Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 14:53   #46
BHPian

Re: Peugeot to re-enter India with the CK Birla Group

I live in Estonia now and just yesterday a colleague and I decided to go and check out the new 5008 (he has a Kaptur and wants to switch). We got into a conversation on Peugeot's first outing in India, and how the market has now become so competitive that they will have to do miracles to crack the market today; plus the baggage that the brand carries. And lo & behold, I see this thread on TBHP today.

I am not a big fan of Peugeot designs but the 3008 and 5008 are a leap ahead and had me spell bounded when I saw them.
Old 10th November 2017, 18:48   #47
Senior - BHPian

Construction of the PSA-AVTEC powertrain plant has begun with a ground-breaking ceremony held at the site. The manufacturing facility is being built in Hosur, Tamil Nadu.

Peugeot to re-enter India with the CK Birla Group-psa1.jpg

The plant will have an initial manufacturing capacity of 2,00,000 units per year, however there are plans to ramp up the capacity in the future. The factory will produce engines and transmissions for the domestic market as well global OEMs. According to the company, a local supplier base will also be set up in order to lower costs.

Peugeot to re-enter India with the CK Birla Group-psa.jpg

The French automotive conglomerate PSA Group and the CK Birla Group had signed a 50:50 joint-venture back in January 2017. As part of the agreement, the two companies plan to manufacture and sell vehicle components in India under the newly formed company - PSA-AVTEC Powertrain Pvt. Ltd.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 10th November 2017 at 18:50.
TusharK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th November 2017, 22:05   #48
BHPian

Now CK Birla own HM(Hindustan Motors), and HM has an alliance with Mitsubishi. If Peugeot comes into India with the help of HM, so where does HM-Mitsubishi partnership stand?
Or will there be a Tripartite Partnership agreement among them.
Old 10th November 2017, 22:34   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glikithvinayaka View Post
Now CK Birla own HM(Hindustan Motors), and HM has an alliance with Mitsubishi. If Peugeot comes into India with the help of HM, so where does HM-Mitsubishi partnership stand?
Or will there be a Tripartite Partnership agreement among them.
We all know where Mitsubishi is in India, we all know how the dealerships have literally vanished from the Indian market. There is one dealer where I live called Maya Motors, slowly he's been shrinking his showroom to accomodate others so that he can stay afloat. This with Chennai being the hub for HM Mitsubishi operations. I don't see PSA doing any better, especially after literally 'absconding' from the Indian market leaving their clients saddled with products with no service support some years ago. That said average Indians memory is rather short.
Durango Dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 14:24   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mitsubishi's automobile arm globally is not doing well. HM otherwise also is bankrupt with no product in development / sale. Peugeot for that matter may catalyse HM and revive its fortune if the strategy for entry in India and the product line is accepted by the masses.

I see a ray of hope from this relationship.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2017, 14:55   #51
Senior - BHPian

The latest on this front is that PSA Group is reportedly talking about investing €1 billion ($1.2 billion) to build a car factory and an engine plant in southern India.

This news report is quoting an unnamed person, who has 'direct knowledge' of the matter.

He might be wrong on the 'car factory' part.
Old 6th December 2017, 13:29   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

PSA plans to bring Maruti Suzuki Swift competitor; expects to rollout by 2020

Codenamed SC21 will be the competitor to Maruti Suzuki Swift and will sit between Hyundai Grand i10 and Maruti Suzuki Baleno, in terms of positioning.

Source

But Maruti Suzuki is speculated to have an Electric version of Swift in 2020
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2018, 15:25   #53
BHPian

Some ambitious plans have been reported by Business World -

Quote:
According to a well-informed source, “There are three products lined up by PSA Peugeot Citroen comprising a hatchback, a compact sedan and a compact SUV and are codenamed SC1, SC2 and SC3 respectively.
Quote:
..these models will be priced very competitively with a localization reaching beyond 80-85%
All 3 models will be based on PSA PF1 platform which is their sub compacts platform.

Link

Last edited by pacman2881 : 2nd January 2018 at 15:28.
Old 11th June 2018, 09:21   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

PSA to Drive into India in an SUV, likely to go after the Premium SUV and rival Jeep Compass. Later would go after more mass volume segments.

Quote:
PSA plans to import Citroen C84 or Citroen C5-Aircross in India to seed the brand before transitioning to the mass market. PSA is considering assembly of the vehicles at its Chennai factory, although the move is yet to receive final approval

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 09:05   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

PSA delays India re-entry by a year

Groupe PSA now plans to begin local manufacturing by Apr 2021.

Link
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 10:21   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
PSA delays India re-entry by a year

Groupe PSA now plans to begin local manufacturing by Apr 2021.

Link

Why is that the European manufacturers are not quick to react and seem to have a very long drawn decision making process? I would not be surprised if PSA actually pulls out!

Just look at KIA, the buzz they have been creating and also the speed of their factory coming up ! Agreed they have backing from Hyundai, but even the biggest manufacturers from Europe like VW, Fiat group, Renault and now PSA seem to get it wrong in India. Either they are too premium or they get the products completely wrong by messing up the design and quality levels.

I would think only Ford has got it fairly right with the Ecosport and the new Figo aspire twins. But they are still far behind Hyundai, even though they entered the market around the same time frame.
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 16:13   #57
Senior - BHPian

I have a lot of respect for Peugeot, but not their choice of partners. First, PAL, then ... I do not have a high opinion of their new partners. Having owned a 205GL in the past I have a lot of respect for their engineering. I fact I was surprised to find the 309/209 which was the saloon version of the 205 bombing out.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 17:51   #58
Team-BHP Support

Peugeot do not enjoy the deep pockets unlike Kia/Hyundai. Besides, they have spent a lot on the GM Europe acquisition and this is diverting a lot of their attention
Old 20th November 2018, 22:42   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
That said average Indians memory is rather short.
I beg to differ. I feel it left an ugly scar on our market where car is more of a luxury rather regular need.

No wonder why people are blindly buying Maruti.

The scar is so big that other more committed players are finding it tough to convince us about their long term commitment.

Sharing my personal experience with FIAT. 6 years ago a friend purchased a FIAT Punto. He liked everything on the car. Every person he turned for advice had only one doubt, the doubt about FIAT shutting shop. 5 years down the road, FIAT didn't shut shop. They are struggling but still fighting it out. But still standing today for his next car, same question, Abarth? But what if FIAT leave India?

Although he liked the car and purely on merit of the car, he won't mind another Punto in Abarth avatar but simply for mental peace, FIAT won't get this sale. He is more likely to buy SCross or may be Freestyle. Even though FIAT serviced the car, regular spares were available. As a family car, it served him well, no less than a Maruti would have.
NaXal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2018, 22:47   #60
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Peugeot will eventually decide not to enter. Save all some effort and themselves a lot of money.

They don't have deep pockets to wipe the slate clean.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks