Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2017, 13:43   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
I own a 4WD Duster RXZ from Feb 2015. There are two primary gripes that I have.

The first is very poor leg space at the rear. They seem to have addressed this in the Kaptur by giving more leg space and eating up some boot space.

The second is that poorly designed dashboard. The NAV/System is placed low, making you look down each time you want to see the NAV and this is risky. Secondly, there is no place to keep your phone except in the open areas on top of the dash which results in your phone literally getting baked in the hot sun.

When Duster was launched, there was virtually no competition, but now there is EcoSport, Creta, Vitara Breza, S-Cross, etc, etc..
Believe me, Ecosport is a small vehicle when compared to Duster, but interior space management is so good that you have a better legroom for the rear passengers plus the reclining seats. Duster's dashboard eats a lot of space at the front, the driver has to push his seat back to avoid interference with the dashboard, this makes the rear seat leg room very small. I definitely see a situation where Renault would reduce the lumber support on the rear seats and increase the leg room. Of course, the other things you have mentioned are already carried over to Kaptur as well.

Last edited by deehunk : 13th April 2017 at 13:46.
Old 13th April 2017, 14:57   #122
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When Duster was launched, there was virtually no competition, but now there is EcoSport, Creta, Vitara Breza, S-Cross, etc, etc..
I took delivery of a Duster AMT last week, after test driving all these cars that you've mentioned. Totally agree with all of your points, however, let me point out the following:

The EcoSport and Brezza are actually must be considered a segment lower w.r.t Duster, Creta and S-Cross with their on-road price factors.

Instead of buying a Creta I can actually buy another XUV in addition to my present one.

S-Cross 1.6 could be the real winner, but I didn't drive it because of unavailability of test car. The only other car left was the Duster, it has height as well as driving dynamics, an AMT version is available and I found it fits like a glove for my daily-drive requirements. I sincerely hope it won't give me much trouble for the anticipated 5 year/100K usage.

The upcoming Kaptur, therefore, will not affect EcoSport/Brezza/Nexon. The Duster, S-Cross, Creta and some variants of the XUV may only be considered as competition and IMHO each of these comes with a flaw or two. The S-Cross sits a bit low, Creta is overpriced and getting very common, XUV is bulky and the Duster has sad interiors.

If Renault can kit this car well and price it attractive, the Kaptur should attract prospective clientele from all other showrooms. It would be strange if it is not.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 13th April 2017 at 15:00.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th April 2017, 15:18   #123
RSR
Senior - BHPian

I spotted a camouflaged test Kaptur yesterday near Kathipara flyover. It's approximately the same size as the Duster, but looks slightly longer and shorter (in terms of height), and this may be due to the heavy camouflage. Also, the Duster comes with large roof rails as standard while the Kaptur doesn't. Renault would do well to include sleek, functional roof rails (with load carrying ability) as standard on the new Kaptur.

The Kaptur is in line with Renault's new design language, and should provide enough ammunition for Renault to take on the Creta, S-Cross and upcoming Kicks. From the rear, Kaptur does look like a grown-up Kwid (which itself looks like a kid Duster from the front), but there is no hint of Dacia's design language in the Kaptur (unlike the Duster).

I hope the interiors are a huge step up in terms of both, design & quality. Renault are also guilty of spreading out features (especially safety features) in an extremely foolish manner on the Duster. I hope they don't repeat the same with the Kaptur. And since it's going to be Renault's flagship product in India when it gets launched (Koleos & Fluence wouldn't be around by then) and also in order to take on the Creta SX(O), Renault should equip the top variant with side & curtain airbags.

Last edited by RSR : 14th April 2017 at 15:22.
RSR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th April 2017, 20:38   #124
BHPian

Captured the Renault Kaptur while on test, there were two of them actually. Both were going at a decent pace and weaving in and out of traffic effortlessly. Seems longer and lower than a Duster.
Cheers
Uday
Attached Thumbnails
The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1493478309164.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1493478343591.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1493478362586.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1493478438919.jpg  

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-1493478454371.jpg  

uday.ere is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 12:16   #125
BHPian

Interiors and Ergonomics are such a pain

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20170430110408.png
Took few screenshots from one of the russian videos of kaptur on YouTube, look at the panel gaps and finishing near the point where stalks and audio controls stick out.
The controls itself are not steering mounted, they are steering column mounted. Hunt around behind the steering. So much for the same stuff from the old Duster again. For a 15-18+ lac car (if Renault thinks so) this is unbearable stuff. How hard is it to have good quality interiors. Even rest of the interior is similarly <10L stuff, not even there I should say!

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20170430111440.png
The centre console and HU.
The console insert is finished in glossy 'piano' black with highly reflective cheap looking steelish chrome on the outside and the HU plastic finish itself is hard and rough looking. Rest of the dash in that sub par standard 'griege' plastics from the old sunny/scala/duster. Inconsistent and all-over-the-place look.
Same HU on Kwid and Kaptur. Seriously? Only the names start with K and Renault, you better end the similarities there itself.
One positive note is that it looks like a simple rectangular Double Din unit, so its a simple aftermarket swap for ₹10-30K depending on what you like. Renault HUs are anyways not well equipped. No Carplay, No MirrorLink, No Android Auto. But, still, its aftermarket at the end.
(PS. The russian text reads Volume Control. I'm not sure if the presenter had some negative/positive point on it)

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20170430111547.png
Just that you fit there, doesn't make you belong there.
Thank you for so very much well thought out ergonomics. Cruise control toggles under the handbrake! THE Renault returns!
ORVM controls under the handbrake were dismissed off as O.K by few saying most of the drivers adjust them before they start to drive and that's not a deal breaker. Sure, where will that optimism slot in here. God save Renault Kaptur only if they can relocate it somewhere.

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20170430111709.png
Reflective steel looking chrome on the Door console. Real elegance. Rich, plush, upmarket, trendy, premium, uber cool and what not.

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-screenshot_20170430111820.png
And I'm not too sure if a seat belt comes hanging down from the roof. Almost! What is it actually meant for? Would like some help from fellow bhpians! (lmage top left corner. Sorry forgot to draw an insert)

I can't see this setting sales on fire even for a short burst like Duster, simply because it isn't worth it. S-cross facelift would be there next to it by its launch time. Hope people consider other options and make Renault learn the hard way which they seem have decided to do so.

Having said that, I wish the Indian version if they choose to do so, would come with better sorted interior.
Disclaimer: I'm not an instant Renault-Phobic at all.
nagateja is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 13:28   #126
Senior - BHPian

Re: Interiors and Ergonomics are such a pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagateja View Post
The controls itself are not steering mounted, they are steering column mounted. Hunt around behind the steering.
In the TBHP review thread of the Duster or Fluence it is mentioned that this is quite ergonomic and easy to use, once one gets used to it.

Quote:
...with highly reflective cheap looking steelish chrome on the outside...
That is what chromed parts are supposed to look like, though I concede that there is a bit too much on the door pads.

Quote:
Same HU on Kwid and Kaptur. Seriously?
Apparently only Maruti is allowed to get away with that.

Quote:
And I'm not too sure if a seat belt comes hanging down from the roof. Almost!
It's a three point seat belt, and it appears that there are three of them for the rear seat. Quite common setup, I think the Yeti has something similar. Good thing too.
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th April 2017, 19:24   #127
BHPian

Re: Interiors and Ergonomics are such a pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Apparently only Maruti is allowed to get away with that.
This's been debated for long. Maruti's unit isn't as bad as the one on the Renault. If it's good, no problem to have it carried over, except that there isn't any novelty. Here in this case, leave alone the novelty, the reflective plastic film like screen quality, non visibility under bright lighting conditions, the laggy interface, poor-average sound output and not much smartphone connectivity options warrant a better unit. Yes, this HU thing can easily be replaced. But, this is what I feel they should atleast be ready to offer on a car worth so much by default.
I agree that these are minor issues, but these are issues. I'm one of those who just admires the way Duster rides and would any day drive it if I had the option to choose. But, the package as a whole doesn't make the cut for me, not the Duster currently, not would this car in current state.
Old 1st May 2017, 12:39   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The controls itself are not steering mounted, they are steering column mounted. Hunt around behind the steering.
My Beemer has steering mounted controls and my Duster has the stalk mounted controls for the music system. I actually find the dusters easier as it is always in the same position. The steering mounted controls rotate with the steering and is difficult to find buttons, except when the steering is dead center. Maybe a personal preference. This is actually one feature of the duster that I like.
4x4addict is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 08:23   #129
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Beemer has steering mounted controls and my Duster has the stalk mounted controls for the music system. I actually find the dusters easier as it is always in the same position. The steering mounted controls rotate with the steering and is difficult to find buttons, except when the steering is dead center.
I agree. Even I prefer the Duster control. We have another car in the house with steering mounted and I always find myself hunting for the button.

On a different note; with announcement of Jeep Compass, would be curious to see what Renault would be thinking to price this one?

The premise being :

- Compass has high localisation. Hence it has the potential to be priced across the range. Right from: just above the Creta to the Tuscon levels.
- If that part of argument (though a guesstimate/speculation) comes alive, then Kaptur with its 1.5L Diesel may not stand a chance if priced above Creta.

So what ever thoughts Renault has about offering Kaptur as a premium over Creta can go out of the window! It then needs to be priced alongside Creta and also be competitive.

Last edited by ampere : 2nd May 2017 at 08:40.
ampere is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 12:36   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Interiors of the Indian Kaptur,

The Renault Captur SUV. EDIT: Launched @ Rs 9.99 lakhs-renaultcapturdashboardspiedupcloseindia.jpg

Source- Rushlane
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 11:04   #131
Senior - BHPian

Many thanks for sharing the spy shots.

I am still finding it way below the competition. Creta with the recent update has further improved upon the overall appeal of the car.

Unless Kaptur is radically different in flesh and obviously gives bang for the buck, it may not get the footfall that Duster got because of the first mover advantage at the time of its launch.

The interiors need be more pleasing / appealing to the buyers !
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 09:14   #132
BHPian

I wonder how safer Kaptur will be as it is based on the same platform as the DUSTER scored ZERO in Global NCAP testing. I doubt if it will be any more safer than the DUSTER.

Renault - Can you also care to explain if you are planning to deploy a smaller airbag on the Kaptur as well?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2017 at 09:21. Reason: typo corrected
Old 11th May 2017, 09:22   #133
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The steering mounted controls rotate with the steering and is difficult to find buttons, except when the steering is dead center. Maybe a personal preference. .
Operating the audio controls when executing a turn ? How often does one do it ? Do the audio controls take precedence over the turn ? BMW and others would have thought of these things ..
condor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 11:01   #134
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Operating the audio controls when executing a turn ? How often does one do it ? Do the audio controls take precedence over the turn ? BMW and others would have thought of these things ..
I actually end up using it more often than I thought. But I don't drive a Duster and I actually prefer steering mounted controls because they can be used with fingers while the hand's still holding the steering. It didn't take long to memorize the position of the buttons. A stalk would need a dedicated effort of the hand, buttons function can co-exist with steering, atleast for me.
Old 11th May 2017, 12:00   #135
BHPian

To the designer at Renault who keeps sticking weird color borders around the interior, I will send Liam Neeson to find you and use his very specific set of skills to bloody murder you.

What the hell, Renault! You guys know such crazy color scheme is not at all appreciated by anyone except for the designer himself who's possibly high on crack.

Sorry, this makes me super mad! ugh!
Mad Max is offline   (6) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks