Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2022, 11:57   #631
BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
No need for anything, just drive. I believe there is some kind of stay issued because of which there are no challans being issued to out of state vehicles. The government seems to be working on making it easier to drive across states and not having to repay taxes. I have been driving for the last 3.5 years and once even got a challan for not having PUC and another time a parking ticket but no one asked about DL registration!
My experience has been similar. I have a WB registered scooter that I have been using in Bengaluru for last two years. I have been stopped a few times for regular checks but have been let go on showing valid PUC, insurance and license.
adityaprasoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 13:12   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityaprasoon View Post
My experience has been similar. I have a WB registered scooter that I have been using in Bengaluru for last two years. I have been stopped a few times for regular checks but have been let go on showing valid PUC, insurance and license.
The out-of-state vehicle checks are carried out by the RTO Flying Squads, and not normal traffic cops. The latter are interested only in validity of your DL, PUC & insurance .

Sometimes, the RTO staff team up with the cops for joint checks!

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st March 2022 at 13:25.
itwasntme is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:11   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
The out-of-state vehicle checks are carried out by the RTO Flying Squads, and not normal traffic cops. The latter are interested only in validity of your DL, PUC & insurance .

Isn't there a stay on out-of-state vehicle challans from the court?
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 14:21   #634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How could we identify and isolate these RTO folks from amongst the usual tragic cops?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 15:21   #635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Isn't there a stay on out-of-state vehicle challans from the court?
Could not locate any such stay order. Are you sure? On the other hand, TN has now extended and smoothened the process of issuing such challans: https://www.thehindu.com/news/cities...le27690980.ece
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHelix0202 View Post
How could we identify and isolate these RTO folks from amongst the usual tragic cops?
Pun intended? . The RTO folks use similar Bolero and Scorpios (some with pink paint patches), and have the abbreviation "RTO" in both English & Kannada emblazoned on the sides and front.

Old post but similar currently too: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3485105 (Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore)

Last edited by itwasntme : 21st March 2022 at 15:23.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 15:26   #636
BHPian

Even the neighbouring state toll slip doesn't work now since the fastag is all electronic. They will be able to see that the car was actually in the state!
heysac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 18:53   #637
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pun intended? . The RTO folks use similar Bolero and Scorpios (some with pink paint patches), and have the abbreviation "RTO" in both English & Kannada emblazoned on the sides and front.

Old post but similar currently too: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post3485105 (Case: Out of State Cars vs RTO Bangalore)
That was totally not intended, but I suppose Siri knows me well!

Insightful, thanks!
TheHelix0202 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2022, 19:26   #638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarath_ View Post
How do the traffic police determine the start of the one year period? I am still clueless as to the parameters they take into account. Is it the toll receipt / fast tag, local address proofs, job letter etc.
What would work very well is a Pollution Under Control certificate from the Mother state. There would be a photograph of the vehicle on the certificate and that is unquestionable proof that the vehicle was at the home state on the date the certificate was issued. It should not matter if the certificate has expired after 6 months, the same should be valid for calculation of 1 year period.

Second, it's a red flag if one has a KA Address Driving License and also owns the car on the Registration Certificate with an other state number. If the Owner of the other state car is different from the one driving it then it should not be a problem
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 16:50   #639
BHPian

I am not sure if it would be improper to ask this question in this thread but I was considering sending one of my cars to Bangalore from Punjab and have it re registered there as don't want the family to face any repeated harassment by the local cops for driving a PB registered vehicle.

I understand the tax has to be paid again in Karnataka in the form of LTT. The question is what is the value that the RTO will consider to calculate the tax since it is not really a sale and is a transfer within family from husband to wifey - In Punjab and Chandigarh the IDV value is upheld for calculation of the tax but I believe Karnataka doesn't believe in that.

Any pointers/leads will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd May 2022, 17:03   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post
I am not sure if it would be improper to ask this question in this thread but I was considering sending one of my cars to Bangalore from Punjab and have it re registered there as don't want the family to face any repeated harassment by the local cops for driving a PB registered vehicle.

I understand the tax has to be paid again in Karnataka in the form of LTT. The question is what is the value that the RTO will consider to calculate the tax since it is not really a sale and is a transfer within family from husband to wifey - In Punjab and Chandigarh the IDV value is upheld for calculation of the tax but I believe Karnataka doesn't believe in that.

See this document: https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/s...20Schedule.pdf
Ideally, you should produce the original invoice of the vehicle generated by the dealer when you purchased the vehicle new, and this will be used for calculation of tax.
KiloAlpha is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2022, 17:09   #641
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gupts007 View Post

The tax is based on the cost of your car, taking into account the ex showroom price at time of sale. Let's say you have a car that cost 6 lakhs in 2012, Road tax is 15% ie 90k in bangalore, so in 2022, you'll have to pay 30k for LTT UPTO 2027.

The RTO site lists the slabs and LTT due for each price band.
avira_tk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 12:12   #642

I am thinking of transferring our car from UP to Karnataka. Can anyone who has done this before help with the procedure and if there are any agents who can help with this?
Old 26th August 2022, 14:32   #643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhruvlath View Post
I am thinking of transferring our car from UP to Karnataka. Can anyone who has done this before help with the procedure and if there are any agents who can help with this?
Recently got my WB car resgistered to KA. The process is straight forward on paper:

1. If the car is under a bank loan, you need a NOC from bank.
2. From home state RTO, you need a NOC for transfer. For the RTO NOC, you need to provide the bank NOC to the RTO.
3. Fill out a bunch of motor vehicle forms for the above.

In the destination state:
1. Take NOC from bank again regarding address change
2. Fill form 27 and 33 ( need bank signature on these)
3. Based on invoice and NOC date from home state, RTO will calculate the tax amount which you need to pay by DD
4. After all these steps, you need to take the vehicle for inspection in the respective RTO.

I took agent service in both states. In Bangalore, Mr. Pratap from Shri Gokul motor driving school helped me. His charges are at par market rate, he's quite professional and sticks to his words. He operates in the yeshwantpur area (KA04). I got my smart card within a month.
Old 26th August 2022, 22:00   #644

Hi All,

This thread is a goldmine of useful information.

I'm a resident of Bangalore who wants to do the following :

1. Purchase a low mileage Fortuner in Delhi.
2. Transfer the Fortuner to my name in Delhi.
3. Drive down to Bangalore.
4. Register the car in Bangalore and get KA number plates.
5. Claim a RTO tax refund in Delhi.

I have a few questions.

1. Is my plan even feasible?
2. Can i register a car in my name in Delhi without having a local Delhi address.
3. Can i claim the tax refund or wil it have to be done by the original owner?
4. Where can i find the details of LTT to be paid in Bangalore?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thanks.
managhatke77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2022, 14:21   #645
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
2. Transfer the Fortuner to my name in Delhi.
This is the one step I did not understand. If you are registering it in KA, why do you even bother to register it in delhi. I believe as long as you get your papers and NOCs fine, you should have no issues directly registering it in KA after you buy it from the seller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by managhatke77 View Post
4. Where can i find the details of LTT to be paid in Bangalore?
https://transport.karnataka.gov.in/i...on+Schedule/en
SR-71 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks