Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th February 2018, 03:56   #871
Senior - BHPian

Re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaryen View Post
I am in a slight conundrum now. I had kept my purchase of Baleno Delta CVT on hold till the Swift prices were out. I needed a car for city runs and occasional highway trips. A price difference of about 70k- 1 lakh between comparable variants would have made me go for the Swift. For an on-road price difference of around RS.40k, I am wondering if I should downgrade to the Swift ZXI AMT for this?

Things I get in the Swift and not the Baleno:
1) Push button Start-Stop (I am not a big fan of this tech)
2) 6 speakers instead of 4
3) Driver seat height adjust
4) Leather wrapped steering wheel
5) Seemingly better MFD compared to Delta Baleno
6) Front fog lamps

Things I get in the Baleno and not the Swift:
1) CVT transmission instead of AMT
2) Bigger car with higher ground clearance
3) Front and centre cabin lamps instead of front only in Swift
4) Upcoming dedicated Nexa service centres

Can the gurus and Baleno owners here help me decide if the additional 40k is worth the Baleno CVT while losing out on the 6 things I mentioned above?
Everything you quoted is good to hear but in the end its all about the engine. Cars are as much about the heart as it is about the math. This much amount is not earth shaking.

5-7 years later, you wouldn't care about the 40k you would save or spend. The smiles per mile are all that count.

Please take both for an enthusiastic test drive back to back - tell us which one gave you a WIIIIDEE smile and then buy that one.

PS: I myself drive a 1.5L NA auto petrol (Ford Aspire). It was clearly costlier than Baleno or other comparable 4m cars - but BOY, it made me smile, and still does. I get 13.2 kpl in city, and 16-17 kpl on full highway runs (including jams). Good enough for me.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 12:20   #872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Maruti Suzuki SWIFT bookings cross 40,000. Waiting period is at ~ 6-8 weeks .
That's just 2 months of sales for MSIL

I think with this pricing of Swift, MSIL made sure that they have enough headroom to move Baleno up the pricing ladder at par with i20 and Jazz, during its launch of facelift.

Also, for an average customer the pricing of Baleno may not be known since they don't have access to Baleno in the same showroom, in order to compare the prices, and that will be the key for MSIL to push the new Swift.
jpcoolguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 13:25   #873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Fog lamps were purposely skipped in lower variants, so that Maruti could sell them as accessories . Also to keep the pricing competitive.
Couldn't find any of that competitiveness in the pricing.
I felt it is more like "to keep their margins intact " rather than any attempt "to keep the pricing competitive".
Even after removing multiple features from the mid-variant like fog-lamps, adjustable rear-headrests etc, they couldn't price it competitively, atleast as an introductory limited period pricing.

Agreed that being the top-selling model from the market-leader, Swift has very little competition and may be that's why they need not be competitive in pricing.
As someone said in an above post, when certain people are ready to buy it at whatever price, why shouldn't Maruti exploit that opportunity?

But people tend to take notice when some feature that was already there is withdrawn in a newer model.
Agreed that there may be new feature additions elsewhere, but then what is the competitiveness and value addition, where you lose something when you are gaining some other thing?
And that too without even a price cut to justify that competitiveness?

Skipping the fog-lamp in Vxi/VDi and selling it as accessory is just fleecing the customer.
As if the huge profit margins from selling around 1 lakh cars per month is not enough for Maruti, that they had to resort to this, and make more profit by selling Fog-lamps as accessory!

The front-end of the VXi now looks bland and cheap with that black-cover in place of the fog-lamp.
Steering controls and driver-seat height adjustment become obvious only once someone gets inside the cabin.
Fog lamp is a feature whose absence is very much conspicuous even from a distance, and Maruti should have retained it in V variants.

By pricing the new Swift very close to the Baleno for some of the variants, I think Maruti is planning to price the upcoming facelifted Baleno even higher.

Last edited by VinodDevil81 : 9th February 2018 at 13:50.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 13:28   #874
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Even after removing multiple features from the mid-variant like fog-lamps, adjustable rear-headrests etc, they couldn't price it competitively, atleast as an introductory limited period pricing.
Yes, Maruti has removed fog lamps. But steering controls, height adjustable driver seat are available even in V variants.
Dr.Naren is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 14:14   #875
Senior - BHPian

I can't understand why one wouldn't go for a superior baleno with CVT spending only 30-50k more (hardly 5-6%) more. Pricing is too much. Dzire and Baleno are best suited for a sub 4m sedan and a hatch respectively. Smaller size with inferior automatic technology hasn't resulted in any meaningful saving in cost.

Last edited by ani_meher : 9th February 2018 at 14:18.
ani_meher is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 19:33   #876
BHPian

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Took a small Test Drive on the Zdi+. The odo was just 44 kms. If you are already using previous gen Swift, then you will notice that its roomier in the back due to 2 reasons, Leg room and height. Once you start driving, you feel its quicker than previous gen. To comment on Steering, we need a longer test drive.

Could see only 2 colours, Red and Blue. Still no Automatic for TD.

Forget about Baleno, even S Cross, Zeta looks value for money, if you are looking at Diesel Manual and do not mind the half a metre extra length.

Last edited by jaaz : 9th February 2018 at 19:36.
jaaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2018, 22:05   #877
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Swift iCreate accessories brochure

iCreate_Swift_Brochure.pdf

Most of the items are weird and wacky. . Red wheelcaps, seriously??

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-screenshot_20180209220323.png

Last edited by Leoshashi : 9th February 2018 at 22:08.
Leoshashi is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 00:08   #878
BHPian

Hi,
Got the new swift Zxi+ red today evening.
Awesome!!!
1st car to be delivered in Mohali.
The overall delivery experience was nice though some delay was there due to the rush of launch event.
Leaving town for a wedding in the family in the morning. Will upload pics etc later.
risham is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 04:05   #879
BHPian

Guys, I was wondering on the merit of spending 8.4L on swift zxi AMT when I can get Ignis Zeta AMT for 7.5L or Ignis Alpha AMT for 8.52L. Is there any reason to stick to Swift? Looks are subjective and I am guessing the ride and handling of Ignis should be as good as Swift.

I am stuck between saving money and buying Swift or spending a little more and getting a Baleno.

Last edited by Satishtv : 10th February 2018 at 04:18.
Old 10th February 2018, 06:24   #880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satishtv View Post
I am stuck between saving money and buying Swift or spending a little more and getting a Baleno.

End of day, if I were you, I would pick the Baleno purely because of the CVT gearbox. I really do not suggest or endorse AMTs.

Cannot comment further as I have not driven the New swift as yet.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 07:56   #881
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
End of day, if I were you, I would pick the Baleno purely because of the CVT gearbox. I really do not suggest or endorse AMTs.

Cannot comment further as I have not driven the New swift as yet.
Thanks Arjun, there is another important point leading to confusion; my use of the car will not exceed more than 2500 kms in a year. So, I am not sure I want to spend close to 10 lakhs for a Baleno.

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2018 at 19:23. Reason: Typo
Satishtv is offline   Received Infraction
Old 10th February 2018, 08:37   #882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Arjun, there is another important point leading to confusion; my use of the car will not exceed more than 2500 kms in a year. So, I am not sure I want to spend close to 10 lakhs for a Baleno.

Why not a manual transmission if you are drivin only 2.5 k kms a year?

I would not compromise on the equipment( read as gearbox) and safety on any vehicle however sparingly used. What is the price difference of the Baleno Delta CVT and the Swift AGS?

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2018 at 19:24. Reason: Quoted post edited
Old 10th February 2018, 10:46   #883
BHPian

Quote:
Apologies but don't think you need a car in the first place for a very low usage. Why not take a cab for such short distance travel or a cycle?

Last edited by GTO : 11th February 2018 at 19:24. Reason: Quoted post edited
arunramaswamy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 12:14   #884
BANNED

Maruti has decided that henceforth customers won't have to take up Weird and Wacky modifications by themselves, Maruti has developed an in house team dedicated for Weird and wacky stuff! Lot of my Keralite brotheren can sigh a huge relief as they can get hold of genuine Maruti stuff which are a tough competition to the local guys. Well done Maruti !
Attached Thumbnails
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-maruti-swift.png  

The Rationalist is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2018, 13:08   #885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
The rear profile very similar to Datsun Go. and the interior should look more upmarket. Current swift interior seems more upmarket than the next version.
As for the front, it looks like how a kitted out E-Pace would...or it's just me.

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-epace-swift.png
aaychat is offline   (2) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks