Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2016, 18:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault plans to export Kwid to SAARC nations and Africa

Earlier this month we had reported that Renault is gearing up to start a third shift for the production of its entry level hatchback - Kwid. Now, a media report suggests that the French carmaker is going to begin exports of the Kwid to SAARC (South Asian Association for Regional Corporation) nations soon. Some African countries are being considered to as export destinations as well. Additionally, Renault will export the car's parts to Brazil and aims to grow over 100% in the domestic market.

The Kwid's production is likely to reach 10,000 units per month by March and the company targets an annual domestic sale of 1 lakh units in 2016. Sumit Sawhney, country CEO and MD, claims that Renault has received over 1 lakh bookings for the Kwid already. By 2017, Renault aims to capture 5% market share.

Renault plans to have 240 parts distribution centres by the year end and introduce a mobile workshop. This workshop will be derived from a Renault Lodgy and will reach smaller towns to service Renault vehicles. At a time, the mobile workshop will be able to service around 6 cars.

Source: Times of India
S2!!! is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 12:18   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault plans to export Kwid to SAARC nations and Africa

Good times for Renault! I'm always happy to hear about exports of India-made products. However, Renault should first cater to local demand. Only after the backlog is cleared should exports begin. Otherwise, it creates a negative perception & people get tired of waiting. See what happened with the EcoSport. Best to strike when the iron is hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The Kwid's production is likely to reach 10,000 units per month by March and the company targets an annual domestic sale of 1 lakh units in 2016. Sumit Sawhney, country CEO and MD, claims that Renault has received over 1 lakh bookings for the Kwid already.
Including January, Renault has delivered ~24,000 Kwids in India. Feb should bring that number to ~30,000. That means, 70,000 customers are still waiting for their Kwids. The backlog will only be cleared by October, and that's not counting the new bookings they are getting everyday.

Since Renault has already made up its mind on exports, lets just hope that number is a small % of the total production. An export-oriented mindset killed Nissan in India. Renault shouldn't make the same mistakes.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 13:13   #3
BHPian

It's good to see plans for Kwid exports, but that should be after satisfying local demand, as GTO mentioned.
Those first 1,00,000 bookings are the most critical. Keep those people happy, and Kwid will have 1L brand ambassadors for years without paying. Do the reverse and the negative publicity also gets multiplied in the same way. Most people who cancel after a long wait will never come back to the brand, because of their bad initial experience. It's a customer lost forever and probably few more who would listen to them.

Last edited by jetti : 23rd February 2016 at 13:14.
jetti is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 14:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Including January, Renault has delivered ~24,000 Kwids in India. Feb should bring that number to ~30,000. That means, 70,000 customers are still waiting for their Kwids. The backlog will only be cleared by October, and that's not counting the new bookings they are getting everyday.
As I am aware, a Renault RXT(O) booked now can be had in 6 months. This is for RXT(O). I was told the RXl/RXE and for that matter even RXT can be availed earlier. This is the state here in Whitefield Renault. To me somehow the existing backlogs,number of vehicles shipped to dealer is not matching.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 15:07   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
To me somehow the existing backlogs,number of vehicles shipped to dealer is not matching.
Waiting periods always vary from dealer to dealer (depending on size) and city to city. The dealer's relationship with the manufacturer will also help him get more shipments of a hot new car from the factory.

Whitefield Renault must be a big dealer with a good allocation.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2016, 18:43   #6
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
As I am aware, a Renault RXT(O) booked now can be had in 6 months. This is for RXT(O). I was told the RXl/RXE and for that matter even RXT can be availed earlier. This is the state here in Whitefield Renault. To me somehow the existing backlogs,number of vehicles shipped to dealer is not matching.
I was surprised when I got a call from Whitefield Honda recently asking if I'm still interested in buying the Kwid
I'd visited the dealership when Kwid was launched and back then they were not even ready to offer a test drive and they already had several bookings.
I told them I would be interested in the 1L engine if it launches soon and I was told it can be expected sometime around October this year (I did not ask about wait times for the 800cc car if booked now).
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks