Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 14:34   #541
WDB
BHPian

Re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Hey Guys

I am not a car guy. I currently own and drive a Tata Indica vista 2008 model and 'am looking to change my car. And I am hooked to the JTP.

Not being a car guy I wanted an opinion on the 3 cylinder engine of this car. My current petrol vista is driven by 1172 cc - 4 cylinder Fiat sourced engine delivering 65 PS. It was called an underpowered car at the time.

I know JTP has 114 PS power that's almost 1.75 times; still, I read that 3 cylinders vs 4 cylinders article and 3 cylinders having lower power at lower RPM. Also the regular tiago lacks power at start-up.

I understand that there is no direct comparison but still the JTP tuning of the car has me all confused. Will appreciate your collective advise.

Last edited by Zappo : 18th December 2018 at 22:24. Reason: Starting now, please take time to compose your posts with proper punctuations. Edited and corrected this once only.
WDB is offline   (1) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 18th December 2018, 14:57   #542
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
Hey Guys

Not a car guy, i currently own and drive a Tata Indica vista 2008 model, looking to change my car and was hooked to JTP

Not being a car guy i wanted an opinion on the 3 cylinder engine of this car

Understand there is no comparison and JTP tuning of the car, still has me all confused, appreciate advise, please
Without going into technical part which is not my forte, 3-cylinder petrol engines these days are pretty refined and offer good low end response. These are pretty good on NVH levels as well, mostly more refined than the 4 cylinder Diesel engines.

I test drove the 3 pots of Nexon and Ecosport and was impressed with the low speed drivability esp of Ecosport. However, there still is a discernable difference in the smoothness of 4 cylinder engines vs the 3 cylinder ones.

JTP cars are not regular cars, they are meant to be driven differently. So not sure, if absolute engine refinement should be a make-or-break criteria
Nav-i-gator is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:24   #543
WDB
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nav-i-gator View Post
Without going into technical part which is not my forte, 3-cylinder petrol engines these days are pretty refined and offer good low end response. These are pretty good on NVH levels as well, mostly more refined than the 4 cylinder Diesel engines.

I test drove the 3 pots of Nexon and Ecosport and was impressed with the low speed drivability esp of Ecosport. However, there still is a discernable difference in the smoothness of 4 cylinder engines vs the 3 cylinder ones.

JTP cars are not regular cars, they are meant to be driven differently. So not sure, if absolute engine refinement should be a make-or-break criteria
Thanks, am ok with the refinement, was confused on the low end response
WDB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 15:45   #544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Guys

Not a car guy, i currently own and drive a Tata Indica vista 2008 model, looking to change my car and was hooked to JTP
...….
Understand there is no comparison and JTP tuning of the car, still has me all confused, appreciate advise, please
Depends on what exactly you are looking forward to in the new car. Interior & Buid quality-wise you can be rest assured Tiago would be miles ahead of the Indica.

Modern 4 cylinders are indeed smoother than 3 cylinders but that doesn't mean they are trucks, not anymore atleast. With the kind of NVH levels in modern cars you can barely make out much of the 3 cylinder thrum. And compared to the old indica engine this should feel much better. Never the less, please wait for test drive cars to be avialble and once they are in showrooms go for a test drive to see for yourself.

For now you can even test drive the current Tiago to get a feel of 3 cylinder engines. JTP would be much better with the turbo , but still this will give you an idea of other aspects of the car.

P.S: You can even check out the Ford freestyle. Even that has a 3 cylinder engine but low end pull is pretty good.

Last edited by SoumenD : 18th December 2018 at 15:47.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 16:04   #545
BANNED

Mod Note: Our JTP Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Hey Guys

Not being a car guy i wanted an opinion on the 3 cylinder engine of this car

My current petrol vista is driven by 1172 cc - 4 cylinder Fiat sourced engine delivering 65 PS

It was called an underpowered car at the time

I know JTP has 114 PS power that's almost 1.75 times; still read that 3 cylinder vs 4 cylinder article and 3 cylinder having lower power at lower RPM, also the regular tiago lacking power at start-up

No need to worry at all. I test drove the JTP and it has adequate punch even under 2k rpm to have good tractability. For a reference usually i drive a smaller car than yours, A spark with 4 cylinder 1.0 with about 65ps power and JTP felt like it had more punch at all the revs but it really takes off near 3k rpm.

Last edited by GTO : 21st December 2018 at 10:33. Reason: Link to review :)
agambhandari is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks