Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2016, 17:12   #331
Senior - BHPian

Re: Out-of-state cars can run on Karnataka roads for 1 year!

Hi Guys just checking back, Is there any new development on this case? Also checked the FB page and didnt see anything there (https://www.facebook.com/groups/drivewithoutborders/).

Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 18:04   #332
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Hi Guys just checking back, Is there any new development on this case? Also checked the FB page and didnt see anything there (https://www.facebook.com/groups/drivewithoutborders/).

Thanks

The HC is closed for summer vacation and will reopen in June.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3957376

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2016, 20:23   #333
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The HC is closed for summer vacation and will reopen in June.....
What happens to the hapless citizens with impounded cars/papers while the judiciary enjoys its summer break? I presume the RTO won't budge from its stand?

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 5th May 2016 at 20:24.
Old 5th May 2016, 21:12   #334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
What happens to the hapless citizens with impounded cars/papers while the judiciary enjoys its summer break? I presume the RTO won't budge from its stand?
The single bench's judgment stands. If the RTO is not releasing vehicles I'd suggest making an RTI enquiry asking about the specific vehicle.

In fact a generic enquiry might also be worthwhile.
Old 6th May 2016, 00:10   #335
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
The single bench's judgment stands. If the RTO is not releasing vehicles I'd suggest making an RTI enquiry asking about the specific vehicle.

In fact a generic enquiry might also be worthwhile.
I understand the original verdict stands - on paper - until the appeal verdict is out, but ground realities are different, hence why I qualified my comment with the RTO bit.
Old 8th June 2016, 11:16   #336
BHPian

At the risk of repeating the questions asked before , has there been any development on this case?
I think summer vacation for court has ended and a formal verdict should be out. Does any one know the date?
Old 10th June 2016, 22:49   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car FANATICUS View Post
At the risk of repeating the questions asked before , has there been any development on this case?
I think summer vacation for court has ended and a formal verdict should be out. Does any one know the date?
We are eagerly awaiting for the Judgement to be pronounced.

I will update you all as and when i get to hear from our lawyer.

Waseem.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2016, 07:20   #338
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Can't understand why can't we have yearly road tax for out of state vehicles.
If the KA govt hadn't been too greedy and opted to collect yearly tax for out station vehicles, most people would have just abided by it and it wouldnt' have become such a big issue. They state would have continued to get some revenues out of it and even if the person was there for a few months, he or she would have not bothered to even apply for a refund.

By bringing a draconian completely unfair and greedy law KA govt has shot themselves in the foot. I hope the next PIL will be to as the courts to refund the stolen money with interest.
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 11:08   #339
Senior - BHPian

Starting July i need to travel every week to Bangalore and will be travelling to chennai over weekend. I am wondering if i should simply use the TN registration car/bike, or buy a local motorcycle for inter city travel inside bangalore while use the TN car/bike to actually move between Bangalore and Chennai.

My assumption at this point till the final judgement is out is, non KA will have to be ready to be harassed.Man, this state can make you feel like you are entering a different country(not in good taste) if they continue to harass non KA registration vehicles.
Old 14th June 2016, 11:22   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Starting July i need to travel every week to Bangalore and will be travelling to chennai over weekend. I am wondering if i should simply use the TN registration car/bike, or buy a local motorcycle for inter city travel inside bangalore while use the TN car/bike to actually move between Bangalore and Chennai.

My assumption at this point till the final judgement is out is, non KA will have to be ready to be harassed.Man, this state can make you feel like you are entering a different country(not in good taste) if they continue to harass non KA registration vehicles.
I feel for you man! Harassment right now is, as I have observed, back to the old levels. It is random, and not as systematic as it used to be a few months back. Others in Bangalore can correct me if I am wrong.

Please do feel free to drive down to Bangalore every week.

If your assignment in Bangalore is for the short term - say, less than a year, depending on where in Bangalore you stay and work (and your schedule), you might just find it a lot more convenient to do the Uber/OLA/Bus/Metro for commute. You can always take your car for the commute if needed.
If your assignment is slightly longer term, then please consider buying a scooter/motorcycle for local commuting. Just like in Chennai, it is so much easier to commute up to 15km one way on a 2-wheeler.
Old 14th June 2016, 11:25   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

How long is your duration of stay. If it is less than 1 year then get the address proof certifying that you reside in Chennai and that you are posted in Bangalore temporarily. You can then use your TN bike/car to commute in Bangalore.
Old 14th June 2016, 11:36   #342
BHPian

Quote:

Some key-points here,
1> You can use your TN registered car/bike in Bangalore provided you should carry Petrol/Diesel bills which you filled in TN.
2> Also carry toll tickets with you.

Both these can be used as a proof that you are a visitor not a permanent resident here, which I feel is sufficient for you to run your car/bike in Bangalore.
I got these information from a traffic inspector whom I met last week.
Old 14th June 2016, 13:42   #343
BHPian

Quote:
I dont think you will be hassled if you have the right toll tickets etc with probably address proof, may be office ID with you local address and may be the ration card

KA is going nuts and these state requirements needs to be completely removed and some common country level tax or whatever that makes it easier for own citizens to use a car bought in the same country anywhere and everywhere without having to worry about being pulled over by some cop and getting impounded.

My love for KA keeps growing. So is my sarcasm.
Dear Friend, I understand your feelings. But this is the way our Democracy works.

One has to appreciate that the situation is no different in other places as well. My MH registered car has been stopped at many places and on many instances in AP and TN during my visits to Chennai. Even after finding all my documents in place the cops have resorted to asking money under pretext “Tea Saar”. At one place an officer in TN demanded 200 rupees saying “Saar your vehicle is MH passing and this place is a junction of two state highways, so you have to pay” . I replied, “O.K no issues but will you give me the receipt”. No prizes for guessing the officer’s reply, “Who will give receipt Saar.” The only thing is that such instances do not get highlighted as much. Mind me no state is different or better than the other, when it comes to collecting taxes (read pocket filling opportunities).

I have observed in many places including, Chennai, Mumbai, etc., that outstate vehicles are stopped promptly and are frisked vigorously. I remember during my recent visit to Noida, my company provided vehicle was seized for having a non UP registered plate. No chance for making quick money is ever spared by any state officials. In fact I will go to an extent saying that the number of outstate vehicles seen in Bangalore is dramatically higher than other metro cities in India and for this very reason the outstate vehicle issue gets accentuated. Or may be that more people dare more to bring outstate registered vehicles into Bangalore vis-à-vis other cities and then crib on KA government alone. Let us be just in handling the issue rather than pretending as though other places are washed in milk.

I am neither supporting KA nor any other state, just that I am of the opinion that there should be uniform tax regime across the country which allows seamless interstate travel for all citizens so that the true meaning of democracy is demonstrated.

Let us see it as a common issue for all Indians rather than making it as a KA bashing issue.
King_pin09 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:48   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post

I am neither supporting KA nor any other state, just that I am of the opinion that there should be uniform tax regime across the country which allows seamless interstate travel for all citizens so that the true meaning of democracy is demonstrated.

Let us see it as a common issue for all Indians rather than making it as a KA bashing issue.
I am campaigning very hard for One Nation-One Road Tax and have met the Union Minister Of Transport couple of times in last one year.

I have started a petition on Change.org and the same has garnered 80,000 signatures as of now.

Waseem Memon.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 14th June 2016, 14:57   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Agreed. It was not meant to bash KA but any state including my own TN. I have my friends driving their DL and MH registration cars in TN for a long time now. They really dont see a reason to go through the hassle of changing and as you said even when stopped the discussion quickly turns into donation than just seizure.

I am extending that basing to all states that will end up harassing non state vehicles. In chennai, touch would i have so far got away even with sun film. I am testing my luck and i am sure i will run out soon. With plans to travel to Bangalore, i am anyway going to remove them to avoid attention.

We need uniform tax across India so there is no delta to pay. I think even in developed nation you need to abide by state law and will have to even renew license and get your local plates*(in US atleast).

I will be there for less than 1 year may be 10 months but will be travelling every week. So it will be weekends in chennai, weekdays in Bangalore.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks