Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2016, 08:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Rumour: Chevrolet Enjoy MPV to be discontinued in India

Quote:
  • General Motors will be discontinuing the Chevrolet Enjoy MPV in India
  • The company has also scrapped plans of launching the Spin MPV which would have replaced the Enjoy
  • Owing to poor sales, GM will now concentrate on exports, which have proved to be lucrative for them
Link: https://www.motorbeam.com/2016/06/ca...-mpv-in-india/
sidindica is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 09:20   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rumour: Chevrolet Enjoy MPV to be discontinued in India

Enjoy never looked like an MPV to me-I always felt that it was too small to be called an MPV

With just 300 odd per month sales, It would've been difficult for them to manage this product.
Also the likes of Ertiga, BRV and Lodgy would be tough to beat.
"Sometimes its wiser to accept defeat in a particular area and focus on your strengths" May be this was the thought behind this decision.
But on the other side, when you know that 1 out of every 4 cars sold in the country is an UV, it feels like they gave up too soon with the Enjoy and the Spin

Anyway, I will be interesting to see how sucessful GM and Chevrolet will be in their export-focused strategy

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 22nd June 2016 at 09:33.
hemanth.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:45   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

All I can say is good riddance to bad rubbish. It was a half-baked product. Our official review clearly mentioned at the start that:

Quote:
Not as well-rounded as the Ertiga. Several loose ends that need tying up
A product isn't sustainable when it sells merely 231 & 277 units a month (April & May respectively). Along with this cheap Chinese car, I'd suggest GM to get rid of the Sail twins (U-VA & sedan) who are already on ventilator support.

Get some great cars here, GM. Such lacklustre products will never sell in a market that's more mature than ever before.

Perform or perish. The writing is on the wall.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 11:48   #4
BHPian

Seems like GM never learned from their past mistakes with Opel - or is it just their Chinese partner calling the shots now?
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:03   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
Seems like GM never learned from their past mistakes with Opel - or is it just their Chinese partner calling the shots now?
When the Sail twins and the Enjoy were conceived for India, SAIC was calling the shots at GM India (given that they owned half of the company). Subsequently, In 2012, GM bought back the entire stake.

Now, GM is a complete mess. Despite multiple turnaround plans and hiring Arvind Saxena from Hyundai (and then his subsequent departure), the company hasn't gone anywhere. Unlike Ford, which despite poor sales, continues to try, GM gave up on india mentally years ago.

Despite a massive arsenal of models in their global portfolio, they've been unable to bring anything to India because of the high costs involved in tooling (they spent about $500 million on the new models back in 2011/12), and the company unwilling to bet once more on India.
djpeesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:10   #6
BHPian

Rumor: Chevrolet To Discontinue Enjoy and Sail Twins

As per a report on ET Auto, Chevrolet India will stop the production of it Enjoy MPV this month owing to poor sales. The manufacturer has also cancelled the launch of it's Spin MPV due to the poor demand for MPVs in India.

According to other media reports, GM will also discontinue the Sail Twins in India by the end of this fiscal year. No reports on a replacement has came out now though the Sail sedan will be replaced by Essentia.

Finally, GM seems to have woken up and have started to damage control. The manufacturer has planned up 5 new launches in the next 24 months which includes Next generation Beat, Essentia, 2017 Cruze and Trailblazer facelift. Expecting the 5th vehicle to be a SUV or a MPV.

Source:- Various
YashD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 13:44   #7
BHPian

So, they created a mouth watering prospect with Cruze, accentuated it with futuristic Beat, baselined it with a capable spark and garnished it with Trailblazer. Promising, and then withering away.

Sometimes, I fail to understand how can a company become so Big with such a short sighted approach to a market like India.
Nav-i-gator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 14:20   #8
Senior - BHPian

Re: Rumor: Chevrolet To Discontinue Enjoy and Sail Twins

Beat, Cruze, Tavera and Trailblazer of which Beat might get some life in 2017 while all others are old / very old products !

- What do the dealers sell during the festive season this year ! they don't have to, the dealers can also extend holiday to their staff.

- The condition is very similar to Toyota NCR dealers with only Altis on sale, Etios is not moving and Innova they cannot sell.

Is there some Chevy India strategy or their regional directors are enjoying life out of Singapore office.

Chevy, Fiat etc were the names to recon with (atleast in the Indian market - 70's and 80's) and now there is nothing from them for the Indian masses.

I don't think Indian market is so unattractive for these manufacturers !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 15:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YashD View Post

Finally, GM seems to have woken up and have started to damage control. The manufacturer has planned up 5 new launches in the next 24 months which includes Next generation Beat, Essentia, 2017 Cruze and Trailblazer facelift. Expecting the 5th vehicle to be a SUV or a MPV.

Source:- Various
Yash,
GM are not up yet.
Their slumber is too deep and its best left as is.

Essentia, Facelift Beat, 2017 Cruze and the Trailblazer are all flops and Dead on Arrival.

Refer to various posts on the Beat Facelift and the Cruze 2017.
Why are we still flogging .

No sense and the GM management have gone insane.
They have a capable house of potent products that India may lap up.
Bring on the Vauxhalls and the Opel derived cars.
The Adam, Astra, Sonic Twins all have good potential.

But unfortunately, GM still treats India as a third world country and all we get is Chinese crap and no wonder, are rejected.

They are in a limbo. Get poor products and launch them as new. Market rejects them. They discontinue it. India becomes a poor/non profitable market. Get some more old half baked SAIC stuff.
The cycle is repeated and the loop gets closed!!!
Old 22nd June 2016, 16:56   #10
E63
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Yash,
GM are not up yet.
Their slumber is too deep and its best left as is.

Essentia, Facelift Beat, 2017 Cruze and the Trailblazer are all flops and Dead on Arrival.

Refer to various posts on the Beat Facelift and the Cruze 2017.
Why are we still flogging .

No sense and the GM management have gone insane.
They have a capable house of potent products that India may lap up.
Bring on the Vauxhalls and the Opel derived cars.
The Adam, Astra, Sonic Twins all have good potential.

But unfortunately, GM still treats India as a third world country and all we get is Chinese crap and no wonder, are rejected.

They are in a limbo. Get poor products and launch them as new. Market rejects them. They discontinue it. India becomes a poor/non profitable market. Get some more old half baked SAIC stuff.
The cycle is repeated and the loop gets closed!!!

Any particular reason for calling the 2017 Cruze dead on arrival?
E63 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 17:37   #11
BHPian

We have this Enjoy in our office as inter office shuttle. Ride quality, seats, suspension, looks are below par or poor. Certainly "No joy" even for short city rides.

I still remember sharing "Team-BHP" official review link and saying not to buy this car to one of the friendly HR guys in our office who is also in-charge of transport section. May be due to low cost (not really!) they went ahead and purchased only to realize its shortcomings.
Nempuguru is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 17:53   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is the new Cruze being already labelled as a market failure? Cruze owners I have interacted are all happy with their cars and I feel it still can hold its own against the other D segment cars.
drmohitg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 18:42   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think Cruze still might be an aspirational car for those who know what its engine is capable of. Just saw the new Cruze pictures and I think it looks sensational. The Chinese Sail twins and Enjoy were really a classic case of dumping them in India and I am glad we Indians have rejected these.

GM and others must stop treating us Indians as a cheap population who is ready to accept anything that you throw at them and must get their global portfolio to be successful. I felt that even Toyota and Honda tried something similar by over pricing most of their not so great products and have finally come to realize that we demand quality now and are ready to buy some world class products if we are offered these at competitive prices. Its not surprising that most of the big names in the world have not really succeeded in selling cars here in as many numbers as they thought they should have, precisely due to this dumping of cheap products at high prices on us.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd June 2016 at 10:59. Reason: Typos
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 19:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

GM must be the only company to have such a wide range of cars and yet have such less sales! I mean come to think of it, they had the spark, Beat, Sail twins. Tavera, Enjoy, Cruze and even the trail blazer. Each of these products were of high volume segments in their own right and yet none of the Chevy products failed to even ignite any sort of excitement. The only car I think did not get its due was the Beat, since it was a sort of a funky little car with snazzy interiors and stood out from the crowd. If they had a diesel and automatic from day one probably it would have had some impact.
Chevrolet as a brand is back to ground zero. GM had a huge opportunity with Chevrolet and when they replaced Opel with this, it was actually a great move since Chevrolet had high recall. But the product range has been dismal and I think they are selling lower than even what VW does with just 3-4 cars.
motorworks is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2016, 20:25   #15
BHPian

Well, to me, it seems Chevy India has adopted a new guru for its product launching and marketing strategies in India. The guru is "Fiat India".

No new products over the years, old war horses being rechristened as "all new" and expecting them to do a fortune turnaround. Both having wonderful machines and cutting edge capabilities across the Globe, but nothing new to offer in India. Fiat at least has a way of earning its bread here, by licensing the MJD engine copyrights, but how about Chevy???

Well, I can only wish Chevy and Fiat "have a good sleep together at the back bench".

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks