders with smaller rims & larger tyres. Don't agree with the R18 OEM size of the Thar. On my Thar, I am strongly considering a swap to R15 or R16.

Would also gain 30 mm of sidewall height with tyres like these, thereby cushioning the bumpy ride noticeably. These are my favourite A/T make & model, and this is almost a perfect upgrade size (if it doesn't scrape the new Thar's insides):

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200830-10.07.58.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200830-10.06.19.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200830-10.07.22.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200830-10.05.59.jpg

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-20200830-10.07.45.jpg
GTO is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:44   #2147
Senior - BHPian

All the guys expecting a low figure are in for a disappointment. Only the guys who are expecting an On-road price of 25 lakhs are going to be happy seeing the final rates. There is a thread about how the cost of 2-wheelers has gone up in the last few years. Same with cars. In the last 10 years Merc E class has gone from 35 Lakhs to 75 lakhs. The Honda City has gone from 8 lakhs to 22 lakhs.
Mahindra Thar will definitely be beyond 20 lakhs. May be the AX version could be lower but 13 OTR is living a fool's dream. It's a 'Lifestyle Vehicle' not a workhorse. No one expects it to do numbers. It may sell 100 per month at 1000% profit and act like a flagship.
After the No 1. auction, No 2 onwards will be sold with long waiting periods and seller is King attitude.
And for all the people hoping to pick up in the second hand market, it's going to command a premium there too.
So please stop speculating on the price and buy with your heart. (Selling kidneys will not cover the price. :-)
wildsdi5530 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 19:50   #2148
Team-BHP Support

One clear picture of the boot, from the Thrust Zone youtube review -

Looks like two travel bags can be accommodated vertically, even if bit of a squeeze.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-screenshot_20200922194418_youtube.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:03   #2149
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I'd much prefer rims & tyres like these. I like my SUVs & Offroaders with smaller rims & larger tyres. Don't agree with the R18 OEM size of the Thar. On my Thar, I am strongly considering a swap to R15 or R16.
Agree that a taller side wall is better for a Jeep, just make sure the brake rotor would fit inside the wheel. If it has Scorpio's brakes (Assuming since chassis is gen3) chances are that it needs minimum R16.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 20:20   #2150
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Mahindra Thar will definitely be beyond 20 lakhs.
I seriously doubt that. OTR price more than 20L is a recipe for disaster and will guarantee a dead on arrival Thar v2.0. Mahindra's Quality pedigree isn't the best, and they aren't exactly known for getting things right the first time (not withstanding the Marazzo and XUV300). Even at sub 20L prices, the early adopters will need a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief and a massive leap of faith for signing on the dotted line. That's why I concur with the recommendation of waiting a few months before buying one. IMO, the XUV500 pricing policy will serve them best - start low and increase gradually over the years.

I own a M&M vehicle myself, and the reasons for expressing the above opinion are written in the post below:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4755269 (The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86)

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 22nd September 2020 at 20:26.
comfortablynumb is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 21:34   #2151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Does anyone know of how these logistics works?

Like where are those vehicles now that were let out during the unveil, who owns it, what will happen to those test vehicles - will it be sold, when does the showroom guys get the TD/display vehicles.. etc.. The sales guy nearby here does not have any clue on the developments; mostly I feed him the information that I gather here in T-BHP.
Not sure how far this is legit, but this is what i could gather from a few 'off-the-record' conversations:

The media cars are gifted to the well-known (or rather the more influential) media houses. The test mules are used internally or sent to the Mahindra adventure academy.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:00   #2152
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Even at sub 20L prices, the early adopters will need a healthy dose of suspension of disbelief and a massive leap of faith for signing on the dotted line. That's why I concur with the recommendation of waiting a few months before buying one. [/url]
Good advice but often forgotten once you sit on that driver seat. The pickup , the driving position and how the vehicle makes you feel - that is their party trick. Would you spend 20L on a Scorpio? Even in 2018 it was 20L+ fully loaded in BLR. That one dealer alone was selling 22 average per month even at that price.

Times have moved on where people used to joke about Indian brands doing R&D after selling the vehicle.

Let's look at JDPower survey.The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200922_212253.jpg

And then.

The 2020 next-gen Mahindra Thar : Driving report on page 86-img_20200922_212411.jpg

Of course these are not indicative of Thar 2020.
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:01   #2153
BHPian

If you ask me Thar doesn't deserve a price tag of >20L. Whatever features Mahindra have plonked they have to keep in mind that they will not be able to justify if they price it abruptly. 16-17L for the top model can be justified keeping in mind the inflation and other factors.
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:26   #2154
BHPian

Quote:
All the guys expecting a low figure are in for a disappointment. Only the guys who are expecting an On-road price of 25 lakhs are going to be happy seeing the final rates. There is a thread about how the cost of 2-wheelers has gone up in the last few years. Same with cars. In the last 10 years Merc E class has gone from 35 Lakhs to 75 lakhs. The Honda City has gone from 8 lakhs to 22 lakhs.
Mahindra Thar will definitely be beyond 20 lakhs.
So please stop speculating on the price and buy with your heart. (Selling kidneys will not cover the price. :-)
For a wannabe Jeeper, this will be more than disaster, and I honestly feel someone will be in a dreamland to even think of selling Thar at north of 20L. They should make auction cars only if thats what they want.

Completely understand it will be costlier than old Thar, but this much, is "Alice in wonderland" showpiece.
I guess speculations will continue till 2nd October and hope we all live happily ever after. The reviews across the board are predicting 12 to 15 lakhs which seems reasonable. And I sure M&M is surely reading that. If they go off the expectation beyond thoughts, I don't think sub 100 will also be reasonable, may be sub 10.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 22:38   #2155
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Agree that a taller side wall is better for a Jeep, just make sure the brake rotor would fit inside the wheel. If it has Scorpio's brakes (Assuming since chassis is gen3) chances are that it needs minimum R16.
The lower AX gets 16inch wheels which is probably the smallest size it can take.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:43   #2156
BHPian

Quote:
Mahindra Thar will definitely be beyond 20 lakhs. May be the AX version could be lower but 13 OTR is living a fool's dream. It's a 'Lifestyle Vehicle' not a workhorse. No one expects it to do numbers. It may sell 100 per month at 1000% profit and act like a flagship.
After the No 1. auction, No 2 onwards will be sold with long waiting periods and seller is King attitude.
And for all the people hoping to pick up in the second hand market, it's going to command a premium there too.
Its definitely not going to be priced at 25 otr for the top model for sure and anyone saying so right now without the actual prices being declared is well themselves in a parallel universe.

The top trim lx wont exceed 17 approx OTR in delhi and i have booked one informally albeit with koncept mahindra in the lovely copper colour 😁
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2020, 23:46   #2157
BHPian

I'm not as well versed on the engineering front but my work entails me frequently sitting on internal costs and client cost sheets for our projects. Basis that philosophy only, I reckon M&M should not be incurring a very hefty incremental cost on this new machine. I mean every company gives the procurement chaps the same old KPAs yoy, reduce cost by x% and increase the supplier base. As a supplier to MSIL we do that too, innovate and pass on economies to their dealers on their behalf. M&M is mammoth of a manufacturer, not very dependant on foreign supplies(guesstimate). Aesthetic improvement does not necessarily imply cost inflation, in-fact sometimes it is inversely proportional! A touchscreen, better alloys, resources spent on the new design etc don't merit a 5 lakh rupee escalation, my reference being the previous gen Thar, top spec was about 9.8 ex showroom.
So for me the break down would be :-
A) +100k for the AT engine, don't know if this is justified but this is how I see with every car vis-a-vis its manual counterpart.
B) +75k for the frills namely touchscreen + software(carplay etc)+Instrument cluster+LED Drls+LED Tail lights etc.
C) + 100k Just for the novelty/buzz/early adopters/cash in the new cow etc. (This is a no cost mark up over and above whatever they must be making on my base of 9.8)

Happy Price in my mind for the Top Spec = 12.75 Lakhs Ex showroom. Which by the way is almost 30% higher than the previous gen.
I'm also pretty certain, nobody is getting home a Thar without getting at-least 30-40k worth of those genuine accessories, and we all know how good they are for the margins.

Anything in excess of 15 Lakhs on the road anywhere in the country would be testing the waters too hard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
Its definitely not going to be priced at 25 otr for the top model for sure and anyone saying so right now without the actual prices being declared is well themselves in a parallel universe.

The top trim lx wont exceed 17 approx OTR in delhi and i have booked one informally albeit with koncept mahindra in the lovely copper colour 😁
Oh wow man, do they have a physical color palette at the outlet ?
Also just noticed, the Thar goes very well with your Tbhp name

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 23rd September 2020 at 00:13. Reason: Back to back posts.
Karan_n8 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 01:34   #2158
Distinguished - BHPian

So many pricing predictions!

From less than 10 lakhs to more than 20 lakhs, that's quite a range. Folks at M&M must be rubbing their hands in glee seeing that probably everyone wants a piece of the Thar in their budget!
Dry Ice is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2020, 07:43   #2159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSY View Post
Sorry was not able to edit the earlier post to add the link of the video.Attaching the same here.

https://Youtu.be/86MIqygJp_A
The soft top fitting looks nice and tight, unlike the media drive cars, which had ill fitting soft top.

From some rear angle it does resemble the hard top.

Well done M&M
Old 23rd September 2020, 08:20   #2160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
The soft top fitting looks nice and tight, unlike the media drive cars, which had ill fitting soft top.

From some rear angle it does resemble the hard top.

Well done M&M
The soft tops in the media drive were probably the convertibles as they look quite different.

Although the black AX version looks great, in my view, the soft top kind of looks weird. I find the media car better looking.

Check this one out:

Last edited by Pancham : 23rd September 2020 at 08:22.
Pancham is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks