Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 13:02   #286
BHPian

What if the team bhp review of the car comes out to be perfect, lets say it said its better than everything in its segment which actually is the case. Will you buy the car? I am talking about the product and not about the brand and service and obviously the after sale service does matter.

•Quilted Nappa Leather

•Ventilated Front Seats

•360- 3D Aerial Camera

•8" Screen - Android Auto

•Dual Zone Climate Control

•9 Airbags

•Sunroof

•7 Speed Mercedes Gearbox

•Active Rollover Mitigation

•Better Driving Dynamics (not as good as Ford Endeavor though, but they are on "fire" lately)

I am not sure if the current gen fortuner has even a single feature from this list

Last edited by SDP : 27th November 2018 at 13:37. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
sreejinair is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:24   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
What if the team bhp review of the car comes out to be perfect, lets say it said its better than everything in its segment which actually is the case. Will you buy the car? I am talking about the product and not about the brand and service and obviously the after sale service does matter.
As a prev-gen Fortuner owner and someone who looked at 2 complete video reviews of a Mahindra car (and that's saying something) I would still not be able to put my money on it.

Is the product bad? Not at all! If one can forget everything else but the SUV itself, I think its a step above Fortuner, may be a tad below the Endeavour. This is purely the look and feel part.

I'm not sure how reliable these are but when a manufacturer offers 7 yr warranty, reliability gets addressed for sure. Not sure whether the UK spec is exactly the same that we'd get in India though.

So why not the G4 for me?

Besides every other obvious reason pointed out by several others, when Mahindra can't rectify their homegrown XUV niggles then I just don't trust them to take care of an SUV that they know not much about.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 28th November 2018 at 15:51. Reason: Endy - Endeavour. Please do not use abbreviation.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 13:40   #288
BHPian

Re: SsangYong Rexton (Y400) to be sold as Mahindra Alturas G4 in India. EDIT : Launched at 26.95 Lak

That helps me decide what I should buy, a used fortuner for now. Use it for a few years and keep an eye on this Rexton. If there arent too many complaints and the ones raised are handled by Mahindra then buy the Rexton.
Old 27th November 2018, 13:48   #289
BHPian

Quote:

•Quilted Nappa Leather
I guess if the review is great, I will certainly add it back into contention! Shows how much I value our bhp reviews!
After sales and warranty offered will be important too. Are they really offering a 7 year warranty?
Iagree with some of the others that I am not sure if the Mahindra After sales can handle the Alturas!
My plan is to look at a ln upgrade after 6-8 months anyway. It will help to get feedback from owners and for any niggles to surface before I make a decision!
I did the same with my XUV, which I bought a year after the launch. Most of the niggles were ironed out by the time I got my best and have been happy with the product barring the service trips
Old 27th November 2018, 14:01   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That helps me decide what I should buy, a used fortuner for now. Use it for a few years and keep an eye on this Rexton. If there arent too many complaints and the ones raised are handled by Mahindra then buy the Rexton.
That'd be one way to do it. I really doubt if the SUV itself has any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneAndDusted View Post
After sales and warranty offered will be important too. Are they really offering a 7 year warranty?
Sorry, should've been clearer. Ssangyong UK offers 7 year/150,000 miles warranty on each of their cars now, including G4 (known as Rexton in UK).

Source - http://www.ssangyonggb.co.uk/pages/warranty

Not sure what kind of warranty package its going to come with in India (unless this is already known to some?)
Old 27th November 2018, 15:56   #291
Team-BHP Support

2 things which I want to know, this being a SUV.

# Approach angle, in comparison to other SUV's.

And

# Break over angle, it has no side steps as well, so any hit while off roading will have to be borne by the running board. Not cool IMO.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 15:59   #292
Senior - BHPian

I feel Mahindra has priced it correctly. This isn't a volume segment and neither are margins per vehicle so high ( I guess it's mostly imported ) that they can just undercut the Fortuner and Endeavour by 6-7 lakhs. Also, the Indian car buying public largely follows a herd mentality. So no point undercutting by such a large margin and still sell very few cars. Rather they keep this price point and offer some dealer level offers down the line coupled with good brand building exercise + differentiated service. Once they do this well, the next XUV will probably reap the benefits because they would be able to price it above current levels after having redefined the psychological price point for the brand.

Last edited by narayan : 27th November 2018 at 16:00.
narayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 18:30   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I feel Mahindra has priced it correctly.
Rather they keep this price point and offer some dealer level offers down the line coupled with good brand building exercise + differentiated service.
Once they do this well, the next XUV will probably reap the benefits because they would be able to price it above current levels after having redefined the psychological price point for the brand.
the biggest beneficiary will be the XUV. The psychological brand value , price point, technological prowess that Mahindra gains from the Alturas , will be used to upgrade the XUV. Just like Tata is imparting to the Harrier what it has gained from Land Rover.

Last edited by JS Kwt : 27th November 2018 at 18:50.
Old 27th November 2018, 19:36   #294
Senior - BHPian

What's with the third row? Looks like Mahindra thought "Fortuner has a third row, so let us also have it, otherwise people will think we're inferior". From the videos, under-thigh support and knees up posture make it look like a pet-seat rather than a seat for (even) kids.
Old 27th November 2018, 20:13   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
What's with the third row? Looks like Mahindra thought "Fortuner has a third row, so let us also have it, otherwise people will think we're inferior". From the videos, under-thigh support and knees up posture make it look like a pet-seat rather than a seat for (even) kids.
Its a vehicle made by a company named Ssangyong, they decided to launch it in India 'again' and this time under the Mahindra badge. So I dont understand when you say (Mahindra thought...)

Did you mean they should have launched the 5 seater version of Rexton thats sold in Europe?

Last edited by sreejinair : 27th November 2018 at 20:14.
Old 27th November 2018, 21:57   #296
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Its a vehicle made by a company named Ssangyong, they decided to launch it in India 'again' and this time under the Mahindra badge. So I dont understand when you say (Mahindra thought...)
I guess you mean Mahindra decided to launch under their own name and not ro use Sangyong name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
I feel Mahindra has priced it correctly. This isn't a volume segment and neither are margins per vehicle so high ( I guess it's mostly imported ).
The Margins in this segment are the highest in fact. Toyota is the most profitable automobile company in India and this is due to just Innova and Fortuner being highly overpriced relative to their cost, this excludes the profits of the parent outside India.

If Mahindra looses out on numbers due to price being too high this is the last chance for Rexton in India. They better make it work.

Last edited by SDP : 27th November 2018 at 22:41. Reason: Rephrasing the first line a bit for better understanding
ACM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 22:39   #297
Senior - BHPian

I see many BHPians are questioning Mahindra after sale service, which is obviously doubtful, but in many cases dealers are responsible for bad service experience, something Mahindra should work seriously to fix.

I bought TUV3OO after couple of months of launch. It had niggles and after some follow ups all the issues were resolved. I must say service is improving. They have replaced my rear differential with MLD (mechanical locking differential) under warranty after 1.5 years from purchase date due to wheel spin issue. Replaced both the front seat belts twice under warranty, first time after 1.5 years from purchase date and second time almost after 3 years from purchase date, as I complained belts were not retracting properly. On two occasions they did minor repairs at home as they did not want me to waste time by visiting service centre. I know about a TUV3OO owner whose entire vehicle body was replaced under warranty due to rusting.

Last edited by airbus : 27th November 2018 at 22:51. Reason: Minor correction.
airbus is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 23:02   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by airbus View Post
It had niggles and after some follow ups all the issues were resolved. I must say service is improving.
Warranty and service is one thing. Quality is another. While company might be giving longer warranty, a customer spending 30+ lakhs on a new car won't like to visit the service center for small/big issues in the vehicle even if the company keeps fixing them without question. Similarly, if the service center takes multiple attempts to debug the issue, the customer won't be happy even if the issue is resolved in the end.

I am not saying the new Rexton will be unreliable (like its predecessor). Only time will tell that.

Last edited by ashis89 : 27th November 2018 at 23:15.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2018, 23:55   #299
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Margins in this segment are the highest in fact. Toyota is the most profitable automobile company in India and this is due to just Innova and Fortuner being highly overpriced relative to their cost, this excludes the profits of the parent outside India.

If Mahindra looses out on numbers due to price being too high this is the last chance for Rexton in India. They better make it work.
These are global best sellers for Toyota (economies of scale) and they are heavily localised and hence the better margins. Neither is the case for the Mahindra. Hence my point that Mahindra just can't compete on price.
Old 28th November 2018, 08:16   #300
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: A lot of other websites are clearly running paid advertorials / sponsored content for the Alturas G4. Please refrain from linking to those articles as they are grossly misleading.
GTO is offline   (19) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks