Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2013, 17:39   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Hyundai crosses the 50 Lakh milestone in India

Hyundai crosses the 50 Lakh milestone in India-shahrukh-hyundai.jpg

Shahrukh Khan flags off car no. 50,00,000 from Hyundai's Irrungattukottai factory, near Chennai.

Hyundai first started production in India in 1998.

Hyundai crosses the 50 Lakh milestone in India-hyundai-india.png
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 18:35   #2
BHPian

It just goes on to show that if you keep your head to the ground and make an effort to understand the Indian mentality any MNC can really make a lasting presence in the second most populous market in the world. I think rivals won't admit it but all of them can learn a lot from what Hyundai has been able to achieve in what is mostly perceived as 'difficult Indian business climate' by global MNCs.

You have to hand it to the Koreans for their diligence. After consumer white goods Hyundai's success in Indian car market shows that their DNA of doing thing in India has a lot to offer for others I.e. both for our home grown car companies as well as MNCs. Its a worthy achievement for a company which time and again has ventured deeper into India where others have floundered by their indecisiveness.
abs182 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 21:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai crosses the 50 Lakh milestone in India

Look at that!

They've really transformed themselves through their product offerings. They cater to most segments that matter and really well at that!

What I admire about Hyundai is that they have managed to change the market's perception about them and each product, right from the Eon to Verna is a strong contender in the buying decision.

Wonder if the complacent MS is looking at this.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2013, 22:23   #4
Team-BHP Support

I like the way Hyundai is thinking.

They are not talking about market share or rankings (number 1 in this segment, number 2 in that segment blah blah).

They are talking investment, job creation, taxes paid ($7.4 billion? Isn't that a bit too high?), GDP contribution and exports.
SmartCat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 02:36   #5
BHPian

Glad to have contributed to 2 cars in that huge pool :-)
Hyundai has really understood what works in India & they regularly bring out strong contenders in almost any segment they enter!
Old 18th October 2013, 09:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

One very important reason Hyundai has achieved this success is due to the fact that Hyundai cars come well-equipped for the price they're offered for. People have come to learn, perceive and accept Hyundais as a VFM product. Take any Hyundai being offered today and it will have at least one feature that stands out amongst its immediate competitor. Ofcourse pricing cars sensibly and providing & maintaining a decent level of customer service have only helped build the brand reputation grounds up.

Kudos to Hyundai and Koreans for making it large.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 18th October 2013 at 09:22.
9thsphinx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 09:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Hyndai. Great feat
The only sore point is they could not make it big in 10Lakh+ range while they did try hard enough.

Hyundai why not considering a mini SUV (not under 4mts please) in 10-12Lakh range?
Old 18th October 2013, 10:40   #8
BHPian

Awesome feat by Hyundai.

They have mastered the art of thinking what the Indian consumer is looking forward too. Good sales & service network with an array of VFM products in their portfolio.

Last edited by GTO : 18th October 2013 at 15:02. Reason: Typo
Old 18th October 2013, 11:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations to Hyundai India for achieving the feat, & I wish them more & more success in future.

They came when Maruti Suzuki ruled the roost (by replacing the sloths - Premier & HM from the pedestal), were mocked about for their weird design (original Santro) & were an unknown brand for India in 1998. But, their (& Daewoo's) products had, as pointed by many earlier, additional features like power steering, MPFI engine, superior brakes, etc., which made the best sellers Zen & Esteem/ M1000 appear outdated. Because of their approach to provide reliable products at VFM levels, that appeal to masses (not just enthusiasts) they have managed to make a mark not only India, but, all over the world, & at present they are out to make their European sojourn a success also.

Though not the sales leader in India (I feel it is extremely difficult to Maruti-Suzuki from Numero Uno position), but at times they have forced Maruti-Suzuki & all others to update their products & portfolio accordingly (good for customers/ enthusiasts).

Their have been few chinks in their armour off-late, viz - low city FE claimed by many, high servicing costs (this is now a norm now-a-days) & ill-famed steering rattles (in previous i20s), but, the company has functioned like a well oiled machinery to keep the masses satisfied & negatives at bay, thereby being successful in retaining 2nd position in India, & also achieving reasonable success in Rs.10+ lacs market, which is extremely difficult in perception driven Indian market.

Kudos to Hyundai .
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 12:07   #10
BHPian

I think the best part has been their treatment of the Indian market at par with other markets in the developed world. They've been prompt at bringing their cars to us mostly in line with their global launches. However, I beleive they would soon be losing the perceived VFM tag as far as service costs are concerned, or have they lost it already? I for one, am looking out for alternatives as the normal service costs on my Santro have always been more than 6k for the last several visits, I am thinking of giving carnation a try.

And I fail to understand the reason for them not bringing an SUV in the 12-15L bracket, after having been one of the pioneers in this segment with the Tucson. That said, being a proud owner of the Santro, that laid the foundation of their journey in this country, I feel really happy for them and wish they continue to serve this market with all the more zeal.
DragonRider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 12:53   #11
BHPian

to Hyundai India!

Hyundai has really shown us Indians what affordable engineering is all about with their brilliant line up of products. From being a brand virtually unknown to a brand, that has been respected for over the years, Hyundai has come a full circle.
vinair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 12:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

I still remember the early "Who is Hyundai? Should I trust them?" ads by Sharukh!

Kudos to Hyundai!
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 14:18   #13
Senior - BHPian

Its a terrific story - humble start to #2! Hyundai offers the best value proposition in India today, IMO.

They do have plans on a sub-4m sedan, as well as a compact SUV/MUV but they are/were late here. I thought they could have reacted faster and gotten to this milestone sooner
Equus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:09   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
$7.4 billion? Isn't that a bit too high?
About 45,000 Crore Rupees (taking $ as 60).

That's about Rs. 90,000 tax per Hyundai manufactured in India. Totally believable.

Remember that Hyundai is the 2nd largest exporter of cars from here. The tax component for Hyundais sold in India will be much higher than this Rs. 90,000 figure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
The only sore point is they could not make it big in 10Lakh+ range while they did try hard enough.
That was yesterday.

The current-gen Elantra is king of the D1 sedan segment since the time of launch.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2013, 15:14   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
About 45,000 Crore Rupees (taking $ as 60).

That's about Rs. 90,000 tax per Hyundai manufactured in India. Totally believable.

Remember that Hyundai is the 2nd largest exporter of cars from here. The tax component for Hyundais sold in India will be much higher than this Rs. 90,000 figure.
Aah yes. Makes sense. Forgot about the road tax.

I was only thinking in terms of corporate tax/ employee TDS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks