Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2016, 11:50   #391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by -xplora- View Post
My bad. Just found out that door side beams are there, however it is nothing to highlight hence I guess it is not mentioned. If you check Indonesian / Thai websites like "carbay" It clearly lists that as a safety item along with ACE.

The Indonesian Honda website mentions that BRV has GCON + ACE structure, while Indian Honda website mentions only ACE. As far as I know, GCON is Honda's internal crash test safety standards. Does that mean, Indonesian version meets GCON standards, while Indian version does? Hope it's just an omission while designing the brochure.

Any thoughts on this?
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 12:38   #392
Team-BHP Support

re: With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched

Attached is the picture of Suzuki Swift's boot with capacity to hold 210 litres of luggage

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-marutiswift23.jpg

Now lets take a look at Honda BR-V's boot space with last row in place. It's supposed to be 225 litres.

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-hondabrvboot.jpg

Doesn't it look closer to 400 litres visually? Any idea how boot space is measured, especially when there is no boot cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The Indonesian Honda website mentions that BRV has GCON + ACE structure, while Indian Honda website mentions only ACE. As far as I know, GCON is Honda's internal crash test safety standards. Does that mean, Indonesian version meets GCON standards, while Indian version does? Hope it's just an omission while designing the brochure.

Any thoughts on this?
After subjecting a bunch of Indian automobile journalists to a lecture on how safety is important to Honda (see first page of this thread), they go ahead and remove Vehicle Stability Assist for Indian BR-V.

But after spending millions of Yen on developing a crash worthy chassis for BR-V, would they spend another couple of million Yen to come up with a chassis that is not crash worthy for the Indian market? That's very unlikely. From what I know, GCON is standard since 2000 across all Honda models.

Last edited by SmartCat : 9th May 2016 at 12:48.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 12:49   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
Attached is the picture of Suzuki Swift's boot with capacity to hold 210 litres of luggage

Attachment 1505401

Now lets take a look at Honda BR-V's boot space with last row in place. It's supposed to be 225 litres.

Attachment 1505404

Doesn't it look closer to 400 litres visually? Any idea how boot space is measured, especially when there is no boot cover?
I had the swift, I can tell you BR-Vs boot is significantly bigger, on paper ltrs. aside. Both pics should be from same angle, in this one swift's looks unfairly small.
-xplora- is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 13:05   #394
Senior - BHPian

BRV - is strictly 6 seater (4 adults and 2 kids), middle row is strictly for 2 adults.
It has good boot space even with all seats up.
One touch tumble middle row seats make access to last row fairly easy.
Middle row arm rest angle looked weird, but after making the seat angle it looks fine.
Latheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 13:40   #395
BHPian

Had been to Sundaram Honda at Vijayawada and saw a silver BR-V.

Felt it was 6 seater than a 7 seater with 2+2+2 option.

Fuel tank capacity of 42 litres is not as high when compared to Creta with 55 litres.

Felt seating is not as high as Creta.

Also the heat absorbing front wind shield should have been part of all variants and not just VX.

When can we expect the official Team-BHP review of BR-V. Eagerly waiting for it.

Last edited by vvrchandra : 9th May 2016 at 13:53.
vvrchandra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 18:36   #396
BANNED

If BR-V was designed as a 5 seater with the length identical to that of Creta, it could have taken minimum 50% of Creta market share, irrespective of how they price it. The nose of BR-V is stunning compared to that of Creta.

Did Honda lost the plot again ?
Doylthippo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 20:14   #397
Team-BHP Support

Went to Mangalore Honda dealer to check out the BRV. Some observations -

1) No crowds as such to check out the BRV. But the sales guy said the CVT variant has a waiting period of 60 days.

2) Ah, the boot. The above photo is misleading. In person, the boot looks smaller and is probably 225 litres. However, the 3rd row seat can be reclined - so one can squeeze in extra luggage space if the seats are set almost vertically.

3) Loved the look and presence of BRV - front, back and even the side profile. I would give the car 9 out of 10 in this department. Especially loved the connected tail lamps and projector headlamps. The chrome strip at the back ruins the almost perfect look of the car.

4) I liked the interior design and overall ambience, especially since everything is black! But there are no soft touch plastics anywhere, and the music system looks low rent. Basically, quality wise the interiors are below average, but design-wise, the whole thing looks impressive.

5) Drivers seat comfort and steering/driving position was perfect. I'm 6 feet 1. Space and comfort in the 2nd row was good too. The last row is most suitable for small kids (but then, so is almost everything else in the market, other than the Xylo).

Most glaring omission is missing armrest at the front. But it is available as an official Honda BR-V accessory -

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-accessories.jpg

Black PVC seat covers are also an useful accessory for non-VX customers.

BR-V brochure link:
https://www.hondacarindia.com/brv/Ho...V-Brochure.pdf
SmartCat is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 22:05   #398
BHPian

Went to Capital Honda OMR to check out the BR-V and i found one major problem with the complete design of the car. Everyone knows that this is nothing but a glorified Mobilio, hence went with little expectation. While getting into the car i found that i was struggling to get inside. For reference my height is 6ft. I decided to first lower the drivers seat to the lowest point and also ensure the steering it put to the highest position. Now again while trying to get into the car i realized that my left ear was hitting the roof and to get in i had to literally turn my neck to the left to get in.

This was indeed a very uncomfortable way of getting into the car. I though it must be the case only on the driver side, hence tried the rear seat behind the driver from the right side and here too i found it exactly how it was in the front seats. I didn't even bother with spending more time in the car as it was really a very painful experience to just get into the car. The strange part is that this has never been mentioned by any auto journalist or anyone in this forum. Would surely like to hear from the others of how entry & exit was from the BR-V. Also i would like to mention that i drive a Honda Brio too and have never faced any such problem with that car.
Old 9th May 2016, 22:13   #399
Team-BHP Support

With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
Went to Capital Honda OMR to check out the BR-V and i found one major problem with the complete design of the car. Everyone knows that this is nothing but a glorified Mobilio, hence went with little expectation. While getting into the car i found that i was struggling to get inside. For reference my height is 6ft. I decided to first lower the drivers seat to the lowest point and also ensure the steering it put to the highest position. Now again while trying to get into the car i realized that my left ear was hitting the roof and to get in i had to literally turn my neck to the left to get in.

This was indeed a very uncomfortable way of getting into the car. I though it must be the case only on the driver side, hence tried the rear seat behind the driver from the right side and here too i found it exactly how it was in the front seats. I didn't even bother with spending more time in the car as it was really a very painful experience to just get into the car. The strange part is that this has never been mentioned by any auto journalist or anyone in this forum. Would surely like to hear from the others of how entry & exit was from the BR-V. Also i would like to mention that i drive a Honda Brio too and have never faced any such problem with that car.

I'm close to 6ft, but did not face any such issue. However, I could only sit with the steering raised to the highest position. Else it was hitting my knee.

This was the V variant. Not sure of VX with leather.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 9th May 2016 at 22:15.
Old 9th May 2016, 22:57   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hurricane View Post
I am 6ft 4, and I didn't face any such issue. Infact I didn't even notice the headroom either, meaning it was spacious enough, as I face this problem in most cars like City, Ciaz etc
Old 9th May 2016, 23:14   #401
BHPian

I happened to drop by at the Honda showroom on Sohna Road Gurgaon. Following were my personal observations from the visit.

1. I will prefer to call it an MUV rather an SUV
2. The front looks quite nice
3. The rear and the side profile shouts Mobilio. No Mobilio was to be seen in the stable. Smart move
4. The front two seats are decent but it's like what one would get in a sedan
5. The second row is too narrow. It felt as if Ecosport would be better! Didn't bother to check the third row seats
6. I am surprised that Honda has cut corners and not offering many add ons at such a price point. No driver and passenger arm rest, no rear parking sensors forget the camera, no touch screen etc. Real shoddy job in my opinion. I believe the Indonesian CVT has ESP and Hill Hold Assist. My resepct for Ford after seeing this shot up yet again.
7. The plastics were bland and average

Overall I might never put my money on this car. I had a lot of expectations from it. Immediately after the Honda visit I drove to Hyundai and drove Creta again, the car from which I began my upgrade hunt last year.

I guess I am back to square one now
deevee is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 23:36   #402
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's see how the BR-V's pricing stacks up against the competition, and by it's own siblings - the City & the Mobilio, in this value-for-money chart:

(Click on the image to open in a *NEW* window)
With Honda in Japan: BR-V preview & more. EDIT: BR-V launched-untitled.jpg

- All prices have been taken from each of the company's respective official websites of the cars, except for the Volkswagen Vento. Vento's prices are from Carwale.

- I went with base prices of the BR-V's top variants, +/- 60,000 rupees either way (11.25 lacs to 13.50 lacs), just to broaden a prospective customer's range of options.

- Cross-shopped across segments quite a bit, which gives a better idea about the availability of other segment cars within this particular price range.

- Had to bundle the Mahindra & Mahindra trio, the Duster/Terrano duo & the Vento/Rapid duo due to space constraints.

- Kept the Renault Lodgy's prices separate so it can be a guideline for the Mobilio/BR-V prices.

- One can see clearly which are the absolute VFM offerings, and which ones are glaringly (or dare I say, shockingly!) overpriced.
For example, the Creta 1.4L S+'s price has left me dumbfounded!
The Duster/Terrano duo's 85PS variants are atrociously overpriced, too.

- Yes, you read that right. The Terrano 110PS XV is costlier than the XUV500 W6!!

- Yes, the S-Cross 1.6 Alpha looks like a mouth-watering option now!

- Bigger engines and bigger cabins in the Storme & the XUV500, albeit at the cost of features. Storme EX doesn't get airbags, not even a driver-side one!

- The Isuzu D-Max V-Cross looks like a steal, compared to the rest. If the Team-BHP review gives this pickup full marks, I foresee a future bestseller in the making, specially for driving enthusiasts!

Last edited by RavenAvi : 9th May 2016 at 23:48.
RavenAvi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th May 2016, 23:53   #403
BHPian

On YouTube saw two video reviews of the Honda B-RV one was done by Autocar and another was done by Autoportal. On one specific aspect both the reviews differ. Autoportal guy praises the B-RVs amazing NVH levels whereas the Autocar reviewer observes that the NVH levels being on the harsher side and not on the same level as the Creta. Can anybody clarify this? Honda cars from my little experience are mostly silent and with acceptable NVH levels
Old 10th May 2016, 01:11   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartcat View Post
But there are no soft touch plastics anywhere, and the music system looks low rent. Basically, quality wise the interiors are below average, but design-wise, the whole thing looks impressive.
Most glaring omission is missing armrest at the front. But it is available as an official Honda BR-V accessory -
Black PVC seat covers are also an useful accessory for non-VX customers.
Decent music system/build quality and a center armrest is not too much to ask for a 15L SUV.
Taking back my deposit for BR-V for few reasons apart from the fact that its not that good looking from the side or back. Looks more like a MUV/van or both.
--NO VX trim in Automatic petrol
--NO leather seats in V CVT (Honda city has leather in petrol CVT)
--NO touchscreen AVN
--NO rear view camera or parking sensors for a SUV
--NO LED strip in V trim (Seriously Honda? how much does it cost?)
--NO tech like Apple carplay or Android Auto
--NO rain sensing Wipers
--NO side or curtain airbags
--Seating position is low in BR-V compared to Creta. My folks felt Honda City seats were more comfortable being a car.

Most of these features are not deal breakers for many but Honda should/must have these optioned in top variants, there's no excuse to that in 2016. After spending 15-16L why should I have it ripped apart, deal with someone who may or may not get the job done properly.

I'm leaning towards Honda City VX AT, probably wait for the face lift due in 3rd Q.

Last edited by VIPER_SRT : 10th May 2016 at 01:14.
VIPER_SRT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 01:31   #405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikvkv View Post
On YouTube saw two video reviews of the Honda B-RV one was done by Autocar and another was done by Autoportal. On one specific aspect both the reviews differ. Autoportal guy praises the B-RVs amazing NVH levels whereas the Autocar reviewer observes that the NVH levels being on the harsher side and not on the same level as the Creta. Can anybody clarify this? Honda cars from my little experience are mostly silent and with acceptable NVH levels
The answer lies in your query.
NVH is better than other Honda i-DTEC powered cars yet cannot match the Creta.
procrastinator is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed