Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2017, 19:57   #571
VVP

re: The Tata Nexon, now launched at Rs. 5.85 lakhs

Tata takes their own sweet time in launching models. Hexa being a re engineered version of Aria took more than 2 years from "concept" to showroom. So in TATA's own terms, Nexon being a new model can take much more time, especially when TIGOR is also there on the launchpad. I think, its better to be serious about a TATA only when its launched.

The funny side of the story is, by the time all these happen, other manufacturers establish their product and TATA competes for the 3rd, 4th or 5th place (First two being reserved for Maruti and Hyundai).

Its evident when we look at the fact that they are the people who started segments such as compact sedan (Indigo CS), comfort vehicle for 8 or more people (SUMO), More car Per car (Indica), An SUV (Turbo Sierra/Safari), Sedan version of a hatchback (Indigo) etc etc. Thank GOD, they didnt start the compact SUV segment. They should be paying more attention in reducing the delay from concept to showroom.
Old 27th February 2017, 00:44   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
This might be true given the pace of launch of Tata. This year will spent on Tigor itself. For nexon they might start at the beginning of the year with media drive and then 2-3 months for some preparation. And deliveries happening in June/July. Who knows.

I was also looking forward for this. But given their current pace, I am running out of patience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVP View Post
Tata takes their own sweet time in launching models. Hexa being a re engineered version of Aria took more than 2 years from "concept" to showroom. So in TATA's own terms, Nexon being a new model can take much more time, especially when TIGOR is also there on the launchpad. I think, its better to be serious about a TATA only when its launched.
Tata announced last year that they would be launching 2 models per year uptil 2020. The Hexa and Tiago were the 2016 launches and Tigor and Nexon 2017 launches.
In that essence, the Tigor will be launched by April or May and the Nexon somewhere around the festive season for sure. Tata cannot afford to delay it to 2018 under any circumstance and they will not.
akhil994 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 09:54   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhil994 View Post
The Hexa and Tiago were the 2016 launches and Tigor and Nexon 2017 launches.
Well effectively Hexa came in 2017 at the dealership. They postponed it a little. I was taking the delay factor they have and the time they take between media drives to first deliveries. I wouldn't be surprised if Tigor deliveries start just before festive season.
Old 27th February 2017, 10:24   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVP View Post
They should be paying more attention in reducing the delay from concept to showroom.
People are talking these things because they happened to see all these vehicles in the 2016 expo. Now every manufacturer takes time to design and develop vehicles but then they do not display production ready concepts too soon to the public so that the stop watch gets switched on.

Mahindra which is almost as fast/slow as TML does well to camouflage its offerings till the launch so that the novelty factor is maintained which explains why even the flop models like TUV and KUV sell at least a couple of thousands every month as the novelty factor has not completely died out in the market.

One possible explanation about why you felt this way(and rightfully so) is the fact that the Nexon concept was displayed in 2014 expo post which a production ready version was displayed in 2016 expo and it is 2017 and the vehicle is yet to be seen in the market. Now that does not mean TML is slower than anybody, TML may still be within the 4 year development time frame which is more or less an international norm for grounds up new projects. The perception got formed here coz a concept is being strikingly close to the production model (pls give credit to TML for taking the pains and retaining the concept cues) and the production model being displayed a little too soon in 2016 expo made it look like "hey i keep seeing this model, why the hell is it not there in the market yet" (TML needs to introspect here on when to display a production ready model).

So i guess it is up to the manufacturer to be more prudent about what and when to display than to risk people carrying notions about whether the product development cycle is longer or shorter.
SAE40 in veins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 10:32   #575
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transporter View Post
A friend of mine who knows someone in Tata Motors informed me that the launch of Nexon will happen around mid 2018

I somehow hope this proves to be wrong. Does anyone have some concrete info on launch date to negate this ?

I am planning to buy a diesel automatic around 10 lakh, and the options available now are Ameo, Zest, Dzire, TUV.

With no Brezza AMT in sight, Nexon was a great option in terms of design, engine and interiors.
With the test mules still going around, I guess they are still testing something. In any case, it was to be launched around the 2017 festive season - as per earlier 'leaks'. So 2018 is just a month or 2 away. From your perspective though, I agree, 1 year might be too long a wait, if you need a car right now.
Old 27th February 2017, 11:44   #576
BHPian

Quote:
I am planning to buy a diesel automatic around 10 lakh, and the options available now are Ameo, Zest, Dzire, TUV.

With no Brezza AMT in sight, Nexon was a great option in terms of design, engine and interiors.
Even if Nexon launches mid-late 2017, it is advisable to wait for alteast an year post launch for all the niggles to be fixed. Even Toyota could not provide a problem free launch for crysta.
Old 27th February 2017, 12:15   #577
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone have some concrete info on launch date to negate this ?
The Nexon is still chalked up for a September 2017 launch, just before Dusshera, as per my sources.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
With the test mules still going around, I guess they are still testing something.
The 1.2L turbo-charged petrol's testing is almost finished. The 1.5L diesel is still being extensively tested, since it's an all-new block.

If you are ready to wait, I can promise you that the wait will be worth it.
RavenAvi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:20   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
The Nexon is still chalked up for a September 2017 launch, just before Dusshera, as per my sources.
Yes. True. Some reliable birdies i know also chirp the same

Quote:
The 1.5L diesel is still being extensively tested, since it's an all-new block.
Yes. Reliable birdies says, negligible turbo lag and quite a bit of wallop in the mid range with very good FE figures.

Quote:
I am.
arjab is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 12:56   #579
BHPian

Quote:

The 1.2L turbo-charged petrol's testing is almost finished. The 1.5L diesel is still being extensively tested, since it's an all-new block.

Do you know what would be the approximate price range that they might target?

We have a function coming up in December and I am thinking of buying Tigor but can wait if Nexon launches in September.
Old 27th February 2017, 17:07   #580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasathlr View Post
Do you know what would be the approximate price range that they might target?
Expect a pricing of around Rs 55,000-60,000 less than the Ford EcoSport, variant to variant.
RavenAvi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 18:28   #581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expect a pricing of around Rs 55,000-60,000 less than the Ford EcoSport, variant to variant.
Yes. Safe guess. 25-30k less than Brezza variant - to - variant is what the bean counters have been told to arrive at. Just hope TML stuffs enough units in the dealer pipeline so that customers do not have to twiddle their thumbs waiting for their car to get delivered while prices creep up.
What i hear - interior quality is very good.

Last edited by arjab : 27th February 2017 at 18:29.
arjab is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 18:51   #582
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Yes. Safe guess. 25-30k less than Brezza variant - to - variant is what the bean counters have been told to arrive at...
Can I safely assume the product will be loaded better than the competition too (variant to variant)?

Two questions, couldn't hold

1. Is Cruise control on offer?
2. Do we get a sub woofer too or is it going to be the same ICE as Zest?

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 27th February 2017 at 18:53.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2017, 19:36   #583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Yes. Safe guess. 25-30k less than Brezza variant - to - variant.
I do hope they price it more aggressively than that. 55-60k lesser than the corresponding Brezza variant and a very small wait period should lure away the potential Brezza buyers. At a difference of 25-30k, most buyers would prefer to go with the Brezza which has been around for several months now, instead of betting on a brand new Tata.

I'm no fan of Maruti's interior or build quality and
yes the Nexon looks excellent on paper, but when you have a new product competing against an established player, I don't think a 4-5% discount will sway the herd.
perty is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2017, 10:42   #584
BHPian

Quote:

The 1.2L turbo-charged petrol's testing is almost finished.
If testing is complete for 1.2 turbo. Do they have any plan of launching Tiago Sport with this engine? There was rumor some time back on shelving Bolt Sport and launching Tiago Sport.
Old 28th February 2017, 11:46   #585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Can I safely assume the product will be loaded better than the competition too (variant to variant)?

1. Is Cruise control on offer?
2. Do we get a sub woofer too or is it going to be the same ICE as Zest?
Definitely.

1. Nope, but 3 drive modes will be on offer.

2. Reports indicate otherwise. I suspect it will be an 8-speaker system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashant View Post
If testing is complete for 1.2 turbo. Do they have any plan of launching Tiago Sport with this engine? There was rumor some time back on shelving Bolt Sport and launching Tiago Sport.
It was being planned sometime back but no news since. They are mainly concentrating on the Tigor, Tiago AMT, Nexon & Hexa XMA 4x4 right now.

Will dig on this and report back soon.
RavenAvi is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks