Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2018, 18:48   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Tata Motors gears up for a new strategy for the new FY 2018-19 - Turnaround 2.0, which will focus exclusively on it's PVs division and make them financially self-sustainable.

Quote:
Addressing employees at annual townhall, the company's MD and CEO Guenter Butschek said that under Turnaround 2.0, Tata Motors' effort would be to enable its PV business to "fund for itself for future and also help in taking us much beyond the aspirations of being the No 3 in domestic market".
Last year, Tata Motors announced its turnaround plan for its domestic business with a special focus on the ailing commercial vehicles business. It shifted focus to 'Turnaround' from its earlier strategy of 'Transformation'.
Subsequently, in 2017-18, the company has been able to improve its sales significantly.
"We ended the the year on a high with an impressive performance of 23 per cent cumulative growth year-on-year," Butschek said in his address to employees in Pune.
The company's cumulative domestic sales of CV and PV segments for FY18 were 5,86,639 units compared to 4,78,362 units in FY17, a growth of 23 per cent.
"However...the turnaround is not over yet. Not when we still have to meet our Board's expectations, our Chairman's vision, our own targets and our deserving pace in the consumer's mind space," Butschek said.
"It is time for us to again change the gears and move one level higher as we move to Turnaround 2.0... Last year we effectively delivered in the CV domestic (segment). While we continue to remain focussed on CV, we need to push hard for a similar turnaround in PV," Butschek said.
Elaborating further, he said: "It is important for PV to become financially self sustainable. We need to prove that investing in PV is the right value proposition. This will enable the business to fund for itself for the future and also help in taking us much beyond the aspirations of being the No 3 in domestic market."
ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2018, 10:09   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Ratan Tata, addressing all the Tata Motors employees at the company's annual "All Hands Meet" at their Pune plant:

Quote:
"We should plan on being leaders and not followers. And we should get back the spirit that we had which I see today that anything we want to do, we will succeed in doing.
All of you have been terrific contributors in your field and we should feel proud of the place we have built in the past; and under Chandra's and Gunter's leadership, we will continue to build in the future.
I am proud to be part of Tata Motors.
There is nothing that the company undertook and tried and could not achieve, be it the products, be it the entry into the passenger car area, new systems etc.
It hurt me that we lost market share in the last four to five years and we became the company that the country looked at as a failing company. In all the years that I was here, I really believed that this company had tremendous spirit and tremendous capabilities, I stand here today, and I'm happy to see the same spirit, that same do-ability is back together
."
Name:  63583947.png
Views: 4717
Size:  600.7 KB

ET Auto
RavenAvi is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th April 2018, 16:59   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

I guess they need better QC for their social posts too! Tweeting with #LevelNexSUV and all you see is the Scorpio and Xylo. Lol!

Name:  snap.png
Views: 3751
Size:  525.4 KB
Dry Ice is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 22:14   #109
BHPian

Should Tata Motors buy another car maker or go it alone?

Personally I think that Tata need a partner or they need to buy another volume car maker. JLR may be profitable but volumes are low. Tata May be turning their fortunes around but how sustainable is it in an increasingly competitive market?

The good news is that I don’t think they are alone. Mazda and Honda are two companies that surely need to start looking for more partners. Then there is PSA and even FCA. If Tata was to merge with someone who should it be?
Tstag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2018, 22:22   #110
BHPian

I hope mods merge this into another relevant discussion that maybe going on elsewhere in another thread. I don't think there's a need to have an entire thread just to discuss this topic as i feel it will definitely run dry after a few days or weeks.
Old 13th April 2018, 23:26   #111
Senior - BHPian

Re: Should Tata Motors buy another car maker or go it alone?

They indeed are trying hard to get rid of the 'old Tata' image. The new Tata cars are doing their best to overcome that.

But, still there are people who don't want to be seen in a Tata.

In my opinion, Tata is on the right path. Make your car so desirable that people take notice, change their opinion.
ashutoshb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 08:48   #112
Senior - BHPian

Should Tata Motors buy another car maker or go it alone?

I think more than Tata needs a partner in India, manufacturers like Ford, VW , Fiat need Tata! I mean look at how Tata has brought in the new set of cars! Tiago, Hexa and Nexon are clearly the next level!

I test drove a Nexon and Ecosport back to back recently and they were almost evenly matched! The ecosport is revised, updated and is a global product and to nearly match that in the first go itself is a feat!

What is holding them back is the image that has been created over the years.

With the new SUVs and B segment hatch in the pipeline, I do not think they are looking to buy anyone out or anything like that.

If at all, the only thing that could have helped was may be sharing platforms, like the one they attempted with VW.
To amortise costs it would have been helpful. Or even an arrangement like Mahindra and Ford where they have committed to be sharing platforms and technology, but In a limited way.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2018, 08:56   #113
Team-BHP Support

Re: Should Tata Motors buy another car maker or go it alone?

I'm not sure what the motivation/intention of this discussion is.

A manufacturer, especially a mass/non-niche such as Tata, would want to grow organically. That should be their game plan and one would agree that they have been going full-steam towards that goal.

JV/buying companies isn't the solution to growing. Esp. since Tata has it takes to grow: a good cash reserve, courtesy Tata Group, and a good dealer network (not just PVs but even CVs) and their target segment (mass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tstag View Post
Mazda and Honda are two companies that surely need to start looking for more partners.
Honda is struggling in India as a result of their own folly. They are perfectly capable of striking it big in India but don't because they believe in an alternate reality of what the Indian market is!

Quote:
Then there is PSA and even FCA. If Tata was to merge with someone who should it be?
Tata had tied up with Fiat; what did they achieve?
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th April 2018, 15:29   #114
BHPian

I think Tata have shot themselves in the foot with some of the cars they made in the past but not fatally. However for Tata to succeed they need to start exporting their products to places like Europe. The challenge for Tata is to do what Kia have done so well and so quickly.

That said plenty of companies make lots of cars but lose money or struggle. PSA is a great example of that historically. At some point Tata will need merge or buy another company. Personally I think PSA could be an ideal partner. Instant access to a great range of cars, blocks a competitor entering the Indian market and complements JLR really well.
Old 27th April 2018, 17:28   #115
BHPian

Cross-posting from another thread.

http://overdrive.in/amp/news-cars-au...ines-revealed/

Quote:
Speaking to Times of India in Kolkata, PV business unit president Mayank Pareek said that Tata Motors will launch the H5X in the first quarter of next year while the premium 45X hatchback will be launched in the second half of next year.
This means there are no new launches this year(Including Facelifts). Given that Mahindra just launched their face-lifted XUV 500, has another MPV around the corner and not to forget a Tivoli based car coming up, The gap is going to be only increased. TATA really needs to pull up their socks. The only way they can try to catch up is really invest their interests in Nexon AMT and ensure they run away with maximum business before MSIL comes up with Brezza AMT(Which is taking forever!).

From what I can see from different threads on TATA cars, the waiting period is not at all uniform and they are still having production constraints on Tiago/Nexon/Hexa/Tigor. Hope they utilize this year to iron out all those issues. India needs Mahindra and TATA to be neck on neck with each other to ensure both are on upward trajectory.
Old 2nd May 2018, 07:09   #116
Senior - BHPian

Tata passenger car domestic sales number in Apr-2018 is 17,235 and Mahindra sold 21927 units. I think top 3 spot is difficult to reach for TML in the near future.

Last edited by Latheesh : 2nd May 2018 at 07:10.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 08:43   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Tata passenger car domestic sales number in Apr-2018 is 17,235 and Mahindra sold 21927 units. I think top 3 spot is difficult to reach for TML in the near future.
Agree. I don’t see them achieving that in 2019 either. Mahindra will take the game further away from Tata with three new products lined up this year. Tata's next launch is H5X in Q1 2019 which IMO will not be a very high volume product. The premium hatchback X451 can get volumes but that’s in second half of 2019. So end 2019/beginning 2020 they can hope for no. 3 slot but I feel it will not be easy.
Old 2nd May 2018, 09:13   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Agree. I don’t see them achieving that in 2019 either. Mahindra will take the game further away from Tata with three new products lined up this year. Tata's next launch is H5X in Q1 2019 which IMO will not be a very high volume product. The premium hatchback X451 can get volumes but that’s in second half of 2019. So end 2019/beginning 2020 they can hope for no. 3 slot but I feel it will not be easy.
On the other had, trust in the current lineup in up, and monthly sales will surely rise progressively. This will also give them time to make the current models niggle free(just like how Mahindra handled XUV5OO in the initial days).

Hope they rise to the top with their future lineup.
Old 2nd May 2018, 12:16   #119
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A lot of Bolero's and Verito's are registered as commercial vehicles. If the above said figures are split into private vs commercial registration, there will be a daylight between Tata and Mahindra sales, which I don't think Mahindra will ever catch up.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:21   #120
BHPian

Quote:
I think top 3 spot is difficult to reach for TML in the near future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
I don’t see them achieving that in 2019 either. Mahindra will take the game further away from Tata with three new products lined up this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
On the other had, trust in the current lineup in up, and monthly sales will surely rise progressively. Hope they rise to the top with their future lineup.
Spot on, M&M is just taking the game away from Tata. But Tata has brought this day upon themselves for the mistakes they did in the past, on the other other hand M&M continued to update their products regularly and building new products too. After this year the 3rd spot will be quite difficult for Tata, as M&M already has the faith and trust of consumer's which is a bit lacking in Tata.

Tata should do something with the upcoming launches which changes their image. The hard work on Tiago to Hexa shouldn't go in vain. Tata should launch 1-2 cars per segment here-on if they really want that no 3 spot.

All in all I am happy the home grown Indian Manufactures are fighting for the 3rd spot which is resulting in giving the end consumer with better products.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks