Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2022, 15:38   #421
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Another small but significant reason is that since Tata has to pay FCA for 72000 engine per annum, they have to make each and every unit of Harrier/Safari count else they will be unnecessarily paying FCA without actually utilizing any engines.
I am curious to know your comments on this Economic Times article published in May 2017 [1]. It categorically contradicts your claim as it states the following:

Quote:
Fiat India Automobiles, an equally-owned joint venture between Fiat and Tata Motors, signed fresh agreements with its Indian parent and Maruti Suzuki to supply 2.2 lakh diesel engines over a three-year period, several people in the know said.

Maruti Suzuki, which has been sourcing 1.3-litre multijet engines from Fiat India, will buy 1.5 lakh more units of the same engine that powers its popular models such as Swift, Dzire, Ignis, Ciaz and Vitara Brezza.

Tata Motors' deal is to source 70,000 units of 2-litre multijet engines for the SUVs it is developing on a Land Rover platform.
In summary, as per the article, over a period of 3 years (not per annum as you have claimed), Maruti will buy 1.5 lakh and Tata will buy 0.7 lakh, totaling 2.2 lakh FCA diesel engines.

With thanks,

[1] https://auto.economictimes.indiatime...otors/58493658

[2] https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5206988 (2021 Tata Safari Review)

Last edited by manson : 3rd January 2022 at 15:48. Reason: Deleted unnecessary criticism.
gmhossain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 20:41   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmhossain View Post
I am curious to know your comments on this
I have gone into this in some detail in my post here (2021 Tata Safari Review)

To reiterate this means either Tata has a new agreement with Stellantis(FCA is now Stellantis alongwith PSA) or there is a new generation of the Harrier twins with a new engine round the corner or as Ram's sources say the original order indeed was for 70k engines per year. I am more inclined to 70k per year as I think Tata expected to sell 5-7k Harriers itself per month which translates to 60-70k engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram87pune View Post
Tata also knows that their SUVs cannot compete with Mahindra's XUV700 on features,safety and performance so they are prioritizing the deliveries of Harrier twins till this chip shortage situation improves and the crazy waiting times of the XUV700 come down.
I would not write off the Harrier twins so easily. While its subjective most will agree that they have the looks which do matter else Hexa was a clear winner purely on features and performance but we all know where that went. The comfort in terms of mid row flexibility(slide & recline) to me is an important feature. I wholeheartedly agree that Mahindra went all out with no effort spared on the XUV and Tata made some major mistakes(the rear suspension, lack of AWD and the Fiat engine) but I think the chip shortage has given them an opportunity they do not deserve to get back in the game and if they come up with an improved Safari instead just counting their monies while XUV deliveries delay they still stand a chance in the longer run.
nainan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:27   #423
BHPian

Tata Motors posted sales of 40,777 PVs in Jan 2022 (YOY Growth of 51%). It looks like Tata will stay in the top 3 for quite some time now.

The highlight of the sales number is the EV Sales. 2,892 EVs sold in Jan 2022 compared to 514 in Jan 2021.

Tata Motors aims for a top 3 spot in PV sales!-screen-shot-20220201-12.26.49-pm.png

Last edited by Aditya : 2nd February 2022 at 06:43. Reason: Typo
smoes is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:27   #424
BHPian

TATA smashes their every previous record till date for the Month of January!

Highest Ever total sales/dispatches -- 40777 Units
Highest Ever SUV sales/dispatches -- 28108 Units
Highest ever EV sales/dispatches -- 2892 Units
CNG sales/Dispatches Debut with 3000 Units
Pune Plant -- Highest Monthly Production since Mar 2007
Ranjangaon Plant -- Highest Monthly Production Ever

Source : SVP https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...WaPqCWgow&s=19

Last edited by RaghuVis : 1st February 2022 at 12:41.
RaghuVis is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 12:52   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
TATA smashes their every previous record till date for the Month of January!

Highest Ever SUV sales/dispatches -- 28108 Units
Highest ever EV sales/dispatches -- 2892 Units
CNG sales/Dispatches Debut with 3000 Units
Pune Plant -- Highest Monthly Production since Mar 2007
Ranjangaon Plant -- Highest Monthly Production Ever

Source : SVP https://twitter.com/sidpatankar/stat...WaPqCWgow&s=19
Thanks for sharing. Amazing feat by TML.

Just to add, they have crossed 10K units for Nexon and Punch.

– Punch and Nexon both crossed monthly sales of 10,000 units

Courtesy 'RUSH LANE': https://www.rushlane.com/tata-sales-...-12424835.html .
pk_del is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 16:04   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaghuVis View Post
Now this is the real breaking news. Nobody expected 40k unit dispatches by TATA motors this fast. Their CNG addition is a big boost in their product portfolio. Now to continue their growth trajectory they should not postpone electric version of Punch and Altroz any longer.
535dinesh is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:37   #427

Kudos to the team of TATA! They have come a long way from Indica days. The hard work, dedication and keen focus on better quality products have paid off in a big way, and it is just the beginning! With introduction of CNG cars and a strong foundation for EV vehicles, they will very soon dethrone Maruti to be the king of Indian passenger vehicle market.
rahul_dg123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 19:38   #428
BHPian

Tata needs just a two more cars to fill their product line completely.

- A C-SUV to compete with the likes Creta/Seltos
- A sedan to compete with the City/Ciaz line-up

The Sedan might not give them volumes but the C-SUV if positioned and priced aggressively will reach new sales heights.
Madrasin_selvan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st February 2022, 20:02   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535dinesh View Post
Now to continue their growth trajectory they should not postpone electric version of Punch and Altroz any longer.
What they need to do on priority is bring that much delayed AT box on Altroz and if possible top spec Nexon. Frankly for a premium hatch to be present for more than 2 years without an auto-box is such a bad planning(Covid or no Covid).

Then the next thing in pipeline should be to bring AMT on CNG lineup which would again give them first mover advantage apart from being present in top end version.

But If I was part of TaMo senior management, I would on urgent basis prioritize Safari and Harrier production considering the huge waiting list of all SUV's from Creta to XUV and do absolutely aggressive promotion.
RaghuVis is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 08:19   #430
Distinguished - BHPian

Jan 2022 Auto sales:

Tata motors shows a growth of 43% ( Y-O-Y) in PV (ICE cars)

Name:  1.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  37.7 KB

Link
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:05   #431
BHPian

I picked up their momentum when I bought my Tiago in 2019. Their cars were good, all they needed was footfall. This was long due for Tata. As a shareholder, heartily congratulations. They need to carry on this momentum, their product launches are god awfully slow. They badly need a Creta-Seltos rival. Something that's designed from ground up, not Nexon pro Max. 1.5 TGDI is missing in action. They launched electric version of Nexon in less than <2 years. What's the holdup for launching Altroz EV? I get it, it's ALFA arc and all, even the X1 platform was new when they decided to launch Nexon EV. As for the ATs, I don't care, I'm still young and can drive manuals till kingdom come
Siddarth_Ramani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 09:24   #432
BHPian

Incredible to see Tata doing so well. Gorgeous looking cars with great safety seems to be a great recipe for success.

Personally, I think their ICE engines are terrible (loud, unrefined, not smooth), which is a bit of a drawback.

Then I drove a Nexon EV. One of the most impressive vehicles I've driven. I'll look past the poor ICE engines if they're focusing on electrification of their product line-up.

My other worry is Tata reliability and durability. 2 close friends in my circle have purchased Nexon EVs, so hopefully I'll have updates on the long-term ownership experience in the coming years.
kadanaJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 10:18   #433
BHPian

The fact that Tata’s have managed 3000 dispatches in less than a month of launch of 2 CNG vehicles (one of them almost a flop in ICE version), shows that the way to numbers is through CNG. To pose credible challenge to Hyundai’s no 2 position they should immediately launch CNG Altroz, Punch & Nexon.

These, I believe can easily add 10000/15000 units to their monthly sales without too much of an effort. Ultimately it’s about number game and brand visibility on roads. I see no problem in launching CNG vehicles if they bring in numbers irrespective of their positioning in ICE version.
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:20   #434
NKB
BHPian

I think this is time to rename the thread to "Tata motors aims for a top 2 spot in PV sales"

3rd spot is acheived and consolidated.
NKB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2022, 12:25   #435
BHPian

Glad to see an Indian brand grossing. Hope they maintain this momentum and replace Hyundai as No 2 permanently. Even when we look around, we can see that change on road - too many Nexons and I am spotting couple of EV versions almost daily
enj0y_ride is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks