Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th December 2018, 09:59   #376
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
All we are saying is that its priced way too close to the established, much more capable and reliable offerings from well established makers of cars.
Established - ok, agreed. But how have you deduced that the other cars are 'much more capable and reliable' than the Alturas? Have you driven them back to back? Have you done an in depth comparison? Have you looked beyond the badge? Have you considered that the G4 is not just a cosmetically modified Rexton?

That is exactly what I am trying to convey here. How can we conclude a vehicle is no good as compared to her rivals without any first hand information?

I am in no way saying that the Alturas is worth 35 lakhs or is better or worse than the rivals. All I am saying is that we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions without any proof.
SCORPION is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 10:53   #377
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Established - ok, agreed. But how have you deduced that the other cars are 'much more capable and reliable' than the Alturas? Have you driven them back to back? Have you done an in depth comparison? Have you looked beyond the badge? Have you considered that the G4 is not just a cosmetically modified Rexton?

That is exactly what I am trying to convey here. How can we conclude a vehicle is no good as compared to her rivals without any first hand information?

I am in no way saying that the Alturas is worth 35 lakhs or is better or worse than the rivals. All I am saying is that we shouldn't be jumping to conclusions without any proof.
That's the charm of rumoring and gossiping, right? You can say anything you like and speculate all you want, but the moment you bring facts into the picture, there's not much to talk about suddenly

That said, it's only reasonable/natural to expect a monetary compensation for a car and brand that is yet to proof itself. Like I said in a previous post, from sub 20L XUV, 35L is quite a jump for Mahindra, which many will be wary of. The fact that Mahindra is not only pricing it below its competitors but also upped the ante in terms of quality of interior and features seems to be ignored by most, though. May be this tells us that the market is not yet ready for a premium Mahindra vehicle.
prakash_ajp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 11:22   #378
BHPian

Quote:

You're right. Lots of unknowns.

Maybe we can opine on what we already know. Ssangyong has a reputation of questionable reliability. Mahindra had issues with previous generation Rexton as well, and service centres were ill equipped nor trained. The G4 is a controlled product from MB and any development has to be approved by them, so anything more than rebadging by Mahindra cannot be expected.

Based on known facts, and Mahindra's reputation, words of caution don't seem out of place. I might even say it's based more on reality than rooting for a company with nothing more than optimism and "National pride".

Cheers
gthang is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 15:03   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Established - ok, agreed. But how have you deduced that the other cars are 'much more capable and reliable' than the Alturas? Have you driven them back to back? Have you done an in depth comparison? Have you looked beyond the badge?
There is a reason why reputations are built over time. Toyota is the reliability benchmark across the world and in India. Toyota’s credibility comes from decades upon decades of manufacturing cars with top notch reliability, from their cheapest to their most expensive. What is Sannyong’s pedigree, credibility? You cannot judge reliability and how they are to live with after driving them back to back, even then I am pretty sure that Toyota drives better and so does Ford.
Quote:
Have you considered that the G4 is not just a cosmetically modified Rexton?
It is exactly that, a cosmetically modified Rexton.

Quote:

Jumping to conclusion is actually putting Sannyong on par with Toyota. A brand with no history or credibility what so ever against the world’s best without any proof.

P.S. Please go ahead and read up the Tata Harrier’s thread. People are expecting a Land Rover Discovery Sport based SUV to be priced on par with Hyundai Creta even when the Tata is a class bigger and comes with a bigger Diesel engine.
extreme_torque is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 15:27   #380
BHPian

Quote:

Everybody is entitled to an opinion, so no need to get offended when somebody's opinion doesn't meet yours.

It is MY opinion that a 35L Mahindra would not sell, and my reasoning is its badge.

It is MY opinion that a Ssangyong would not be as reliable (not even close) as a Toyota or a Ford.

Its MY opinion that car buying decisions should not be influenced by patriotism.

And I am free to change my opinion when more info/data is available. Till that time, my opinions stands, and I can voice them.

As long as my opinions do not affect your ability to buy your chosen car, what are you complaining about? Is this religion that one should not voice one's opinion that it offends somebody else's?

Am taking a break from this madness.

Last edited by civic-sense : 5th December 2018 at 15:28.
civic-sense is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 16:32   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Everybody is entitled to an opinion, so no need to get offended when somebody's opinion doesn't meet yours.

Am taking a break from this madness.
No offense taken, absolutely. There is no need to get so worked up!

You are absolutely spot on - everybody is entitled to an opinion.

But, you see, this is an open forum, and when you decide to voice your opinions here, wanting to be heard, you must also be ready to accept the fact that other members will analyse, comment, question and discuss your opinions. That is part of the package, unfortunately. Else most threads would probably end with the first post. If you cannot accept it, then you are probably better off keeping YOUR opinions to YOURSELF.
SCORPION is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 17:00   #382
BHPian

I think we need to re-visit some of the forum rules to cool ourselves!

Lets only discuss, not argue! It should start as a healthy discussion and also end as one .
Nalin1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 18:06   #383
BHPian

Ultimately the market is going to determine whether a car succeeds or not. Everyone can vote with their wallets.

I personally wouldn't dare spend more than 20L on a Mahindra car. Ssangyong is just another cheap nondescript Chinese brand. And it is built in China, so they should be getting it real cheap. If they could sell the XUV for less than 15L, they can as well sell the Alturas for less than 20L.

Mahindra is trying to pull off a fast one with the Alturas. If the car fails with the buyers they don't lose anything - because it is a CKD. On the other hand if they are able to attract a few gullible buyers, then they would elevate themselves up the price chain and start charging a premium for its other cars too.

Last edited by blacksport : 5th December 2018 at 18:07.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:33   #384
Senior - BHPian

Saw a brand new registered white Alturas today evening. That thing has good presence. Lets see if it at least challenges Endy !!
neoonwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 20:38   #385
Senior - BHPian

Saw this Alturas ad on youtube. For a change here is an ad that talks only about the car
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2018, 22:13   #386
Senior - BHPian

All the apprehensions and doubts expressed in the above posts would get cleared when the T Bhp official review is out.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:16   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Saw a brand new registered white Alturas today evening. That thing has good presence. Lets see if it at least challenges Endy !!
I some how feel that a fully loaded Harrier with AT Box will give a tough competition to Forturner and Endy than Alturas G4.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 12:42   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
It is exactly that, a cosmetically modified Rexton.
Are you sure about that? I'm sure you'll agree that a change from a 5 cylinder engine in the old Rexton to a 4 cylinder engine in the Alturas is a bit more than a mere cosmetic upgrade.

Again requesting all to first at least drive the vehicle.

EDIT: Unless you were comparing the current international version to the Indian version. Then my above statement doesn't apply.

Last edited by drifter : 6th December 2018 at 12:43.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:55   #389
Team-BHP Support

My colleague went for a Test Drive. He currently drives Endeavour - Trend which has done over 85K. As per him, the engine is little underpowered but was praising the gearbox which was more like Kodiaq then Ford. He and his family were impressed with the interiors which are surely comparable with a segment above say like Volvo XC60. I have suggested him to go for another longish test drive and maybe do the same stretch on Endeavour and then check. He has asked my advice if I should go with Skoda or Mahindra, obviously, Mahindra will be a safe choice over Skoda given his high usage. Let's see how it develops.

Here's the brochure.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AlturasG4-brochure.pdf (3.79 MB, 436 views)
Turbanator is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 13:26   #390
Senior - BHPian

Apparently Ssanyong has launched Rexton and a pick up based on Rexton in Australia. Currently the top end variant of the Rexton, the Ultimate is officially priced at $52,900 which I am sure can be brought down by at least 10% when you haggle with the dealer. It has got more equipment than the Indian variant too. Will see if I can test drive one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks