Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2018, 12:59   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!

Maruti Suzuki SWIFT bookings go up, could land up in a 4 months waiting period

AMT variants could be the reason for this blockbuster bookings!

Quote:
AMT-equipped variant of the Swift that is seeing a higher demand, accounting for 65 percent of total bookings.
Quote:
most dealers who also said that it is likely to go up to four months due to a relentless increase in bookings.
Meanwhile here is the SWIFT in Silver,

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180125123818_marutiswiftsilverfrontt.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180125123818_marutiswiftsilverrear.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1_578_872_0_100_http___cdni_autocarindia_com_extraimages_20180125123819_marutiswiftsilverrearth.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 25th January 2018 at 13:00.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:19   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Interior of VXI / VDI manual
The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-img20180125wa0027.jpg
Swift production is on full swing and dealers are getting cars in good numbers now.
Dr.Naren is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:28   #768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
For Ritz, the first 2 are not as confident-inspiring as Swift thanks to its tall body and seating.

Absolutely. And that was the USP for people like me who bought the Ritz instead of a Swift, which my father already owned. I could drive his Swift once in a while to satiate my thirst for such fun, which factor was comparatively less in the Ritz without taking anything away from the seating comfort and convenient ingress and egress offered by the Ritz.
jbpanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 13:30   #769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhruba_Nazira View Post
Absolutely. I would like to add some more to the list. Fun is when you don't look at the fuel meter too often. Fun is when the ASS experience is pleasant. Fun is when you (the car model) are not alone on the road. Fun is when you know there will definitely be a service centre nearby if there is any breakdown. Fun is when you are assured of a high resale value.
Your concept of fun seems to be totally different.
To me, (and perhaps to most others) all the five points you have mentioned equates to peace of mind- not fun.

As you have mentioned, Swift has so many good qualities like high resale value, good service network, reasonable mileage etc, but please don't equate each and everything to the Fun-to-drive factor, which is a totally different aspect.

Having said that, I too agree that the old swift was a fun-to-drive car, but never felt it as an enthusiast's car.

It all depends on the relative scale which we use to analyze a car.
If one is regularly driving a more powerful car like a City or Octavia, then it is hard for them to find any fun with the Swift.

But majority of the Swift owners were those who upgraded from Altos, Santros and WagonRs and they instantly felt delighted at the relatively more sportier and fun-to-drive nature of the car compared to their previous cars.

They are the ones who contributed to the widespread image of the swift as a sporty car.

Sure, an amount of sportiness is there, but the hype is much more than what it actually deserves.
VinodDevil81 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th January 2018, 19:31   #770
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Your concept of fun seems to be totally different.

To me, (and perhaps to most others) all the five points you have mentioned equates to peace of mind- not fun.

They are the ones who contributed to the widespread image of the swift as a sporty car.

Sure, an amount of sportiness is there, but the hype is much more than what it actually deserves.

Finally some one who shares my view! I had actually gotten tired trying to get that point across! As someone who owned a first gen Dzire( mostly similar to the first gen Swift except the extended boot) I can say that the car was good, but nothing sporty, and was very weak in the brakes. I actually realised a lot of this once I moved on to my next car— A Rapid.

No doubt the Swift offers some decent control on corners, but far from anything sporty or an enthusiasts car. I found the Punto ( if not for the lack of power ) a far more accomplished car and even the earlier gen Ford Figo better on brakes and cornering ability.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 26th January 2018 at 16:22. Reason: shortening quoted post for readability.
motorworks is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 13:41   #771
Distinguished - BHPian

Meanwhile, look what just drove into the north-eastern town of Gauhati:

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-1.jpg

The 2018 next-gen Maruti Swift - Now Launched!-2.jpg

From WhatsApp.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 13:47   #772
Team-BHP Support

I know the aesthetic lovers would disagree, but those wheels with that profile/aspect ratio appear the perfect compromise between looks and practicality.

Will probably aid ride quality too, a light car with low-profile tires would be a bit too unsettled on our roads.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2018 at 13:51.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 14:01   #773
BHPian

Just booked the swift petrol ZXI AMT in Grey color. Is there anyway to check the status of my booking online? If not, is there any way to check the waiting period?
Satishtv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 14:23   #774
BANNED

Quote:
Absolutely. I would like to add some more to the list. Fun is when you don't look at the fuel meter too often. Fun is when the ASS experience is pleasant. Fun is when you (the car model) are not alone on the road. Fun is when you know there will definitely be a service centre nearby if there is any breakdown. Fun is when you are assured of a high resale value.
A fun car needs to be fast, safe, and solidly built.
I don't even call my 1.2TSI fast because after routinely driving the 1.8 and 2.0 turbo petrols, this car is crap.
The 1.2 NA on the Swift? Well, less said the better. My cousin has the baleno petrol, and by no means whatsoever will I call it a "fun" car. It's a commuter car, simple as that.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:27. Reason: Do NOT TROLL on Team-BHP. Do NOT post in a negative / sarcastic manner
H_Dogg72 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 15:41   #775
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_Dogg72 View Post
...A fun car needs to be fast, safe, and solidly built.
I don't even call my 1.2TSI fast because after routinely driving the 1.8 and 2.0 turbo petrols, this car is crap.....
I'm no fan of Maruti, and you're right about a car needing to be safe and well built, but you're looking at the FTD factor from the opposite perspective of the intended customer base.

Swift is 'fun' for someone upgrading from an entry-level commuter car (you know the kind we get here), not for someone driving C/D segment cars with good grunt and tight chassis to match.

For someone driving the Octavia vRS, I'm sure they'll consider even the regular 1.8 TSi a bit meh, forget a car multiple segments lower. Barring very few exceptions, all cars are crap compared to cars a few segments above, but that isn't the point being made at all. I won't buy a Swift either, if I could afford a Polo GTi.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 26th January 2018 at 15:48.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 16:11   #776
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well said. The factors you state are valued by many but it is not fashionable to say it out aloud! Don't let the vroom vroom lot change your mind.

Quote:
Dhruba_Nazira is entitled to his idea and preferences of what constitutes a fun car just like you are entitled to yours. Poking is not polite. What is fun is relative to where you are upgrading from. When I moved from a Lambretta to a Premier Padmini even that 44 bhp car seemed fun to me. Fun is not just limited to driving it is the whole ownership experience.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:28. Reason: Quoted post edited
V.Narayan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 16:23   #777
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I don't even call my 1.2TSI fast because after routinely driving the 1.8 and 2.0 turbo petrols, this car is crap.
The 1.2 NA on the Swift? Well, less said the better. My cousin has the baleno petrol, and by no means whatsoever will I call it a "fun" car. It's a commuter car, simple as that.
I get your point.

When I jump into my Polo TSI after a hard run or a long drive in our Octavia 1.8 TSI, the Polo feels nothing more than a commuter car.

But then the Octavia feels absolutely numb and lifeless (in spite of being quick) after a run in something like a GTI or a Mini Cooper S.

Last week I was briefly reunited with a 2 year old manual transmission Swift 1.2 petrol, and I can't tell you how much fun I had chucking it around.

My point is, fun cars do not have to be fast or solidly built or safe. That is purely your opinion.

Lamborghinis from the '80s and '90s were fast, but they are certainly not safe or very well built. People the world over have documented these observations.

Additionally, the erstwhile Maruti 800 is not fast, it's certainly not safe, and is about as well built as a a soap-box derby car. But the amount of fun I've had hooning that little thing around in my teens, only I know! In fact, the 800 is about as analogue as it gets, not to mention that the flimsy build (in comparison to modern cars) and low seating make you feel vulnerable to the outside world.

Some may find this surprising, but I found the 1.2 NA petrol (K12) a whole lot more fun than the 1 litre turbocharged boosterjet engine. It's just the way it delivers all the way to the red-line that makes me want rev its nuts off and wring it by its neck. That, my friend, is fun in my book!

In fact, I've come to understand that lesser powered cars like the Swift 1.2, can be a whole lot more fun than say an Octavia 1.8 TSI, as you can explore its power-band more often, and get to its limits a whole lot quicker.

There is only so much fun you can have with a fast car on public roads, anyway!

P.S. I am going to be bummed if Maruti don't consider the Swift Sport for India, but the 1.2 K10 does the job just fine for city use.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:28. Reason: Quoted post edited
suhaas307 is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 17:10   #778
BANNED

Alright let's ignore upper segment cars.
In the same segment, the Figo and polo diesels are much more FUN than the Swift. In that case we simply cannot call the swift a fun car when other cars in the same segment are much faster and as a plus point, built better as well.

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:31. Reason: Posting in a negative / sarcastic manner. Do NOT TROLL
Old 26th January 2018, 17:18   #779
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In the same segment, the Figo and polo diesels are much more FUN than the Swift. In that case we simply cannot call the swift a fun car when other cars in the same segment are much faster and as a plus point, built better as well.
Fast and well built might be FUN to you, To each his own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Some may find this surprising, but I found the 1.2 NA petrol (K12) a whole lot more fun than the 1 litre turbocharged boosterjet engine. It's just the way it delivers all the way to the red-line that makes me want rev its nuts off and wring it by its neck. That, my friend, is fun in my book!
I second that. Baleno 1.0 booster jet is a faster car than K12, but it is not exciting. I am happy with my revv happy K12

Last edited by GTO : 26th January 2018 at 18:32. Reason: Quoted post edited
Dr.Naren is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 26th January 2018, 17:21   #780
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Fast and well built might be FUN to you, To each his own.

This is absurd. You can't claim that only your opinions are factually right .
How is a 1.3 engine faster than the 1.5 engines in the Ford and VW? Is that factually incorrect?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks