Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th February 2017, 01:04   #391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj_koova View Post

Planning to test drive Fortuner, Endeavour and Hexa this week.
Don't want to try the X1? I guess even the dimensions of the X1 are very close to that of the Tuscon. It may be slightly costly to maintain because it is a BMW. But you get the full badge value, more capable vehicle of the same size, better quality and fun to drive factor!

Or maybe try the new Endy - it's one heck of a vehicle in my opinion. Fully loaded and trend variants are well priced. Full size SUV experience..

Last edited by manson : 8th February 2017 at 19:09. Reason: Mod Note : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Old 4th February 2017, 08:03   #392
BHPian

Re: The 2016 Hyundai Tucson. EDIT: Launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Don't want to try the X1? I guess even the dimensions of the X1 are very close to that of the Tuscon. It may be slightly costly to maintain because it is a BMW. But you get the full badge value, more capable vehicle of the same size, better quality and fun to drive factor!

Or maybe try the new Endy - it's one heck of a vehicle in my opinion. Fully loaded and trend variants are well priced. Full size SUV experience..
Yes I have tried X1. Liked pretty much everything about the X1. It goes beyond what I want to spend at this point and total cost of ownership over 5-6 years would be much more than Hyundai. It is 7 lakhs stretch even with the base version.

I hear the all praises for Endy. Though I am not very keen on a 7-seater, I am going to try it considering it is a well put out package. Trend is too basic. I will have to go for 2WAT Titanium for the feature that I am interested in. That is around 4L extra.

One thing I missed out mentioning about Tucson was, it has 3 years/30000km free maintenance. Since I own another Hyundai at home, I get 4th year extended warranty for free. So this car is going to be pretty cheap for me to own.
sj_koova is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:27   #393
BHPian

Quote:
I had a test drive of Tucson today.
Hey sj, if you read my initial impressions about the Tucson, they are very similar to what you've mentioned here. Now I have driven the car for about 3000 kms and honestly, not much has changed.

I love what I liked even more and honestly, the only real gap for me is the missing interior plushness, the extra niceness I would've expected from Hyundai at this price point. I've grown to absolutely love the engine. 120 kph comes in at 2000 rpm, and sports mode is just too much fun for that quick push. The car reaches 100 in no time at all, and just keeps going.

I was very happily surprised that H provided this engine here, specially since they've been using smaller sibling's engines in their bigger models throughout their range. I'm working on my detailed write up, it is coming along a little slowly but I should be able to complete it within a couple of weeks. It is a very tight product, albeit a bit pricey. But really, when has 10% stopped you from getting what you really want?
ach1lles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2017, 13:55   #394
BHPian

Quote:
One thing I missed out mentioning about Tucson was, it has 3 years/30000km free maintenance. Since I own another Hyundai at home, I get 4th year extended warranty for free. So this car is going to be pretty cheap for me to own.
This is really good. Did not know about the 4th year free if you currently own another Hyundai.

So, how does your math add up for it to be "pretty cheap", considering that the Tuscon is around INR 30L+-.
Old 4th February 2017, 14:18   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I have tried X1. Liked pretty much everything about the X1. It goes beyond what I want to spend at this point and total cost of ownership over 5-6 years would be much more than Hyundai. It is 7 lakhs stretch even with the base version.
Well if you negotiate hard you can knock off a few lakhs for X1 and its pricing gets pretty close to Tucson. If you really like X1, I think you should think about spending that 10% extra to get it.
Old 4th February 2017, 14:55   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotracks View Post
This is really good. Did not know about the 4th year free if you currently own another Hyundai.

So, how does your math add up for it to be "pretty cheap", considering that the Tuscon is around INR 30L+-.
I didn't mean the 4th year warranty is going to make it cheap, but the first three year free maintenance will add benefit in the range of 40-50k I guess. Synthetic oil alone will be around 20k for three years right?

And the variation will be higher only when compared to X1 or above.
Old 4th February 2017, 17:12   #397
BHPian

Quote:
I didn't mean the 4th year warranty is going to make it cheap, but the first three year free maintenance will add benefit in the range of 40-50k I guess. Synthetic oil alone will be around 20k for three years right?

And the variation will be higher only when compared to X1 or above.
Warranty doesn't include any expenses on replacing fluids or any other kind of service for that matter.
30L plus for the Tucson is not VFM IMHO. The Endy is much better product in all the senses. If AT is what you want, Hexa XTA at 21L is the best auto of the lot with an extremely good ride quality.
itsashishsharma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2017, 10:26   #398
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Warranty doesn't include any expenses on replacing fluids or any other kind of service for that matter.
30L plus for the Tucson is not VFM IMHO. The Endy is much better product in all the senses. If AT is what you want, Hexa XTA at 21L is the best auto of the lot with an extremely good ride quality.
I very well know what the extended warranty is and I thought I clarified in my previous post that I am not weighing in much on it.

Yes I wish to try the Endy. In fact the sales executive who brought Tucson agreed to get Endy through his friend who is a sales executive at Ford. he said I can have a side-by-side drive and decide. This time I am taking a drive at late evening/night.

I am not biased to Tucson, but one thing I can tell to those who have not driven Tucson, try it and your perception will change. Especially the driving dynamics and effortless power delivery in sports mode was class apart. I could relate it much to X1 if I just forget it is a Hyundai.
While I am saying this, I am an not convinced about Tucson's priced tag because of many other shortcomings and if I can stretch, X1 certainly is a better buy.

HEXA - I know it has a lot in favor for it, but for me ,I am not sure I want an MPV that is not friendly for city commute. I am stating it purely based on reviews I have read. I may test drive it before deciding. But I have hard timing booking for a test drive. Absolutely no response to the online registration and calls I have made.

I want something that is really good for daily commute and an excellent highway cruiser. And when I am spending so much, I want a responsive brand. I do not see Tata there yet!

Couple of feedback from my wife after a detailed discussion. Tucson's rear-middle seat is useless even for kids. The armrest portion when folded is not in level with the rest of the backrest and it is very hard too. So you feel like sitting on a wooden chair upright! So it is a very comfortable 4 seater effectively.

Dash is very disappointing to look at. She has a grand i10 and feels Tucson's is not any better. Our CEDIA has all black and both of us felt all black in Tucson would have been splendid.
Old 7th February 2017, 15:15   #399
rbp
BHPian

The sales of Tucson have crashed to 148 units from 450+ in the previous month, hope Hyundai learns a lesson on how to price cars sensibly in future.
rbp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2017, 15:40   #400
BHPian

Do we have a official review on Tuscon?

Searched but could not find anything here!
Old 7th February 2017, 20:29   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
The sales of Tucson have crashed to 148 units from 450+ in the previous month, hope Hyundai learns a lesson on how to price cars sensibly in future.
Very true. Spoke to the Hyundai sales executive about it today to see if they will budge and give some dealer discounts. No luck as the car is newly launched and they seemed content with low sales numbers.

I did a another back to back test drive between Endy 2.2 and Tucson today. My decision is not going to be easy as they are entirely different in most aspects. Wife has favored Tucson for the plush and car-like drive comfort in the rear seat.
Old 7th February 2017, 22:55   #402
rbp
BHPian

Quote:

I did a another back to back test drive between Endy 2.2 and Tucson today. My decision is not going to be easy as they are entirely different in most aspects. Wife has favored Tucson for the plush and car-like drive comfort in the rear seat.
Comparing a FWD to RWD is like comparing apples to oranges. Eyes closed go for RWD and the Endy ride quality will be unmatched.
rbp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2017, 12:00   #403
BHPian

Quote:
Very true. Spoke to the Hyundai sales executive about it today to see if they will budge and give some dealer discounts. No luck as the car is newly launched and they seemed content with low sales numbers.
Only two possibilities if you buy it:
Either Hyundai lowers the price 2-3 months down the line and you would feel like cheated, or Hyndai keeps content with the low numbers and this product dies a slow death, Tucson becomes a market flop and you end up losing big on resale. Don't touch it buddy, Endy is a better bet any given day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Comparing a FWD to RWD is like comparing apples to oranges. Eyes closed go for RWD and the Endy ride quality will be unmatched.
Thumbs up. Endy's ride quality can't be matched by Tucson.
Old 8th February 2017, 12:08   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsashishsharma View Post
Only two possibilities if you buy it:
Either Hyundai lowers the price 2-3 months down the line and you would feel like cheated, or Hyndai keeps content with the low numbers and this product dies a slow death, Tucson becomes a market flop and you end up losing big on resale. Don't touch it buddy, Endy is a better bet any given day.
Very true. I think Hyundai will ultimately fit all the bells and whistles (AWD, Sunroof, ventilated seats, etc.) without any price hike going forward to revive the sales. Otherwise, selling Tucson is going to be a problem when other cars in this segment gets launched.
Old 8th February 2017, 18:37   #405
BHPian

Thanks everyone for the your suggestions. RWD vs FWD is an important consideration I would keep in mind before making my final decision.

Gurus, when is the Tucson official review coming?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed