Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2015, 20:07   #46
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doge View Post
First the xylo, then the quanto and TUV, and finally now this. That pininfarina acquisition should be of a lot of help. Hell, after seeing the Quanto in Italy, the Italians must have forced Mahindra to buy pininfarina. For the better of the world.
Seriously though, this styling would be a hit among the target audience. And it's nice to know that Mahindra isn't copying jeep for a while.
I think the design is contemporary and quite like the design. I don't know why people are bashing it.

SUVs this small like the KUV100 or the Renault Kwid are tough to design and execute. The world is just beginning to accept Ecosport and Creta sized SUVs.

Its definitely much better designed than the Honda HRV thats a size bigger.

The Quanto was a terrible effort. No doubt. But the Xylo and TUV were designed to be utilitarian at first.

Last edited by Ragavsr : 18th December 2015 at 20:08.
Ragavsr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 21:16   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
but couldn't understand why bench seat at front which usually is preferred by people carrier.

Pardon me if i missed it, but has Mahindra already declared about the front bench seats ? Or do the spy pictures suggest that?

That will take away the premiumness from this stylish looking KUV.

The most awaited number is the kerb weight now which will give an idea about the performance of the car.
mayank0782 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:24   #48
BHPian

The KUV yet again proves what I always held about Indian manufacturers design. With the front end it seemed like they were going some place. But they have totally lost it once you see the side profile. Feels like it has been squashed along it's length. And un necessary/meaningless creases on the side. The proportions are all a mess. They should have atleast beefed up the black cladding on the sides to cut that mass.
My comments are purely based on the images released as of now.
The Goan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2015, 23:32   #49
BHPian

re: Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)

Excellent looks, far better than the lousy looking TUV 300! Could give some of the premium hatches and Crossovers a tough time. But Engine options are mediocre at best.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:35   #50
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV; bookings open on December 19, 2015

TUV looks like the younger sibling of Bolero, Quanto younger sibling of Xylo, KUV looks to me the younger sibling of XUV500. All are launched to extract the benefits of sub 4m rule.
I certainly liked the front but didnt like the side profile, lets see how the rear turns out.
If Kool and Youth are the mantra for this launch then I presume this SUV should be having spare wheel hanging on the boot door like EcoSport.
I am confused as to who will opt for Quanto when TUV and KUV are available now.

Interesting paradigm shift by M&M, with Scorpio they emphasised that its a Car and not SUV and now with KUV they insist its a SUV and not a hatch.

Last edited by carwatcher : 19th December 2015 at 00:43.
Old 19th December 2015, 00:37   #51
Senior - BHPian

Design wise Mahindra is India's Citroen with their design quirks. The KUV looks okay from the front but the front three quarter's view looks well froggish. Pininfarina has it's work cut out.

There is a deep crease above the rear wheel arch that may be interesting to see how that crease flows onto the rear tailgate.

Engine wise, the specs are similar to the 1.3 DDiS that does duty in the Swift. Given the fact that this tcar will have a higher kerb weight than the Swift, performance might be just about adequate at the very best.

Given the job done in the TUV I am looking forward to the interiors.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 19th December 2015, 02:23   #52
MHG
BHPian

Looks like the Evoque and the XUV500 had a fling and this baby crossover was the end result

Having said that, this is easily one of the best looking Indian made cars of all time atleast in my opinion.
MHG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 02:35   #53
BHPian

A slight modification to make it look bit better IMHO.
-Color changed to Black.
-Red accent on the grill and wheels.
-Darkened the Alloys.
-Took out the ugly looking sharp curve off the rear.
-Rear door handle where it suits well.
-A little change to the front, adding accents on the bumper near lights to break the ugly looking panel.

Mahindra unveils KUV100 compact SUV. EDIT: Now launched at Rs. 4.42 lakh (ex-Pune)-mahindrakuv100official2ecpy.jpg
iamahunter is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 03:35   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post

Attachment 1451585

This looks smashing.

Apart from the rear curve and door handle i think this will be pretty much achievable in the real world.
mayank0782 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 08:46   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
-Color changed to Black.
-Red accent on the grill and wheels.
-Darkened the Alloys.
-Took out the ugly looking sharp curve off the rear.
-Rear door handle where it suits well.
-A little change to the front, adding accents on the bumper near lights to break the ugly looking panel.

Attachment 1451585
That's a nice follow-up to your TUV modification. Looks good..
mrbaddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 09:24   #56
BHPian

So this is not a proper launch right? Why have they decided to launch a car with only prototype pictures? Is there a hurry to introduce this? They could have waited to launch the car in January itself? This is the first time I am seeing a company unveil a car in this way. Anyways, the car looks good to me from the pictures!
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 11:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRK View Post
The Mahindra KUV100 could be a best seller for the company. It will have the bells and whistles that the target customer (Youth) want. Mahindra did also give a glimpse of a fully decked up version which did look good.

Also it marks a new milestone for M&M. They will bring an all new family of engines and enter the petrol powered car market. Actually the vehicle has used engineering services of a few Korean companies. We can expect the interiors to be on par with the Grand i10 if not better, which is the segment they intend to target.

Awaiting for the reviews to come in and know about how the vehicle performs.

By the way I did the front end rendering of the S101 (now KUV100) based on the spy shots a long time back. I was quite close
Attachment 1451522
Brilliant job there SRK. No offense to M&M, but your rendered design looks much more matured and practical than the original iteration.

This is still by far the best design from any of our home grown companies and I think Mahindra should have done these three subtle changes to make it more appealing:

1. The wheels look a tad smaller and a bit more wheel articulation would have looked more SUV'sh.
2. The bonnet bulges above the headlights at both sides should have been a bit flat and this protruding design looks a bit odd.
3. The headlight stretched towards the A pillar is a bit too much and doesn't serve any practical purpose which again is pure bling stuff. This is one of the reason SRK's design stands out.

Otherwise, its a great design from Mahindra. Well this is just nit-picking, but I am sure this will bring in volumes for the company and its introduced at the right time in the DE-dieselification era

Last edited by Venku2015 : 19th December 2015 at 11:20.
Venku2015 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2015, 11:51   #58
Team-BHP Support

Am having an 4WD S10 in my garage, need a small car with good ingress egress for doing city runabout runs with a chauffeur employed for my family. While this looks ok [I don't really appreciate the design], wish to see how it will stack up against the Wagon-R stingray.

Will wait if I am buying this
# For the design to grow & have acceptance
# For Mahindra to iron out its quirks.
Old 19th December 2015, 12:33   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
So this is not a proper launch right? Why have they decided to launch a car with only prototype pictures? Is there a hurry to introduce this? They could have waited to launch the car in January itself? This is the first time I am seeing a company unveil a car in this way. Anyways, the car looks good to me from the pictures!
Dear Saanil,

Just my thought - initially!

Then they declared that booking start from next day! Ah Ha! Maybe this is the reason..

In my search for cars - over the years - I have observed many people book cars without specs, without test drives, etc. So, if only looks or only company (like Maruti, etc) is adequate for people to book the cars, why should the manufacturers not start with that ONLY?

OR - maybe - we are all missing something! Time will tell.

Girish Mahajan
Old 19th December 2015, 13:25   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
In my search for cars - over the years - I have observed many people book cars without specs, without test drives, etc. So, if only looks or only company (like Maruti, etc) is adequate for people to book the cars, why should the manufacturers not start with that ONLY?

OR - maybe - we are all missing something! Time will tell.

Girish Mahajan
I assume it is an additional way for dealers/company to make some free money. Do an unveil,create a hype-Open bookings. Assure no cancellation charges. Lot of people will put down the 5,10 or 25K for the booking without any test drives or even seeing the car. Lot of them may cancel, but from the booking opening to the official launch, even if it is a month, I assume the dealers will be making good interest money from these booking amounts.

On the KUV100, that front bench seat is worrying. I assume there will not be a seat belt and of course no 3rd airbag. Wish Mahindra had not done that.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks