Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2018, 20:37   #646
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by giri1.8 View Post
Saw the car recently, have to say this is "Machine minimum man maximum" in execution ! they have focused on the passenger area more than anything else, which is great. Even the engine bay reflects this idea.

Instead of such a small engine with high horsepower, which is great for compact cars and sedans, they could have used atleast the 1.99L diesel detuned for better FE.

Small diesels on big cars return good FE, but with full load everything goes for a toss, including FE! with 7 people and luggage onboard, this might return lower fuel efficiency than a Hexa or Innova in hilly terrains(just my personal experience with small and big engines).
what is the power output for the latest honda CRV, similar size engine with 120 bhp and 300 nm of torque. Don't see a lot of people complaining that the CRV is underpowered.
Old 17th September 2018, 21:09   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Test Drove Mahindra Marazzo today. Below are a few points :
Did anyone happen to take a peek at the base variant of Marazzo? M2? Happened to watch this video review of the M2 variant and I for one really fell for the looks! No blingy chrome; the window lines, door handles, mirrors, front grille finished in black look sporty and the icing on the cake is the piano finish rear garnish which looks classy. If am interested to get a Marazzo, I would definitely give the base variant a deep hard look. The only real feature cuts, which I feel I might miss in the base variant are the steering mounted controls and electrically adjustable mirrors. Even the instrument cluster is loaded enough.

Any thoughts?

vshankarhere is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 21:56   #648
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankarhere View Post
Did anyone happen to take a peek at the base variant of Marazzo? M2? Happened to watch this video review of the M2 variant and I for one really fell for the looks! No blingy chrome; the window lines, door handles, mirrors, front grille finished in black look sporty and the icing on the cake is the piano finish rear garnish which looks classy. If am interested to get a Marazzo, I would definitely give the base variant a deep hard look. The only real feature cuts, which I feel I might miss in the base variant are the steering mounted controls and electrically adjustable mirrors. Even the instrument cluster is loaded enough.

Any thoughts?

Yes, you will only be missing on the convenience and styling features.

Good thing is, you won't be compromising on the safety aspect. So, won't be a bad option at all. This is another aspect that Mahindra got it spot on.

Last edited by prakash_ajp : 17th September 2018 at 21:57. Reason: Removing the video from the quoted text
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:06   #649
Senior - BHPian

The top spec Lodgy retails at 15.5 Lacs in Bangalore which is 2lacs cheaper than M8. To me this is the car which can get closest to Marazzo interms of specs, dimensions etc. So is Marazzo worth the extra penny?
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:37   #650
Senior - BHPian

I saw the Marazzo on road today & I must say I'm impressed with the overall stance of the the MUV.
It cannot match Hexa & Innova Crysta in terms of road presence, but can't be dismissed as small people mover like the Ertiga.
It is as big as old Innova, the benchmark. Would definitely recommend it to any middle class family looking for a sturdy vehicle & abundant service centers.
CARDEEP is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 22:39   #651
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The top spec Lodgy retails at 15.5 Lacs in Bangalore which is 2lacs cheaper than M8.So is Marazzo worth the extra penny?
I would say yes due to the following reasons: -

1. Smoother engine and a slicker 6 speed gearbox.
2. Better space in the last row.
3. Better after-sales support and resale.
4. Better brakes.
n.devdath is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th September 2018, 23:25   #652
BHPian

I test drove the Innova Crysta Z AT today and had driven the Marazzo about 5 days back.
The Crysta looks better inside out, even the interior of the G version of Crysta has a more premium feel than the Marazzo. But the Marazzo itself has raised the benchmark of Mahindra to a new level. But I find the handbrake design little stupid and avoidable. Marazzo M8 has a white interior (not even biege). This would be difficult to maintain in our hot, sweaty, dusty climate.

The Crysta had a harder steering, poorer ride quality than the Marazzo. I could also feel the bulk of Crysta while driving.
Whereas the Marazzo controls are really light. The steering, clutch, gear are all very light and soft, that it feels like a car. Maybe that is why I didnt feel the bulk of the Marazzo as much as the Crysta. The ride quality, specially of the third row is much better in the Marazzo.

The third row space isnt very greatly different in the two. The Crysta third row is a little more wider and would seat 3 more easily. But in the Crysta, you would sit in a more knee up position than the Marazzo. The Crysta, of course trumps the Marazzo in boot space.

With three persons on board, I did not feel any lack of power in Marazzo. It pulled neatly from as low as 20kmph in the third gear(didnt see the rpm). It could also manage the 2nd gear hump test without problems. But how it would perform on an uphill with a full load of passengers and luggage needs to be seen. But what is on offer would be enough for 90% of the use case for us living in plains. There is that added savings on the fuel efficiency front too.

The Marazzo M8 doesnt offer a 2nd row bench seat just as in Crysta Z. I fail to fathom the logic behind it.

What would I buy? The Crysta G is about 2.5-3 lakhs more than the Marazzo M8. Iam in the market for a 7-8 seater, I would still prefer the Crysta as it offers some boot space in addition adequately spacious passenger seats making it a more complete van. Also the Crysta G has an automatic option. The Marazzo is also a new offering from Mahindra and I would like to wait atleast 6 months till Mahindra sorts out the inital niggles.

The Marazzo M8 at 17.5 on road in my town is, I felt a bit expensive. Around 15 on road would have been more ideal. The current pricing actually makes the market dud Lodgy look more valuable. Except for Renault's reliability, service centre infamy and the age old design, there doesnt seem to be any other major flaws in the Lodgy. The same goes for BRV. BRV has a more usable boot than Marazzo and still smaller, hence better for our cities.

From my old Figo, I sorely missed a lane change indicator and six speed intermittent wiper in the Marazzo.

I suspect,depending on the market response, Mahindra will launch a M10 with all the bells and whistles. The automatic gear is though a long way off. It will come only in 2020.

All in all, the Mahindra has cleverly positioned the Marazzo to occupy the space left vacant by the old Innova. Does it manage to do that? I think so.
Deep Blue is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 11:45   #653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
The top spec Lodgy retails at 15.5 Lacs in Bangalore which is 2lacs cheaper than M8. To me this is the car which can get closest to Marazzo interms of specs, dimensions etc. So is Marazzo worth the extra penny?

For most people in the market, Lodgy does not exist. So, most will be comparing with the Innova and Ertiga. Besides Mahindra is not same as Renault as the former has already made a name for themselves in the people mover segment.
prakash_ajp is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 13:48   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
what is the power output for the latest honda CRV, similar size engine with 120 bhp and 300 nm of torque. Don't see a lot of people complaining that the CRV is underpowered.
There has been few posts saying CRV is underpowered on Team-bhp, once car is launched we will find more of that. Youtube reviews didn't talk much about it as they have had early access to the car(read all expense paid by the company), they wont be invited again if they point the obvious extensively.

For me power is as important as any other safety gadget on the car, as I travel lot on single lane highways with lot of heavy and long vehicles.

My current ride keeps me on my toes on such roads, hence I will never again buy car which doesn't have enough torque to pull cleanly.
giri1.8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 14:06   #655
BHPian

Had a chance to check out the Marazzo at a nearby mall.

It definitely is one of the better designs to come from Mahindra and is an improvement on all their cars except maybe the XUV500.

The space is decent and I liked the controls in general. Only the position of the USB and Aux ports in front seems to be a bit low even for the passenger to reach.

That weird Hand brake though appears to be someone just styling something differently to be different and not for any other purpose.

Attaching pictures.

Already seeing registered ones on the road saw at least 2 so far. 1 in White and one in what appears to be their signature purple.

Note: The crowd was huge so couldn't get the greatest pictures.
And the steering wheel has 4 separate scrollers, each for a different function apparently.
Someone who doesn't get the controls will spend a lot of time fumbling.

The HVAC controls look like they are from the XUV parts bin
Attached Thumbnails
The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_20180908_143635__01.jpg  

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_20180908_143629.jpg  

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_20180908_143701.jpg  

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_20180908_143739.jpg  

The Mahindra Marazzo MPV. EDIT: Now launched-img_20180908_143723.jpg  

nmenon is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 16:01   #656
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbishwa View Post
BRV or Ertiga (old or new) cannot be compared with Marazzo, at least for it's seating comforts. BRV doesn't offer good thigh support, only two adsults in second row. If someone has petrol engine in mind, it is useless comparing it with only diesel Marazzo.

For an MPV the best part is its long drive comfort and Marazzo offers all: one of the best seating comfort, good ingress and egress, silent cabin and good fuel economy. Pls appreciate M&M for such an indigenous world-class product. It would definitely be cheap to maintain and hope would be reliable also.
With all due respect, I will compare the Marazzo with any car that suits my requirement, considering the ergonomics of my family in particular. And I said in my post, my 6 adults and 2 kids in my family were completely happy inside the BR-V. Two of those adults used the 3rd row for a very long test drive and they were very vocal about how comfortable it is back there.

On the contrary, they sat in the Marazzo (just today by the way), and quickly declared that the legroom was not enough. And sure enough the rear wheel wells and the 2nd row seat rails muck with the leg room in the 3rd row of the Marazzo.

Regarding second row shoulder room in the Marazzo, I will reserve judgement until I get to test out the bench seat with my family.

On other aspects, I will agree with you that the cabin noise is quite muted in the Marazzo. Also, the engine pulls quite well even in 4th and 5th gears.

But, engine power is secondary to me to usable cabin space and comfort and usable boot with all seats up. These are the primary criteria for me. Also, I have no preference between diesel and petrol. But, I sure would vote for an automatic transmission over a manual one. With these criteria in mind, the BR-V is definitely ahead of the Marazzo in my mind. The last row in the BR-V even reclines quite a bit to aid comfort.

P.S.

After my initial showroom visit, the car was brought to me today afternoon so that my family could sit in it. They could not accompany me on the 40 KM test drive as they were busy. Plus, there is no point without the bench which is what we will need to assess our comfort given our usage.

Last edited by mohansrides : 18th September 2018 at 16:06.
mohansrides is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 16:13   #657
BHPian

Just back from a short test drive (Bagmane Tech park, CV Raman Nagar, Bangalore) and came back pretty impressed with the way the vehicle drove!

Without repeating what others have already mentioned, couple of things that was impressive are as below:

Refinement! yes, the engine was super smooth (for a diesel engine) with absolutely no clatter (at start up) or vibration.
Engine was silent but I could still hear the typical diesel hum. Revved it up and could hear a bit of the turbo whine as well.
Cabin is pretty silent withall windows up. But wouldn't say it's super silent (as mentioned in some reviews) and there is a diesel hum present throughout.
You go to try the hand brake my friend! I seriously felt its sort of funny given the fact the way you hold it and release the handbrake! I know you would get used to it, but wasn't to my liking to be honest. A conventional one would have still worked in any case.
Hold the steering and you would immediately notice thin the steering rim is on a Mahindra vehicle! I think this is good given the fact that the minute you wrap it up with leather,(or any other fancy cover) the steering is going to size up perfectly fine in your palms.
The clutch!! this was a pain!! not because it was hard (infact it was super light and smooth) but due to the clutch lever travel!!! my god! I was almost slipping down from the seat pressing the clutch to its dead point
Very, very negligible lag!! This is something that was very impressive! the vehicle felt super light and responsive off the block (with only two people in the cabin that is..). Even in second gear, the vehicle pulled neatly with instant response to the throttle input.
From the driver's point of view, the visibility is pretty good and those HUGE!( I mean it!) rear view mirrors do a good job of providing a decent view of the world at the back and on the sides.
Dashboard was okay in depth, nothing significant to really talk about (otherwise exaggerated in some reviews). However, the plastic on the dashboard flexes! Press it hard and you know what I mean.
The drive in itself was pretty decent and never does it bother you in size. For some strange reason I felt something was loose or not bolted properly as there was a irritating 'clang' from the suspension everytime the vehicle went over a speed breaker (did anyone else notice this??)
vinair is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 18:50   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Did the front co-passenger armrest interfere while working thorough the gears ? In my case my hand was constantly hitting co-passenger armrest. Too long armrest plus the seat was kept forward to give more sense of space in 2nd row while I was conducting test drive. I also found that the slot for engaging 2nd gear has longer throw.
I and my cousin both of us are 6'2" tall and were seated at front during the entire test drive, so the front passenger seat would not have been very forward. But there was another gentleman on the rear left, who had comfortable leg room. In this seat position, we didn't observe the gear lever hitting the arm rest. May be if the seat is pulled completely forward, then the gear lever hits the armrest. I come from a Bolero (251k kms) and Scorpio (46k kms), so I am used to the long throw Mahindra gear boxes. Although i felt Marazzo's gear box light and smooth.

Quote:
Front visibility : Could be better than Innova Crysta, but not the first generation Innova. Dashboard extension from base of front windshield is way too long plus the cowl could have been a bit lower. This would give even more airy ambiance in cabin.
I felt the view commanding than an Innova and Innova Crysta. I had my seat height at mid level. My cousin's regular drives are Innova/Duster/Punto, he too felt the view is more commanding than any other MUV. I agree that the dashboard is very long, but didn't obstruct the view.

Quote:
1500 rpm = 60 kmph in 5th; not sure about rpm at same speed in 6th but it was 1250 rpm IIRC. Good enough considering small motor powering a large people mover.
Had similar observations, at 100 kmph in 6th gear it was a shade below 2000 rpm.

Quote:
Me and my friend felt more body roll than my 2012 Innova, however, this was compensated by softer suspension aiding urban ride quality. Somehow, felt that brakes in Marazzo are better than my car, probably my car is on last legs of brake pads ?
The body roll in Marazzo is more than an Innova for sure. Not sure in regard to Crysta as we have driven very little around 1 yr back. Actually we wanted to do a Crysta test drive on the same day for comparison, but couldn't do so since Toyota was closed for festival. Also to note that this is the only Mahindra as of date where the ride & handling package is comfortable and pleasant to drive.

The brakes of Marazzo are defenitely inferior to any Toyota. This we are 100% sure. The car stops, but doesn't have a bite and neither it stops as quick as Toyotas do. My cousin has tested Marazzo twice at 2 different dealers and he has the same feedback of weak brakes.

Quote:
Engine bay is cramped = accurate description of what it is. Am wondering if engine oil filter replacement would need the hoses to removed. This 1.5 litre diesel engine is labelled as D15 by Mahindra and has oil filter near the oil dipstick. Couldn't grab an image of the same. Battery replacement would need the air filter to be removed.
Spot on observations, I personally felt this would be an issue at the maintenance in long term. In the XUV itself service technicians struggle due to the cramped set up.

Quote:
Innova GX 7-seater 2.4 costs around 17.5 lakh OTR and approximate on road price of Marazzo M8 is 15.5 lakh. Around 2 lakh difference is not small enough to ignore. However, Innova has many things going for it from larger more effortless engine to brand image, pleasant ownership experience with good anticipated resale adding to the equation. Marazzo should have been price lower, specially M6 variant.
Long term durability is no doubt guaranteed a Toyota any day. The Marazzo makes a good buy for people who would use around 15k kms per year and want a spacious comfortable car to travel with a big family. The M2 & M4 variants are good value for money. The M8 is close to Innova Crysta Gx, where in the Toyota would be more well-engineered, durable, reliable, hassle free service and a strong resale. For example a 2 lakh km run Innova will still have a huge demand in the used car market, where as a Mahindra even though well maintained and trouble free, after 1 lakh kms its tough to find a good resale price.

For heavy runners of 20k to 40 k kms per year, a Toyota only will make sense, since it will be fill it - drive it kind of machine.
Herbie98 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th September 2018, 21:42   #659
BHPian

Mahindra has put up a test drive stall in our tech park. Looks like they are aggressive in marketing it before new Ertiga launch. Liked the overall design of the car except the tail lamps. They might have already got an idea by now on what to change on first facelift . I also wished they had the 2.2 mhalk with 6 speed auto of xuv.
vvvinod is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2018, 12:44   #660
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Dubai is a favorite choice of Mahindra for its vehicle's TVCs.

Earlier the Scorpio TVC was shot in the desert dunes.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks