Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2016, 18:14   #91
BHPian

re: Tata wants your help in renaming the Zica! (Edit: Now renamed Tiago)

of the three, my vote goes to Tiago
I'd suggested TATA BONO, BONO means all good, and well it sounds good too.
Old 19th February 2016, 18:26   #92
BHPian

@wrongturn .. Yes but U2 will sue !!
I think Zica sounds best. In my opinion this is an exercise in futility as the virus is already all but forgotten.
Old 19th February 2016, 20:11   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
@wrongturn .. Yes but U2 will sue !!
I think Zica sounds best. In my opinion this is an exercise in futility as the virus is already all but forgotten.
I too feel the same way. I dont think there would be any negative effect with that name.

However, for export market, especially to Latin countries name change may be warranted.

Even Kite is good enough.
Old 20th February 2016, 10:11   #94
BHPian

I can see how the pronunciation of both Civet and Tiago is going to butchered in the Indian market. Heck, even the salesman I dealt with initially called the car "E-LIGHT i20" at the Hyundai showroom. They should have given the car an Indian name with an international resonance like Yoga or something.
Old 20th February 2016, 10:43   #95
Senior - BHPian

Why not name it IONA? Tata Iona - "Iona is a small island in the Inner Hebrides off the Ross of Mull on the western coast of Scotland and is today renowned for its tranquility and natural beauty". Sounds sufficiently global to whet Tata's ambitions for this hatchback. The place has also - ahem! - acquired some fame as a location for paranormal activity (as in John E. Mack's "Alien Abduction").

However, as @simplyself and @revvhed have mentioned above, sticking to Zica should not have much of an effect one way or another!

Last edited by shashanka : 20th February 2016 at 10:49. Reason: addition
Old 20th February 2016, 11:17   #96
BHPian

The Zica was a good name, unfortunately the virus upstaged it. I guess Tata would not have changed the name of the car if Messi was not the brand ambassador. South America has been badly hit by the virus and retaining the name would have been a big PR hit for both Tata and Messi.

I had sent across the options Tata Zoy (since I thought they may want to stick with the ‘Z’) and Tata Acro (as in Acrobatic). However, I did not get any acknowledgement so I don’t know if they were even considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
I can see how the pronunciation of both Civet and Tiago is going to butchered in the Indian market.
Out of the three options, I guess Adore will get the most votes. The other two don’t make any sense and will indeed be hard to connect to with Indian customers.
Old 20th February 2016, 11:51   #97
BHPian

Interesting developments.

Kite (as opposed to the kite S for the sedan) seemed like the best option after good press received at the Auto Expo . But I doubt they will consider it.

They probably didn't want to dilute the image of the eye catching Kite-S sedan.

For a mass market segment, Civet and Tiago appear non starters for me. I'm already laughing after I pronounced these in the 'Punjabi accent'.

Civet - - - si...... Wetttt or 'kiwat' (like Kuwait) for those reading the name for the first time.

Tiago - - - Ttt yago (like Chicago - - - shhhh...... kago)

Adore is the safest bet. Seems similar to Aspire though. Even if pronounced as A-dor-ee.

Waiting with interest for the ads to hit and an accented voice introducing the selected name.

Tata Mint as suggested above by @Asifgrkhan seems original and spot on. It will also make for a refreshing and youthful ad campaign with an all new mint colour.

Last edited by drsingh : 20th February 2016 at 11:58.
Old 20th February 2016, 12:33   #98
BHPian

Out of curiosity, were the better names already registered or something?

The situation is similar to that of the movie Megamind where Titan/Tighten was the only name the blue bulbous headed guy could trademark.

These names would have been passable in the perfume industry, I wouldn't be too keen to open a door of an Adore.
sun_king is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 14:15   #99
BHPian

My vote goes for Civet ! it is the least dumb sounding of the options. Tiago sounds too Latin American and will sound awkward to most Indians. Coming to Adore, what were they thinking. It is down right cheesy and most dumb sounding of any random word that I could care to think..

Tata Love
Tata Wisdom
Tata Worship..

All the above are stupid but none more so than the 'Tata Adore'.

Tata's marketing team must be run by a bunch of 60 year olds who have zero idea into what a cool car name is in 2016. In Jeremy's words, a bunch of ' Blithering Idiots' !

Hopefully the car makes up for it like the 'Creta' that was a run-away success
Old 20th February 2016, 14:55   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
My vote goes for Civet ! it is the least dumb sounding of the options. Tiago sounds too Latin American and will sound awkward to most Indians. Coming to Adore, what were they thinking. It is down right cheesy and most dumb sounding of any random word that I could care to think..

Tata Love
Tata Wisdom
Tata Worship..

All the above are stupid but none more so than the 'Tata Adore'.

Tata's marketing team must be run by a bunch of 60 year olds who have zero idea into what a cool car name is in 2016. In Jeremy's words, a bunch of ' Blithering Idiots' !

Hopefully the car makes up for it like the 'Creta' that was a run-away success
I do not like 'Adore', voted for 'Tiago' and OK with 'Civet' too

To people who are making fun on name 'Adore'. Some examples already in our market - Laura, Punto, Linea, Vento, Amaze, Dzire, Verna, Figo, Ameo, Brio, Etios and Liva. Which one make sense? All sounds awkward to Indians right? 'Adore' is very much in-line with above names.

How about Creta, Eeco, Ertiga, Duster and Lodgy? Which one makes sense?

See I did not even bother listing Mahindra vehicle names

Last edited by Latheesh : 20th February 2016 at 14:59. Reason: typo
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th February 2016, 15:36   #101
Senior - BHPian

Not the best three choices, I'm sure. They aren't four letter words, and are not catchy. The best of the lot is Tiago, but I'm still at a loss as to why they didn't just revert to the code name - Kite. They could even have used Kite-4 and reserved Kite-5 for the sedan.

Anyone know if Kite has already been registered by another automobile brand in India?
Old 21st February 2016, 00:00   #102
BHPian

If TATA is keen on naming the car based on a living thing, then they should be able to attribute certain qualities of the car with that name.I would suggest them to name this car as BEE. Sway could be named as STING or STINGER. A beehive is made up of hexagons all over. So HEXA also stays connected. I wish someone from TATA, holding a responsible position is reading this post
Passiondrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2016, 05:40   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_king View Post
......These names would have been passable in the perfume industry, I wouldn't be too keen to open a door of an Adore.
That about sums it up - tho' with those cute looks, the name doesn't sound so bad!
Old 21st February 2016, 20:07   #104
BHPian

It's best if Tata Motors stick to Kite with a post fix to differentiate its hatch and sedan variants.

And I felt Tata should have identified a new name on its own. Social media has its own pros and cons.
All done now. Bring it on soon!
Old 21st February 2016, 20:14   #105
BHPian

From the limited options made available, Tiago sounds good. I don't know the meaning of Tiago, but it sounds sophisticated and classy, though meaningless. 2nd best is 'Adore'.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks