Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2019, 07:49   #316
Senior - BHPian

Re: 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
To rapid owners, how is the long term reliability of rapid diesel?

I am looking forward to buy a diesel MT. My usage is a bit high, 120 km a day. I might use it for 4 years or 1 lakh km minimum before selling it away. My 4 year old ciaz has been fuss free for 95000 km now.

I hear fuel line issues and injector issues reported often with VAG sedans. How widespread are they? Or can I trust Skoda with long term reliability, I just want a fill it, shut it, drive it car with routine maintenance.

Btw how easy/hard is it to maintain the carbon steel shade? I had a hard time keeping my dignity brown shade in ciaz from scratches.
As you are already very sure of the usage and longevity of owning the car, buy the Ambition Diesel MT with 4 years service pack. They have a scheme for 6 years warranty as well. They even have a pack for wear and tear cover, a year ago it costed 65k. With the current schemes, discounts and service packs I feel Rapid/Vento are much better than other competing sedans in the market.

I own a Carbon Steel Vento and trust me they are reliable cars if maintained as per the given routine. The service guys try to be smart to increase their revenue but since you will be getting the service package, I don't see much of a drama.

The colour looks really good on VAG sedans but it is indeed a pain to maintain it if you are very meticulous about it. Small scratches are evident and swirl marks too are more visible than any other colour. However, if you smartly maintain it then it shall look like new even post 3-4 years of city usage.

A detailing session once a year, good professional washing once in couple of weeks, no society watchman washing and instead using a Jopasu Duster and 3M cloth for cleaning has helped me keep it shining and new in the last 2 years.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:02   #317
BHPian

Just noticed this on the side underbody of the car at the rear right side. Is this normal? What pipe/wire is jotting out? 2016 Skoda Rapid Facelift : A Close Look-img_20190922_135831.jpg
Old 22nd September 2019, 14:22   #318
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan83 View Post
Just noticed this on the side underbody of the car at the rear right side. Is this normal? What pipe/wire is jotting out? Attachment 1917256
That's completely normal. It's the handbrake cable jutting out. Not concealed neatly on the Vento and Rapid.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 16:13   #319
BHPian

Hello ! I have recently picked up a MY 2019 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG. This is the second VAG car in my garage with a Polo TDI MT already doing duty. I have a few questions for BHPians who already own the Rapid TDI DSG.

1. Is the 1.5 TDI motor a tad noisier than the other diesels in the segment ? I ask because the 1.2 TDI doing duty on the Polo and my neighbor's Verna is not as noisy as this. (Despite the Polo's 1.2 being a 3 pot engine)
2. The car makes a slight hissing sound when moving from D3 to D4 & D4 to D5 is that normal ?
3. Is it alright to slot to N during long signals and stops or am I doing more damage by constantly changing ?
4. Did anyone take the service package offered by Skoda ? If yes then how did you pay for it ? I was told they'll mail me a link to pay but 2 weeks into the purchase I'm yet to receive any word on it.

Last edited by kraken : 2nd October 2019 at 16:18. Reason: Formatting
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 17:57   #320
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraken View Post
Hello ! I have recently picked up a MY 2019 Skoda Rapid TDI DSG. This is the second VAG car in my garage with a Polo TDI MT already doing duty. I have a few questions for BHPians who already own the Rapid TDI DSG.

1. Is the 1.5 TDI motor a tad noisier than the other diesels in the segment ? I ask because the 1.2 TDI doing duty on the Polo and my neighbor's Verna is not as noisy as this. (Despite the Polo's 1.2 being a 3 pot engine)
2. The car makes a slight hissing sound when moving from D3 to D4 & D4 to D5 is that normal ?
3. Is it alright to slot to N during long signals and stops or am I doing more damage by constantly changing ?
4. Did anyone take the service package offered by Skoda ? If yes then how did you pay for it ? I was told they'll mail me a link to pay but 2 weeks into the purchase I'm yet to receive any word on it.
I can help with the query on the noisier part. Yes, the 1.5 is noisy and sounds like a mini tractor. Somehow I just love that sound. VAG has the TDI technology whereas the Hyundais have the CRDI technology which is quieter.

Guess who pioneered CRDI!!! FIAT...

Regards
Bharath
Old 2nd October 2019, 18:22   #321
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath79 View Post
I can help with the query on the noisier part. Yes, the 1.5 is noisy and sounds like a mini tractor. Somehow I just love that sound. VAG has the TDI technology whereas the Hyundais have the CRDI technology which is quieter.

Guess who pioneered CRDI!!! FIAT...

Regards
Bharath
In lay man language can you point out the difference in technologies of TDI and CRDI?
VWAllstar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:09   #322
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
In lay man language can you point out the difference in technologies of TDI and CRDI?
There is no difference between the two. They are both common rail diesels. However, Hyundai have been able to substantially reduce NVH in their cars.
AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 19:54   #323
BHPian

Quote:

Hi!
1) Yes, the 1.5 TDI is definitely nosier than the 1.6 CRDi from Hyundai and the likes. Our 1.6 TDI Rapid made an even louder racket.

2) Should be the turbo’s sound, even my Verna makes a similar sound post 1500 RPM.

3) Yes! It’s a great thing to do as it prevents the gearbox from overheating. Anything more than 15 seconds should be enough for a switch to N.

4) Visit the showroom once again, AFAIK it needs to be purchased from them only.

Congratulations on your beauty! Do post a few pictures for us to feast on.
CarLoverJosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 21:28   #324
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
There is no difference between the two. They are both common rail diesels. However, Hyundai have been able to substantially reduce NVH in their cars.
@VWAllStar:

I am not a practicing engineer and never was!!! All my information is based on reading up. So here it is:

TDI: Diesel Engine with a Turbo Charger. (definition specific to VAG).

CRDI: Diesel Engine with a Turbo Charger and Common Rail Injection technology. (This is not specific to Hyundai and a very generic definition. Maybe more applicable to Multi Jet Fiat Engines.)

Now I am not able to elaborate on CRDI but it does have an quieter impact on the NVH.

Regards
Bharath

Last edited by bharath79 : 2nd October 2019 at 21:51.
bharath79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2019, 22:48   #325
anb
BHPian

Quote:
@VWAllStar:

I

TDI: Diesel Engine with a Turbo Charger. (definition specific to VAG).

CRDI: Diesel Engine with a Turbo Charger and Common Rail Injection technology. (This is not specific to Hyundai and a very generic definition. Maybe more applicable to Multi Jet Fiat Engines.)

Regards
Bharath
Both are CRDI engines. It's just that different companies use different names. TDI , CRDI, CRDE, DDIS etc. All are same.
anb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2019, 10:02   #326
BHPian

Quote:
I can help with the query on the noisier part. Yes, the 1.5 is noisy and sounds like a mini tractor. Somehow I just love that sound.
Thanks a lot ! Makes me a little at ease to know that it is that noisy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarLoverJosh View Post
Hi!
1) Yes, the 1.5 TDI is definitely nosier than the 1.6 CRDi from Hyundai and the likes. Our 1.6 TDI Rapid made an even louder racket.

2) Should be the turbo’s sound, even my Verna makes a similar sound post 1500 RPM.

3) Yes! It’s a great thing to do as it prevents the gearbox from overheating. Anything more than 15 seconds should be enough for a switch to N.

4) Visit the showroom once again, AFAIK it needs to be purchased from them only.

Congratulations on your beauty! Do post a few pictures for us to feast on.
Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. Regarding no. 2 , it should be the turbo, but the other turbo cars in my garage make a slightly different noise. Might as well follow up with my SA on this. Sure I'll post some pictures in a few days. And thanks again
kraken is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 01:14   #327
BHPian

Quote:

I believe I'm eligible to answer all your queries since I own a Rapid TDi DSG and I was in same boat as yours when it came to concerns regarding NVH. Answering your questions-

1. The 1.5 TDi mill is noisier when compared to others and more so in the DSG avatar since in D mode the gearbox just hesitates to downshift and tries to keep the engine on lower rpm resulting in high diesel clatter however when you shift to S, noise changes drastically. I had my own apprehensions regarding my car's noise when I test drove a Hyundai Venue diesel, it was that silent. So to clear the air, I immediately went to my service centre and I have to say that Raipur Skoda team are really courteous when it comes to customer satisfaction as they immediately arranged a test drive for me on 3 different cars (2DSGs and one MT) and now my nerves are back to normal. So yes the TDI motor is on the noisier side.

2. I have not observed any hissing sound as of now and odo stands at 19k in 7 month of my ownership. So I would suggest you to get it rectified.

3. Slotting to N at stationary position is actually a very good practice. I always prefer to keep her in N in the usual stop go situation if there's a halt of anything more than 10 seconds.

4. I took the Skoda service package and it was probably the best decision for a fuss free ownership. They did sent me a link to pay the fee but it was generated after the Registration process was finalized.

Wish you a very happy and fuss free ownership with your car.

P.S.- I have to admit that Skoda has come a long way in after sales service since I find my Skoda A.S.S. far better and satisfying then my M.A.S.S. here in Raipur.
sachin_cs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2019, 13:46   #328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
I believe I'm eligible to answer all your queries since I own a Rapid TDi DSG and I was in same boat as yours when it came to concerns regarding NVH. Answering your questions-

1. The 1.5 TDi mill is noisier when compared to others and more so in the DSG avatar since in D mode the gearbox just hesitates to downshift and tries to keep the engine on lower rpm resulting in high diesel clatter however when you shift to S, noise changes drastically. I had my own apprehensions regarding my car's noise when I test drove a Hyundai Venue diesel, it was that silent. So to clear the air, I immediately went to my service centre and I have to say that Raipur Skoda team are really courteous when it comes to customer satisfaction as they immediately arranged a test drive for me on 3 different cars (2DSGs and one MT) and now my nerves are back to normal. So yes the TDI motor is on the noisier side.

2. I have not observed any hissing sound as of now and odo stands at 19k in 7 month of my ownership. So I would suggest you to get it rectified.

3. Slotting to N at stationary position is actually a very good practice. I always prefer to keep her in N in the usual stop go situation if there's a halt of anything more than 10 seconds.

4. I took the Skoda service package and it was probably the best decision for a fuss free ownership. They did sent me a link to pay the fee but it was generated after the Registration process was finalized.

Wish you a very happy and fuss free ownership with your car.

P.S.- I have to admit that Skoda has come a long way in after sales service since I find my Skoda A.S.S. far better and satisfying then my M.A.S.S. here in Raipur.
Thanks a ton for the detailed answer to my question. I'm in fact so happy that someone was actually having the same concern regarding the NVH. I plan on visiting the A.S.S shortly for the hissing sound. Better to get the doubt out of my system than worry about it. Your answers definitely have given me some peace regarding the ownership of the Rapid TDI DSG. And actually I agree how much Skoda's sales experience has changed. 4 years ago when my dad wanted to test drive the Octavia TSI, things were very unpleasant. In fact he warned me against going for a Skoda, but on learning that it was a different dealership and that the other one had shut shop a few years ago made him at ease. The fact that the SA is a good friend of mine who actually joined Malayalam Skoda a few months before is comforting. Still I was apprehensive about the whole thing which made me post the question. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease !

Last edited by kraken : 8th October 2019 at 13:49. Reason: Grammar
kraken is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 14:57   #329
BHPian

Hello All

I recently booked a Skoda Rapid MT Ambition Diesel; delivery expected by next week. Though I have gone thru the user experience and the current thread numerous times, I just had 2 questions.

1. Would you suggest I take the additional Skoda shield i.e. that costs around 30k. I checked with a couple of users personally, and in the last 2 years they have barely spent 7-8k per year (normal running). They did not take this additional package.
On another note someone advised that it is definitely important for the DSG gearboxes, and not going for it in MTs is fine.

2. The tyres for the ambition are the 185/60 R15. They would be either Apollo, MRF or Goodyear. Neither of them convince me. Can anyone suggest what tyres would be the best fit and/or rather should I upgrade to the 195/55 R16, and if Yes, which brand should I go for.

On another note, is there anything else I should be looking at.

Eagerly waiting for your reply.

Thanks again
Rish
rish27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2019, 15:50   #330
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rish27 View Post
Hello All

I recently booked a Skoda Rapid MT Ambition Diesel; delivery expected by next week.

Can anyone suggest what tyres would be the best fit and/or rather should I upgrade to the 195/55 R16, and if Yes, which brand should I go for.
Congrats Rish on your pick, and wish you a very happy & fuss free motoring.

I am not sure if the Ambition is equipped with an Alloy or not. Assuming it it is, here are my suggestions:
  1. If you are planning to stick to 15" wheels, go with 205/55/R15. I had used Yokohoma S Drive in this exact combination on my previous GT and man was it just PURrrr...FECT!!
  2. If you are inclined to upgrade to 16", you have to change the entire set (rim + tire). You can either choose 195/55/R16 or 205/50/R16 if you do. I think Michelin and Yokos are available in this size which are a bit on the higher cost. You may also look at other offerings from Kenda (Komet) or Nanakang.
  3. The ones I have suggested are softer and performance rubbers. If you are not too keen, you may even consider Bridgestone or Apollo Alnac. Although, I am not sure as to what are the available sizes in these.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 24th October 2019 at 15:54.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks