Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2017, 12:51   #46
BHPian

re: 2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs

IMO, Passat should be priced less than then Tiguan. Remember - Tiguan is the SUV version of the Passat and comes with AWD and Panaromic sunroof. Having said that, Passat's engine is at a higher state of tune than Tiguan and it comes with some goodies like 360 degree camera (Tiguan has only rear camera and front parking sensors). So, overall the pricing would be closer to Tiguan, not higher than that.

Ex-showroom prices:
Tiguan top variant in Bangalore = 29.83L.
Jetta top variant in Bangalore = 20.89L (though it is discontinued now).

Passat should be priced between them.
Old 6th October 2017, 13:48   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I keep reading comments around these cars (especially the VW group ones) as to why can't then someone go and buy a luxury brand at a few lakhs more.

From what I've understood so far, here are some questions that we could answer that helps potential buyers...
+1 to that. As a potential Tiguan buyer I have similar thoughts about such comparisons.

For insurance, since that'd be IDV (and thus, ex-showroom price) linked, I don't think brand will have any effect on the premium (outside the difference in vehicle price itself, that is).

As for ownership/maintenance/part costs, current owners of VW vehicles (Vento, Polo) I know haven't reported outrageous maintenance costs vis-a-vis their Korean/Japanese counterparts, but I'm not sure if the same would apply to higher segment vehicles as well.

For resale, I feel that while any high cost vehicle would depreciate sharply, vehicles from the big 3 Germans will have more buyers, and thus the seller will have a wider selling-price range to play with. Owing to higher aspiration value attached to the big 3 Germans, I guess it is reasonable to expect a better resale value for them compared to a similarly priced vehicle from VW/Skoda/others. (Slightly, assuming reasonable ownership costs for 'lowly' brands).

Perhaps more informed + experienced BHPian's can opine on this...
Old 6th October 2017, 14:20   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
I keep reading comments around these cars (especially the VW group ones) as to why can't then someone go and buy a luxury brand at a few lakhs more.

From what I've understood so far, here are some questions that we could answer that helps potential buyers

1. Isn't insurance cheaper for a VW brand car than a luxury brand of the same class?
2. How's general service costs? Would that be at par or do we see a huge difference in terms of cost of pure servicing? (Not talking repairs here)
3. I've heard that luxury brand car parts (even the silly ones) sometimes cost a bomb. I'd not assume that it ISN'T the case with a VW - they do have their fair share of crazy pricing. But overall, what you do you folks think?
4. From a long term ownership perspective, would an equivalently priced Passat vs. Merc depreciate about the same?
1) Insurance is based on the cars IDV IIRC

2) General service costs vary by brand. Some BMWs are as cheap to service as my humble Laura (2-3K here or there but it's a once a year expense), but Mercedes on the other hand is significantly more expensive.

3) Even Skoda/VW/Audi parts cost a bomb relatively speaking, but yes it's again brand dependant. Mercedes is again on the higher side compared to BMW. VW and Skoda will be relatively cheaper than BMW too. Look at the ACI Spare Parts pricing catalogue and judge for yourself if the difference is worth it.

4) No, the Passat would ideally depreciate more: Poorer sales, VW Service, etc. A good bet is to compare the previous gen Passat to the previous gen 320D & A4 (the C Class net net was a whole lot more expensive, but the A4 & 3 series had good discounts on them to make their base variants in line with the Passat).
lamborghini is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2017, 15:20   #49
BHPian

Lets not forget one very important factor. The pricing of the C class, A4 and the 3 series prior to discounts is now well over 50L on road Mumbai. The Passat costs so much more.

Do I like it? Yes.
Will I buy it ? No.

I'll go for the Superb if I have to.

What did I actually go for? C 200.
Old 7th October 2017, 09:44   #50
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
IMO, Passat should be priced less than then Tiguan. Remember - Tiguan is the SUV version of the Passat and comes with AWD and Panaromic sunroof.
I don't believe the Tiguan is the SUV version of the Passat.

Tiguan is the SUV version of the Golf/Jetta. Tiguan's wheelbase is 2677mm while passat's wheelbase is 2700+ mm.

Both are base don the MQB platform however, the specific mechanical underpinnings are different.
84.monsoon is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 13:27   #51
Senior - BHPian

2017 VW Passat launched in India with a introductory price tag of Rs. 29.99 lakh for Comfortline and Rs. 32.99 lakh for Highline (ex-showroom prices). This will be locally assembled and is based on the company's new Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform. Passat comes with a 2.0L TDI, 177PS (174 bhp) diesel engine mated to a 6-speed DSG automatic gearbox.

Some salient features of the car include :

1. 17 inch alloy wheels.
2. 12.3-inch touchscreen infotainment system
3. Premium leather(Nappa) upholstery
4. Two-zone climate control
5. Driving modes
6. Smartphone integration
7. 9 airbags
8. Panoramic Sunroof

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-passat-1.jpeg

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-passat-2.jpeg

2017 VW Passat 2.0 TDI spotted in India. EDIT: Launched at 30 lakhs-passat-3.jpeg

Source : NDTV Auto

Last edited by TorqueyTechie : 10th October 2017 at 13:29.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:04   #52
Senior - BHPian

The pricing mirrors the Superb L&K trim (Rs 50,000 premium over the Superb).

Not too bad pricing, considering that the 3-Series, C-Class are 10 Lakhs dearer.

However, what I fail to understand, is that how is it priced above the Tiguan. In all overseas markets, the passat is a good Lakh or so cheaper than the Tiguan.

Last edited by abhishek46 : 10th October 2017 at 14:11.
abhishek46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:12   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
2017 VW Passat launched in India with a introductory price tag of Rs. 29.99 lakh for Comfortline and Rs. 32.99 lakh for Highline (ex-showroom prices). This will be locally assembled and is based on the company's new Modular Transverse Matrix (MQB) platform. Passat comes with a 2.0L TDI, 177PS (174 bhp) diesel engine mated to a 6-speed DSG automatic gearbox.
After the recent pricing debacle by Skoda with the Kodiaq & VW with the Tiguan - i really hadn't expected the Passat to be so well priced (relatively speaking).
A little more expensive than the Superb, but compared to the Camry and the A4/3/C - pricing seems spot on for a change!

The previous gen Passat Highline was head-on with the discounted E90 3 series / A4 (top end variants) - in this case, there is still a decent margin left unless one gets a stellar deal on a German during their stock clearance activities.

Would've also liked to see VW introducing the Hybrid and petrol variant of the Passat. Hopefully they will consider it in the future!

Last edited by lamborghini : 10th October 2017 at 14:20.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:35   #54
BHPian

I really don't know why would anyone buy the new Passat over the Superb L&K with 50K more. Superb L&K offers everything that Passat offers (with 2 bonus umbrellas !!!) . Even the looks of Superb is close to Passat in terms of understated elegance.

I guess the skewed Govt policy on Hybrids made VW skip the hybrid version.
baskar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 14:55   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
I really don't know why would anyone buy the new Passat over the Superb L&K with 50K more. Superb L&K offers everything that Passat offers (with 2 bonus umbrellas !!!) . Even the looks of Superb is close to Passat in terms of understated elegance.

I guess the skewed Govt policy on Hybrids made VW skip the hybrid version.
IMO - the Passat feels a lot more special inside compared to the Superb, and the size makes it a lot more nimble for those owners who would like to drive.

I for one would pick the Passat over the Superb just for these two reasons.
lamborghini is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 15:19   #56
Team-BHP Support

That’s pretty good pricing IMO. The car is luxurious and well-appointed, and though spacious it doesn’t have the Superb’s long limo feel. This feels a proper alternative to the likes of a C or an A4.
And with the more powerful engine option, I feel this can add to Tiguan’s misery.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 16:30   #57
BHPian

It also seems to have DCC, which is adaptive damping?

If yes, then that's one thing the Superb doesn't have. Also how much is the torque on offer?

And one thing which I notice is a sure miss is the term "Panoramic Sunroof". The Tiguan has one, but the one on the Passat seems to be similar to the one on the Superb and it's not "panoramic" at all.

Quote:
I really don't know why would anyone buy the new Passat over the Superb L&K with 50K more.
There are many who would never buy a Skoda product, and it's for them that an alternative now presents itself.

Last edited by aah78 : 10th October 2017 at 17:54. Reason: Posts merged. Please use QUOTE+/MULTI-QUOTE when responding to multiple posts. Thanks!
Old 10th October 2017, 17:26   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhisheKulkarni View Post
And one thing which I notice is a sure miss is the term "Panoramic Sunroof". The Tiguan has one, but the one on the Passat seems to be similar to the one on the Superb and it's not "panoramic" at all.
Please check the post above put by TorqueyTechie. It clearly mentions Panoramic in point 8. Even the Pic 2 has the mention of the same.
Old 10th October 2017, 17:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Personally, If I had the money, I would chose the Passat.
VW After-Sales is a bit better than the sordid and horrifying Skoda Dealerships.
abhishek46 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2017, 17:55   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Please check the post above put by TorqueyTechie. It clearly mentions Panoramic in point 8. Even the Pic 2 has the mention of the same.
I was trying to point out the fact that the size of the sun-roof in the Passat is not "panoramic". The one in the Tiguan is.
AbhisheKulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks