Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2016, 18:24   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitahirrao View Post
I recently saw the final production model which was used for TV commercial shoot. The production model looks exactly similar to the concept showcased. Same metallic grey colour front and rear spoiler as well as side skirts. The engine noise is very much prominent inside the cabin. Now this is because the company wants to feel the sportiness of the car inside the cabin or its lack of refinement?
I too felt the same about engine noise. I had seen this car in person last year. I have Baleno 1.2 petrol and 1.0 boosterjet engine sound was higher. It's a 3 cylinder engine. Baleno 1.2 is dead silent and 1.0 makes its presence felt, thanks to 3 cylinder engine.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2016, 19:13   #257
BHPian

re: The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh

Just a wild thought!

How about adding a turbo to the 1.2L NA engine? I know the process is very complicated.

Is the process somewhat similar to what Nikhil and Bhuvan have in their CIVICs?
Old 23rd December 2016, 21:34   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetsetgo08 View Post
Pardon me, if its a repost.

This is how it should sound , forward it to 1:30 -
0-100 time of 9.67 seconds is good for this 6 speed automatic. This is almost equal to that of Polo TSI.
How I wish Maruti should launch same transmission with Baleno RS in India.
Any idea what kind of auto transmission is it, CVT or Dual clutch?

Last edited by born_free : 23rd December 2016 at 21:37.
Old 24th December 2016, 00:49   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
Any idea what kind of auto transmission is it, CVT or Dual clutch?
Neither. I think it's just a 6-speed conventional automatic/torque converter.

Baleno Boosterjet in Australia-Review
jetsetgo08 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 10:54   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Received on Facebook from a trusted source.

Looks like the real deal.

The Maruti Baleno RS: 1.0L turbo-petrol engine. EDIT: Launched at Rs. 8.69 lakh-brs.jpg
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 31st December 2016, 11:40   #261
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure about the turbo 1 l engine. Recently i got to drive a Alfa Romeo MiTo TwinAir 875cc which is 105 hp, it was disappointing because you always had to keep it in high revs.
Old 31st December 2016, 18:36   #262
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
I am not sure about the turbo 1 l engine. Recently i got to drive a Alfa Romeo MiTo TwinAir 875cc which is 105 hp, it was disappointing because you always had to keep it in high revs.
What the turbo does is to boost the torque at higher RPM. As engines with turbos have smaller capacity (cc) than the non turbo ones, the low end suffers compared to the older engines.

Most engines designed for high revs have the peak torque near the top and not at the low end, so they have to be revved high and used near the top one third opf the range. The Alto K10 and the older Baleno and Esteem have high revving engines and you have to be generally above 2500 RPM to get any decent performance.
Old 31st December 2016, 20:03   #263
Senior - BHPian

Aroy jee, you may be rite as it seems that you know technical things related to turbo, as a layman what i know is that i find the 1 l Alto K10 more drive able. i have been using my K10 regular for last 7k kms. and it has never felt sluggish or actually laggish.
Rest we will wait for the RS to launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
What the turbo does is to boost the torque at higher RPM. As engines with turbos have smaller capacity (cc) than the non turbo ones, the low end suffers compared to the older engines.

Most engines designed for high revs have the peak torque near the top and not at the low end, so they have to be revved high and used near the top one third opf the range. The Alto K10 and the older Baleno and Esteem have high revving engines and you have to be generally above 2500 RPM to get any decent performance.
Old 18th January 2017, 16:16   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Baleno RS is set for a Feb 2017 launch, spied again ,

RS Badge?
It looks like Baleno RS from an exterior standpoint, we get side skirts, Black alloy wheels (Same old Boring pattern) and an RS badge!

So, any news on the launch date?
Old 18th January 2017, 17:02   #265
Senior - BHPian

I'm no fan of turbo petrol's. The lag catches you out and is a pain to drive in the city and fuel efficiency isn't that great either. In our stop and go traffic: there's no way of slipping clutch and moving forward you have to drop down a gear or you stall! There is more pain than pleasure to be had with a tiny capacity turbo petrol. Coupled with the added cost I feel it wouldn't be worth it. Just take the Ecosport Ecoboost as example, it hasn't exactly set the charts afire, has it? Probably the 'bantam' weight of the Baleno may help it's case. Remains to be seen when launched in a few weeks.

Last edited by Durango Dude : 18th January 2017 at 17:08.
Old 18th January 2017, 19:04   #266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
It is the other way round my friend. Torque comes in much earlier and towards the bottom of the rev range in turbo charged engines. If you take a look at the peak torque developed for turbo charged engines, it is mostly under the 2500rpm mark. Compare this to naturally aspirated engines where peak torque is developed at 4500rpm and above. Big difference there.

From experience, I will admit that some tiny turbo petrol's don't feel all that great. The Ford 1l Ecobboost as an example. It needs to be worked a bit to wake up. The same can't be said for the VW Tsi and Fiat T Jet motors. There is ample torque and the engines are very responsive.

Turbo charged engines come at various capacities. They are not limited to small capacity engines.
sandeepmohan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th January 2017, 08:48   #267
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durango Dude View Post
I'm no fan of turbo petrol's. The lag catches you out and is a pain to drive in the city and fuel efficiency isn't that great either. In our stop and go traffic: there's no way of slipping clutch and moving forward you have to drop down a gear or you stall! There is more pain than pleasure to be had with a tiny capacity turbo petrol. Coupled with the added cost I feel it wouldn't be worth it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
It is the other way round my friend. Torque comes in much earlier and towards the bottom of the rev range in turbo charged engines. If you take a look at the peak torque developed for turbo charged engines, it is mostly under the 2500rpm mark. Compare this to naturally aspirated engines where peak torque is developed at 4500rpm and above. Big difference there.

Partially agree with both. The K10 engine itself has a bad low end. It is annoying below 1500 RPM when driving solo and 2K RPM when the car is loaded. The boosterjet should make things better, since I read that peak torque comes at 2K RPM that means the 1K to 2K RPM shouldnt be that bad as long as the weight is less and the initial gears are short. However, giving an automatic transmission would be the best idea, which can ensure that the car is always in the powerband and responsive. That is the difference I felt after driving both the manual and AMT versions of the K10 engine. The automatic is way more fun to drive and zippy compared to the manual if one is not interested in manually downshifting now and then. The AMT ensures that the engine is mostly above 1.5K RPM, also prepared for a further downshift and covering gaps in traffic is not at all a difficult thing.

If this car comes with a 6 speed auto, I might consider this instead of the GT-Tsi which I am currently looking forward to in a few months.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2017, 11:44   #268
BHPian

Might sound a bit of off topic, is the Baleno 1.2 CVT expected to launch in the Alpha trim any time soon? Alpha 1.2 retails at ₹7.2 lakhs ex showroom Delhi. With the Alpha RS expected to cost at least a lakh above the Alpha 1.2, Maruti can look at pricing the Alpha 1.2 CVT at around ₹8.2 lakhs (on par with the Alpha RS).
Old 22nd January 2017, 20:17   #269
Senior - BHPian

I hope it will be launched with an automatic variant, which will meet my requirements - a spacious, fun to drive hatch back with automatic transmission. Polo GT TSi does not meet the space criteria.
Old 22nd January 2017, 21:06   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I hope it will be launched with an automatic variant, which will meet my requirements
No it will not come in the AT configuration. It will be a MT and only in the Alpha trim.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks