Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2016, 17:21   #61
BHPian

re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

From Hyundai's perspective, it would nicely fill the gap between Creta and Santa Fe. But, would a 5 seater really fit that 20L+ price tag? For a person spending this kind of money, spending few more lakhs for Endeavour or Fortuner would be very tempting, given their road presence.

IMHO, the target market would be those who are looking at D segment, but willing to spend more for extra GC, AWD, Panaromic Sunroof, etc... XUV already competes with Creta on the lower end of its segment. Mahindra can easily launch a W12 with Ventilated Seats, Dual Zone Climate control, sliding middle row and what not, to compete with the Tucson.

The 2016 Tucson's 2.0L CRDI with 185 PS and 400NM @1750 RPM, with 16xx kgs kerb weight has very good Power/Weight and Torque/Weight ratio. The specs on the Hyundai UK website has a 0-100 timing of 9.5 secs, this would be one of its USP. The is another less powerful 2.0L CRDI version with just 136 PS power and 373NM @ 1800 RPM, I hope Hyundai doesn't launch this in India, given its target price tag.
Voyager-1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2016, 19:28   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Hyundai just keeps getting their tunes right. I never though Creta will sell at that price; it has such a waiting period!! Tucson should be anything different. And I don't think everyone who spends a 25L would always need a 7 seater. Most options in that space always was a 7 seater (except CRV & Koleos) and hence people went for those, if they had that kinda money. With the kind of styling, Tucson should have a good run, with the advantage of quality interiors, FE & Hyundai A$$. Hope they don't do the crappy strategy of deleting important features like they did in the Creta.

CRV didn't have a diesel option while Koleos never had anything appealing for that kinda price.
swiftnfurious is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2016, 09:56   #63
BHPian

This is one car that I am eagerly awaiting. Have been looking for an SUV with enough grunt and all the bells and whistles and if some of the articles I have been reading are anything to go by, this might just be the one. I just hope the pricing is not more than 20 - 22 lakhs ex-showroom and that Hyundai don't compromise on quality or features just to keep the price low. Maybe I am asking for too much .
Old 12th May 2016, 10:09   #64
BHPian

I am currently driving duster, planning to change. I guess this is the car for me.

I basically need touring and reliable vehicle, don't really need 7 seats. The current choice is XUV/Innova and Tuscon.
As per the media, it may release either in August or September. Let's wait for concrete info.
Old 12th May 2016, 13:54   #65
BHPian

This retails in UK in the range of GBP 19-32K. Even considering a Rs. 100 exchange rate, the ex showroom would start for nothing less than 19L here. Maybe more considering it will be a CBU import. I would estimate the base version be to around 22-23L on road with the top end going anywhere near the 28-30L figure. This is considering the top end sold world wide wont even make it here.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:39   #66
BHPian

I guess one of Auto portal was mentioning it is not CBU but with 50% localization. I believe it can't go more than 25L (top end on road) where equation changes dramatically. It can't beat Innova, period. people start thinking endeavor, Sante-Fe and fortuner after this price, and no one care about tuscon.
Hyundai has to price it around 20L.
Old 12th May 2016, 15:49   #67
BANNED

Yes niv26 sir, I do agree with you.
If Hyundai prices it in the range of 25L and above, it will simple get fade away in the shades of Innova, new Fortuner and Endeavor. Even though they fill it with all the bells and whistles, Hyundai can not expect more customers in India in this segment. Even the big brother Santa Fe is having very few sales here.

Last edited by Doylthippo : 12th May 2016 at 15:51. Reason: Spelling correction
Old 12th May 2016, 16:44   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviraj View Post
This retails in UK in the range of GBP 19-32K. Even considering a Rs. 100 exchange rate, the ex showroom would start for nothing less than 19L here. Maybe more considering it will be a CBU import. I would estimate the base version be to around 22-23L on road with the top end going anywhere near the 28-30L figure. This is considering the top end sold world wide wont even make it here.
I doubt Hyundai will be able to price it at more than 22-23. At that price it'll start competing with the Santa Fe and the likes of Endeavor which are clearly a segment higher. This has to be priced to compete with XUV top end or maybe the rexton
sharninder is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2016, 11:33   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
I doubt Hyundai will be able to price it at more than 22-23. At that price it'll start competing with the Santa Fe and the likes of Endeavor which are clearly a segment higher. This has to be priced to compete with XUV top end or maybe the rexton
The top end of the Tucson competing with the base version of these big SUVs is bound to happen. It's like if I have a budget of 15L, would I take the top end of the Honda City or the base version of say Chevrolet Cruze. Most people I think, will still go for the fully loaded one. But the onroad price of the base version of tucson going for less than 21L seems difficult. If it does happen, you can expect some major features getting dropped due to localization.
Old 14th May 2016, 19:53   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharninder View Post
You literally took the words out of my mouth! Hyundai has to get the pricing spot on! And not skimp on features like what they did with the Creta. The 20-30L segment has got some really capable cars in the form of Endeavour and even the Innova Crysta. Hyundai shouldn't be eyeing to chase down the Endeavour. Although the 2.2 Endy is low on power(compared to the 185PS Tucson), it makes up with butch looks and 7 seats. Besides, the Tucson is not going to be as rough road ready as the Endy. Capping the upper price bracket also doesn't ensure success, as the Innova in it's newest avatar is more than capable of standing upto the Tucson. I seriously hope Hyundai gives their best shot at this one, and not repeat the Santa Fe fiasco!
Old 14th May 2016, 20:12   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
The is another less powerful 2.0L CRDI version with just 136 PS power and 373NM @ 1800 RPM, I hope Hyundai doesn't launch this in India, given its target price tag.
Hyundai may not launch this variant as it will directly hit Creta which produces 126 bhp. In fact doing this it will cannibalize both Creta and Tucson, perspective customers buying Creta may end up buying the base Tucson and customers going in for Tucson may end up buying the top-end Creta. Moreover, the company is trying to to position this car above Creta and under Santa Fe which means a price tag between 17 Lakhs - 23 Lakhs depending on the variants. I think chances are Hyundai might plonk in the 1.8L Petrol motor giving it options of both diesel and petrol engine additionally as the 1.8 is better localized it may help the manufacturer price it even more aggressively. This time Hyundai cannot mess up it's entry in the premium segment because they have actually worked quite hard in establishing that premium image with it's new portfolio so am quite sure they aren't going to leave any stones unturned.
Old 25th May 2016, 00:21   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

The Hyundai Tucson has been caught on camera by a Motor Vikatan reader during an apparent testing run on the Chennai-Bangalore highway.

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-hyundaitucson1.jpg

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-hyundaitucson2.jpg

The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched-hyundaitucson3.jpg

The SUV looks like it has plenty of street cred. I wonder if those alloys will make it into the final CBU-production models.

How I wish those subtle roof-rails would have been a part of the Creta package, instead of the outlandish, standing-out type ones we have, currently.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 25th May 2016 at 00:26.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 09:05   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

The SUV looks like it has plenty of street cred. I wonder if those alloys will make it into the final CBU-production models.

How I wish those subtle roof-rails would have been a part of the Creta package, instead of the outlandish, standing-out type ones we have, currently.

[/center]
The most handsome looking UV in it's lot! None of it's rivals comes close to it except CR-V to some extent. The styling is sporty yet extremely elegant and sophisticated, a typical Hyundai. The design is enough for me to add this in my buying list! I too hope we get the same alloys, with the number of spotting increasing. I am quite sure it's launch is just around the corner. A july or August launch seems quite possible for the vehicle followed by the new Elantra in December.

Last edited by YashD : 25th May 2016 at 09:12.
YashD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2016, 13:18   #74
A M
BHPian

Happened to ride in it in Jordan in a petrol variant. Didn't get to drive it so can't comment on the driving dynamics. Nice interiors, good ride quality, decent sized boot and comfortable 5 seater but just didn't feel like a 25 lakh Rupee car. I won't pay more than 15 lakhs ex-showroom for this.
Old 25th May 2016, 17:32   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A M View Post
Nice interiors, good ride quality, decent sized boot and comfortable 5 seater but just didn't feel like a 25 lakh Rupee car. I won't pay more than 15 lakhs ex-showroom for this.
You'd have to pay more than that for the top end Creta.

When you say good ride quality, does that mean plush and wallowy or stable yet comfortable?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks