Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Preview: Ford Endeavour

Mod Note: Our Endeavour Report has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the new thread. Thanks!

Team-BHP was invited for the 2015 Ford Everest / Endeavour preview at Chiang Rai, Thailand.

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2016 at 16:53.
S2!!! is offline   (68) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

India was introduced to the first generation Endeavour in 2003. Priced at Rs. 12.90 lakh, it was the most affordable premium SUV back then. Localisation levels were at 20% and the company targeted sales of 150 units each month. The Endeavour's two main disadvantages were its bumpy ride quality (leaf spring suspension) and low-placed middle row seat. What worked for it however, were the butch looks, superb reliability, go-anywhere ability and the sheer road presence it commanded due to its mammoth dimensions. Over the years, the Endeavour went through several engine, transmission & styling updates.

The game-changing Fortuner arrived in 2009. Since then, Toyota has been dominating the premium SUV segment in India, leaving all competitors (including the Endeavour) completely sidelined. Till date, the 'Big T' manages to roll out 4-digit units of its SUV month after month, while the 'Blue Oval' managed low triple digits till 2013, after which it did double digit sales. Ford also began concentrating on its mass market cars and diverted all of its attention to the Figo and then the EcoSport, which became the company's bread-and-butter models in India. The Endeavour had gotten too old to compete anyway.

This all-new Endeavour was developed at Ford's Melbourne design center (check it out), and first showcased at the Bangkok Motor Show in 2014. It is likely to make its way to India in a quarter or two! Just the right time too. Ford's research suggests that by the year 2020, the Indian premium SUV segment is likely to grow to ~50,000 units annually (from the current ~20,000 units). Additionally, the next-generation Fortuner is poised for launch in early 2016 (link to news article). The new Endeavour couldn't be coming a moment too soon...the earlier Endeavour had gotten so outdated.

Before we dive into the new model, let's get one thing out of the way - even this new-gen SUV will be called the 'Endeavour' in India. This is because Ford couldn't register the 'Everest' name here (it's already trademarked by someone else). India is the only market where it won't be known as the 'Everest'.

Like its predecessors, the new Endeavour is also based on the (2015) Ranger pick-up truck platform. The earlier generation was engineered by Mazda and based on the Mazda B-series pickup truck. The new Endeavour has been fully designed and developed by Ford, built on an all-new T6 platform, which will serve as a base for future Ford SUVs and pickup trucks. Just like the Fortuner & Pajero Sport, the 2015 Endeavour is a full-size body-on-frame SUV with 3 rows of seats. Body-on-frame UVs are generally more robust than their monocoque counterparts (e.g. CR-V, Santa Fe), but the latter offer superior dynamics & also weigh substantially lesser.

Measuring 4,893 mm in length, 1,862 mm in width and 1,836 mm in height, it retains the butch looks and has a masculine aura that'll please all. The 2015 Endeavour looks macho, and is a lot more contemporary than its predecessor. The design isn't over the top and portrays a blend of modern yet old-school characteristics. I like the fact that they have retained the bulky, boxy look and still made it modern enough. The styling will be a big draw in India. Thankfully, this SUV hasn't gone the fluidic way like the new-generation models of its core competitors i.e. the Fortuner and Pajero Sport. I just wish that the spare wheel was tail-mounted to give it that full 'SUV' look (it's moved under the vehicle).

This car is surely going to be a favourite among those who love chrome. The Endeavour has a healthy dose of it all around. Dominating the front is a large, hexagonal chrome grill sporting the blue oval. The large ORVMs, door handles, side air-vent garnish and rear numberplate garnish are all dressed in chrome. The silver skid plates, roof rails and 20" alloy wheels only add to the SUV's gangsta image.

The Endeavours I drove were Thai-spec models and came loaded with a host of safety features such as seven Airbags, Hill Start Assist, Curve Control, Roll Stability Control, Electronic Stability Program, Blind Spot Detection and ABS + EBD. Additionally, they had Ford's Terrain Management System, Electronic Locking Rear Differential and an Active Transfer Case (more on these later). Intelligent tech like park assist and Ford's SYNC2 were included in the international variant. Ford claims that a lot of the safety equipment we saw will make it to India.

Ford is also focussing on improving its ownership experience in the country. As of now, schemes like a 'personalised' annual maintenance package, transparent spare prices (rates will be published on Ford's website) and over-the-counter sale of spares (link to news article) are in the pipeline.

Contrary to the common perception of this being a CKD, the kits don't come in boxes, but they're assembled part-by-part in India. Like its earlier generation, local content contributes to 20% only and includes wiring harnesses, seats, the instrument panel and some of the trim material. The remaining parts for the Endeavour come from China, Thailand, North America, Europe and South America. These components are imported to Chennai, where they are assembled.

It has good road presence. The front looks imposing. If I were in my hatchback and I saw this in my IRVM, I'd move out of the way:

Loses the tail-mounted spare wheel. I'm not too sure if I like this crossover-ish rear:

It's actually 167 mm shorter, 74 mm wider and 11 mm taller than the older generation Endeavour. Wheelbase length has decreased by 10 mm. Looks well-proportioned now:

Designed in Australia, this SUV has retained the old-school, boxy styling and not gone the fluidic way as the upcoming Fortuner and Pajero Sport have. If you want macho, this is it:

Contrasting skid plates stand out on colours other than white and silver. I noticed that only the Titanium 4WD variants had badges on the tail gate. The lower variants don't:

Projector headlamps were standard across all variants. Notice the chrome underlining within the headlamp assembly:

A chunky, hexagonal chrome grill with the 'Ford' logo. Looks familiar, doesn't it?

Plastic skid plate, yet solid. The metal sheet below actually reduces drag and aids aerodynamics:

The skid plate extends to surround the foglamps:

Front parking sensors present on the Titanium variant:

It might not have an air-scoop like the current Fortuner, but this surely is one muscular bonnet, with various character lines:

265/50 tyres + sexy 20" wheels. We can only dream of getting these in India:

Forget the 20" wheels, we might not even get these 18" rims. 265/65 R17 tyres seem to be the most likely for India, keeping ride comfort & costs in mind:

The chrome garnish boasts the engine and gearbox onboard. This might seem like a fake air-vent, but a snorkel can be bolted on here:

Body coloured ORVMs with integrated turn indicators (these aren't LEDs). In the Titanium trim, ORVMs and door handles are in chrome:

The metal side step that you will be using to climb into and out of this tall SUV:

Ribbed roof. Don't miss the silver 'flush fitting' roof rails:

I would have expected an integrated antenna in this modern and expensive SUV:

LED tail-lamps look nice in action:

Chunky chrome number plate appliqué that runs across the breadth of the tailgate, connecting the tail lamps. It has the EVEREST badge engraved:

Just so that you don't scratch the paintwork while loading / unloading luggage, there is a black plastic cladding here. Boot release via an electromagnetic button:

The older Endeavour had its brake lights at this location, which is now occupied by reflectors:

A full-size spare tyre + steel wheel in the lower trims. The top variant gets a full-size spare with an alloy wheel:

At a time when SUVs are getting softer & softer, the Endeavour remains tough as nails. It has a wading depth of 800 mm i.e. only 100 mm lesser than the mighty Range Rover:

Equipped with Hill Descent Control, the driver can release the ABC pedals. Speed can be controlled using the cruise control buttons on the steering wheel:

I loved this bright red colour on the Endeavour. It feels equally at home here in the wild as well as in the parking lot of a luxury shopping complex. @ Ford, please do offer this colour in India:

Another colour that really suits the Endeavour:

225 mm of ground clearance is enough to tackle bad roads...or no roads at all:

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2015 at 08:13.
S2!!! is offline   (58) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

The first thing that you'll notice even before opening the door is that Ford gives you this really bulky flippy key with lock / unlock buttons. You'd expect pure keyless entry and go at this price, especially when the li'l EcoSport gets it. Ford's reason for not offering it is the crank-in-gear feature (more on this later).

You'll need the support of the metal side steps & A-Pillar mounted grab handles to climb inside the Endeavour. It isn't a car you can walk into...instead, you have to climb up. Once in, you'll realize that the interior is as new as the exterior. The design is simple and functional, yet very 2015. The Thai-spec car had two interior theme options - all-black and black & beige. I hope we get both these options here in India, though the black & beige is more likely. The beige interiors did look plusher than the all-black; the flipside being that they are prone to getting dirty and stain easily. The interiors are bright and airy (irrespective of the colour theme) thanks to the massive glass area all around. The optional dual-panel panoramic sunroof brings even more light into the cabin.

I never got a 'wow' feeling when I stepped in, but at the same time, it doesn't give me any reason to complain either. The interior is straight-forward and functional. Importantly, it's a big (read = BIG) step forward on the ol' Endeavour. Everything is well laid out and ergonomics are good (save for the awkwardly positioned ORVM switches). The buttons are 'L' sized and befit this large SUV. Plastic quality doesn't give you the premium feel like a VAG car (Jetta & Octavia), although it's comparable to an Elantra. It is worth mentioning here that there aren't any soft-touch plastics anywhere in the cabin. Our test cars had leather everywhere - seats, steering wheel, center armrest and door armrest. The dashboard top in the Titanium trim was wrapped in chocolate brown leather as well. The other two trims available are the Ambiente and Trend.

Get behind the wheel and you enjoy a commanding seating position. This is proper SUV stuff. I quite liked the front seats. They're wide and provide adequate support - both under-thigh as well as lateral. The driver's seat gets electronic fore-aft and height adjustment. Lumbar support is adjustable on both front seats (manually). The steering is a nice, chunky unit to hold. Too bad that it has way too many buttons and feels cluttered. Disappointingly, it can only adjust for rake and not reach.

Frontal & lateral visibility are good. Like other SUVs, you can see the bonnet. The large ORVMs are practical too. Those thick D-pillars hamper rearward and rear 3/4th visibility, but it isn't too bad. The top-end variant we drove had front and rear parking sensors + a reversing camera for convenience. Ford has also added the 'park-assist feature' that we'd seen in the VW Passat. It will steer the SUV into a parallel parking slot with the driver controlling only the accelerator, brake and gearshift. Unlike the Passat though, this system doesn't allow perpendicular parking, nor does it help you steer out of a parking spot. The Thai-spec Endeavour was equipped with a Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert to caution the driver of vehicles in his blind spot (most probably this feature won't make it to India).

The Endeavour gets the newer SYNC2 infotainment system (SYNC3 has just been released in the USA). It has an 8" touchscreen with colour-coded corners & easier voice commands. Owners can say simple things like "I'm hungry", "find a car park", "temperature 20 degrees" etc. and the voice command system obliges. The touch sensitivity was slow though and the system lagged quite a bit. A big thumbs down there! Sound quality from the 10-speaker audio system is good. At mid and high-level volumes, it offered decent punch, thanks to the subwoofer in the boot.

The cabin has adequate storage compartments inside which only adds to the practicality (Ford counts all the partitioned areas separately and says the Endeavour has a total of 30 storage bins!). Additionally, there are power points for all seat rows (including two 12v sockets at the front and a 3-point power pin for a laptop in the middle row).

The black and beige theme + a dark brown dashboard top and metallic grey inserts all across the cabin:

Even though this one is an electrically assisted power steering, it's precise and well-weighted. Nice and chunky unit; can be adjusted for rake only, not reach. Notice the sheer amount of buttons on it - a total of 22!

Big speedometer in the centre with 2 LCDs on either side. The left side is the phone & infotainment display, while the right side displays various other functions:

The illuminated needle looks awesome and the numbers are easy to read:

You could have a digital display for the tachometer, speedometer, temperature gauge etc. I would have preferred the tachometer to be larger in size; it is simply too small. Also, the vertical tachometer (in the bottom right picture) is extremely difficult to read when set in that mode:

MID offers the usual data set. You can disable some safety features if you so wish:

Customisations from the MID:

Warnings are thrown up on this screen too:

Cool features - Ford's MyKey as well as offroad tools such as an inclinometer & gyrometer:

The left screen has the entertainment and phone displays. It is colour coordinated too:

Funky stalks feel nice and durable. They're even positioned on the 'correct' side i.e. light controls on the right and wiper controls on the left. Endeavour has auto headlamps and rain-sensing wipers:

Rotary dial for the headlamps!

Button to operate the electric tailgate:

ORVM controls are awkwardly located. It takes some getting used to:

The Rs. 6 lakh Aspire and the much more expensive Endeavour share the same key. This premium SUV doesn't even get pure keyless entry and go:

Full beige doorpad with metallic grey inserts and matte silver door handles. The door bins can accommodate a 1L bottle + miscellaneous items:

All 4 windows get auto up / down in the Titanium trim:

Seats have electrical fore-aft + height adjustment. They're a comfy place to be in during those long drives:

Adjustable lumbar support on both front seats:

TWO door scuff plates!

The dead pedal had some padding, but felt slim. Notice the old school bonnet opening lever:

ORVMs are nice and wide. Time and again, you'll notice the reflection of the air-con vent (on the glass) due to their silver outline:

Grab handles on the A-pillar help with ingress / egress:

Chocolate brown leather + contrast double white stitching on top of the dashboard adds a premium touch:

Ford's 8" touchscreen with 10 speakers (including a subwoofer). Each corner of the screen is colour coded - yellow for phone (Bluetooth), red for entertainment, blue for climate control and green for information:

Sound quality is top notch. Touch sensitivity is slow and the system is too lethargic to respond:

ICE has a CD player too. These buttons felt a little too small. Notice the two 12V power sockets below:

AUX, SD card and 2 USB slots. There's even space to store your smartphone here:

You must be wondering why the Endeavour has 2 USB slots. One is for your entertainment and in the other, you can insert an internet dongle to create a WiFi zone. Interestingly, Ford's cheapest hatchback in India introduced a similar tech sometime ago (link to news article):

Parking sensor, park assist, traction control, rear diff lock and 4x4 low buttons:

This is Ford's Terrain Management System (similar to Range Rover's Terrain Response) with four driving modes - Normal, Snow (or Mud or Grass), Sand and Rock. The button in the middle is to activate Hill Descent Control:

Gear lever has a metallic grey trim and a leather base:

Pull the gear lever towards the right for 'Sport' mode. Manual mode too:

Ford has ditched the foot-operated handbrake for a conventional lever. The armrest is wide enough for both front occupants and is placed at a comfortable angle:

A well-segmented armrest console. Also notice the pen-holder on the underside of the lid:

Cup-holders beside the handbrake lever:

A place to park your sunglasses. Notice the motion sensors. These trigger the security alarm if they detect movement inside the vehicle (when locked):

Bluetooth mics and small cabin lights:

Like most SUVs, rearward visibility isn't the best due to the thick D-pillars:

See how thick those D-pillars are. Parking sensors and / or a reversing camera are mandatory for reversing this truck. Don't miss the little mic over the middle row:

Even the driver has a grab handle to hold on to. Notice the small mic besides it? That & the one seen above actually pick up unwanted noise inside the cabin and counter it with sounds from the speakers - Active Noise Cancellation feature:

Both sunvisors get vanity mirrors + illumination:

Smart looking! Metallic grey plate with the Everest badge on the dashboard. Also check out the silver inserts around the air-con vents:

Even the doors get the metallic grey insert. Armrest and area around it are padded:

Large glovebox with a dedicated slot for the owner's manual. No cooling vent or light in here:

Height-adjustable seatbelts:

An electric sunshade for the large sunroof. Many manufacturers act stingy and give a manual cover instead:

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2015 at 08:12.
S2!!! is offline   (50) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Let me start this post with the answer to what most current & prospective Endeavour owners want to know. Is the backseat as low as before? The answer to that is NO. Having said that, it's still not chair-like and taller passengers will find their knees going a little skywards, thus taking away some under-thigh support.

The seat itself is soft and comfortable. It is wide enough to accommodate 3 adults and even has contours on the backrest for lateral support. These seats can split in a 60:40 ratio and offer fore-aft as well as recline adjustment. Legroom is aplenty and there's ample space below the front seats to slide your feet in. I had no issues with headroom at the back either, even in the variant sporting the panoramic sunroof.

The middle row receives 3 adjustable neck restraints and they are a comfortable place to rest your head on, owing to their large size & soft nature. One issue I had was with the center armrest. It is wide and has cup holders too, but the problem is that it's positioned too high. Still, on long drives, the middle row offers ample comfort. It reclines at a comfortable angle and you have enough space to stretch your legs for a short nap.

The rear console houses the air-con controls, a 12V power socket as well as a 3-pin 230V charging point for your laptop. I find this position a lot more ergonomic. In the older generation, the air-con controls were placed on the roof.

Two things I noticed in the different variants here. The first was that the rear air-con vents in the version without the panoramic roof were located above the middle row seat (on the roof), while the ones with the panoramic roof had them on the side (where normal cars have the grab handles). Secondly, in the non-panoramic sunroof equipped vehicles, the grab handles were above the rear windows as well as on the B-pillar, while in the sunroof equipped vehicle, grab handles are only there on the B-pillar. You'll think I'm nitpicking, but while on the off-road course, even the Ford design chief struggled to hold on to something, as the B-pillar handles are placed too far ahead (and there was nothing to grab onto above the window).

Third Row

To get to the third row (which you would ideally avoid), fold the middle row seat flat and / or slide it ahead. You'll have to then climb onto the side step and squat your way to the rear. Once seated, you'll have to ensure that the middle row is slid further ahead (for your legroom & to allow the middle-row to lock into place). Ford's engineers have positioned the third row too far ahead in the interest of boot space (with all seats up). This seat is really best for children or short adults only. At 5'10", I sat with my knees uncomfortably pointing skywards. One more reason for middle row passengers to give you room is to allow you to rest your feet flat (you'll have to point them downward on the sloping area otherwise).

I liked the fact that these seats get adjustable neck restraints and there are vents (on the roof) to keep third row occupants cool. But again, the seat is best for kids only. If an adult is sitting here, he'll probably survive short city trips (not long highway runs).

The last row uses powered seats which fold flat on the push of a button in a 50:50 ratio. You can use the same button to unfold the seats as well. The seats have a slow folding action. If you've accidentally left some item on the seat, they will touch the object and unfold halfway.

With the press of another button, the electronically-operated tailgate lifts open skyward. It doesn't swing open sideways like the EcoSport or the older-gen Endeavour. With all 3 seat rows up, the Endeavour has 450 liters of boot space (top to bottom) - good for either 1 big bag + small cabin bag or 4 cabin bags. The luggage capacity is 750 liters with the 3rd row down, which can be further increased to 2,010 liters with the second & third row seats both folded f-l-a-t. More than enough to move a house or rather, just be a house when out camping in the middle of nowhere!! Once done, press a button to close the tailgate.

Grab handles on the B-pillars (folk will need them):

Rear seat is wide enough for 3 adults. There are 3 adjustable neck restraints too. And no, the seat isn't as low as in the older gen Endeavour. Notice that the front seatback is scooped to free additional knee room:

The maximum / minimum recline as well as the different fore-aft positions. For a longer drive, this is a comfortable place to be in:

To recline the seat...

The armrest is positioned too high for my liking. It is soft and wide enough to be used by 2 passengers:

...it has cup-holders too:

Even without the panoramic roof, there is ample light coming inside, thanks to the glass area:

The floor hump is medium-sized:

Full air-con controls (blower, temperature, body / feet vents)! Console even has a 12V socket and 230V plug point for your laptop:

Variants without the panoramic roof get rear grab handles with coat hooks. Even the air-con vent is positioned differently here:

Now compare the picture above to this. Version with the panoramic roof = no grab handle = nothing to hold onto! The air-con vent is located closer to the window and there is a small cabin lamp too:

Panoramic sunroof is being considered for India :

At the rear is a fixed glass panel (only the front sunroof opens):

Rear window rolls down completely:

Either fold down the seats flat or slide them forward to make your way to the third row. No, these don't tumble forward:

3rd row is best left to kids. Adult? For short journeys only. Check out the subwoofer enclosure to the right of the seat. Whoever sits there, he better like bass!

Adjustable neck restraints:

Even the third row gets air-con vents. There's a bag / coat hook too. Notice the proper 3-point seatbelts:

Cabin light for the 3rd row:

Armrest isn't padded. Passengers do get a cup-holder:

The third row seats split 50:50 for cargo flexibility. With them up, the boot capacity is 450 liters; with them down, it is 750 liters:

Buttons to fold down the third row seats. The folding / unfolding action is gradual. If there is an object placed on the seat, it will stop and unfold halfway:

Fold the 2nd row and you get a humongous 2,010 liters of boot space:

12V socket in the boot area. Some storage area below:

Pull up the floor to access the jack and tool kit. Ford has provided a storage area underneath. At the bottom of this picture, you'll see the boot hooks (in case you need to tie items down). There are two more hooks available if you fold down the 3rd row seat:

Just press this button and the tailgate will electrically close = no human effort:

Provision to manually close the boot too:

Last edited by GTO : 16th February 2016 at 14:47.
S2!!! is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

In India, expect the 3,198 cc, 5-cylinder and 2,198 cc, 4-cylinder diesel engines with a 6-speed automatic transmission. The latter might have a 6-speed manual option as well:

Internationally, the Endeavour is equipped with one petrol and two diesel engine options. The diesels are the ones that will make their way to India. There is a 2.2L, 16V 4-cylinder motor which produces 158 BHP (@ 3,200 rpm) and 385 Nm of torque (1,600 - 2,500 rpm). The bigger diesel is a 3.2L, 20V 5-cylinder engine which makes 197 BHP (@ 3,000 rpm) & 470 Nm of torque (1,750-2,500 rpm). Both use a variable geometry turbocharger. A coated diesel particulate filter (cDPF) with a vaporizer, a high-pressure direct injection system and a variable flow oil pump are deployed on the diesels. Ford says that the 2.2L has the best fuel economy in its segment, while the 3.2L gets an updated exhaust gas re-circulation system to boost efficiency. For reference, the previous-gen Endeavour was available with a 3.0 litre diesel (154 BHP / 380 Nm) with a 5-speed automatic gearbox. An entry-level 2.5 litre diesel engine (141 BHP / 330 Nm) was also available with a 5-speed manual gearbox in 2WD only.

Transmission options include a 6-speed manual (MT82) and a 6-speed automatic (6R80). We will most probably get the 2.2L (4x2) with a 6-speed manual as well as automatic, and the 3.2L (4x4) with an automatic gearbox only.

Ford had organized the media drive in Chiang Rai, Thailand. All throughout, we drove in a convoy at speeds of <90 kph. The roads were smooth (with a few patchy sections), so these can be considered as first impressions only. Please wait up for our full official review with the India-spec car for detailed insights.

My drive started off in the 2.2L + 6-speed auto. Twist the key and the motor comes to life without having to press the brake pedal. The manual version includes a Crank-in-Gear feature which allows the driver to restart a stalled engine in low-range 4x4 without pressing the clutch (useful while off-roading). I understand that explanation, but I didn't understand why they excluded keyless go (and entry) in a 25+ lakh SUV!

There is just one way to describe the 2.2 AT = lazy. There is a fair amount of lag from the time you press the accelerator to the time the car reacts. Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about turbo lag. Rather, I'm speaking about the responsiveness of the engine & gearbox. They are very relaxed and more suited to a sedate style of driving. For regular city commuting, it is fine, but those in the slightest of hurry will be left disappointed with the engine's lethargic behaviour. It's most noticeable out on the highway when you want to make a quick overtaking manoeuvre. I recommend using the AT's manual mode and preparing the SUV for overtaking well in advance. The gearbox has a tendency to upshift quickly; this, combined with the delayed downshifts only makes matters worse for fast drivers. The Endeavour 2.2 AT is a calm cruiser. That's it. The 6-speed AT is fairly old-school and it shows. Response times are slow and downshifts aren't instantaneous. Then, when it does downshift and hold the revvs for you, the engine note almost begs you to upshift as it feels stressed.

There is a solution to this though - Sport mode. This mode brings out the best of the motor by keeping the revs higher, which improves the drive experience to an extent. The 6-speed manual transmission wasn't available in the media fleet at Thailand. I have a feeling the engine might perform better with the MT. We'll have to wait for it to come to India.

I drove the 3.2L + 6-speed auto for a short while and the difference was very noticeable. The 3.2L felt deserving of the Endeavour. Power delivery is more instantaneous, pulling power is much improved and the overall responsiveness is far superior. I even liked the engine note of this 5-cylinder motor. On the flip side, the automatic gearbox remains lethargic. Ford's engineers claim that their auto gearboxes monitor a driver's driving style for ~200 kms and then tune themselves accordingly for a more efficient or sportier drive.

NVH levels are good. After the initial shake at start-up, engine sound is well-controlled in the cabin. There is hardly any wind noise, and even road noise isn't intrusive at all. Credit for this goes to the 'Active Noise Cancellation' system. Basically, there are 3 tiny microphones inside the cabin (two near the front grab handles and 1 above the middle row seat) which pick up low frequency sounds (within the range of 30 Hz to 180 Hz) and counter these with sounds through the door speakers. Impressive!

The Thai-spec Endeavour had 18" & 20" rims. I hope that the Indian version gets a more suitable 16" or 17" rim size. That is just a lot more practical for India and will offer a more compliant ride too. The Endeavour is a proper body-on-frame SUV and it rides & handles like one too. Small road imperfections are nicely carpeted, but larger bumps will have passengers (in all rows) being tossed around. Sharp bumps are dealt with a notorious firmness and you can feel this SUV has been tuned on the stiffer side. Still, the ride quality is better than the outgoing Endeavour which was similar to a pogo stick. For the Indian Endeavour, Ford should soften the suspension (and offer a smaller 17" wheel with taller tyre sidewalls). The Endeavour doesn't feel as top-heavy or nervous as the Fortuner while switching lanes or tackling curves. While body roll is present, the SUV doesn't lean uncomfortably. Get a little aggressive and the firm suspension doesn't make you feel nervous through corners. Helping its behavior are those massive 265 mm tyres. Just don't forget that you're sitting higher up the ground and the centre of gravity is high. In case things go out of control, the Endeavour is well-equipped with safety features like Curve Control, Roll Stability Control and ESP to get her back in line. The Endeavour deploys an electrically assisted power steering (outgoing generation had a hydraulic steering). I liked the steering feel - light enough at lower speeds and precise at higher speeds. It's decent for an EPS unit.

Watt's the big change here? The older Endeavour had leaf springs at the rear; the 2015 model has independent coil springs with a Watt's linkage. In the words of Ford's chief engineer, ''Watt's link is a part of the suspension system that bolts on to the rear differential (which is actually a structural part). What it does is, it acts like a torsion bar, there is a bolt in the middle and on top of the bar; so when you get reaction forces, it rotates around that. Then, there are the lower trailing arms and upper trailing arms connected to the springs. All that actually means that the axle remains right at the centre of the car and doesn't move in relation to the frame and the body. The springs and dampers have been tuned tightly and everything is more rigidly held together''. Refer to this link for more details. Currently, the Ford Endeavour is the only car / SUV to receive a factory fitted Watt's link, which is otherwise seen on offroad vehicles or American muscle cars (like the Mustang) as an after-market install. Trivia: The Land Rover Discovery Series 2 had a factory-fitted Watt's link.

The Endeavour uses 4 wheel disc brakes. I didn't really get a chance to test its behaviour under hard braking, but I can say that the pedal feel wasn't confidence-inspiring. It felt rather spongy and my right foot had to apply more pressure than necessary. There is approximately 2" of play between you pressing the brake and them reacting. I would have expected them to bite much earlier. While at it, there is some nose-dive under braking too. It takes some time to get used to, especially for the ones upgrading from a regular sedan.

4x4:

The Ford Endeavour has a ground clearance of 225 mm! Its approach and departure angles are rated at 29 and 25 degrees respectively, making it capable to tackle the rough. The ramp-over angle is 21 degrees. It even boasts of having a water wading ability of 800 mm.

Like the Fortuner, this is a full-time 4x4 drivetrain (rear biased), with torque on demand via an active transfer case. It will keep monitoring the driving conditions and transfer power between the front & rear wheels. In normal mode, it transfers 60 % of the torque to the rear wheels and 40 % to the front wheels. There is a low range (2.48:1) transfer case as well. The max speed in low range is 65 km/h. The rear gets an electronic locking differential. This can be locked in manually, or automatically via some of the TMS driving modes.

Like the Range Rover (a company that Ford owned earlier), the Endeavour is equipped with a 'Terrain Management System (TMS)' which has four driving modes - Normal, Snow (or Mud or Grass), Sand and Rock. Based on your terrain selection, the electronics work the throttle, 4x4, gearbox and brake & traction module. Refer to Ford's official table below:
Preview: Ford Endeavour-tms.png

Diesel engine development & calibration was done in the UK & Turkey:

Two pneumatic struts to assist with opening the bonnet. Sound levels on the outside are moderate, thanks to the generous cladding inside the engine bay:

All parts of the car have FoMoCo (Ford Motor Company) badging on them:

And this was Ford's surprise...

A 100% functional Everest literally cut open for R&D (and now demonstration) purposes:

Active transfer case marked in yellow:

Who needs an underbody shot when we can see all the mechanical components from up?

A larger 80 litre fuel tank (vs current 71L) = longer range:

The Watt's link on the rear differential:

Another look:

Last edited by GTO : 7th September 2015 at 08:06.
S2!!! is offline   (51) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Smaller yet Significant Things:

The Sync2 infotainment system gets advanced voice commands. For example, users can say simple things like "I'm hungry", "find a car park", "temperature 20 degrees" etc. and the voice command system obliges:

Top variant gets projectors + xenons + washers. Not only that, the chrome underlining is now replaced with LED DRLs:

Mud flap juts out from the body by about an inch for the fat tyres:

These 'kickers' help to reduce drag. Small things like these have resulted in a low drag co-efficient of 0.389:

See how much the rear bulges out. The tailgate bulge and the bumper are almost in line:

The Titanium variant gets chrome mirrors and door handles:

Indian Endeavour might miss out on the 'Blind Spot Information System with Cross Traffic Alert':

Check out how the fuel tank cover is connected to the lid. The hole below the fuel cap is the overflow / spill drain (so that diesel doesn't mess up the body with smear while filling):

A look at the all-black interior:

Lesser variants get a storage area above the dashboard. No leather wrap here:

No 230V plug point on the lower trims:

The storage area within the door pockets:

Black door armrest and padded area. If you intend to put the Endeavour through rough use, black interiors should be your pick (if Ford offers the choice in India):

You can lock / unlock all 5 doors from any seat. Matte silver door handle looks sweet!

Nice light blue backlight:

The cutaway again. Rear seat - especially - looks super thin (back & base, both):

Disclaimer: Ford invited Team-BHP for the Everest preview. They covered all the travel expenses for this driving event.
S2!!! is offline   (125) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:32   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Preview: Ford Endeavour

Thread moved from the Assembly Line to Official Reviews. Thanks for sharing! Rating thread a well-deserved 5 stars.

We'll have to wait & see how it performs on Indian roads, but I can say one thing = Ford got the styling absolutely spot on! Clean, muscular and well-proportioned. It's simply wow - I can't take my eyes off the thing.

From the body-on-frame SUVs, the Endeavour is the only one that is a viable alternative to the Fortuner. The Pajero is backed by a weak brand & even weaker after-sales. The previous-gen Endeavour had a bullet-proof build and terrific reliability too.

Can't wait for Round II of the 25 lakh SUV war. Perhaps the only segment where all of the major competitors are bringing in their next-generation vehicles at about the same time.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 08:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have an eerie feeling that the top end variant 4X4 with 3.2 liter engine will touch atleast 30 lakhs or even more. The 2.2 litre may come at the said price though.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 09:09   #9
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the preview! Now that's indeed an awesome looking SUV - very elegant yet so unapologetic about keeping the boxy looks. Great job by the design team!
Even the interiors are quite tastefully done, loved the textures and the generous use of leather (hope they get the all-back interiors as an option in India). What I did not like is the over-dose of chrome, especially in the top-variant.

That said, I don't expect this to topple the segment leader (Fortuner) but has got all the right ingredients to give a good fight.
vb-saan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:09   #10
BHPian

Excellent review! Looks really nice. From the given pictures, it looks as if the steering wheel centre and the power window buttons are picked up from a segment below.
PearlJam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:17   #11
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic write up and amazing pictures S2!!!. The Endeavour has always had a special place in my mind, purely because it has been among the few true blue, no nonsense SUVs on the block. Having seen the overkill jobs Toyota and Mitsubishi have done with the Fortuner and Pajero, I'm glad to say that Ford's designers have done an impeccable job by bringing a modern SUV that hasn't forgotten its roots. Hope we don't lose too many of the features seen here.
Tushar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:18   #12
BHPian

I think if Ford price it between 20-25 lakhs , this would be a serious contender for the big T. Personally I feel it is built like a tank , rugged and built-to-last. Also from the various reviews it should do perfectly well in India considering that the roads in most of the major cities are not very smooth and a big 4x2 is a possible way of commute. 4x4 would be a treat to drive but there are very few enthusiasts who would be doing that.
ambivalent_98 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 10:47   #13
BHPian

As always excellent review S2!!

Ford endeavour is known for its tough looks. Like Pajero, its major USP is its tough, rugged nature and practicality and it is really heartening to see Ford carry forward this in newer generation model too. As GTO mentioned, with all the manufacturers bringing in their new gen models into the foray, it would be an interesting battle to watch for and I personally feel Ford has a good chance to increase its market share in 25 Lakh SUV category.

Last edited by DragonHawk : 7th September 2015 at 10:55. Reason: Typo
DragonHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 11:05   #14
BHPian

As usual, a perfect review by S2!! "Endeavour" has always had an edge to it. Am happy they are forced to stick to the same name.

I'm not a fan of chrome, but the over-dosage of it does not look unappealing. Overall, a sophisticated, macho look that will attract attention on road.
satrikon_454 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th September 2015, 11:06   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks to TEAM-BHP & S2 for the detailed preview

IMO how much ever brilliant the new Endeavour is i am saddened by the fact that the top spec 3.2L 5 cyl 4x4 isnt being offered a M/T & is a DEAL BREAKER for me.

As i'l be in the look out for the replacement of my Fortuner next year il have to buy the all new Fortuner again it seems
karan561 is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks