Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2016, 16:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Made-in-India Mercedes-Benz GLC launched at Rs. 47.90 lakh

Mercedes-Benz had launched the GLC-Class in India as a CBU model in June this year. Now, the company has introduced a locally assembled version of the SUV, at prices starting from Rs. 47.90 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi). It has been launched in three variants - GLC 220d 4MATIC Style, GLC 220d 4MATIC Sport, and GLC 300 4MATIC Sport.

The GLC is built on Mercedes' MRA platform, and is a successor of the GLK-Class. It borrows various design cues from the C-Class sedan. The front grille has horizontal slats and a large three-pointed star logo in the centre. LED headlights with DRLs flank either side of the grille. Inspiration from the C-Class continues inside the car as well, as the GLC gets similar steering wheel, dashboard layout, and command infotainment system.

Certain features found on the CBU model have been discontinued. These include electric tailgate, memory seats, and three-zone climate control. Instead, the Made-in-India GLC gets a dual-zone climate control system. Moreover, the navigation system that was standard on the CBU model is now being offered as an option.

The Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class comes in both - diesel and petrol versions. The GLC 220d gets a 2.1-litre, 4-cylinder diesel engine that generates 168 BHP and 400 Nm of torque. The GLC 300 is powered by a 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder petrol engine that develops 241 BHP and a peak torque of 370 Nm. Both these engines are mated to a 9-Speed automatic gearbox. The car also gets Mercedes' Dynamic Select controller that offers 5 driving modes - Comfort, Eco, Sport, Sport + and Individual.

The GLC-Class is assembled at the Mercedes-Benz production facility in Chakan, near Pune. It has become the ninth Mercedes model to be assembled in the country.

Variant wise prices of the locally assembled GLC SUV:
• GLC 220d 4Matic Style - Rs 47.90 lakh
• GLC 220d 4Matic Sport - Rs 51.50 lakh
• GLC 300 4Matic Sport - Rs 51.90 lakh

Made-in-India Mercedes-Benz GLC launched at Rs. 47.90 lakh-unnamed.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by dZired : 29th September 2016 at 16:34.
dZired is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 16:57   #2
BHPian

Re: Made-in-India Mercedes-Benz GLC launched at Rs. 47.90 lakh

Wasnt the 300d launched at 50.9 L in June? If so how is it 51.9 L now ? Anyone have an idea of the last known price of the same? Or are we being taken for ride to pay the same/more with lesser features and localisation?
kartavya is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 17:15   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Wasnt the 300d launched at 50.9 L in June? If so how is it 51.9 L now ? Anyone have an idea of the last known price of the same? Or are we being taken for ride to pay the same/more with lesser features and localisation?
HAHA astute observations there Kartavya. This is a joke.
The prices are raised as comparison to the older prices. The diesel top model now is more than the only diesel model back then upon initial launch as a CBU. The top diesel is at 51.50 now and the bottom one is at 47.90. The older, CBU diesel was for 50.70.
Whereas the petrol has gone up by 100,000. What a bloody disgrace. Lesser features at more price. I do wish they provide us an explanation here.
How does this make sense? Isn't CBU more costly? Or has everything I've been led to believe till date been untrue? Is it just me or is everyone else baffled by this too? Or are my facts wrong?
Look at the stupid smirks on these guys faces.

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/merced...d-rs-5070-lakh

Last edited by mijnoirhammer67 : 29th September 2016 at 17:21.
mijnoirhammer67 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 17:20   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kartavya View Post
Yes the earlier price for petrol was 50.9 Lakh in June.
http://auto.ndtv.com/news/2016-merce...7-lakh-1273055

NDTV auto has reported same. The earlier reported price was ex. showroom Pune and the prices announced today are ex showroom Delhi.

http://auto.ndtv.com/news/mercedes-b...9-lakh-1467894
amitahirrao is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Merc has done it again! Not passed on any of the CKD pricing benefits to the customer and instead skinned the car off some vital features. Their fav one being removing memory seats!

This seems to imply that there is a sense of high headedness coming back into MBIL. That very high headedness ruined them in the mid 2000s when BMW came in and swept their market share. Keep your head on your shoulder MBIL or you will get schooled very soon.
Sahil is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 29th September 2016, 18:46   #6
Senior - BHPian

I don't think there's a lot that can be done about the price. The engine isn't locally made and SUVs are generally priced about 10 lakh higher than their equivalent sedans.

I am more interested as to what they plan to do with the 300 petrol, it could find its way to the C class and E class(new one) further down the line. It'll be a good upgrade from the unremarkable 200 series motor.
Old 30th September 2016, 09:26   #7
Team-BHP Support

Now that's insulting, to see the prices higher now as a CKD as compared to when it was launched as a CBU a few months ago. Electric tailgate is fine, but why in gods name have they removed memory seats? I'm sure there will be other small features removed too!

Even though being a CKD will mean the road on prices will reduce for individual buyers, I'm not understanding this pricing strategy.

As Sahil said, Mercedes needs to keep its head in the game.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 10:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

What I gather from the previous Mercedes GLC CBU thread is that the car was actually 56-57 Lacs Ex-Showroom and not the initially advertised price. So doesn't this make the 47.90 L almost 10 L cheaper. Unless this pricing is also a marketing gimmick.
Old 30th September 2016, 19:40   #9
Senior - BHPian

I don't understand why people are fussing about the pricing which is variant for variant Rs. 4 lakh to Rs. 4.20 lakh cheaper than the CBU version with 4 features missing. For all those blindly wondering why the prices have gone up, do note 50.xx lakh launch price was ex-Pune and the ex-Delhi pricing was 55.xx lakh then.

Last edited by S2!!! : 30th September 2016 at 19:42.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2016, 19:42   #10
BHPian

Why doesnt Mercedes publish their prices on their website like BMW does. It would make the car maker appear a lot more transparent. Using different prices across the country despite only 2 VAT rates (12.5% or 14.5%), stating some rubbish reasons for varied pricing is a joke. I am unable to trust Mercedes these days! They seem to use too much deceit when it comes to their press releases.

Absolute shame!
316kmph is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks