Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2011, 11:02   #91
BHPian

Re: Using Reverse Horn. Good or Bad?

It becomes more irritating when someone reverses near places of worship. I hear film songs and Jingles blaring every sunday at church when someone in the adjacent parking lot decides to move out.
Old 6th May 2011, 11:11   #92
BHPian

My first car during my college days was a Modified Premier Padmini in which I had a custom separate switch to ON/OFF reverse horn. When reversing in crowded areas its switched on and when trying to sneak in to my home after a late night movie its switched off (Didn't want to disturb my dad or vice versa) Now am thinking of the same for my vista.
Old 6th May 2011, 14:30   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
Its no joke,a driving school instructor nearby thinks the purpose of the reverse horn is to make the driver aware that the car has been engaged into reverse gear properly and not into some other gear and advises to release the brake lever only after you hear the reverse horn,so that makes the reverse horn an essential component of cars driven by pass-outs from his driving school.
Could not stop my self from lol, after reading this. Driving schools in india are a big joke. I will not divert the discussion here, i agree to the fact that reverse horns are of no use, and irritate everyone around day or night. It becomes much nastier in some of the apartments where the parking slots are badly designed. I have seen people struggling to get in or get out of their parking slots. Imagine these guys having a reverse horn. (Nightmarish for those nearby).
Old 6th May 2011, 16:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Some years back, the Tata Sumo (and even some Tata trucks) used to have factory-fitted reverse horn that had a soothing, continuous sound (not the intermittent type). The horn served its purpose well, without really disturbing anyone.

Don't know why they've stopped fitting it now.
My '99 Sierra Turbo has this. I really appreciate it, emits a low tone, continuous, single beep-like sound as long as reverse gear is engaged. It does the job, yet it does not irritate anyone.

Nowadays, I have seen that Tata tippers come factory-fitted with a single horn at the back. You can clearly see it mounted on the chassis cross-member. When in reverse, it emits a beep-beep intermittent sound.

IMO, like Tata, all auto manufacturers need to install such non-invasive reverse horns in their products, which will automatically put an end to this shoddy industry that makes those irritating jingle/hindi tune/squawking horns.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:12   #95
mxx
BHPian

I think it is the most useless and irritating accessory available in the market today. Should be banned IMO.
Old 6th May 2011, 16:47   #96
Team-BHP Support

Our M800 had a reverse horn which had a on/off button so we'd put it on only when we were in a crowded place.

The Zen however had a reverse horn fitted as a freebie and doesn't have the on/off feature. Been planning to take it off since long!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtdvl View Post
My first car during my college days was a Modified Premier Padmini in which I had a custom separate switch to ON/OFF reverse horn. When reversing in crowded areas its switched on and when trying to sneak in to my home after a late night movie its switched off (Didn't want to disturb my dad or vice versa) Now am thinking of the same for my vista.
As per a car accessory fellow and mechanics at Sai Service, pune, reverse horns with the on/off button are very prone to getting damaged and hence they don't recommend it. On the M800, we must've changed the horn 3-4 times under warranty. Then, just took it off. On the Zen, it has been working since 5.5 years.
Old 6th May 2011, 17:31   #97
BHPian

Its an absolute NUISANCE at anytime of the day and at any place. My car came equipped with it but thankfully had a switch and beleive me I have never had to use it... NEVER USED A REVERSE HORN IN the LAST 15 years of driving.. SO WHY NOW! In fact when I first got the car and realised it had a reverse horn I went straight to the mech to get it removed but he pointed out that it was connected to a button

And frankly there is this 1 guy in my apartment complex who iritates the hell out of everyone! A lot of us actually want to go and cut the wiring for it while he is asleep!
sarmarishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2011, 17:34   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Its an absolute NUISANCE at anytime of the day and at any place. My car came equipped with it but thankfully had a switch and believe me I have never had to use it... NEVER USED A REVERSE HORN IN the LAST 15 years of driving.. SO WHY NOW! In fact when I first got the car and realised it had a reverse horn I went straight to the mech to get it removed but he pointed out that it was connected to a button

And frankly there is this 1 guy in my apartment complex who iritates the hell out of everyone! A lot of us actually want to go and cut the wiring for it while he is asleep!
Could not have agreed more, I feel the same about a neighbor of mine who enjoys announcing that he is leaving for work. I feel this should be banned from the manufacturers end.

Best - ML
Old 7th May 2011, 00:46   #99
BHPian

IMHO, a reverse horn is a BIG NO. It is downright irritating and a big nuisance. You can use your "forward horn" when needed!
Old 7th May 2011, 01:22   #100
Senior - BHPian

The reverse horn in Mumbai is actually banned by the RTO. If a traffic police hears one he is ready to fine then and there, had paid once. Well it is actually very irritating but sometimes it is handful when there are a lot of people around and you are reversing the car, people around the car back off otherwise one has to keep pressing the horn again and again. Modern day car don't come prefitted with these horn. Earlier in my Indica it had Autocop XS installed, so whenever reverse gear was engaged the horn would start sounding but if you wanted to switch if off one could do it using the Autocop remote(Press the centre key and then press the unlock button, the horn would switch off until the car is locked via remote).
Old 7th May 2011, 03:24   #101
BHPian

I dont like it,its a nuisance,most useless and irrittating device.
Old 7th May 2011, 08:46   #102
BHPian

I am sure the new cars does not come with reverse horns. Mumbai RTO had banned it long time back I think. I find it quite irritating. Some say that its loud noise alerts the people to move out of the way but the normal horn also works that way. I have been driving since 2004 and never have I felt the need of louder noise to alert the people. Just imagine you are in a mall's parking lot and 3-4 cars are reversing simultaneously with reverse horns. I think reverse horns serve ni purpose as normal horns can do the job.
Old 7th May 2011, 11:33   #103
BHPian

I feel reverse horns have their uses in crowded places. Reversing can be a pain in such places especially when you are alone in the car. People would just keep coming without noticing your car. And, if you sound your normal horn, they look everywhere else other than at your car.

I also prefer reverse horns which can be turned off when not required. The only problem is getting a reliable horn. Members who can recommend reliable brands please help.
Old 7th May 2011, 12:52   #104
BHPian

Reverse horns in any form is an irritant to me.

One of my neighbors has this and I think it is one that comes with the remote lock. The horn is forward facing under the bonnet of the car so anybody behind the car is not warned but anybody in front of the car gets an earful.

To top that he is a very new and bad driver who comes back late at night and then reverses his car in after about 15 attempts.

Also another observation of mine is that with too many cars having reverse horns, people do not just bother to move.
Old 7th May 2011, 13:18   #105
BHPian

I guess one good way will be to place a normal horn under the rear bumper with a separate switch on the dash board.

Now while reversing , one can sound this horn in the rear as and when required.

Last edited by mitrajdeep : 7th May 2011 at 13:39. Reason: the previous post got posted twice so changed the content

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks