Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2016, 21:07   #61
BHPian

I had found under-thigh support to be a bit lacking on the rear seats and I am just 5'8''. The Imperio from Mahindra had much better under-thigh support on rear seats but had a very straight back.
Also just due to being a pickup, the rear bench does feel a little claustrophobic just in the beginning, but that's true for all vehicles across the segment. Don't know how well it will go with other family members.
I had heard that the commercial double cab version will be running a detuned version of the engine without an intercooler unlike the earlier versions sold till now which came with the same stonker of an engine as the V-cross and that just pisses me off as a potential customer.

Last edited by rdst_1 : 30th April 2016 at 21:09.
Old 1st May 2016, 10:29   #62
BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Official page of TDP(link below) suggests government has offered exemption from road tax for Isuzu vehicles in state as an incentive to attract investment, is that true ?
https://www.facebook.com/TDP.Officia...85477194799202
TDP official page?

Please don't take that page seriously. Don't think AP govt can give such tax benefits to a selected car manufacturer.
Old 1st May 2016, 17:15   #63
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs

Short preview by OverDrive:

Quote:
The V-Cross will be available in only one trim and gets a long list of features for a pick-up. This includes automatic climate control with a pollen filter, a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system (with USB, aux, DVD as well as Bluetooth compatibility). There’s also a 6-way adjustable driver seat, electrically adjustable ORVMs, audio controls on the steering wheel and lots of storage space. The rear seats also get Isofix points as well as a 60:40 split option.

The updated 2.5-litre turbodiesel engine produces 320Nm of torque. The short drive at Isuzu’s temporary test track showcased that the engine has ample of low down pulling power with it being unstressed even when driven at 20kmph in third gear. The engine is also a silent unit compared to its rivals and the sound insulation inside the cabin was impressive. Isuzu’s 5-speed gearbox unit offers smooth shifts but the throws are long. Given that the company projects this as a sporty lifestyle offering, the throws could have been shorter.

Our short drive showed that the power steering wheel is a tad on the heavier side and displays some strong steering kickback. Typical of ladder frame chassis, the Isuzu D-Max V-Cross displays some body-roll but is controlled and not a concern. Ride quality is slightly bumpy but is acceptable considering the size of the vehicle and the fact that the V-Cross feature leaf-springs at the rear.While there was no opportunity to test its off-road skills, Isuzu is offering the V-Cross with 4×4 that can be shifted on the fly by simply turning a knob.
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzudmaxvcross8.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzudmaxvcross2.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:08   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Short preview by OverDrive:
The V-Cross will be available in only one trim and gets a long list of features for a pick-up.
WOW. This seems to be the most daring and aggressive approach from any automobile company in the recent times It has almost all the features that many sedans, mini SUVs have in a similar price bracket, 4x4 and looks good as well.

Can we expect Team-BHP review for this?
Old 2nd May 2016, 10:52   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuvally View Post
Finally... a proper 4x4 from a Japanese manufacturer at an affordable price. TATA should worry. This vehicle is going to rock ... impatiently waiting for your review guys...
TATAs are already a worried lot. This might be worry-some for Mahindra, though I feel that the clientele for such vehicles will be from a sector that is different from XUV or Scorpio wannabes. Scorpio Gateaway and Xenon XT will suffer a bit though.
sourabhzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 13:34   #66
Senior - BHPian

In the earlier review by Motor Magazine, they mentioned the touch screen with music system and all that, what about GPS ?
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:43   #67
Distinguished - BHPian

In the meanwhile Isuzu has teamed up with Arctic Trucks to deliver this;

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzuteamsupwitharctictrucksforultimatedmax_2.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzuteamsupwitharctictrucksforultimatedmax_1.jpg

Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-isuzuteamsupwitharctictrucksforultimatedmax_3.jpg

This is a factory modified version and is sold by Isuzu

The modifications include;

- 35" Tyres (All Terrains)
- 17 " wheels (10" wide)
- Lifted Ride Height
- Fox Suspension

Inspiration for prospective buyers

Source
karan561 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 15:49   #68
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Tastefully done up I must say! Those fender flares look awesome
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:00   #69
BHPian

Tastefully Done Indeed! Arctic Trucks are not having operations in India it seems (looking at their website.). Any suggestions / leads for getting the same done in Mumbai ? Also, does increasing the Ride Height have any major effects on ride quality & cornering abilities specially on the highways?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post

This is a factory modified version and is sold by Isuzu

The modifications include;

- 35" Tyres (All Terrains)
- 17 " wheels (10" wide)
- Lifted Ride Height
- Fox Suspension

Inspiration for prospective buyers

Source
Old 2nd May 2016, 16:11   #70
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Tastefully Done Indeed! Arctic Trucks are not having operations in India it seems (looking at their website.). Any suggestions / leads for getting the same done in Mumbai ? Also, does increasing the Ride Height have any major effects on ride quality & cornering abilities specially on the highways?
You can get lift kits from a few distributors in India. If not you can have them imported yourself. Tyres and wheels can also be sourced and fabricating fender flares should not be too difficult to have done.

Obviously increasing ride height will effect cornering capabilities especially at high speeds that is simple physics.
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 17:07   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
I feel that the clientele for such vehicles will be from a sector that is different from XUV or Scorpio wannabes. Scorpio Gateaway and Xenon XT will suffer a bit though.
This is exactly the reason why I thought it might not be worrisome for Mahindra. The only hardcore SUV in their line up is the Thar and falls in a price bracket far below the D-Max. Scorpio, Bolero and XUVs are mostly bought by people who do little or no off-roading. But yes, Scorpio Getaway and Xenon XT will suffer a lot.
Despite its faults, people (including me) loved Safari because it was an able off-roader, and sadly was the only offering at the price point. Before I saw the D-Max, I was secretly hoping TATA would rebuild Safari from the ground up in the future, and make a product with comparable quality to the current Tiago. But the introduction of D-Max has changed all that.
Isuzu has come up with a vehicle plainly aimed at off road enthusiasts. Throw in the Japanese reliability and we have a winner. This might not sell in huge numbers, but I have a feeling that it will have a niche following, like the Safari did, in its heyday.

And people, please correct me, If I am wrong about XUV and Bolero not being hardcore off-road vehicles
Old 2nd May 2016, 18:34   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karuvally View Post
This is exactly the reason why I thought it might not be worrisome for Mahindra. The only hardcore SUV in their line up is the Thar and falls in a price bracket far below the D-Max. Scorpio, Bolero and XUVs are mostly bought by people who do little or no off-roading. But yes, Scorpio Getaway and Xenon XT will suffer a lot.
Despite its faults, people (including me) loved Safari because it was an able off-roader, and sadly was the only offering at the price point. Before I saw the D-Max, I was secretly hoping TATA would rebuild Safari from the ground up in the future, and make a product with comparable quality to the current Tiago. But the introduction of D-Max has changed all that.
Isuzu has come up with a vehicle plainly aimed at off road enthusiasts. Throw in the Japanese reliability and we have a winner. This might not sell in huge numbers, but I have a feeling that it will have a niche following, like the Safari did, in its heyday.

And people, please correct me, If I am wrong about XUV and Bolero not being hardcore off-road vehicles
I would like to add another angle here. This is going to attract another niche segment, the people who indulge in long term travel say 4 months on the run, covering east coast or west coast or both. This is a perfect vehicle for such people since it won't let you down in the extremes of Arunachal Pradesh, Sikkim or Spiti Valley and at the same time it has the worldly space to store enough luggage and gear you need to survive on those long trips. There is no doubt that people do that kind of trips in all sorts of vehicles including sedans but then you are limited by your vehicle's capabilities and storage space.

It's almost two years now that I have been trying to replace my Honda City with an able 4x4. You either get not enough storage (Duster AWD), or too expensive and not enough storage (XUV AWD) or not value of money (Scorpio 4x4) or really bad ride quality (Bolero 4x4).

Going by the reviews of V-Cross (Australian) and the ownership reviews of D-Max commercial vehicles, this looks like a perfect fit. Can go anywhere, can store truck load of stuff, cabin like a semi-luxury sedan and runs like crazy on the highway.
bordeaux is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 00:01   #73
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Tastefully done up I must say! Those fender flares look awesome
Indeed, but putting only fender flares & retaining stock wheels would look odd though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pineapple_ameet View Post
Many mod houses can install these lifted suspension kits, tyres etc. Also they will source it for you, if not its an easy import

In some cases the lift kit has improved the ride quality (in Fortuner) while other handling abilities may be compromised a bit.

Last edited by karan561 : 3rd May 2016 at 00:03.
karan561 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:12   #74
BHPian

Very aggressive pricing indeed.

Well, I spoke to JMD Navi Mumbai Dealer. He has shared that they will receive first batch of cars on 18th May. In fact he hinted that the price may be lesser than the one that is doing the rounds!

I own a aria that has already done 145000 Kms and I was looking for a decent replacement . The current offerings are unexciting and Hexa is still some time away.. and may be not another TATA for me . I don't mind forgoing third row of seats for a exciting ride.

I have to invite reactions to two queries

1. I wonder what kit would be available to pimp up the ride.

2. For the knowledgeable folks out there..what do u think is the implication of the rear "patti" suspension , to my mind it is old tech, how does it augur for a vehicle that is otherwise contemporary
sudhakarg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2016, 13:47   #75
BHPian

Just got a disappointing call from the Isuzu Dealership in Ludhiana. The bare bones Vcross is priced at 12.6 Lakhs Ex-Showroom, the Side- Steps, Music System and Chrome Package is part of the Accessory Package, only other add on to the package is the DBox, which is the hydraulic and lockable lid for the rear bed, and cost for the package is a whopping Rs 2.1 Lakhs.

This means that with the complete accessory package and registration costs the Vcross would be around Rs 16.4 Lakhs, which is much higher than anticipated

I was expecting at least the music system and side steps to be part of the Rs 12.6 Lakh pricing.
Attached Thumbnails
Isuzu starts production at Andhra Pradesh. Rolls out D-Max V-Cross @ 12.49 lakhs-vcross-pricing.jpg  

Hondaism is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed