Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2017, 12:11   #571
BHPian

Re: Honda working on City Facelift. EDIT: Launched at Rs 8.5 lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinsadeep View Post
However, if you are looking for a decently built, reliable sedan with good residuals and not so expensive maintenance costs (I wouldn't call it cheap at all), I still feel City is a solid choice. If I were to put my money on it I'd go with Petrol VMT which at 9.99L ex-showroom is decent value too. Higher variants are not worth the price IMHO.
I second it without any arguments. If it is CITY - it has to be a Petrol V MT and no higher variants. If one prefers an AT - still there is a remarkable difference in the price between VMT and VMT(CVT) which is not cheap.
Old 17th February 2017, 12:16   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highh5 View Post
If i have to shell that much money, will bought Chevy Cruze any day only if GM assures that they won't shut shop for the next five years atleast.
This is precisely what won't happen. I say this from my own experience, as i recently was comparing between the two about a couple of months back.

True, that the Honda City ZX will be close to 17 OTR, where Cruze top AT model was a shade under 18.5 OTR in Delhi. Still, there are many a thing that the general junta of India looks for which City offers and Cruze does not offer such as Space (more in the City), After Sales (Honda has a general perception of being better) etc, and the biggest one is Re-sale.

Cruze barely sells and has pathetic re-sale value to say the least, this is where Honda City is miles ahead of Chevy. The other D - segment sedans are nowhere close to 17 lakhs OTR. Cross-shopping between these two segments will only happen if a person is in the market with a budget of about 18-19 Lakhs, whereas a person with 15-16 Lakhs may think of extending it till 17 but shall definitely not go upto the entry level D segment levels.

Agree, that the higher variant pricing is bordering on haughty & atrocious, but still Honda has played this correct IMO, there target market will not have the money to go upto the D segment levels where cars with similar features will be close to 4-5 Lakhs more than the City.

Just FYI, i bought the CVT VX which costed me just above 13 lakhs OTR in Delhi, and i DID install LED lights & touch AVN at the dealer level as i was getting a good deal there. With all these things along with EW, RSA, Honda Connect et all, i paid 13.90 Lakhs to the dealer.

All said and done, the ONLY thing that the ZX model has going for itself is the 6 airbags for sure.

Last edited by Prodigyy : 17th February 2017 at 12:37. Reason: Typo & Addition
Old 17th February 2017, 12:24   #573
BHPian

I wish Honda would consider launching a manual petrol ZX variant and give it black leather interiors along with the existing features of the ZX CVT. I would happily go ahead and book one. They had done it on the pre-facelift City by launching the VX BL variant.

According to CarWale.com, the VX MT (petrol) works out to approximately 13.22 on-road (Kolkata). I don't mind the pricing of the VX MT as I had picked mine up last year for about 12.50 on-road (including registration, insurance, taxes, accessories, etc.).

However, the ZX CVT works out to about 15.32 on-road (Kolkata). No matter how I look at it, 15+ for a City is just silly. I would rather spend a bit more and jump into the Elantra (for VFM) / Octavia (for performance) / Corolla (for reliability) segment.

My friend is booking himself a petrol VX MT today, so will compare it side-by-side to my pre-facelift VX MT to see is it really worth the price increase.
Old 17th February 2017, 13:27   #574
BHPian

I read a lot about German quality on this forum and looking at the luxury cars or even Jetta/Octavia segment of vehicles, they do seem and feel premium. However, whenever I have looked at vento, it neither looks nor feels premium to me. There is no innovation in terms of the external styling, interior quality and fitment etc. It may have the engine and gearbox going for it, but it's not as if it is leagues ahead of the competition. Just because it is from a German manufacturer it can't be said to be better than the competition. It is essentially a sub-compact sedan developed for third world countries (meaning cheap) and carries none of the premium the famed Germans are known for. In the current scenario, Ciaz and Honda city seem to be offering the best value propositions, the Vento just doesn't cut it for me
aviraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 14:20   #575
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
I read a lot about German quality on this forum and looking at the luxury cars or even Jetta/Octavia segment of vehicles, they do seem and feel premium. However, whenever I have looked at vento, it neither looks nor feels premium to me. There is no innovation in terms of the external styling, interior quality and fitment etc. It may have the engine and gearbox going for it, but it's not as if it is leagues ahead of the competition. Just because it is from a German manufacturer it can't be said to be better than the competition. It is essentially a sub-compact sedan developed for third world countries (meaning cheap) and carries none of the premium the famed Germans are known for. In the current scenario, Ciaz and Honda city seem to be offering the best value propositions, the Vento just doesn't cut it for me
As a former City owner (gen. 2) and current Vento TSI owner, I completely disagree with you. I actually booked the current City but was highly disappointed by the interiors, fit/finish and the fact that they were retaining the third gen's engine. In contrast, the Vento was better built with better interior quality, offered 6 years of anti-corrosion warranty (which no other manufacturer in India gives), had ESP, reach and tilt adjust steering and a thoroughly modern engine/gearbox combo.

In my third year of ownership, I can tell you this. There are numerous little episodes I've had with the Vento that have caused little to no damage. Things that would have caused a massive dent in my City barely register with the Vento. It is one solidly built car. It gives me the same mileage as my i-DSI City did, despite being heavier and an automatic. Today, you get features like LED lights and the same advantages I have mentioned for lesser money than the top-end City.
StarScream is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:03   #576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Today, you get features like LED lights and the same advantages I have mentioned for lesser money than the top-end City.
Vento Highline Plus 1.2 TSI DSG is priced at 12.93 lakh ex showroom Delhi. The equally specced City VX CVT is only 12.85 lakh ex showroom. Except the gearbox, external sheet metal thickness and ESP, City wins in all other areas. Vento loses out on features (sunroof etc), back seat comfort and space, reliability etc. That is reflected in the sales charts too. City VX and ZX are definitely overpriced, but Vento thumps everything else in the pricing department.
deerhunter is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:34   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhunter View Post
Except the gearbox, external sheet metal thickness and ESP, City wins in all other areas.
It's not just the gearbox and a few other things, the Vento has the only turbo-charged, direct injection petrol engine in the segment. That, ESP and better build quality that doesn't send me rushing to the painting and denting shop, matters more to me than a sunroof.

There is no doubt the City has more space, if that matters most to a buyer then the City is a better car. It didn't matter to me. Also I'm not sure how you can compare a non-turbo engine with a pedestrian CVT with Audi-level tech (TSI+DSG) and compare them on par.

Reliability is an open question in my mind. So far, in 3 years I've had zero issues with the Vento.
Old 17th February 2017, 15:36   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
However, whenever I have looked at vento, it neither looks nor feels premium to me.
Quote:
It is one solidly built car. I
This, gentlemen, is why we are human. Our brains focus very differently on what's value for each person. I, like StarScream and others, love a subtle car, with a good heavy "feel" and reasonably good mileage. Yes, it's an older car and yes, it's got the infamous VWASS backing, but it's just enjoyable to drive. Others, including you, aviraj, may find the City definitely more fun just because it's loaded with tech, comes with a great motor and has good level of refinement, space and comfort.

What I am pointing out is that there are no absolutes. When we do talk tin absolutes (no innovation, no safety, no refinement etc...etc.) that's solely based on one's perception of what they consider value or not value. Period.

Also, boy! this thread has enough material comparing the City to others that it could be a great source for a C-Segment shootout.
Mad Max is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:44   #579
BHPian

Quote:
It's not just the gearbox and a few other things, the Vento has the only turbo-charged, direct injection petrol engine in the segment. That, ESP and better build quality that doesn't send me rushing to the painting and denting shop, matters more to me than a sunroof.

There is no doubt the City has more space, if that matters most to a buyer then the City is a better car. It didn't matter to me. Also I'm not sure how you can compare a non-turbo engine with a pedestrian CVT with Audi-level tech (TSI+DSG) and compare them on par.
I agree with you on the part that TSI maybe better suited to you. That is a personal decision and I respect that.

But for a typical Indian buyer looking for a petrol automatic family sedan, Vento DSG doesnt appeal much. This whole criticism of the facelifted City is mainly on its pricing, and I agree that. But then what about the Vento pricing? They are pricing it higher than everything else, and that too for an 8 year old car. No wonder Vento is always at the bottom of the C2 segment sales chart.

Last edited by deerhunter : 17th February 2017 at 15:46.
deerhunter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 15:57   #580
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree with you on the part that TSI maybe better suited to you. That is a personal decision and I respect that.

But for a typical Indian buyer looking for a petrol automatic family sedan, Vento DSG doesnt appeal much. This whole criticism of the facelifted City is mainly on its pricing, and I agree that. But then what about the Vento pricing? They are pricing it higher than everything else, and that too for an 8 year old car. No wonder Vento is always at the bottom of the C2 segment sales chart.
I guess I'm not a typical buyer. I saw it as getting Audi tech at C-segment prices. You're right about the body shell being old but it's a design that ages well with clean lines and a timeless character to it. In other words, it didn't matter to me. Similarly, the intrinsic modernity of the core elements (engine/gearbox/ESP) justified the price. I understand that is not something that resonates with many buyers.

This is a car I drive myself and so I thoroughly enjoy its advantages. If I used a driver, perhaps my needs and requirements would have been very different.
StarScream is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 16:17   #581
Senior - BHPian

Interesting discussion and feedback going on about the 2017 Facelift. Being a 2014 Honda City owner, if I look at the features that have been added, there was no reason to wait the 3 years for Honda. My perspective is, Honda has not really added any new technology that got introduced in the last 3 years.

Touchscreen: Touchscreen Audio and Navigation systems were available since 2014. In fact the Ciaz launched in 2014 came with the Touchscreen. They did not even include Android Auto or Apple Car Play in the DigiPad now in 2017.

DRL: Lower segment cars like i20 had the DRLs in 2014 and maybe even before. They did not add Projector Headlights.

16 Inch, Diamond Cut Alloy Wheels: The Verna offered similarly good looking Alloy wheels in 2014 and before itself.

So its a very "mild" facelift and nothing too big to get excited about.
While I am happy being the owner of a 2014 Honda City and have no complaints about my car, If I were to buy a car today, and compare between the City and the Ciaz, I guess I may have tilted in favor of the Ciaz given my preference for a Diesel Engine

Last edited by vsrivatsa : 17th February 2017 at 16:18.
Old 17th February 2017, 16:27   #582
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
DRL: Lower segment cars like i20 had the DRLs in 2014 and maybe even before. They did not add Projector Headlights.
City top end comes with all LED headlights now, which is a class above projectors as well. The only the cars offering the same in the budget range being the new Vento and Innova Crysta.

Quote:
Vento Highline Plus 1.2 TSI DSG is priced at 12.93 lakh ex showroom Delhi. The equally specced City VX CVT is only 12.85 lakh ex showroom. Except the gearbox, external sheet metal thickness and ESP, City wins in all other areas.
Vento 1.2 TSi is genuine 5 star rated safety, due to the presence of ESP. City, at best would qualify only for 4 stars.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 17th February 2017 at 16:31.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 16:38   #583
BHPian

Hello All,

I have visited to check the Honda City 2017 in flesh. I did not find much difference when compared to the previous version.

Noticeable Changes:
1) Refreshed front and rear bumpers and lights
2) DRLs standard on all Variants
3) New 7 inch touchscreen

Please find some pics on youtube of New Honda City 2017.

engine_charan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 16:46   #584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Vento 1.2 TSi is genuine 5 star rated safety, due to the presence of ESP. City, at best would qualify only for 4 stars.
The ratings are not just made 4 or 5 stars alone on the basis of structural integrity or some safety features.

Both City and Vento were rated 5 stars in NCAP test conducted outside India. This is not only due to the presence of ESP but for other features such as Passenger seat belt reminders, child protection seats, 6 airbags etc.

So, even if Vento have ESP and tested in India it may not get 5 stars may be due to lack of other features. Similarly, City also won't get 5 stars despite have child safety feature like ISOFIX (i guess its a child safety feature) but loses out on ESP.

But the basic point is this. Both these cars as well as other cars rated 5 stars are extremely safe for all the passengers wearing seat belts and travelling at a speed not exceeding 64 km/h.

The NCAP test needs to be conducted in India and only those cars with a minimum rating of 3 or 4 should be allowed to ply on roads. That would be a really interesting one and Maruti would be the one who will suffer a lot.

Last edited by adarsh76 : 17th February 2017 at 16:48.
adarsh76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2017, 16:47   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
I am not sure if that is true. Passing side impact test is a prerequisite for 5 star rating. I dont think Vento, without side and curtain airbags, will score above 4 stars. I maybe wrong though.

Quote:
From September 2013, side impact test (UN R95) had been introduced as a new pre-requisite in AOP for 4-Star and above (pass-fail).
Link

Quote:
From January 2015, ASEAN NCAP has introduced side impact test (UN R95) as a new pre-requisite for 3-Star and above.
Link

Infact it may not even score 4 stars.

Last edited by deerhunter : 17th February 2017 at 17:03.
deerhunter is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks