Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2017, 16:17   #406
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Toyota is above average but they like to add on useless items to the bill which no one really asks for (windshield buffing, power window and lock servicing, etc.). Ford is very dealer specific as is Skoda.

Why do people buy Audis if their service is so bad?
Because everyone assumes nothing will happen to them until it does + lucrative discounts + good looking cars. Even Skoda with it's poor reputation manages to sell a handful of it's premium models compared to some others in it's segment.

Question is how many are going to be repeat Audi customers - I know only a handful compared to those who buy repeat BMWs and Mercs.
You must always refuse the useless add-on in your service as well as during your purchase. I have never paid for any of these things, they might insist for a bit but if you firmly refuse, they will give in and it's never a deal breaker.

As for Audi, their service is not upto the mark but nor is Mercedes. MB service centers are very slow and take 2-3 days diagnose the problem then another few days to rectify it. Overall for any issue your car is gone for 5 to 7 days. Where a part replacement is required, it will take even longer.

You find more repeat customers for BMW and MB mainly because of their dealer sales teams and proactive dealer principals. Audi dealerships aren't as aggressive and dealer principals are not as forthcoming or involved. A prime reason for this is the Audi Mumbai West has changed owners too often in the past 5-7 years and Audi Mumbai South only been in business for 5 years. They had a great ex-BMW sales manager running the show initially that got them a lot of BMW clients in like me.
When someone is spending big bucks, they want to be attended to by good senior person or owner. A lot in India is based on relationships and this is key in the luxury market too.

I think sales and service are two different things for most consumers. Many buying a luxury car don't think of the service aspects as much while purchasing.
Sahil is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 11th December 2017, 16:39   #407
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
You must always refuse the useless add-on in your service as well as during your purchase. I have never paid for any of these things, they might insist for a bit but if you firmly refuse, they will give in and it's never a deal breaker.

As for Audi, their service is not upto the mark but nor is Mercedes. MB service centers are very slow and take 2-3 days diagnose the problem then another few days to rectify it. Overall for any issue your car is gone for 5 to 7 days. Where a part replacement is required, it will take even longer.

You find more repeat customers for BMW and MB mainly because of their dealer sales teams and proactive dealer principals. Audi dealerships aren't as aggressive and dealer principals are not as forthcoming or involved. A prime reason for this is the Audi Mumbai West has changed owners too often in the past 5-7 years and Audi Mumbai South only been in business for 5 years. They had a great ex-BMW sales manager running the show initially that got them a lot of BMW clients in like me.
When someone is spending big bucks, they want to be attended to by good senior person or owner. A lot in India is based on relationships and this is key in the luxury market too.

I think sales and service are two different things for most consumers. Many buying a luxury car don't think of the service aspects as much while purchasing.
Hi buddy,

A) I always refuse the add-ons. My point being that Toyota service seems to have more add-ons than other dealers. On our Etios's 50Kkm service, the actual work done was around 13K (including some brake work and other minor stuff), and they showed add-ons they wanted to carry out worth 11.2K for all useless items.

B & C) Completely agree with you. Our C220d took 3 days for it's first service, but the difference lies in the fact that I got the appointment without much of a queue and most parts are easily available.
In the case of the A6 which needed repair work due to a sensor going kaput - they weren't able to give me a date for nearly 3 weeks!
BMW is quite decent in this regard, though you do have to wait for the not so common parts which is normal in this segment.

D) Exactly! That and we hear horror stories, but always feel it won't be that bad now/for us. Honestly though, any German/European car requires more upkeep and maintenance than a Jap - and at times it can be rough: There has been an incident where we've had 3 Germans/Europeans in the workshop at one time! Since then a few Japs have entered the garage and it's a smooth process. Personally, if you aren't an enthusiast / drive yourself - a Jap may just be a better bet keeping in mind reliability, comfort, and peace of mind!
lamborghini is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 13:07   #408
BHPian

Since the official review is not yet complete.

Can someone please suggest if it is advisable to go in for the Kodiaq or the Fortuner.

I have asked this a couple of times now, but no one has an answer.
Old 12th December 2017, 13:58   #409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_crazy1400 View Post

Can someone please suggest if it is advisable to go in for the Kodiaq or the Fortuner.

Depends on your requirement really – If you need a stylish and comfortable 7-seater for your city-runs or a 5-seater + loads of luggage for highway runs, go with the Kodiaq.
If you are of the variety who often takes your car off-road or have to deal with beaten roads regularly (and values re-sale value a lot), go with the Fortnuer.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 14:23   #410
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

The Kodiaq is more feature loaded, more comfortable, with better quality interiors. If this is what your key requirement is - it's a no brainer.

The Fortuner on the other hand is going to be a rock-solid companion, that is always by your side. It won't be as comfortable, won't look as good, but when the going gets rough - it'll happily munch up those miles.
Old 12th December 2017, 14:39   #411
BHPian

The Skoda Kodiaq. EDIT: Now launched at Rs 34.49 lakhs

Sir, I am currently using an 7+ year old(2010) Fortuner (tough as nails) and my second Innova (2015).

Daily drive does entail some rough stuff over non existent roads and highways.
I am a Japanese car fan boy and have mostly Japanese cars.

But I am not impressed with the new Fortuner especially with the asked price and quality of interiors. Plus I am simply bored with the Toyota.

Hence, looking for alternatives. I liked the Endeavour too but its lag of headroom is a big put off.

I came away very impressed with the new Kodiaq's drivetrain and the interiors. But reliability is still doubtful plus the fact that it is not a 7 seater and more expensive than the Fortuner doesn't help me either.
So confused.

Last edited by car_crazy1400 : 12th December 2017 at 14:41.
Old 15th December 2017, 10:39   #412
Team-BHP Support

Happened to see the Kodiaq yesterday. Its nice and luxurious and I like the fact that it will be less all out body on frame to drive like the Fortuner. Two key things that stood out:

- As third rows go - its probably less usable than even its competition. Very very cramped.
- Because the third row has been forced it has also compromised middle row comfort. I'm quite sure the Tiguan has a more comfortable second row seating, particularly from an underthigh support standpoint.

Unless the occasional 3rd row option for kids is a deal breaking requirement for you, I would say the Tiguan is any day hands down the better buy than the Kodiaq. (I'm simply comparing between these two specifically and not the wider field of competition.). Same engine, possibly lower weight in the VW, similar features for most part (fab moon roof, paddle shifts etc), slightly more compact footprint.

I have a feeling it'll only be with the next gen Honda CR-V that one will get a true blue usable 7 seater in diesel guise with a decent engine and which is less truck like than the T Fort or Endy. Of course, you then miss out on the solid build of the Germans!

Quote:
Sir, I am currently using an 7+ year old(2010) Fortuner (tough as nails) and my second Innova (2015).

I am a Japanese car fan boy and have mostly Japanese cars.
To your point, I would think your best bets are indeed the Endeavour or the next CR-V - from whatever I've read off the net, the Honda might be the better option if you can wait for it. The headroom in the Endy is hopefully not a total deal breaker because otherwise it really is a very fine vehicle to own. The CR-v will also combine Japanese peace of mind ownership with car like driving dynamics if that suits you - the Fortuner lacks car like ease and the Kodiaq presumably will always carry a reliability question mark

Last edited by Axe77 : 15th December 2017 at 10:43.
Axe77 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2017, 17:56   #413
Distinguished - BHPian

Mod Note: Our Kodiaq Report has been taken live at this link (Skoda Kodiaq : Official Review). Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

Unless the occasional 3rd row option for kids is a deal breaking requirement for you, I would say the Tiguan is any day hands down the better buy than the Kodiaq. (I'm simply comparing between these two specifically and not the wider field of competition.). Same engine, possibly lower weight in the VW, similar features for most part (fab moon roof, paddle shifts etc), slightly more compact footprint.
I believe the Kodiaq is that much bigger and has a better ride quality than the Tiguan.

Quote:
To your point, I would think your best bets are indeed the Endeavour or the next CR-V - from whatever I've read off the net, the Honda might be the better option if you can wait for it. The headroom in the Endy is hopefully not a total deal breaker because otherwise it really is a very fine vehicle to own. The CR-v will also combine Japanese peace of mind ownership with car like driving dynamics if that suits you - the Fortuner lacks car like ease and the Kodiaq presumably will always carry a reliability question mark
The CR-V wouldn't be a really spacious 7 seater either, and will come with a puny 1.6L Diesel engine.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2017 at 12:23. Reason: Linking to review
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks