Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2020, 18:15   #556

Re: Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016

We have a BMW X1 xDrive 20d xLine, purchased in Feb ‘17. The car is about to complete 4 years, and has given us a peaceful ownership experience, and sheer driving pleasure on the highways. The car has the older iDrive system, without apple car play (a feature that now is ubiquitous). Is there anyway to upgrade the iDrive system along with the supporting electronics, to support apple car play? I checked with Deutsche Motoren in whitefield - they are stating that this cannot be done.

PS: My family members have been spoilt by driving other cars from lower segments that sport apple car play - that’s why this question.
Old 11th February 2021, 19:56   #557
BHPian

Got ceramic coating done from BMW ASS on my 2019 X120dsline. While the swirl marks have gone away and there is more shine, the yellowness hasn't gone away completely. Any suggestions on what can be done? Should I request the dealer to redo the detailing or is this level of yellow tinge normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.53.02-pm.jpeg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.52.30-pm.jpeg  

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-whatsapp-image-20210211-7.53.26-pm.jpeg  

sid_deb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2021, 22:07   #558
RJV

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I've been using the 235/50 R18 Yoko C drive tubeless tyres for the past 3 years. Threw away the stock RFT in the first year thanks to a tyre burst (blessing in disguise).
+1. I have an X1 X Line S drive bought in Feb 2018. The ODO is currently at 42XXX. Changed the tyres to tubeless at around 20000 KMS (235/50 R18) and there was a substantial change in ride quality. I would strongly recommend a change to tubeless tyres to fellow X1 users.

Also it an added advantage that we have a proper dedicated spare wheel compartment in the boot for the extra tyre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT
My X1s battery gave up last week and that's when I logged in and saw your post. Hope this will be helpful for all the X1 owners.
Could you elaborate more on this? How much time did your battery last, was it the original battery you were running on, you got it changed at an authorized service center or from a FNG, and the costs involved?

PS - The pictures shared by you of your ride is beautiful.
RJV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2021, 16:21   #559
BHPian

Hello,

Posting after a while. After 3 years of terrible ride experience and uncertain highway rides with the Pirelli RFTs I finally decided to ditch the RFTs all together. This step was majorly after our front right tire got torn off completely while on the highway on our way to Rajasthan and our trip got delayed by 3hrs because the donut we had has certain limitations. Earlier also we have faced such problems with the tires but this incident really got to us because it was damn important to reach on time.

On our way back we bought a new tire from a local dealer which was 150km away from where the tire burst, our donut helped us reach there since the RFT was just gone. No RFT replacement was available anywhere nearby. It was a tubeless tire, stock size, Bridgestone Turanza 225/50/R18, now the 800km drive back home on a front wheel driven car with left tire RFT and right tire a tubeless. This drive was alone enough to convince me for the switch.

The left suspension feel, sounds on every bump and road noise were noticeably unpleasant as compared to the tubeless which was just gliding smoothly. I came back the whole distance without putting on any music just to notice these differences. Now, I have the 17'' Turanzas in my VW T-Roc and have done 18,000 km in it so I can safely say it's not a bad tire at all. My T-Roc on a nicely made highway, 80km/h, low rpm is almost EV levels of silent so it's only the tire noise coming in and its decently silent and city performance is above average as well.

Came back started contacting dealers. I was pretty clear that I wanted (in the order of preference) Michelin, Yoko or Bridgestone. Now in Delhi, there's severe shortage of Michelin and Yoko both. Specially in the odd size of 225/50/R18, the options were severely limited in my first 2 preferred brands. So after a day spent on researching and calls I got my hands on 2 options:-

Option 1:- Michelin Primacy 4 ---> 235/50/R18

Option 2:- Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ---> 245/40/R18

I went with the option 1 simply because of the primary driver of the car, his way of driving and majorly due to the intended use of the car.

235/50/R18 seemed like the best of all the worlds for the X1. I've only driven them for 90km yet and the difference is HUGE. The steering weighs up nicely, the road noise has gone down drastically and that piece of mind of not ripping the tire apart on a pothole.

Hope this helps anyone who was in doubt about the shift from RFTs. Just note that I'm not saying RFTs are bad but I'm definitely saying those stock Pirellis are total crap. Maybe if it was a 3 series or 5 I would've gone with the PS4 but for now, will ride on the Primacy 4.
namanchaudhary is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 13:26   #560
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 Key Fob Battery Low.

2 days back got error on iDrive that key fob battery was low. Was surprising since it went low in 3 years. My Vento TDi key battery still going strong for 10+ years.
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5910.jpg

Referred the Manual and it said to replace with CR 2032 3V. Luckily had spare with me since these batteries are common and also used in other electronics
Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5925.jpg

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5926.jpg

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-img_5928.jpg

Sent a message to Bhpian Maverick5490 who is BMW Workshop Manager at Infinity Cars, Navi Mumbai. He gave a go ahead that I can do it on my own. He also said battery lasts for 2 years.

Cost: Rs. 40.

Amazon Purchase Link

OEM installed key fob battery was also Panasonic Made in Indonesia.

No more error message on iDrive. All good.

Here is a video explaining the procedure.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th June 2021, 18:18   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
2 days back got error on iDrive that key fob battery was low. Was surprising since it went low in 3 years. My Vento TDi key battery still going strong for 10+ years.
Vento has a very basic key fob and the car does not even have a push button start/stop system. I have experienced that key fobs with keyless start consume a lot more power compared to other basic ones.
BMW's key also stores other maintenance data which is read by the workshops during routine servicing, could be a factor for the much lower life span. Mine lasted 3 years and i also replaced the battery at home like you.
coolboy007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th October 2021, 11:38   #562
BHPian

Has anyone replaced their X1 battery? What are the costs and options for this? I've been quoted 37k by the workshop.
Old 12th December 2021, 22:23   #563
BHPian

The dealer will replace your battery if your car is under warranty (BRI) in either case you should get it done from the dealer because the new battery will need to be programmed. Avoid getting this done outside.
adi58 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2022, 21:56   #564
Senior - BHPian

Hello, sorry for bumping an old thread but I was hoping for some advice.

I visited the bmw showroom to take a look at a new diesel X1, expecting some good discounts since the all new generation is right around the corner (I expect it to launch next year). Sadly, due to the current market, BMW is offering no discounts at all and it comes out to 53l onroad. To add insult to injury, they have gotten rid of the AWD x-drive variant and are solely offering FWD now due to chip shortage. It feels weird to pay more for a lesser variant of the same car that has been on sale for the past 6 years. Walked away feeling feeling like the new GLA is a way better deal even though its a few lakhs more expensive. I did really like the suspension and responsiveness of the X1 though, it is the sportiest feeling compact SUV I have driven.

I have been on the lookout for used X1s and finally found a single owner 2017 AWD m-sport variant going for 25l which feels like a good deal in the current market conditions. Only problem is that it has run about 85k kms. Now the normal service costs of 30-40k at authorised BMW dealers do not bother me but I am vary of catastrophic issues like engine failure or something that will end up costing lakhs to fix and the car will never go back to normal. I already have another car so it spending a few days in the garage won't bother me either but I would very much prefer not to be stranded on a roadtrip or end up with a range rover/jaguar situation where something cannot be resolved even after numerous service center visits. Is the f48 X1 more reliable considered to more expensive models from BMW?

The lower cost is also a big bonus since I can put the remaining 30l into my portfolio which should make up for the running costs of the car which I plan to keep for the next 3 years.
Old 26th June 2022, 08:31   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I visited the bmw showroom to take a look at a new diesel X1, expecting some good discounts since the all new generation is right around the corner.
I was exploring BMW X1 a few weeks ago and was able to get the price as low as 49L OTR here in Bangalore. 52L was the standard after discounts but after a bit of competition among two dealers, it was possible to reduce more.

Try other dealers and see if they have some older stock (5-6 months).

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th June 2022 at 11:28. Reason: Trimmed quoted post.
Smartomotive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th June 2022, 12:02   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
I visited the bmw showroom to take a look at a new diesel X1, expecting some good discounts since the all new generation is right around the corner (I expect it to launch next year). Sadly, due to the current market, BMW is offering no discounts at all and it comes out to 53l onroad.
The fastest moving car for BMW India is the X1 even till now, considering the heavy demand, many dealerships are simply refusing discounts. When I was in the market for a luxury car last year, the discount offered on the X1 20i Petrol was 2-3 Lakh on the OTR price, bringing it to 45 Lakh OTR w/o the BSI/BRI though. Ended up with it’s bigger brother, that’s another story.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2022, 23:18   #567
Senior - BHPian

BMW X1 20d Battery Replacement

X1 20d started giving symptoms of weak battery which included
  • DRL flickering at the time of starting car
  • iDrive going blank during cranking
  • Not able to start in 1st crank. Happened once.
  • Tachometer taking 1 second to reach correct rpm.
  • Longer crank time

X1 is 4 yrs 3 months old with 40,500 Kms on ODO.

Average life of battery is said to be 4 yrs as per BMW Service Advisor.
Even lesser for BMW X5 & X7.

Costs:
New BMW AGM Battery 70 Ah Costs: Rs 35,423
Labor & Reprogramming Costs: Rs, 10,000

Since car was under BRI, all this was done under extended warranty free of cost.

Time taken: 2 Days
Since various tests need to be done to get battery approved by BMW.
If battery somehow shows up as Non-Genuine on their scan, you can assume additional 1 more day to sort things out. Happened with me.

X1 back to starting all fine in one go, just like Day 1.

How to save costs?
Same AGM Varta battery 70 Ah is available with Swastikfab Fabs for Rs 23,200.
Anyone knows how much does installation and programming cost from outside?

BMW Joy Rewards
It covers Battery replacement. Offers 14% - 30% discount on parts.
So might work similar to getting battery outside.

BMW Joy Rewards Link

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-bmw-x1-battery-70-ah.jpg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th July 2022, 07:30   #568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
X1 is 4 yrs 3 months old with 40,500 Kms on ODO.
Since car was under BRI, all this was done under extended warranty
Hey, I'm not complaining (), but how did a 4 year old battery get 100% covered by BRI?

I believe BRI covers one battery replacement within the package period. Didn't know, good to hear this..

On another note, 10K to 'program' a battery sounds ridiculous.

Good discussion here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4827655

Last edited by vb-saan : 19th July 2022 at 11:29. Reason: Back to back posts merged. Thank you
Old 19th July 2022, 13:31   #569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Hey, I'm not complaining (), but how did a 4 year old battery get 100% covered by BRI?
I doubt there is any such rule.

As long as car is under BRI BMW Repair Inclusive Extended Warranty, BMW would replace the battery free of cost.

I have BRI till 6th year, will update of future replacement.
Old 12th October 2022, 12:03   #570
Senior - BHPian

BMW Technical Campaign
Engine: 20d Diesel
Model: X1 2018

BMW India is running a Technical Campaign for 20d diesel engines where they are updating the ECU due to finding of possibility of fire in intake systems over a period of time. Attached notice below.

Time taken: 4 Hours
Charges: Free of cost

Thanks to Bhpian Maverick5490 who is BMW Workshop Manager at Infinity Cars, Navi Mumbai for expediting the process.

A free wash at workshop and X1 is back.

Difference Felt after update:
Engine feels more smoother.

Problem faced after update:
Memory seats had to be saved again. Car retained the saved profile but was somehow placing seat too ahead. So had to push seat back and re-save. Even after importing profile from USB didn't help. Memory Seats are sacrosanct for me.

Next Gen BMW X1 Launched @ Auto Expo 2016-bmw-technical-campaign.jpeg
el lobo 6061 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks