Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2018, 07:55   #691
BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

Cartoq claims to have achieved 28 kmpl mileage from the Marazzo over a distance of 179 Kms on the Taj Expressway. Link to YouTube video below:

SCORPION is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 14:52   #692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPION View Post
Cartoq claims to have achieved 28 kmpl mileage from the Marazzo over a distance of 179 Kms on the Taj Expressway.
It's obvious that the vehicle can achieve excellent mileage- it's lighter than its peers and has a smaller engine. This is the good side of a small engine, for all those cribbing about the 1.5 ltr engine

Last edited by navin : 10th October 2018 at 16:03. Reason: removed video link
HighwayofLife is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 15:41   #693

Took a test drive with India Garage, Mysore last week and this is my report.

The Good:
  • Vehicle dimensions are very apt for a MPV.
  • Shark inspired shape looks very modern and fresh. Alloys look stylish.
  • Instrument cluster is cool and easy to read.
  • Extremely silent cabin. Engine can be heard only at higher revs. I had to check the RPM gauge to see if the engine was turned ON.
  • Gear shifts are easy and butter smooth. 6th gear is a boon for highways. Reverse gear slots in easily.
  • A/C is very effective.
  • Steering is very light and responsive.

The Bad:
  • Turbo takes its own sweet time to spool. The dead zone below 1.8K rpm spoils the show. Being a 1.5L engine I was expecting less lag but it was totally opposite to the zero lag nature of the brilliant mHawk engines. Post 1.8K rpm the engine revs freely but takes some time to get up to speed due to the vehicle's weight. I feel a 2L mHawk or 1.8L engine would have been apt for its weight.
  • Gear lever is a full stretched arms length away from the driver. Almost truck like. Gears 4-5-6 will never be used in cities, not even over a good empty 500m stretch of road between signals. You will feel the need to downshift from higher gears due to lack of punch at low rpms. 6th gear is only for highways.
  • Clutch pedal travel length is too long. Your leg will begin to ache in a while.
  • Interiors, especially the dashboard looks like a disco lounge. Too much bling and bad taste of colors. The plastic on the dashboard in front of the passenger side seat is irritating as it reflects light directly into the drivers eye.
  • Cheap plastics everywhere. Looks very brittle.
  • Rear view mirror is a huge blind spot.
  • Ugly handbrake design. I had a hard time to understand how to release the handbrake.
  • Driver seat feels short and lacks under thigh support. Last row seating is strictly for kids.

I have an 8yr old Xylo E8 with mEagle engine putting out 113 horses which I purchased for 9.5L OTR. The engine has zero lag, does 35kph to 100kph in 5th gear, very comfortable seats(even 3rd row) and is a pleasure to drive on highways. Marazzo on the other hand seems overpriced considering the 1.5L engine and poor quality of interiors. This is definitely not an upgrade for those who want to move from Xylo, old Innova, old Scorpio or any other MPV.
KA09_BIKER_GPER is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2018, 20:26   #694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA09_BIKER_GPER View Post
Took a test drive with India Garage, Mysore last week and this is my report.
Thanks for sharing your feedback
Quote:
I have an 8yr old Xylo E8 with mEagle engine putting out 113 horses which I purchased for 9.5L OTR. The engine has zero lag, does 35kph to 100kph in 5th gear, very comfortable seats(even 3rd row) and is a pleasure to drive on highways. Marazzo on the other hand seems overpriced considering the 1.5L engine and poor quality of interiors. This is definitely not an upgrade for those who want to move from Xylo, old Innova, old Scorpio or any other MPV.
People who are used to Xylo, old Innova, old Scorpio may not even give a second look to the Marazzo, it will be a major downgrade for them. Bigger engines provide good low end grunt and that is what matters the most for a people mover. I believe the Marazzo is mainly targeted for the people with extended families, husband, wife, kids and old parents/in-laws. Six or seven people. The car can be used for daily commute in city by the bread winner. For a single person, mainly in-city driving, it won't pose much of a challenge. Over the weekends along with the family, when you will be hitting the highways, you will be mostly driving in the turbo-zone and this car will shine there as well. People who are looking to lug 7-8 people around the city will be greatly disappointed with the Marazzo but for folks with the above mentioned demography, this car will hit the sweet spot.
AutoIndian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 00:38   #695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Thanks for sharing your feedbackPeople who are used to Xylo, old Innova, old Scorpio may not even give a second look to the Marazzo, it will be a major downgrade for them. Bigger engines provide good low end grunt and that is what matters the most for a people mover. I believe the Marazzo is mainly targeted for the people with extended families, husband, wife, kids and old parents/in-laws. Six or seven people. The car can be used for daily commute in city by the bread winner. For a single person, mainly in-city driving, it won't pose much of a challenge. Over the weekends along with the family, when you will be hitting the highways, you will be mostly driving in the turbo-zone and this car will shine there as well. People who are looking to lug 7-8 people around the city will be greatly disappointed with the Marazzo but for folks with the above mentioned demography, this car will hit the sweet spot.
What's the difference between moving an extended family and a people mover? I bought the Marazzo because I will be driving alone to office most days and might do a few road trips, on which I want good mileage, especially on long drives like the Gurugram-Mumbai drive that I do occasionally. A mileage of 16 on such a drive is significantly better than a mileage of 10 that my current Scorpio LX 4WD gives
HighwayofLife is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 06:21   #696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayofLife View Post
What's the difference between moving an extended family and a people mover?
You actually corroborate what he means. A people mover is one that's used to transport a group of 6-7 on a daily basis inside town. Like office commutes, taxis, office cabs etc. According to AutoIndian, the smaller engine with less torque at the bottom end will not make driving comfortable.

However, if it's used as a weekend getaway ok majorly highways (Gurugram-Mumbai) it will serve the purpose to the T. So, the Marazzo is absolutely suited for people with a requirement like yours. Less load inside city and full capacity during getaways.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2018, 10:13   #697
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's the difference between moving an extended family and a people mover?
Quote:
Originally Posted by discoverwild View Post
You actually corroborate what he means. A people mover is one that's used to transport a group of 6-7 on a daily basis inside town. Like office commutes, taxis, office cabs etc. According to AutoIndian, the smaller engine with less torque at the bottom end will not make driving comfortable.

However, if it's used as a weekend getaway ok majorly highways (Gurugram-Mumbai) it will serve the purpose to the T. So, the Marazzo is absolutely suited for people with a requirement like yours. Less load inside city and full capacity during getaways.
Many thanks discoverwild for that explanation . You have summed it up very well. @ HighwayofLife, I wanted to explain you the same thing. A people mover is expected to ferry 6,7 or even 8 people most of the times, be it within the city or highways and that is the reason they need bigger engines with good low end grunt. If that was your basic purpose, then the Xylo, Scorpio or even the TUV3OO Plus (with the 2.2 mHawk engine) would have fared better than the Marazzo. But that's not the case for you and Marazzo suits your need better than any of the above UVs.
Quote:
I bought the Marazzo because I will be driving alone to office most days and might do a few road trips, on which I want good mileage, especially on long drives like the Gurugram-Mumbai drive that I do occasionally. A mileage of 16 on such a drive is significantly better than a mileage of 10 that my current Scorpio LX 4WD gives
Don't tell me Sir, you have already bought the Marazzo. If that is true, then many hearty congratulations. But I fail to understand why you have been so silent. Have you already shared your booking experience, how did you zero down on the Marazzo, which variant, price break-up etc? Or have I missed it. We all deserve to know these details. So please share them here if you don't mind. I am also very keen on the Marazzo, not immediately but 2 years down the line when my TUV3OO would be completing 5 years and by that time Marazzo would have stabilized well.
Old 14th October 2018, 13:28   #698
BHPian

Quote:
. You have summed it up very well. @ HighwayofLife, I wanted to explain you the same thing. A people mover is expected to ferry 6,7 or even 8 people most of the times, be it within the city or highways and that is the reason they need bigger engines with good low end grunt. If that was your basic purpose, then the Xylo, Scorpio or even the TUV3OO Plus (with the 2.2 mHawk engine) would have fared better than the Marazzo. But that's not the case for you and Marazzo suits your need better than any of the above UVs.

Agree somewhat, though if you see the recent trend in taxi operators buying Ertigas wholesale for city operations, it defies this point. I think the only thing that counts for them is how many people can be fitted and the cost/km, which is lower with the Marazzo. Ergo, they're likely to buy the Marazzo in numbers if it proves itself in the next year or so, as a reliable people mover

Quote:
Don't tell me Sir, you have already bought the Marazzo. If that is true, then many hearty congratulations. But I fail to understand why you have been so silent. Have you already shared your booking experience, how did you zero down on the Marazzo, which variant, price break-up etc? Or have I missed it. We all deserve to know these details. So please share them here if you don't mind. I am also very keen on the Marazzo, not immediately but 2 years down the line when my TUV3OO would be completing 5 years and by that time Marazzo would have stabilized well.

Thanks Mate. I should correct myself and say that I've booked a Marazzo. I'll give a quick summary of my TD Experience here and put in a full thread once the car is delivered in another month or so. I've leased it from my company's lease partner, so no down-payment in any case

Test Drive: I had already had a short test drive of the Marazzo with my wife. When I saw the lease cost numbers, at just about 7% higher per month, the Innova Crysta GX Automatic started to look attractive all of a sudden. So, to fully test the vehicles and make a proper decision, my wife and I, my bro-in-law (wife's brother) and his wife, mom-in-law, and my son did a TD of Crysta, Hexa, and Marazzo on the same day. My bro-in-law and I are the same height and roughly built the same (about 6'3" and big built). Here are my impressions:

Toyota Innova Crysta: The first impression I got in the vehicle is that the driver's seat doesn't go all the way back. Toyota seems to have built the vehicle assuming that a relatively short chauffeur will be driving the owner around in most cases and built the car accordingly. My bro-in-law was quite unimpressed with the front passenger seat for the same reason. Once we started the car and drove off, the 2.8 L engine was pretty impressive. It has a lot of power on command and the vehicle accelerates well. However, for whatever reason, the vehicle revs a lot when changing gears. I can't imagine that this will do good things for the mileage the vehicle delivers. Add to this, the fact that the GX doesn't come with a head unit. My wife and were quite clear about removing the Crysta from our list

Tata Hexa: The first impression is of plushness. The Hexa is a big car, and feels luxurious. The top end automatic is really nice, with a silent engine and a smooth ride, given Tata's legacy of good suspensions. the middle seat makes the occupants feel like maharajas, and the rear seat, while not bad, isn't the best. What crossed the Hexa off is the higher lease price- it's significantly higher than the Innova despite being cheaper, probably on account of the low resale value, that all Tata vehicles still suffer from, thanks to the company's past reputation

Mahindra Marazzo: The first good thing about the TD experience was the courtesy and professional attitude of the staff at Koncept Mahindra, Gurugram. The first impression of this car for me, from this TD and the previous one was the sense of airiness of the cabin. The light coloured seat cover material definitely augments this, as do the big windows. The best part for all of us was the way every row of seats has good leg-room, and nothing feels tacky. Overall, family was happy the moment they sat in the vehicle. The vehicle feels good to drive- I was apprehensive about the 1.5 L engine initially, but the drive does not make one feel like it is a small engine. Koncept was very kind to allow me a long test drive on Gurgaon-Faridabad road, which let me really test out the vehicle's handling, and all I can say is that I came away impressed- the vehicle is wonderful to drive, and simply glides over pot-holes and bumps. The engine did not feel stressed on the slopes. The AC worked excellently at cooling the car, which was fully heated thanks to being parked in the sun on a hot day. Overall, we felt good, and I booked right away paying a token sum, assuring delivery, while I got paperwork completed in the office. I'm eagerly awaiting delivery and will keep the group posted once I receive it
HighwayofLife is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 09:47   #699
BHPian

I am not sure if the Marazzo has reached Bangalore showrooms. But I saw a freshly unloaded Pearl white car near Hebbal junction today morning on the way to work.

It looked like a typical cabbies vehicle in pearl white, I couldn't make it out until i reached close to it hence couldn't stop in time for some pics.

Last edited by FURY_44 : 18th October 2018 at 09:53.
FURY_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2018, 15:26   #700
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
It looked like a typical cabbies vehicle in pearl white, I couldn't make it out until i reached close to it hence couldn't stop in time for some pics.
I think that because the Innova and Xylo were successfully used by commercial operators, we have developed the wrong impression on this segment. Fact is that these vehicles are the most comfortable cars around, for moving an extended family or large groups over long distances

If that describes your application, then an MUV suits better than any other vehicle, even if the other vehicle looks "smarter"
Old 19th October 2018, 17:05   #701
BHPian

I just test drove a Mahindra Marazzo and Tata Hexa in the last couple of days. I currently own a Mahindra XUV500.

Here are my impressions on the Mahindra Marazzo (any implied comparisons are with Hexa and the XUV)

1. Overall, this is a great car! Yes, there are a few missing features and bugs, but I always look at cars based on value for money. In my mind, the Marazzo beats the Innova Crysta on value

2. Interiors - Hard plastics in most places except the armrest on the doors. But, the interior is tastefully done (by Mahindra standards).

3. Practicality and Space - Lots of storage spaces. The centre console is a letdown in my mind. Putting long armrests in kinda forced them to get rid of the obligatory box. Although the Marazzo's dimensions are similar to that of the XUV, it feels a little smaller - the second row in the XUV definitely has more leg room. The 2nd row seat tumble is sweet and getting into the third row wasn't a hassle (coming from a tall and wide dude).

4. Ergonomics - Hit and miss. The gear lever while easy to operate is a stretch. Thigh support for drivers seat is low. The second row seat backrest is short (I am 6' 3" and I felt the backrest didn't go up high enough. It is better in the XUV. After seeing the XUV's third row seats fold flush into the floor, it was a little bit of a letdown to see the Marazzo's third row jutting out (The Hexa is better, but the third row doesn't fold flat)

5. Engine and Drive - The engine is fine. This is a 10-13 lakh car. I don't expect an engine that would send my tyres spinning. It suits this vehicle. I loved the XUV's 2.2 mHawk, but I have to say that Marazzo's 1.5 is even better. It is generally silent with no vibrations while XUV and Hexa are not. The steering feels awkward without leather, but otherwise looked better than even the XUV's. The steering is LIGHT!!! While it is kinda nice inside the city, it was a little unnerving at higher speeds (a little vague at the centre). The gear box and clutch were sweet (read: light). The clutch travel is a bit annoying. Brakes were fine.

6. Ride - After driving an XUV for 4+ years, the Hexa was a revelation in terms of ride. I had never experienced such good ride quality in an SUV/MUV (including the old and new Innovas). The Marazzo is about as good as the Hexa. No rattling noises or thuds filter in. To sum it up, the driving experience in the Marazzo beats Hexa and the XUV and even the Innova Crysta

7. Safety - I wish Mahindra had loaded up the top-end variant with more airbags and electronics. It falls short on this front.
kovilkalai is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 18:28   #702
Senior - BHPian

I could not understand the motive of Mahindra behind giving TUV plus 2.2L engine and not using the same engine on Marazzo which is priced almost in the same bracket.
Old 19th October 2018, 18:29   #703
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This just in from Mahindra:

Quote:
The company today announced that the Marazzo has garnered 10,000+ bookings.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th October 2018, 21:44   #704
BHPian

I am definitely considering exchanging my XUV for the Marazzo. The only irritant... The top-end model doesn't come with a bench seat in the second row!

On a related note, the Innova Crysta is worse on this count. Not only does the top end model not have a bench seat option, their mid-level models are very stripped down. Marazzo's M6 model is still pretty loaded (SatNav etc. I can live without a cruise control).
kovilkalai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2018, 03:30   #705
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovilkalai View Post
I am definitely considering exchanging my XUV for the Marazzo. The only irritant... The top-end model doesn't come with a bench seat in the second row!

On a related note, the Innova Crysta is worse on this count. Not only does the top end model not have a bench seat option, their mid-level models are very stripped down. Marazzo's M6 model is still pretty loaded (SatNav etc. I can live without a cruise control).
I think there's an 8 seater variant in each trim, no? Like you say, if you don't need cruise control, the 8 seater middle variants work fine. I am leasing, so have no choice but 7 seater (8 seater will mean yellow board, if company-owned)

This is where the market segment of each vehicle becomes obvious. Mahindra is competing with the Innova, which means they have to build an 8 seater to compete (full 3-seater third row), whereas, since the Hexa is more of a Xylo competitor, they can afford to make their car a 7 seater and have a bench seat in the middle row, since the last seat is only intended to seat 2 people.

Last edited by HighwayofLife : 20th October 2018 at 03:37.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks