Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 27th November 2018, 09:51   #511
BHPian

Re: The Tata Tigor JTP & Tiago JTP. EDIT: Launched at Rs 6.39 - 7.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavi View Post
I hope you quoted me to add more information, because I did not find anything in my post contradicting with the details you mentioned in your post. Does the sheet metal thickness have any role in crash safety or rating? I don't believe it has, but correct me if I am wrong.
I just wanted share a little more information, nothing to contradict or critique your statement mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub89 View Post

Sorry for taking this thread into another direction.

Sheet metal thickness matters! In some cases, at least.
So if the thicker sheets can sustain more pressure (from the inside), I can't quantify that optimum thickness, however.
I would say based on my experience that, Sheet metal stiffness is what matters. In current age and trends, slimmer sheets with much higher stiffness are used for the body ( they term it as High Strength Steels - HSS, Ultra HSS). Sometimes even plastics (composites is the right term) are used.

This ensure better stiffness at much lower weights improving fuel economy and manufacturing efficiency. Cost is the one that shoots up, but that is what business decision making is all about.
Old 27th November 2018, 14:02   #512
BHPian

I know it has been asked too often, But any heads-up on when will the official review be up for grabs, mods?

I am seriously considering the Tigor JTP to be on top of my shortlist when I will be in the market somewhere mid-Dec.

Please expedite the most-awaited and most trusted review of the most awaited cars from the most loved experts.
Old 28th November 2018, 09:42   #513
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
After tweeting out to Tata Motors and having a lot of back and forth with their team and the Concorde motors dealer in Delhi, they have confirmed that the display and TD cars would be dispatched in 2nd week of December, so we can expect TD in 2nd or 3rd week at the earliest.
JTP twins have become the proverbial unicorns. Everyone has heard or read about them but no one has seen them. It has been more than a month since car was launched with price announcements and not a single dealer countrywide can say with confidence on when these cars will be delivered.

Tata motors deserve some serious attention for this mis-management. Couple of weeks is fine, but a month? I am in the market to buy a car and kept delaying looking at freestyle / figo / aspire just to be able to see what Tata has on offer. Now it looks like I'll have to wait till 2019.
ksameer1234 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 09:50   #514
Senior - BHPian

This is exactly where Tata Motors will be and have been losing out to the competition. Not only do they have a weak footing in the Indian market (their own home ground, no less!), they are also not willing to take the most fundamental actions to ensure that they strike when the iron is hot. Enthusiasts throughout the country have been drooling over the favourable drive report of the JTP twins, yet, when the sentiment is bullish, Tata does not provide any test drive vehicles!! Which idiot in the hierarchy authorised this kind of slow mover strategy?

One is most likely to get a favourable reception when the vehicle is available for touch and feel to the consumer, but in this case, there is zero visibility on when test drives or even display vehicles will be available. Dealers for the most part are clueless. The only message that is sent out is that Tata is content having made a capable vehicle, but when it comes to sales, they seem to have dozed off
arindambasu13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 12:39   #515
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata Motors has worked a lot towards overhauling their product range and the results are evident. Next, they should immediately focus on their supply chain and dealerships. These are an important part of the automobile industry and contribute significantly to the customer experience. Any delay in these actions, Tata will start losing the goodwill that they have started earning back.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2018, 13:26   #516
Senior - BHPian

Take any brand and dealerships are mostly empty these days. They should build a very strong online presence, work towards selling online, and overhaul their post-purchase - (on ground) - stewardship. They have competent products now, and that part is already taken care of. 'This is level next' & This is purely my opinion .

By the way, In Bangalore, the 2 wheelers have already moved to online booking. PayTM gives almost 5K off when you book through them. There are no showroom discounts. The vehicles are brought home for test rides. So why invest in showrooms/dealerships?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Tata Motors has worked a lot towards overhauling their product range and the results are evident. Next, they should immediately focus on their supply chain and dealerships.
Old 28th November 2018, 13:47   #517
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Take any brand and dealerships are mostly empty these days. They should build a very strong online presence, work towards selling online, and overhaul their post-purchase - (on ground) - stewardship. They have competent products now, and that part is already taken care of. 'This is level next' & This is purely my opinion .
Booking is just the initial step. The pre and post delivery experience comes next. And then the after sales service comes into picture. This is where Tata seems to be lacking across dealerships (there could be outliers).

I know people who got the Tiago and Nexon. They like their cars a lot but their complain, there are niggles in the car which spoil the experience. And multiple trips to the dealer to fix them adds to the insult. Sometimes the dealers don't respond or are unable to resolve issues.

Last edited by ashis89 : 28th November 2018 at 13:49.
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2018, 19:08   #518
BHPian

Saw a white Tiago JTP with red plates today morning somewhere around the Tata Motors Sanand Plant in Ahmedabad. Most likely a dealer dispatch. Will check up with a dealer here in a week or so to ask about TDs.
Old 5th December 2018, 17:08   #519
BHPian

Things look eerily quiet in this thread. Here in Pune, none of the dealers have any information yet. Earlier, they were talking about pre-booking and even that has stopped now. So, no bookings being accepted either. I guess it is same in other cities as well going by little information being shared by other members.

I was eagerly waiting for JTP and had even started to put together the funds. There is no car in sight and only solace is seeing funds which are still there in my account.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2018, 11:14   #520
WDB
BHPian

I again called up the sole showroom in Ahmedabad for the JTPs; they still saying 10 Dec when they will have the cars; though he did say pre-booking was open
Old 6th December 2018, 12:35   #521
BHPian

Very soon the focus is going to shift to the Harrier and the JTP twins will be forgotten by most. Only a selected few will remember. Auto-enthusiasts mostly.

The dealers will also push the bigger ticket item i.e., the Harrier. So the sales of the JTPs will suffer and some wise guy will come out with a gem like, "the Indian market is not mature enough for performance oriented products."

All the while, conveniently ignoring the fact that the vRS sold like hot cakes when it was handled by a competent marketing campaign and on-ground availability of the car at the dealers.

A performance product will impress by its performance, so you need to let people experience it. This is very different to say a product which is being sold on the back of its features. Because these features can be "felt" through a brochure as well.
veedub89 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 20:35   #522
BHPian

Test drives for Jtp twins started in hyderabad. Prices of Jtp twins up by 15k already. Jtp tiago was 7.73 on road when launched.

Last edited by Vulken Auto : 8th December 2018 at 20:37.
Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 23:00   #523
Team-BHP Support

Tata are busy launching good products, that's a plus, but they really messed up scheduling for the JTP twins.

Why launch a car you aren't ready to supply, even to the limited number of outlets chosen?

It's a niche product to begin with, and even the enthusiasts will sit around only so long before giving up and looking elsewhere.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 11:26   #524
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulken Auto View Post
Test drives for Jtp twins started in hyderabad. Prices of Jtp twins up by 15k already. Jtp tiago was 7.73 on road when launched.
I was half expecting Tata to pull this trick of increasing prices by the time first JTP reaches showroom. What worse, it may even so happen that features which are removed from Tiago may find themselves excluded from JTP as well (MID details, temperature gauge etc.). If that happens, that would definitely mean an end of whatever little interest of mine that remains. This is frustrating beyond belief.
ksameer1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2018, 11:37   #525
Senior - BHPian

With the JTP launched in November (end of year) how many folks would normally prefer buying a new car (new to the market) in December and how many would choose to wait for a Jan 2019 manufactured car?

Yes, they were in a hurry to announce the launch, but there are no performance (warm or hot) cars available at this price point. So those wanting performance without a pinch will willingly wait another month to buy one.

It's not that only the JTP has become expensive. It's every car from every manufacturer that sees a price hike during the month of January, isn't it?

Let's wait to see it in person before speaking of supposed deletions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed