Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2022, 10:47   #451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Tata's sales numbers.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-tatacarsalesbreakupjan2022696x843.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 7th February 2022 at 10:49.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 11:05   #452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Tata's sales numbers.
I am wondering how can they sell 10K Punch without eating into Nexon / Altroz sales. Or, are they feeding the backlog?
Old 7th February 2022, 17:49   #453

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I am wondering how can they sell 10K Punch without eating into Nexon / Altroz sales. Or, are they feeding the backlog?
I think the Altroz is showing some effect if you see the reduced MoM numbers.
Having said that, on the whole, the sales numbers are quite impressive. Practically the Hyundai numbers of some months past.
amarnani13 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 20:45   #454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Altroz sales is down by a couple of thousands. Grand i10 and i20 sales are also down by a couple of thousands. After the sedans, hatchbacks are slowly dying and getting replaced with micro SUVs.
Meph1st0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2022, 21:43   #455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarnani13 View Post
I think the Altroz is showing some effect if you see the reduced MoM numbers.
Having said that, on the whole, the sales numbers are quite impressive. Practically the Hyundai numbers of some months past.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meph1st0 View Post
Altroz sales is down by a couple of thousands. Grand i10 and i20 sales are also down by a couple of thousands. After the sedans, hatchbacks are slowly dying and getting replaced with micro SUVs.
The problem with Tata is that they are not able to maintain the sales momentum for a longer period except for Nexon. Their new launched catches the eyes, but then fades away sooner than Maruti / Hyundai models. Let's wait and watch how they do this time. With the "safer cars" tag now with them, they should be able to do it now.
Old 8th February 2022, 08:23   #456
Senior - BHPian

Punch has eaten somewhat from the Tiago/Tigor and Altroz share. However, with the introduction of CNG, I expect these numbers to up by a good percentage for another few months. Also, they should make merry during this chip shortage period. Once the supply chain is sorted in the next couple of years, the numbers would again change.

EV's are also contributing a good 2-3k units per month to their overall monthly sales figures.

However, with the increasing sales numbers, they need to very quickly sort the after sales service network. The service centers are currently biting more than they can chew. The increasing number of A.S.S related complaints are alarming.
jetsetgo08 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2022, 09:05   #457
BHPian

Will we get a car sales analysis report this month ? Normally we get it on 7th of every month.
Old 9th February 2022, 09:51   #458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdexter View Post
Will we get a car sales analysis report this month ? Normally we get it on 7th of every month.
Here you go!
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...-analysis.html (January 2022 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis)
Latheesh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 09:23   #459
Distinguished - BHPian

Tata continues to perform well and has been fighting hard to rise to the No.2 position.

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-smartselect_20220303092158_chrome.jpg

Quote:
It gained the highest Market Share in Jan22 over last year and has seen great traction for all its models.

The launch of Punch & now CNG models has given the much required push for the Indian auto manufacturer.
Source : Auto Punditz

Last edited by Venkatesh : 3rd March 2022 at 09:28.
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:43   #460
BHPian

The real fight for #2 & #3 is going to heat up now.

Tata is within striking distance to Hyundai. AFAIK, there are no new models upcoming from Hyundai. But the problem is Tata also doesn't have any "new" car launches coming up. Altroz Automatic launch might bump up sales a bit. Will that be enough to go past 45K units per month? Highly unlikely. The other exciting model that Tata is working on is the Nexon EV long range version. Even if they launch this, the EV numbers might not go up by a lot. So Tata is probably going to remain in the 40K monthly sales range for the foreseeable future.

While Tata is trying to hit the 44K mark, M&M is not far behind. It looks like they've finally figured out the chip issues and are back to shipping more cars. They are already at 27K per month. And they have incredible new launches lined up this year. The new Scorpio by itself can get then 10-15K sales per month and then there's the XUV300 EV. I'd be very surprised if M&M doesn't hit the 40K mark once they launch Scorpio.

So while Tata looks ahead to get to #2, their #3 position is really under threat if they don't continue to ramp up production / roll up meaningful updates to Nexon & Harrier twins. Exciting times for the Indian auto industry and for domestic manufacturers.
smoes is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 10:49   #461
BHPian

To be honest if someone told me, a year ago, that Tata would be a shoo-in for number 2 OEM by next year, I would have had a hearty laugh.

It is extra-ordinary to see that Tata, who was selling exactly half the cars as Hyundai a year ago, is going toe to toe with Hyundai now!

Bravo Tata

And of course, M&M
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 11:02   #462
BHPian

there are just too many variables right now to be able to predict anything at all with respect to No.2 or No.3.

1. Chip shortage issues
2. Covid recovery issues
3. Highly volatile markets causing uncertainty among people
4. High oil prices, expected major jump in petrol/diesel prices post election completes on 7th March.
5. (To a lesser extent) Uncertainty about Honda
6. Uneven quality of After Sales Service

A true market leader would have to demonstrate consistency over a large period of time, in my opinion, at least 6-8 months without major upheavals in their numbers. Which would mean not just the manufacturer as a whole but also individual models' numbers.
kosjam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 14:53   #463
Senior - BHPian

It would be really interesting to know how Tata managed the semiconductor crisis so much better than others.

Is there any article related to this?
ashutoshb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 15:33   #464
Senior - BHPian

A glaringly obvious gap in Tata's model portfolio is the 7-8 seater Kia Caren's or Maruti ertiga/xl6 rival.

It's a booming segment and the Safari sits 17 lac above. If priced and packaged competitively (unlike the Marazzo blunder!), Tata could add another winner into its model lineup.

Perhaps time to revive the Sumo badge as a modern crossover.
shortbread is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2022, 16:56   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
A glaringly obvious gap in Tata's model portfolio is the 7-8 seater Kia Caren's or Maruti ertiga/xl6 rival.

It's a booming segment and the Safari sits 17 lac above. If priced and packaged competitively (unlike the Marazzo blunder!), Tata could add another winner into its model lineup.

Perhaps time to revive the Sumo badge as a modern crossover.
Yep, an ideal sibling of the Omega twins, Harrier and Safari. Name it Hexa.

A more affordable Triber size MUV on the Alfa platform should be interesting too. Will definitely help them with those monthly figures.

For Sumo, they should think of going back to its G Wagon design routes (broad, boxy, rear / all wheel drive) and think of a worthy competitor to the Thar.

Phew, too much wishful thinking

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks