Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2017, 10:46   #61
BHPian

re: Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh

The last sensible launches ( in terms of pricing) that I remember were the tiago, the kwid and the Xuv. Look where these products are today. Established. All the other launches have been overpriced (s cross, duster, ecosport). Ultimately had to resort to price cuts. Hope Honda learns from this, I have a very strong feeling they won't. Seems everybody wants to do a Creta. Go on Honda, surprise us. Remember dolphin city in 03/04? The prices were reduced compared to the outgoing model.(different engine though).
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 11:11   #62
BHPian

I thought the Jazz itself is overpriced - the VX is at 11.05 lacs on road in Bangalore. Knowing Honda, this WRV must be atleast 60 -80k costlier than the jazz, variant to variant. I see a dud-on-arrival, if not dead-on-arrival.
veyron_head is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 12:10   #63
BHPian

Honda really needs to introduce turbo petrols by now. They are taking things for granted. This WRV is just an insult to an otherwise good looking Jazz in my opinion. Magic seats only on top end variant!! I don't understand the logic behind this at all.
Old 28th January 2017, 13:16   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some more information on the WR-V (& other Hondas)

Thank you to the Team-BHP fan (he prefers to remain anonymous) who sent this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts!
One word - Disappointing!

Honda is better off launching Jazz RS as a variant above VX with 1.5L engine and interiors common with the updated City.

This option will sell well than WR-V.
Attached Thumbnails
Honda WR-V production begins in India. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 7.75 lakh-jazz-rs.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 17:44   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron_head View Post
I thought the Jazz itself is overpriced - the VX is at 11.05 lacs on road in Bangalore. Knowing Honda, this WRV must be atleast 60 -80k costlier than the jazz, variant to variant. I see a dud-on-arrival, if not dead-on-arrival.

At the same price of 11 lakhs OTR Bangalore, one can get hold of a Polo GT TSi with a superb DSG box!
In fact if one stretches a bit even the base Creta diesel is within reach!

And now to the point of the WRV, well it looks to be in a position where it's set for failure. The car has no SUV presence, although i personally detest pseudo SUVs like the Brezza, they work at least from an Indian consumer point of view, which the WRV doesn't!
The city seems to be the only steady cash cow for Honda with all other launches not living up its badge, I think it's time for Honda to play the premium game like Hyundai. Bring the Civic, drop mobilio and may be even the Brio.
motorworks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 18:09   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Some more information on the WR-V (& other Hondas)
I'm not sure which audience Honda is targeting with the WRV. People who have 11 - 12 lac to spend on a car has a lot of options in India these days - hatchbacks, sedans and pseudo SUV's. I can't see Honda offering anything more than the established players!

The only explanation I can find for Honda not offering the 1.5L in the WRV - cutting R & D costs. Folks who are more in sync with the auto industry can shed more light. Engine + Gearbox + Chassis combination which works well in the Jazz can be shifted en-masse into the WRV - only cosmetics would remain, which would be considerably cheaper. I'm in no way justifying Honda here, but taking the safer & cheaper option will most definitely work against them in the future.

The WRV with 1.5L would have justified a 80-100k premium over the Jazz 1.2L. I'd accept a maximum premium if 30-40k over the Jazz for the Jazz Cross (WRV)!
Old 28th January 2017, 18:18   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
The only explanation I can find for Honda not offering the 1.5L in the WRV - cutting R & D costs.
The WR-V is internationally offered in the 1.5L (P) trim, so where is the additional R&D cost incurred?
This is sheer arrogance on Honda's part, if the 1.2L (P) engine is offered only in India.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 18:20   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

2017 is going to be an acid test for Honda Cars India.

The Jazz hasn't done as well as the company expected it to, the Brio didn't pick up many sales in it's makeup avatar, and the BR-V came down as fast as a roller coaster train on it's way down.

The only two models which have been raking in the moolah are the Amaze and the City, and even both of them are feeling the heat from in-segment competition. If the December 2016 sales numbers are any indication, things are going downhill for the Jap auto major in the Indian market.

As such, a lot of the company's hopes ride on it's 2017 launches - the City facelift, the WR-V crossover and the all-new CR-V. There was an indication earlier that we might see the all-new Civic by end-2017, but that seems far away now.

This was a great chance for Honda to stage a comeback. But with the City continuing with the same engines with makeup plastered on front and rear, it remains to be seen how it will fare against an improved Maruti-Suzuki Ciaz (which will move to Nexa and become a premium offering), and the all-new Hyundai Verna.

Which brings us to the WR-V. As if the under-powered 1.2L in the Jazz wasn't eye-watering enough, now the smaller i-VTEC has to pull extra kilos of the WR-V as well! Add to that, Honda isn't giving anything special to the WR-V to make it stand out from the crowd as a differentiating factor - except the all-round changed looks. Even then, the i20 Active with it's bold front and contemporary profile looks much better. As for interiors, we have seen that mere in-cabin space isn't enough to sell a car. The glaring omissions which the Jazz has, at it's atrocious Rs 10-lakh plus price point, hasn't boded well for the premium hatch. If this "premium" compact crossover brings more of the same at a higher price point, I don't see how that will translate into sales.

For once, Honda could have given the 1.5L i-VTEC option as a real differentiating factor in the WR-V's segment. But they have blown that chance too.

The future doesn't look too promising for the WR-V. "Winsome", lose many?

Last edited by RavenAvi : 28th January 2017 at 18:28.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 19:23   #69
Senior - BHPian

This is what I think of Honda Cars currently Sold in India

BRIO - Only Considered/Bought by Existing Big Car Owners
AMAZE - People looking at a Sedan instead of Compact Hatch. Also, some cab owners.

JAZZ - Very Good Engineered Car, but Overpriced & not well equipped.
CITY - Company Saving Car which is doing well, but recently is facing stiff competition from Well Priced & Packaged Ciaz. But Both Cars have thier own share of USPs. Personally speaking, I like City more. (Not Because it's a Honda).

MOBILIO - Overpriced for what essentially is a Amaze with Extra row of seat. Should have been better priced.

BR-V - Updated Mobilio, but a better package then the former. But the biggest reason it's not selling is the lack of SUV Stance & Obvious High Price. It should have been 100-150k lesser then what it's now.

ACCORD HYBRID - If they intended to sell this, they should have assembled it from the word start. Toyota did that successfully. Camry is a better package despite being older by 4 years.

CR-V - An SUV without Diesel Option. Honda, this is India & not USA. We are not as rich as them to use a Very Thirsty Petrol SUV. No Doubt, it is a good car, but a Diesel would have made it so much a tempting option.

With WR-V, I don't have much hopes. Because it doesn't have the difference to compensate the High Price. Also, the 1.5 Petrol would have been good, but that doesn't seem to be happening.

So, WR-V will be the "New Flop" from Honda.

They neither are a Volume Brand nor a Premium Brand. Don't know why they are doing like this.

Unless, they change thier strategy for the Indian Market within the next 12-18 months, I can see them becoming the Next Chevrolet, that's for sure.

Sheer Arrogance & Stupidity from the Reputed Japanese Giant.
CarguyNish is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 20:02   #70
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda WR-V (Jazz-based crossover). EDIT: Unveiled!

I just can't remember the last time that people were happy about ANY facelift. Be it Honda, Tata, Maruti whoever. Fiercest vocal opposition for any change in the design whatsoever. Without even seeing the car or knowing the specs, people are commenting about worst visibility (Jazz with visibility problem?!), ugly design and whatnot.

I too like the design. Jazz is a wonderful sub-4m option and having it on raised platform and rugged surrounding is not going to hurt.

EDIT: not commenting on anyone particular, but this tenancy of opposition based on pictures alone, without even getting to know the specs.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2017, 21:03   #71
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz was always a practical vehicle, with a spacious, airy and roomy cabin having brilliant packaging. Powertrains were also very fuel efficient and good for the daily commute. It, maybe, was somewhat, hampered by its slightly low ground clearance, (for India) and the weak 1.2L gasoline engine.

If the new thingy, W-RV or whatever Honda is calling it, takes care of the above issues, in fact with GST looming over the horizon, the benefits of sub 4m and sub 1.2L will not be applicable any more; and Honda prices this model around 30,000 INR more than equivalent regular JAZZ variants, kitted out with commensurate equipment levels; this model may work for Honda in India.

It will be interesting to watch the sales graph.
Old 29th January 2017, 01:14   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsofsteel View Post
am really surprised. Having been a first gen jazz owner, can vouch for the fact that this is a gem of a engine. Even the team bhp official review attests to this fact except for lack of grunt at low rpms which is the bane of any vtec. Even all the owner reviews were gaga over the refined engine. Suddenly I find words like anaemic, dull etc etc being used. What has changed?
Tuning is different. The 1.2 iVTEC they sell now just does not pull the way it did in the old Jazz. If you remember, the old Jazz had ARAI certified FE of 16.xx kmpl. With the new cars, it is much higher. This is why the difference is. The weak bottom end remains. But the magic that happened after 3000rpm is gone. It does not rev as high either, and starts to get a bit trashy near the redline.

PS: I drive the first gen Jazz myself.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 29th January 2017 at 01:25.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 10:47   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Tuning is different. The 1.2 iVTEC they sell now just does not pull the way it did in the old Jazz. If you remember, the old Jazz had ARAI certified FE of 16.xx kmpl. With the new cars, it is much higher. This is why the difference is. The weak bottom end remains. But the magic that happened after 3000rpm is gone. It does not rev as high either, and starts to get a bit trashy near the redline.

PS: I drive the first gen Jazz myself.
I totally disagree with you Shreyans. Though the low end torque is poor, it pulls cleanly all the way up to red line. I own the new Jazz and the drive has always brought a smile on my face. All Honda needs to work on is the low end torque, and the new Jazz will be undoubtedly the best hatchback available in the market. Having said that, I have to agree that the interiors in the old Jazz were better. Other than that, the new Jazz scores on all fronts. I am surprised to see that BHPians are taking potshots at the new Jazz just by looking at the price, which I strongly feel should not even be a parameter while judging a car.
vijjuvk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 11:05   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijjuvk View Post
Though the low end torque is poor, it pulls cleanly all the way up to red line. I own the new Jazz and the drive has always brought a smile on my face. All Honda needs to work on is the low end torque, and the new Jazz will be undoubtedly the best hatchback available in the market. Having said that, I have to agree that the interiors in the old Jazz were better. Other than that, the new Jazz scores on all fronts. I am surprised to see that BHPians are taking potshots at the new Jazz just by looking at the price, which I strongly feel should not even be a parameter while judging a car.
don't be surprised, I think I was the first on this forum to buy the 1st gen jazz and all I could see were naysayers (I went solely by my TD and the team bhp review). Almost every post here was hell bent on comparing it with the then VFM - the i20, which, I have to agree, made solid financial sense. However, the x factor that I saw in the 1st gen jazz was, for me, missing in the i20. So I went ahead and bought it. The mindset in the forum by and large reflects the market and that's why both the jazz iterations flopped. This doesn't take away anything from the car. After all everybody posting here may not necessarily have driven the jazz before rendering an opinion. (Even I haven't driven all the cars but for sure, have a opinion). So take it with a pinch of salt.
handsofsteel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2017, 11:30   #75
Team-BHP Support

And Honda has floundered once again. WR-V with a 1.2L petrol engine is a joke. On top of that they will charge 80K-1L more for the WR-V over the Jazz. The Jazz itself is overpriced and lacks features vs the Baleno and Elite i20 and the WR-V looks similarly under specced. Basically a perfect recipe for another flop.

Honda's are known for their engines and it looks like Honda India has forgotten that. Now when you offer a Honda with a mediocre engine and with lesser features, what exactly is the USP you are offering?

The first thing they should have done with the WR-V was to plonk in the 1.5L engine and forget about the 1.2L. It's just common sense when you're struggling in the market with all your products.
Vid6639 is offline   (7) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks