Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 13:21   #151
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

With the pricey Tiguan just launched, expect Skoda Kodaiq price to start at ~ INR 30 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai.
In India Skoda Kodiaq will be premium to VW Tiguan, though it will only be launched, as speculated, in the 7 seat configuration!

Last edited by volkman10 : 24th May 2017 at 13:23.
Old 24th May 2017, 22:29   #152
Distinguished - BHPian

Kodiaq becomes EU's best-selling main stream midsize SUV in April.

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-damq42pw0aa856r.jpg

Source-Jato
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2017, 23:13   #153
BHPian

Given Tiguan pricing I suppose Kodiaq would be benchmarked to Q5/X3 and Disco Sport!
Old 26th May 2017, 16:46   #154
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Kodiaq becomes EU's best-selling main stream midsize SUV in April.

Source-Jato
Indeed. I went to see one at a local dealer in Helsinki and I was told the wait is 9 months. This years production volume is fully sold out. Monumental success for Skoda then.

the version I saw was a 5 seater 2WD DSG Auto-box.
The simplest way to define is to call it a SUV version of Superb.

Skoda seems to have taken a leaf out of Mercedes handbook. Let me explain:

Mercedes has the A Class which was GLA as its SUV counterpart.
Similarly the GLC, GLE and GLS being counterparts for C, E & S respectively.

This is exactly what I see in the Superb/Kodiaq and Octavia/Karoq in terms of their interior space.

With my CR-V as a reference, I went to compare for use-able space inside and was pleasantly surprised to see the immense leg-room in the 2nd row. with it fully pushed back, leg-room is equivalent to what I saw in a Merc S Class. Even in this position (of 2nd row), I found a voluminous boot. With the seats pushed forward to the leg-space as would be in a Karoq, the boot was significantly larger. Unfortunately I could not see a 7 seater to compare.

However, before getting too excited, I looked for the spare wheel. turns out, the enormity of the boot space is thanks to the non-existent spare wheel. not even a donut spare tyre. Instead, there is a compressor and a tyre repair kit in its place in a Ikea-style flat pack.

This is blasphemy for some prospective buyers but then, this is anyway a fast catching up trend.

I visualised a spare wheel in the boot and then compared it with my CR-V. The boot may not be that large after all. Quite long but not too deep.

Realistically speaking, in Europe it may not make a difference. Heck, my 7 yr old CR-V has a spare that has never been used even once. Car has done 93k kms and all sorts of roads. Gravel roads too.

For the others getting too excited about the Kodiaq, think about it.
14000rpm is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 02:35   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14000rpm View Post
However, before getting too excited, I looked for the spare wheel. turns out, the enormity of the boot space is thanks to the non-existent spare wheel. not even a donut spare tyre. Instead, there is a compressor and a tyre repair kit in its place in a Ikea-style flat pack.

This is blasphemy for some prospective buyers but then, this is anyway a fast catching up trend.

I visualised a spare wheel in the boot and then compared it with my CR-V. The boot may not be that large after all. Quite long but not too deep.
I think the quoted boot capacity of 720L for the 5-seater version is the space that you see above the boot floor. If you go for the optional spare wheel, it should sit below the floor where the tire repair kit sits. So I guess the boot space you see above the boot floor should remain as it is even with a spare wheel.

Which version of the Kodiaq did you check out? The Kodiaq standard equipment list mentions a space-saver wheel as standard fitment in Style and Exclusive trims.
Old 27th May 2017, 07:37   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
With the pricey Tiguan just launched, expect Skoda Kodaiq price to start at ~ INR 30 lakhs ex-showroom Mumbai.
In India Skoda Kodiaq will be premium to VW Tiguan, though it will only be launched, as speculated, in the 7 seat configuration!

30 ex showroom in BLR will mean close to 40 on road. Which means the Top Spec Kodiaq will be nosing about in Q3 and X1 territory. Yes it will be a good and capable SUV but what eyewatering prices these are!
By Golly! Normal fellas cannot even consider owning such cars!
Old 27th May 2017, 10:03   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
30 ex showroom in BLR will mean close to 40 on road. Which means the Top Spec Kodiaq will be nosing about in Q3 and X1 territory. Yes it will be a good and capable SUV but what eyewatering prices these are!
Tiguan is 30+ ex show room. Dimensionally larger (with 5+2 seat configuration) can be only 35+ ex showroom and not lesser.
Old 27th May 2017, 10:04   #158
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Even if it starts at 30L ex showroom for the Diesel variant, it will be worth it and I am definitely in for it. But the sales person in Gurgaon had told me that it would start at 40L exshowroom, and that would not be a fair price! I hope that Skoda is more sensible than VW has been in pricing Tiguan!
But with Sudhir Rao now gone from Skoda, it would likely play to the tunes of the VW boss and if the Tiguan price is anything to go by, the Kodiaq would also be priced high. To me the sweet spot for the Kodiaq lies between 27-32 lacs (exactly where Tiguan was pitched) while Tiguan should have been in the 22-27 slot. Lets hope both VW and Skoda do a proper price rationalization post GST. Other players like JLR Have already announced cuts of upto 4 lacs on Discovery Sport and Jaguar XE.
Old 27th May 2017, 15:45   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the quoted boot capacity of 720L for the 5-seater version is the space that you see above the boot floor. If you go for the optional spare wheel, it should sit below the floor where the tire repair kit sits. So I guess the boot space you see above the boot floor should remain as it is even with a spare wheel.

Which version of the Kodiaq did you check out? The Kodiaq standard equipment list mentions a space-saver wheel as standard fitment in Style and Exclusive trims.
well, the Euro-version didn't have any space for a space saver either. Maybe I'll swing by again and take a pic.

if one takes a full-size spare wheel, it is impossible to sit below the boot floor as we see. Unless Skoda has redesigned for India. Highly unlikely I would say.
Old 27th May 2017, 20:27   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well, the Euro-version didn't have any space for a space saver either. Maybe I'll swing by again and take a pic.
Here are two pics I took today:

The boot of the 5-seater version (quoted capacity: 720L):
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-dsc_1548.jpg

The space-saver spare wheel under the boot floor:
The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-dsc_1547.jpg

The car was a top-spec 190PS 4x4 2.0 TDI. The space-saver is standard equipment.

Quote:
if one takes a full-size spare wheel, it is impossible to sit below the boot floor as we see. Unless Skoda has redesigned for India. Highly unlikely I would say.
The full-size spare seems to be an option for the lower-spec versions. If so, I think it will also fit in there.

Visually, the boot is at least as wide as the Octavia's and the boot height is higher than even my Combi (with quoted capacity of 610L). I think the boot will take 4 large suitcases.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2017, 11:04   #161
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Realistically speaking, in Europe it may not make a difference. Heck, my 7 yr old CR-V has a spare that has never been used even once. Car has done 93k kms and all sorts of roads. Gravel roads too.

For the others getting too excited about the Kodiaq, think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Here are two pics I took today:

The boot of the 5-seater version (quoted capacity: 720L):
Attachment 1642910

The space-saver spare wheel under the boot floor:
Attachment 1642911

The car was a top-spec 190PS 4x4 2.0 TDI. The space-saver is standard equipment.

The full-size spare seems to be an option for the lower-spec versions. If so, I think it will also fit in there.

Visually, the boot is at least as wide as the Octavia's and the boot height is higher than even my Combi (with quoted capacity of 610L). I think the boot will take 4 large suitcases.
When I went for the preview, I was told that the five seater has a full sized spare. The seven seater on display had a deflated space save under the floor
Old 28th May 2017, 11:49   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
When I went for the preview, I was told that the five seater has a full sized spare. The seven seater on display had a deflated space save under the floor
When I checked the car configurator tool on Skoda site here, the 3rd row is an option on all the trim levels. The 2 higher trims (Style, Exclusive) have the space-saver as standard equipment. For the lower two trims (Active, Ambition) a full-size spare can be chosen if 7-seater option is not chosen. With the 7-seater option, only space-saver option can be chosen. This fits in with what you wrote.

However, the top two trims have no option here for full-size spare even in 5-seater configuration. I guess this will change for the India spec.
Old 31st May 2017, 13:30   #163
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq secures 5 stars in EURO-NCAP tests.

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs-k.jpg

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2017 at 13:59.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2017, 14:02   #164
BHPian

I think it looks great, at the right price this can be the image rehabilitation Skoda needs, and a good follow up to the great current gen Octavia and Superb. Is this to be targeted at the Q3/X1 range or the Q5/X3 range? I'm assuming the latter?
Old 6th June 2017, 16:15   #165
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Kodiaq ( 7 SEAT - petrol variant) review !

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks