Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 14:32   #1
BHPian

Mercedes C-Class: Silent recall for the Airbag control unit

Just received a letter from Mercedes. There seems to be some issue with the SRS unit. Scary. And all this time i was blissfully thinking that i am safe!
Mercedes C-Class: Silent recall for the Airbag control unit-merc-letter.png
earthian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 16:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Do Mercedes have confidence in the C, E & S Class?

Is there an official announcement of this recall? How can one check if their Merc needs rectification ?
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2016, 16:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Is there an official announcement of this recall? How can one check if their Merc needs rectification ?
If you mean a widely publicised announcement, then i dont think so. I got this letter a few days back and hence it could be on selected models, year of manufacture, or specific vendor related component. Best is to check with your service station.
Mine is a C class 2008
earthian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:02   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mercedes C-Class: Silent recall for the Airbag control unit

Seems to be the same as the recall they ran internationally in 2015. Your car is from the same build year.

Source

Quote:
SUMMARY: Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC. (MBUSA) is recalling certain model year 2008-2009 C300 Sedan, C300 4Matic, C63 AMG, and C350 vehicles, and 2010 GLK350 and GLK350 4Matic vehicles. Due to a manufacturing error, the air bag control unit may corrode and cause the control unit to malfunction.

CONSEQUENCE: The malfunctioning air bag control unit may cause the air bags to unexpectedly deploy increasing the risk of injury and the possibility of a vehicle crash. Alternatively, the air bag control unit malfunction may cause the air bags to not deploy in the event of a crash necessitating air bag deployment, increasing the risk of occupant injury.

REMEDY: MBUSA will notify owners, and dealers will inspect the air bag control unit and replace it, as necessary, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact MBUSA customer service at 1-800-367-6372.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 14:07   #5
BHPian

Guys i need some help with this weird issue with our 2009 C220 CDI that happened last week:

On Friday 22nd April when my younger sister was going to college the driver side window for no reason exploded while driving on the highway. Due to the sudden loud explosion the car almost got out of control but luckily was controlled before any tragedy could happen. Generally she drives herself but luckily on friday our old & trusted driver was driving who was able to handle the situation. Had my sister been driving anything could have happened.

The workshop has confirmed to us that the car's onboard computers show that there was no warning given by the car before this incident happened.

There was not a single vehicle around the car when it happened and the car was on a flyover at that time so there is no possibility of anything hitting the window.

Mercedes has responded to our complaint and sent their engineer to check the car but he couldnt find anything. We are confused as to what should be done next and are scared of this happening again or any other such freak incident. Imagine what could happen if you are driving on the highway and all of a sudden there is an explosion right next to your face and your window shatters on its own.

Along with this i should ask them to carry out the airbag fault repair as well
Old 4th May 2016, 03:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
Guys i need some help with this weird issue with our 2009 C220 CDI that happened last week:

On Friday 22nd April when my younger sister was going to college the driver side window for no reason exploded while driving on the highway. Due to the sudden loud explosion the car almost got out of control but luckily was controlled before any tragedy could happen. Generally she drives herself but luckily on friday our old & trusted driver was driving who was able to handle the situation. Had my sister been driving anything could have happened.

The workshop has confirmed to us that the car's onboard computers show that there was no warning given by the car before this incident happened.

There was not a single vehicle around the car when it happened and the car was on a flyover at that time so there is no possibility of anything hitting the window.

Mercedes has responded to our complaint and sent their engineer to check the car but he couldnt find anything. We are confused as to what should be done next and are scared of this happening again or any other such freak incident. Imagine what could happen if you are driving on the highway and all of a sudden there is an explosion right next to your face and your window shatters on its own.

Along with this i should ask them to carry out the airbag fault repair as well
It does happen. Nothing to do with the airbags though. And I don't think the on-board computer can detect such an event. The glass could have been weakened by previous damage/wear and tear. Even minor damage can lead to glass breakage over the long term (apparently it all adds up - several minor damages can accumulate over a long period and break the glass).

It can be caused by many reasons:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sponta...glass_breakage

http://www.constructionspecifier.com...o-do-about-it/

http://adventureautoglass.com/auto-g...ng-real-story/

http://educationcenter.ppg.com/glass..._breakage.aspx

It happened to my dad in his old Toyota Corolla (ages ago, sometime in the early 1990s), the driver's side window suddenly shattered as we were driving, and as far as I can recall no fault could be found.

Back to the thread topic - about the recall, seems to be related to the 2015 recall due to the same issue; the models involved were sold between 2006 and 2008.

http://www.recalls.gov.au/content/in...itemId/1084465

Last edited by Jeeper1941 : 4th May 2016 at 03:25. Reason: Edited to add web links.
Jeeper1941 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2016, 07:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
If you mean a widely publicised announcement, then i dont think so. I got this letter a few days back and hence it could be on selected models, year of manufacture, or specific vendor related component. Best is to check with your service station.
Mine is a C class 2008
Even I have received a letter for the replacement of the SRS airbags.
Mine too is a 2008 model.
AMG_ang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks