Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 15:34   #76
BHPian

Re: 2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs

I was going through the e-brochure which was mailed to me by the Volkswagen dealer and was surprised to find a glaring error.

If one checks the 'Features' section of the e-brochure, it becomes clear that Volkswagen haven't completed it. There is no tick/dot/mark to indicate which feature is applicable for which variant. I checked the e-brochure on Volkswagen's website and found the same error.

Wonder how did they miss something so obvious.

Attaching a couple of screenshots taken while viewing the same file on my phone.

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-img_6248.png
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-img_6249.png

Mods, please delete if irrelevant or off topic. Thank you!
fordfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 15:52   #77
BHPian

Maybe they tick the boxes after you buy the car. And charge you for it.

"Saar.. there's a roof glass.. that's called panoramic sunroof.." :ticks the box:
Old 12th October 2017, 16:02   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
I was going through the e-brochure which was mailed to me by the Volkswagen dealer and was surprised to find a glaring error.

If one checks the 'Features' section of the e-brochure, it becomes clear that Volkswagen haven't completed it. There is no tick/dot/mark to indicate which feature is applicable for which variant. I checked the e-brochure on Volkswagen's website and found the same error.
You have to download the brochure save it locally and then open it directly using Adobe Acrobat. I had the same issue originally while viewing on the browser. Or, try a different browser. I was eventually able to see all the ticks and crosses.
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:15   #79
Senior - BHPian

Here are the screenshots of VW Passat Feature List

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-screenshot-102.png

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-screenshot-103.png

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-screenshot-104.png

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-screenshot-105.png

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-screenshot-106.png
CarguyNish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2017, 16:29   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
You have to download the brochure save it locally and then open it directly using Adobe Acrobat. I had the same issue originally while viewing on the browser. Or, try a different browser. I was eventually able to see all the ticks and crosses.
Ahh! Thank you!! Got it working properly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Thank you!!
Old 12th October 2017, 19:07   #81
BHPian

So now that the Passat finally arrives it's an interesting choice in this segment, with the nearest other alternatives (in the price/engine power output segment) being the:
1. Octavia vRS (not including the regular Octavia due to the lesser power output and the price segment)
2. 320d (pricing during discount season could be compelling)
3. C-class (not sure about level of discounts offered)
4. Skoda Superb L&K - Diesel
5. Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI
6. Not including the Camry here as someone who wants to buy a German won't consider the Japs. Period.
7. Not considering the Audi A4 because come on - who'd want to buy it with the 150 BHP diesel at that price!?
8. Jaguar XE/XF? Well, maybe but quite overpriced for what they offer.

vRS stands out as the most VFM, but it's a Skoda. Which makes the 320d quite attractive if one gets a killer deal.
Quite thought provoking, the above list. But overall, considering the Passat Highline has an adaptive suspension, it's clearly a big USP in this segment. And the both the Highline & Comfortline are quite well priced, I must say.

I'll be up for a upgrade in 2019 when my GT TSI completes 4 years. And it's good to have choices.

Last edited by AbhisheKulkarni : 12th October 2017 at 19:12.
Old 12th October 2017, 19:39   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
So now that the Passat finally arrives it's an interesting choice in this segment, with the nearest other alternatives (in the price/engine power output segment) being the:
1. Octavia vRS (not including the regular Octavia due to the lesser power output and the price segment)
2. 320d (pricing during discount season could be compelling)
3. C-class (not sure about level of discounts offered)
4. Skoda Superb L&K - Diesel
5. Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI
6. Not including the Camry here as someone who wants to buy a German won't consider the Japs. Period.
7. Not considering the Audi A4 because come on - who'd want to buy it with the 150 BHP diesel at that price!?

vRS stands out as the most VFM, but it's a Skoda. Which makes the 320d quite attractive if one gets a killer deal.
Quite thought provoking, the above list. But overall, considering the Passat Highline has an adaptive suspension, it's clearly a big USP in this segment. And the both the Highline & Comfortline are quite well priced, I must say.

I'll be up for a upgrade in 2019 when my GT TSI completes 4 years. And it's good to have choices.
Boss, you're heavily under-quoting the A4's figure, it's a more than all these here 190bhp in diesel.
It's the petrol that's 150bhp.
Please check on the specification sheet once before posting.
Old 13th October 2017, 09:36   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post

Jaguar is offering some yummy festive pricing. 33.xx Lacs for the base XE and 43.xx for the base XF. This puts the XE in almost the same price bracket as the passat, albeit for a slightly stripped down variant in terms of features. However the brand value and prestige of the Jag is several notches higher than the passat. You will find hotel attendants parking it on the front porch due to its handsome looks and relative rarity. No such chance on the passat, it looks like a slightly larger Vento. Will be relegated to the back of the underground parking for sure!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 09:48   #84
BHPian

Quote:
No such chance on the passat, it looks like a slightly larger Vento. Will be relegated to the back of the underground parking for sure!
That's precisely the appeal of the Passat. It doesn't scream for attention like proper Germans of yore.
petroguzzler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 12:13   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Exactly! Most of the buyers are going to be torn between the Superb & the Passat, when they are upgrading from their Lauras/Corollas/Jettas/etc.
And even in that segment you have those who are driven (Superb), and those who enjoy driving (Passat). Especially with the Camry and Accord being priced way out of range!

Someone had suggested why not get one of the Germans instead - but the Germans are a whole lot more expensive too at the end of the day, don't offer close to as much comfort and features.
I think another thing that sort of makes things tilt in favour of the Superb/Passat is the fact that the spares and labour costs are relatively cheaper than say Mercedes or BMW. Audi, Jaguar and Volvo aren't exactly cheap either.

So again, the Passat thus make things interesting in this segment. At the very least it offers a choice.
Not everyone's cup of tea but VW in India has never been that if you were to exclude the mild success the Polo had when it was launched.

Disclaimer- Having owned and thoroughly enjoyed the first gen Jetta launched here, I maybe biased towards VW though.
Old 13th October 2017, 15:23   #86
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post
I think another thing that sort of makes things tilt in favour of the Superb/Passat is the fact that the spares and labour costs are relatively cheaper than say Mercedes or BMW. Audi, Jaguar and Volvo aren't exactly cheap either.
Honestly - it's the car that people would buy before they upgrade to an E Class/5 Series/Lexus.
A family car so to speak - german traits, with roominess - missing in the lower end Germans/Brits (XE, 3, C, A4, etc.)

I have fallen in love with each VW I've driven (even over the cheaper Skoda sibling), so I share your sentiments. The smaller details are better taken care of by VW:
Eg: Vento interiors IMO are classier than the Rapid's interiors; Jetta (more comfortable rear seat and pliant ride) v/s Laura; Passat (nicer interiors, a little more involving to drive) than the Superb.

Quote:
Jaguar is offering some yummy festive pricing. 33.xx Lacs for the base XE and 43.xx for the base XF. This puts the XE in almost the same price bracket as the passat, albeit for a slightly stripped down variant in terms of features. However the brand value and prestige of the Jag is several notches higher than the passat.
This is true, but the XE is one tiny car in comparison to this.
It's all about practicality v/s badge at this point. Each is going to have a set of buyers. In Mumbai I am seeing a fair share of new Tiguan's - even though the X1 base line is almost the same price.
Heck, the X1 may just sell more units per month, but there are still a decent amount buyers for the 'overpriced' Tiguan just for the practicality it offers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Thanks for posting this - looks like chauffeur driven owners would prefer the Comfortline (with smaller rims, basic MID, simple suspension, regular leather, no voice control), and those who will drive a fair bit would spring for the Highline (17" rims, Premium MID, ADC, Nappa Leather, and a few more chrome bits and tech features).

Last edited by lamborghini : 13th October 2017 at 15:26.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 19:33   #87
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
This is true, but the XE is one tiny car in comparison to this.
Not quite.
  • Passat is 4767mm long whereas the XE is 4795 mm long
  • Passat is 1832 mm wide, whereas the XE is around the same at 2075 including mirrors
  • Passat is 1456 mm tall, while the XE is 1416 mm.
So Jag XE is the longer car although it is slightly shorter underscoring the sporty stance.

The wheelbase of Passat is 2786 mm while the XE has a 2835 mm wheelbase.

XE gives you sporty rear wheel drive and the base model is equipped decently with 17 inch alloys, leather steering wheel, cruise control, DRLs, 10 way electric front sets, 8 inch touchscreen infotainment, more powerful Diesel engine with high 430 NM torque, 8 speed auto transmission, multi-drive modes including snow mode, two zone auto ACC, 6 airbags, electric parking brake, paddle shifters, electric sunblind all for arounf a lakh more than the Passat Highline.
84.monsoon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2017, 13:30   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Not quite.
  • Passat is 4767mm long whereas the XE is 4795 mm long
  • Passat is 1832 mm wide, whereas the XE is around the same at 2075 including mirrors
  • Passat is 1456 mm tall, while the XE is 1416 mm.
So Jag XE is the longer car although it is slightly shorter underscoring the sporty stance.

The wheelbase of Passat is 2786 mm while the XE has a 2835 mm wheelbase.
Numbers are great, but also deceiving - I meant it in the sense of pure passenger space and comfort.
There's no denying that the XE would be a better driver's car - you lose out on features and the service is as bad (give or take), but as an overall vehicle the Passat is simply more practical!
My point being - I'd buy the Passat for my wife, and the XE for myself.

Should have been clearer in my post! Apologies!
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2017, 09:36   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

VW Passat media drive - Jaipur!

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-0.jpg
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-1.jpg
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-2.jpg
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-3.jpg
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-4.jpg

Bottom line is LED strip for DRLs
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-7.jpg

Typical VW tail lamp design
2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-6.jpg

Source:OverDrive

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th November 2017 at 09:45.
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th November 2017, 17:19   #90
BHPian

Here is the autocar India first drive review of the VW Passat.

Feature List

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-passatfeatures.jpg

+ Loaded with kit, Dynamic Chassis Control which alters the suspension, good space, quality and understated elegance

- Refinement, No flare and noisy suspension

Mod Note: Our Volkswagen Passat Review has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Last edited by Aditya : 24th January 2018 at 16:34.
PraNeel is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks